Start by marking “The Madoff Chronicles: Inside the Secret World of Bernie and Ruth” as Want to Read:
The Madoff Chronicles: Inside the Secret World of Bernie and Ruth

The Madoff Chronicles: Inside the Secret World of Bernie and Ruth

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Behind the walls of the house that lies built

After the news broke of Bernie Madoff's arrest on December 11, 2008, the facts were hard to grasp. Madoff claimed to have stolen fifty billion dollars; the sum seemed impossibly large. But of course it wasn't impossible. And that was only the beginning of the story.

As chief investigative correspondent for ABC News, Brian Ross ha...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Hyperion (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Madoff Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Madoff Chronicles

Jack Lehnen
This was a very good insight into the mind and family of this master minupulator and thief. The book is not big, but, it is a good read and pretty much gives you the whole Uncle Bernie story .

It is hard what to say about this guy except there is just no conscience here at all .

I think you will enjoy the book if for nothing else just to see what makes this guy and people like him tick .

I guess it boils down to , are thirty years of living like nobody else in the world can, worth being in prison...more
Judith
Fascinating. I don't know how he slept at night but he is a master of deceit.
Steve
The author had access to two major individuals - Madoff's assistant and a former security person, referred to as "Little Rick." The author is an ABC reporter, and he quotes various ABC commentators throughout. While there were some insights, overall it read like a listing of things Madoff's assistant and Little Rick recalled, in addition to commentary by ABC journalists and publicly available information, and as a result gaps were present. The writer needs to read more nonfiction that reads like...more
Steven Knapp
I loved this book. Most of the information has already been out there in the news, but the book brings it all together which is convenient. Also, being 2012, some of the details have started to get fuzzy. It does a good job telling the personal side of the story (the people involved, the people that tried to stop it, investors, feeder funds, family, etc.), as well explaining the specifics of the fraud.

The real strength of the book, in my opinion though, are the take away lessons. For example:

-I...more
Jamie Barnes
This has to be one of the world's most sloppily edited and written books. How many times do we have to be told Madoff did not pick stocks, that he and his family used Platinum American Express Cards (There's actually a more exclusive Black Card offered by this same company, but I digress.), and other repetitive stuff. A lot of the language used is pedestrian and at times you're going to want to scream at how many times Brian Ross, the reputed author --he probably was, because a professional writ...more
Deb Penning
I don't speak "Wall Street" or high finance but was fascinated by the crime Bernie Madoff masterminded!

The Madoff Chronicles by Brian Ross is an amazing account of this incredible crime! It tells of the day/in day out activities of Bernie and his crew. You will be on the edge of your seat every time the SEC stops by, and then leaves having found nothing of interest!

Ross, his sources and colleagues deliver the story in a manner that returns great dividends to those curious about how this could h...more
Jane
This is the third book on Bernie Madoff that I have read. Each had its strengths. Mr. Ross's is that he manages to compress the sorry tale into a rather short, but gripping narrative. His book contained a bit more of a character study than the others. Because the author interviewed Mr. Madoff's lifelong and devoted secretary (now disillusioned), it gave this book some behind the scene glimpses into the aftermath of the scandal. If you have to pick one on this subject, I highly recommend it.
Jan
I read this after reading The End of Normal. I just had to know what happened--what he did and how he did it. Interesting to know how many people were in on it AND how many people (who you'd have THOUGHT were in on it) weren't. Even crazier how many people got close enough to sniff out his crimes years in advance but never followed through. They are almost as guilty as he is.
Bill
This book gave a good deal of insight into the Madoff affair, zeroing in on the personalities and history. It was interesting reading and a good way to get some understanding of what Madoff did and how he did it.
Elin Hansen
I could not put this book down once I picked it up. Not since I read "Into This Air" by John Krakauer has another book caught my interest in such a profound way. Thank you Brian Ross, you are an excellent writer.
Ciara
Brian Ross was very engaging. I'd recommend this as light, non-fiction. The description of the Ponzi scheme itself was brief, but the character analysis of Bernie Madoff (and the people close to him) was not.
Alan Kaplan
Interesting story, but just a rehash of what was in the papers and on tv. No new information. Reads like a rush job to get out while the story is still hot.
Emily
A very quick read on one of the most ridiculous couples on the planet.
Pure proof that 'game face' gets you everywhere, until....
Barb
A behind the scene look at greed. How could he have gotten away with it for so long? Incompetence and complacency.
Rps2 Seawright
Bernie was all for Bernie and nobody else. Ross has done a fine piece of investigative reporting.
Jennifer R
This book is not really well-written and Brian Rose's sources seem a little sketchy.
Diana
So poorly written! Good review of the details I guess...
Mary
good, scarey as to money schemes
Andrea Kirwan-Taylor
I am loving this book...........
Luann Parkinson
Awesome book - what a crook!
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Malik Wingate
Malik Wingate marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Javier Fonseca
Javier Fonseca marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lunch with Krishna An Irish Nurse in Africa The Madoff Chronicles Understanding Africa Book 2 Understanding Africa Book 1