Start by marking “The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust

The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  17 reviews
'He who saves one life, it is as if he saved an entire world'

The Holocaust will be forever numbered amongst the darkest of days in human civilisation. Yet even in that darkness, there were sparks of light. Many will recognise the names of Oskar Schindler, Raoul Wallenberg and Miep Gies. But there were thousands of others throughout Europe who risked their own lives to save...more
Published by Henry Holt and Co.; Doubleday (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Righteous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Righteous

Meaghan
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, it was nothing if not thorough, full of thousands of tales of human decency and tender courage in the face of death. I believe people have a duty to remember the heroes of history, and the Righteous Gentiles were certainly heroes. There are so many inspirational and touching tales in here.

On the other hand, though...I was kind of disappointed by the book too. Martin Gilbert is an internationally recognized historian, and I've been impressed...more
Tim
Another on the Holocaust ... I know, I know, I've got to move on.

But this was very uplifting, though tedious at the same time, because so many of the stories were similar. Someone at great risk helped a Jew to survive.

And yet - the author methodically moves from one country to another describing the heroic acts there, and how a whole Jewish agency, Yad Vashem, The Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority was established to chronicle these acts, and name those who helped others as "...more
Jeslyn
Not a Holocaust perspective that gets a lot of attention, Martin Gilbert has done an outstanding job of painstakingly chronicling the efforts of non-Jews throughout Europe and beyond to save their Jewish communities and refugees from deportation and death during World War II, actions which earned most of these individuals acknowledgment as Righteous Among The Nations by the Yad Vashem. Gilbert moves through these rescues country by country, and highlights the gestures, ordinary and extraordinary...more
Andrew
This was one of those books that you're happy that you're reading because you believe you are learning something of importance, but that is hard to get through none the less. In this particular instance the reason it was difficult to get through wasn't necessarily the horrific (though heroic) subject matter. It was the terrible style in which it was written. Mr. Gilbert tries to present a sampling of cases concerning the actions of The Righteous in Europe during the Holocaust. Not a bad idea, ce...more
Nathan
Inherently hopeful, this book is a welcome flash of light in the darkness of Holocaust histories. A simple and straightforward collection of anecdotes of Gentiles who saved the Jews, with no religious bias toward Catholic, Protestant or secular heroism. The tone is one of simple admiration and respectful remembrance. I didn't care for the format; Gilbert launches straight into the recollections, arbitrarily organized by geographic location, with little framing narrative. Still, the raw material...more
Heather Tomlinson
This book manages to find hope amongst that most harrowing of subjects: the Holocaust. It is a run-through of hundreds of stories of people who risked their lives and faced torture in order to rescue Jews during WWII. The stories are incredibly inspiring, the subjects courageous. The book is peppered with those who tried to help, but were captured and faced the consequences, so the horrors of this era are there to see.
The fascinating thing is how many were acting on religious impulse. Gilbert sp...more
Valerie
Excellent account of those who risked their own lives to save the Jews during the Holocaust. This should be required reading in schools. Too often we hear about the gruesome details of the Holocaust (which of course we should hear about them repeatedly so we never forget). How often do we hear about the GOOD that came out of the enormous tragedy? Not enough. This book does much to fill the gap.
Zachary
To be honest, I stopped this book after about fifty pages in. It seems to be more of a recounting of hundreds of individual stories than a cohesive narrative, which while an excellent and necessary thing is simply not what I was looking for when I picked it up. Not bad, just more dry than I was thinking when I got it, and I'm sure I'll end up picking it up again and finishing it.
Mar
While I was intrigued to find out what happened in various countries in terms of hiding the Jews during WWII, I was left wishing there was more to the story. Factual accounts and hard to know all the historical background especially when many of those in the resistance didn't use their "real" names. I was drawn to the Chapters on Holland, Poland and Italy and the Vatican.
Susan Ackland
I've always been moved by the stories of gentiles who helped Jews during the Holocaust. The only thing one could ask of others was that they not participate in the horrors; beyond that, no one could ask anything. These true stories, filled with gestures large and small, shine like candles in the dark.
Jeanette
Competent description of "righteous among nations" during the Holocaust. However, despite the historical significance and thrilling nature of the events described, this was a boring and disjointed read. Competent, but not creative or full of curiosity.
Angie
This wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. It was more a listing of heroes instead of details about their stories.
Craig J.
The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust by Sir Martin Gilbert (2004)
Exhaustive volume lacks the depth, narrative of author's "The Boys."
Anna
I was left wishing there was more to the story
Sue Malley
Some very courageous people
Lilher
Lilher marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Matthew Griffiths
Matthew Griffiths marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Joan
Joan is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Harriet Johnston
Harriet Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Carissa Spagnolo
Carissa Spagnolo marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Patty Todaro
Patty Todaro marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • The Origins of the Final Solution: The Evolution of Nazi Jewish Policy, September 1939-March 1942
  • The Good Old Days: The Holocaust as Seen by Its Perpetrators and Bystanders
  • Children in the Holocaust and World War II: Their Secret Diaries
  • Escape from Sobibor
  • Behind Enemy Lines: The True Story of a French Jewish Spy in Nazi Germany
  • The World Must Know: The History Of The Holocaust As Told In The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
  • Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Treblinka Survivor: The Life and Death of Hershl Sperling
  • In our Hearts we were Giants: The Remarkable Story of the Lilliput Troupe, a Dwarf Family's Survival of the Holocaust
  • Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz
  • The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust
  • Witness: Voices from the Holocaust
  • Nine Suitcases: A Memoir
  • Things We Couldn't Say
  • Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust
  • Hiding in the Spotlight: A Musical Prodigy's Story of Survival, 1941-1946
  • Nazi Germany and the Jews: The Years of Persecution, 1933-1939
Sir Martin John Gilbert is a British historian and Fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford. He is the author of over eighty books, including works on the Holocaust and Jewish history. Gilbert is a leading historian of the modern world, and is known as the official biographer of Sir Winston Churchill.
More about Martin Gilbert...
Churchill: A Life The First World War: A Complete History The Holocaust The Second World War: A Complete History Israel: A History