Start by marking “Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework” as Want to Read:
Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework

Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework (Zig and Wikki)

“Spiegelman weaves the science facts into the breezy narrative cleverly and painlessly, and the art...support[s] both the educational elements and the zingy story.” – Booklist

Zig and Wikki land on a planet full of strange creatures like flies, frogs, and raccoons, just when it seems to be lunchtime!
In their hilarious search for a pet, two friends, imagined by Nadja Spiegel
Published April 1st 2010 by TOON Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework

Flop to the Top! by Eleanor DavisOtto's Backwards Day by Frank CammusoMo and Jo Fighting Together Forever by Dean HaspielZig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework by Nadja SpiegelmanZig and Wikki in The Cow by Nadja Spiegelman
Toon Books Level 3
4th out of 10 books — 2 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussHop On Pop by Dr. SeussHappy Halloween by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Beginning Readers
41st out of 159 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Feb 22, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Zig and Wikki: Something Ate My Homework by Nadja Spiegelman, illustrated by Trade Loeffler follows two alien children who acccidentally land on Earth and discover our weird life forms, as they try to find a new pet for a homework assignment.

The text uses word bubbles along with Wikki's facts about animals that appear on his screen, some action words, and Chapter headings. A page about the authors and Wikki's fun facts appear at the end of the book.

The illustrations are fun. Animals pictured ar
Jasmine Yanich
This is a graphic novel that tells the story of Zig and Wikki, two aliens who are traveling in space when their teacher comes up on the screen telling Zig that his homework is late. Zig needs to find a pet for the class zoo ASAP. They think that they are heading to Zig's grandmother's house but they realize too late that they are headed to Earth instead. Zig decides that maybe they can find a pet for him on this planet instead. They run into a fly, dragonfly, frog, and raccoon and fail to captur ...more
Nicola Mansfield
May 14, 2010 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: My son read this aloud to me as his reader.

Zig is late handing in his assignment, a pet for the class zoo. While he and Wikki, an animate computer, are flying around the galaxy they find themselves near Earth where they drop by to see if they can find an animal for Zig's assignment.

This Toon Reader is slightly different than all the others to date. It is described on the website as being "science-based". How this happens is that every now and then when the two are confronted
Mary Ann
Jun 10, 2010 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
This newest in TOON Book’s graphic novels for early readers will please reluctant older readers as well as newer readers, combining humorous comics with interesting nonfiction snippets. Zig, a cyclops alien child, is out flying in his spaceship with his best friend Wikki, a walking computer. When Zig's teacher calls telling him that his homework is late, Zig lands the spaceship on the nearest planet, Earth, in search of a class pet. Each time they meet an animal on Earth, Wikki's computer flashe ...more
Sam Wojtaszek
Nov 21, 2014 Sam Wojtaszek rated it it was amazing
This was cute-- aliens learning about various species (and the food chain) on earth while trying (and accidentally succeeding!) in finding a space pet for the class project. Wiki, who is like a little computer or TV, adds some nonfiction to the story as his screen flashes on with factual tidbits and images of new specimens they find.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Jul 19, 2010 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it did not like it
As a TOON book, I thought this was more successful plot-wise than Little Mouse Gets Dressed. At least something happens with a little bit of suspense, some exploration, and a bit of a chase scene. My biggest concern is that the story feels unsupported and a little random. Maybe the set up of tiny aliens exploring earth in search of a “pet” to take to class is a little too obvious with the insertion of facts about the animals they encounter. The art is okay, but didn’t really grab me. I think may ...more
Alison Criner
I'll admit I wasn't crazy about the book. I thought it was a little boring. But I think kids that are learning to read and emerging readers might like it. Also, it is in graphic format and and lots of kids are into graphic books.
Mckinley
May 12, 2015 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Fun way to introduce animals and the food chain.
Melanie Fernandez
Feb 12, 2013 Melanie Fernandez rated it really liked it
Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework is a graphic novel about 2 alien friends zipping through space. Zig needs to find a pet for school and ends up travelling to earth to find a pet. When he comes across possible pets such as a fly or a frog, the book knits in facts about these creatures. Some of the facts mentioned were new to me. Additional facts are also listed on the last page of the book. I thought this was a humorous, light, entertaining book appropriate for early elementary aged stu ...more
Terry
My daughter loved this book and re-read it several times. The first time through she was mostly interested in the story. In subsequent readings she focused on the boxes with facts about the various insects and animals. Then she made the "food chain" connections about what eats what.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Dolly
Jan 18, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the first book featuring two funny young aliens named Zig and Wikki. The graphic novels are entertaining and the stories actually teach a little about science, too. This tale depicts Zig and Wikki searching for a pet to bring back to school. We all read this book independently and we all agreed that it was a fun story.
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Two alien children land on Earth and discover our weird life forms, e.g., houseflies, dragonflies, and frogs. The mixture of science information with a fantastic story if reminiscent of the Magic School Bus series. Factoids about each with realistic renderings are laid over the dominant cartoony style, resulting in a kind of post-modern look without delving deeply into the scientific part.
Jul 11, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, sch
I love the graphic novel-style easy reader Toon Books - this installment brings aliens to earth looking for a pet for their class zoo - each of the creatures they encouter is also presented with interesting facts that will may encourage new readers to seek out more information about the animals. (did you know dragonflies can fly forwards, backwards and sideways?)
Patrice Sartor
I found the artwork and story to be just average. I liked that every so often a fact will be presented in a different panel, one that describes what the characters are dealing with (like explaining why male frogs croak). This is a great addition to a wonderful idea---graphic novels for the easy reader set! I only wish the execution were more to my taste.
Justyn Rampa
Jun 16, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it really liked it
A fun little book about aliens working on a homework assignment, you know, like they do.

There are some fun facts about bugs and other animals that were equal parts informative and disgusting.

This is the first book that seemed really geared towards boys and I bet a lot of little boys would love these characters.

Well done!
Beth
Apr 07, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
Toon book graphic novel about a little alien boy and his robot-computer helper who go hunting for a pet. