Start by marking “McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers” as Want to Read:

This indispensable handbook provides helpful strategies for dealing with both the everyday challenges of university teaching and those that arise in efforts to maximize learning for every student. The suggested strategies are supported by research and adaptable to specific classroom situations. Rather than suggest a "set of recipes" to be followed mechanically, the book gi ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about McKeachie's Teaching Tips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McKeachie's Teaching Tips

Taylor
Apr 05, 2017 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graduate-school
This book was assigned as required reading for a graduate level class titled Teaching Professional and Technical Writing and this was such a good fit. It should really be the required reading of any GTA practicum because it covers so many bases! I've found the reading incredibly useful and have taken incredibly thorough notes throughout each chapter. I'm kind of disappointed I rented it from the bookstore--this one might need to find a permanent home on my bookshelf for an easy reach. I recommen ...more
Dan
Sep 03, 2010 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading just the first few chapter of this book, I know that it will be an outstanding and irreplaceable resource should I ever get a teaching position. I plan to purchase the newest edition, out this year, once I have a chance.
Melanie
May 18, 2017 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent resource for future and new professors.
Michelle Boyer
Like most teaching guides, there are a few things in here that are great. You might use some of these things daily, some every now and then, and of course there are a few things in here that I found would not work in my classroom. The goal here is to see ways in which you can better the education you are providing, which is possible (always!) and there are some good hints in here. I especially liked that there are "problems" listed with some ideas of how to go about changing those issues.
Matt Hlinak
Oct 04, 2012 Matt Hlinak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McKeachie’s Teaching Tips provides a valuable mix of educational theory and practical advice for instructors in higher education. The book is geared towards graduate students, who typically receive little formal training in instructional methodology, but is also helpful for more experienced instructors who haven’t had time to immerse themselves in the vast literature of teaching effectiveness. The book is organized into six major sections, from “Getting Started” to “Teaching for Higher-Level Goa ...more
Charmin
Jan 26, 2014 Charmin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prof-dev
Highlights:
1. Teaching effectiveness depends not just on what the teacher does, but rather on what the student does.
2. The lecturer’s own attitude and enthusiasm have an important effect on student motivation*
3. Providing feedback is more important than assigning a grade, you can use nongraded evaluation. Assess attainment of objectives.
3. Setting high expectations that challenge students while always assuring them they have the capacity to succeed
4. Students appreciate knowing that their learni
Russ
Feb 12, 2017 Russ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice insights and suggestions for new teaching assistants.
Greta Stuhlsatz
Nov 17, 2016 Greta Stuhlsatz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book on my shelf since the advisor of my teaching practicum suggested it. After having few other colleagues recommend it, I finally decided to read it. I'm currently taking a course on teaching and we were assigned a book report that we could write on any book, this sounded like the perfect opportunity. I loved it and I'm so glad I bought it so that I can keep it on my shelf in my office. While the book is a bit difficult to read, it's going to be an /excellent/ reference resource ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
There's lots of great pragmatic advice in this volume, particularly for relatively new teachers. Though the edition I read was dated in terms of what it had to offer to those teaching in our current digital environment, everything else about the volume seemed perfectly relevant to today. McKeachie covers loads of teaching tools and styles and provides good insight into the connections between student learning and all sorts of activities. I came away with ideas about things I might try in the cla ...more
Penny
Jun 04, 2007 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in preparation for my first classroom teaching gig. I think there's a lot of good info in here, although for someone like me with some ed. psych. background, it was mostly either common sense or things I'd already studied.

Although I breezed through it pretty fast and skimmed or skipped sections, I expect it will be a handy reference once I get into the classroom. It will help when I run into specific problems and need to think through solutions in a methodical way.
Maria Catherino
Dec 30, 2013 Maria Catherino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much of this book seems like common sense, that is until you set foot inside a classroom for the first time, and in a moment of pure terror foerget your own name.

This book is practical, which is a rareity amoung books for educators. It steers clear of calling the teaching experience "magical", "couragous", or "spiritual calling", instead focusing on the logisitics of grading, writing a syllabus and dealing with problem students.

A worthwile investment for the aspiring professor.
Doug
nothing in this book isn't obvious if you're a thoughtful teacher, but having it all written down by an experienced expert is helpful. I am an adjunct professor and I stumbled around a bit the first couple of times I taught. This should have been required reading before my first class. I had a few professors in college who needed this book, and they were supposed to be professionals.
Kristin
Jan 21, 2012 Kristin marked it as to-read
Shelves: references
I don't recommend reading this cover to cover. Instead, put it on your bookshelf and consult it when needed. The short chapters make it easy to use for quick advice when you have a teaching challenge.

