Start by marking “Classic Indian Cookery” as Want to Read:
Classic Indian Cookery

Classic Indian Cookery

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  784 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
This extraordinary cookbook is a complete course in Indian cuisine. When it was first published it was hailed by both Jane Grigson and Elizabeth David, who said of it... 'This is a marvellous book. Julie Sahni tackles the daunting task of presenting the multiple, complex traditions of Indian cookery to the Enlgish-speaking world and brings it off triumphantly.'
Paperback
Published July 31st 2004 by Grub Street (first published October 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Classic Indian Cookery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classic Indian Cookery

Jana
Dec 22, 2011 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed this book so far. I like that it has beef recipes from Northern India, too. I would not buy it if you do not have very close access to an Indian or World Grocery or a LOT of money to spend on buying and grinding spices.

I have been adapting some of the recipes for my pressure cooker and would highly recommend that.

Her directions and illustrations are absolutely spot on and I really enjoy learning about Indian culture.

However, like most classic cookbooks, this stuff is HARD!
Grace
Dec 09, 2014 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A rather bland and clinical approach to Indian cooking!

It lacked the passion and fieriness that I am accustomed to , in my own cooking.
Tim
Aug 29, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm assuming this is the same book I have although mine is ' cookery ' not ' cooking ' and was originally published in 1997 and reprinted 2005.
I will be honest, I don't often, and never have, cooked Indian dishes regularly, but I collect cook books.
Therefore my review is based more on a comparison of other cuisines and their associated cookery books.
As such, I was impressed.
It is laid out in a manner that would make it easy for anyone to to learn perhaps all they need to know in order to produce
Greta
Mar 07, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: cooking
This book is one of my favorites. Great recipes, easy to follow instructions. Delicious. Food in not greasy. Favorite recipes include: string beans with coconut, potato samosas, cauliflower ginger bread, lamb and raison patties, stuffed tomatoes, potato salad....too numerous to name all. This book is the staple of my Indian cooking.
Alice Cascorbi
Mar 03, 2016 Alice Cascorbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could have only one Indian cookbook, it would certainly be this one. The best book teaching Indian cooking in English that I know of, and I've read most of them. Clear and enjoyable to read, full of great history and information--and, most importantly, every recipe I've ever tried out of it has worked wonderfully well.
Yaaresse
You will never go wrong with a Julie Sahni cookbook. She makes cooking Indian food very doable.

Note: there are no pictures in her cookbooks. Get over it. Beans look like beans. Rice looks like rice.
Nyna
Aug 19, 2013 Nyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook and Julie Sahni's "Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking" are the bibles of Indian cooking. You will prepare heavenly dishes from either book. Don't miss making her garam masala.
Nick
Oct 26, 2012 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Indian cookbook on my shelf. I've worn it out and would love to find a special copy to keep pristine. Every time I try something new from it, I am richly rewarded.
Vera
Mar 27, 2013 Vera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to learn about Indian cooking
Shelves: cookbooks
My treasure trove for Indian cooking. Love both this and the vegetarian edition. A wealth of information, cover to cover - no photos as space fillers.
Bradford
Jul 08, 2007 Bradford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cookers and eaters
This is my bedrock for Indian cooking. Spices you need to know about, how to roast or fry them in the ghee, how to make ghee, what ghee is... it's good stuff.
Jason
Jul 26, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie does a wonderful job explaining the culture, preparation and techniques needed to make many iconic Indian dishes.
Roxy Nakamura
May 10, 2014 Roxy Nakamura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a delightful cookbook, with many easy recipes suitable for potlucks.

I bought this cookbook more than 10 years ago and have found it to be a reliable favorite. I think it was my first Indian cookbook, and it still beats the others I have hands down. I'm not a particularly skilled or patient cook, yet every recipe I have tried turned out well.

There is a down side, though: Sahni's recipes are far better than anything you encounter in restaurants (in the U.S., at least). Now Indian restaur
Judd Rogers
Jun 11, 2016 Judd Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice introduction to Indian cuisine.
Heather June Gibbons
Nov 11, 2008 Heather June Gibbons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to cook
Shelves: cooking
What a wonderful guide to cooking and eating Indian food! I love the introductory material that walks us through spices and how they combine, traditional cooking techniques, food as ritual and religious observance, and how the cuisine reflects and compliments the distinct cultures and climates of different regions. She does a good job, too, of adapting traditional recipes for the modern Western kitchen without oversimplifying them, I think. (But how would I know?)
Amy
May 04, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent indian cookbook. It focuses on recipes from all regions of india with sections on spices, cheeses, legumes, bread, meats, vegetables, soups, snacks, appetizers, beverages, desserts, rice, relishes, fish, poultry, eggs, and techniques. Book is designed for American kitchens and uses ingredients readily available, not always the case in international cookbooks. Love that tandoori chicken.
Alex
One thing I must emphasize about this book: if you keep vegetarian, DO NOT get the Sahni's vegetarian cookbook as a substitute for this one. Sahni's vegetarian cookbook is great, but it's a supplement to the vegetarian recipes in this book, not a replacement. Ignore the meat recipes and make things like cauliflower with scallions and black mustard seeds...
Meg
Mar 16, 2010 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
i didn't have a chance to try more recipes in this book, but it is a classic and I think has a lot of great information. I liked it, but would look at others before I would buy it.
Dh
Aug 31, 2008 Dh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well, I haven't gotten that far into this cookbook, but so far Ms. Sahni is three for three. She has forever changed the way I look at broccoli, and I will never look back.
Allison
Dec 26, 2007 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Indian Food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
A very nice collection of recipes from all over India - there are a few in here that I come back to again and again. Her commentary does a good job contextualizing each dish.
Kristie
Dec 13, 2012 Kristie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
The information and technical sections are really informative. The recipes, however, often start with 3/4 cup of oil. Ick.
Cwalsen
Aug 16, 2008 Cwalsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, nonfiction
My introduction to Indian cooking. Anyone can be successful following these excellent recipes.
baxter baxter
Jan 27, 2009 baxter baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-books
Well named as it's a classic, lots of info on ingredients and regional variations.
Foxthyme
Jul 21, 2008 Foxthyme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
A great East Indian Cookbook. I'd also highly recommend those by Madhur Jaffrey.
Jules Brugel
Aug 17, 2013 Jules Brugel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Great recipes, I wish I had someone who would make them for me. Hah!
Elizabeth
May 16, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Hannah
Key ingredient during Indian month.
Valerie
May 15, 2013 Valerie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much fried food.
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Tanuj Solanki
to hunt down
shakira queen gray
shakira queen gray marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Gary Johnson
Gary Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Breath of a Wok
  • 1080 Recipes
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • Indian Home Cooking: A Fresh Introduction to Indian Food, with More Than 150 Recipes
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • Into the Vietnamese Kitchen: Treasured Foodways, Modern Flavors
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World