We use this book in the Center for Teaching and Learning's Early Career Teaching Program. I also recommend it for pharmacy residents who plan to teach in the classroom or lab.
Monique
Dec 20, 2014 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing resource for new college faculty. The authors research in the support that new faculty need is outstanding. Learn what you need to do from the planning stages to collaborative learning activities inside and outside the classroom. Should be required reading for all college faculty...focus on student learning.
Charles
Mar 03, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Someone gave me a copy of this book, in a much earlier 7th edition version, when I first started teaching in graduate school. I found it a wonderful aid to help me through my first year. There's a lot of stuff that might seem old hat to teachers who've been doing in a long time, but it was very good for me to have things stated in black and white like this.
Michele
Jan 15, 2010 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to be a professor and any TA!
Recommended to Michele by: Professor for my teaching course
Amazing book. McKeachie has more than enough experience to fill hundred's of books. Well written, great tips for beginning professors/teaching assistants and those that need some new ideas. I highly recommend this!!! I also went to a conference to see an interview with McKeachie...he has still got it after all these years! (Plus he signed my copy :P...yes I am a nerd)
Lisa
Although this text did deliver SOME specific strategies and tools, overall it was more of a simple overview of teaching. This may be very effective for newer instructors, especially those who are shifting to education from another field or who have had no formal training in education, but for me, a seasoned teacher, it fell a bit flat.
Jacob
Jun 10, 2008 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In-depth (400 pages), strategies, research, and theory for university teachers. A very good book! It basically sets forth the considerations and practices that the "ideal" teacher would implement. It is at times impractical but you'd love to see all your teachers doing half this stuff. Good information and ideas to consider.
Deniss Rutseikov Ojastu
A very good collection of practical tips for teaching at the university, supported by the research on cognitive learning. A logical structure of the book makes it easy to read. I've got many useful tips for my teaching tenure.
jacky
Nov 26, 2007 jacky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This is a teaching book my father picked up somewhere for me. I have only used one section of it which was about handling difficult students. I can't really remember what it said so I guess it wasn't that useful!
Yamanda
If you want to get really hyped about teaching college-level courses -- and then really anxious that you'll never be any good at it because no one is giving you concrete-enough advice -- then this is your book.
Queen
Jul 28, 2014 Queen rated it really liked it
Shelves: tangible-library
Second textbook of graduate studies for Adult Education at ECU. Very detailed and comprehensive. Having experience as a teacher I could relate to a lot of it, and further analysis of situations added to the "toolbox" of strategies or issues I might face with students in the classroom.
Ja
Jul 11, 2012 Ja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful.
Vincent Darlage
Sep 20, 2012 Vincent Darlage rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
This is a pretty good reference for teachers.
Tim Lepczyk
I need to revisit this again. Highly recommend.
Anna
Jun 19, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
Fantastic tips for teaching, college level particularly. I'm a little biased though because I have Svinicki as a prof, and I've already learned so much in her course.
Kennedy
Apr 23, 2007 Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2003
This is a great hands-on guide to teaching at the college level. It offers pertinent information and ideas for college instructors.
Dioscita
I'm embarrassed about it, but I liked this book.
Sandra
Sep 11, 2008 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching-books
This book may be useful but it quotes far too many other books to be unique or stand alone "new" information. It is sort of a reference book of other books.

Bd Jimson
Mar 10, 2014 Bd Jimson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent little book for Course designers and online instructors and will serve as excellent reference throughout your educational career.
  • What the Best College Teachers Do
  • Tools for Teaching
  • The Joy of Teaching: A Practical Guide for New College Instructors
  • Teaching What You Don't Know
  • Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom
  • Discussion as a Way of Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Democratic Classrooms
  • Learner-Centered Teaching
  • On Course: A Week-By-Week Guide to Your First Semester of College Teaching
  • Dissertations and Theses from Start to Finish: Psychology and Related Fields
  • The Power of Maps
  • A Pedagogy for Liberation: Dialogues on Transforming Education
  • Literature as Exploration
  • Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses
  • Surviving Your Dissertation: A Comprehensive Guide to Content and Process
  • The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life
  • The Bedford Handbook
  • Teaching with Your Mouth Shut
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
Wilbert James (Bill) McKeachie (born August 24, 1921) is a retired American psychologist. He served as president of the American Psychological Association, the American Psychological Foundation and the American Association of Higher Education. He was a longtime faculty member at the University of Michigan and is the author of a widely read textbook on college teaching.
More about Wilbert J. McKeachie...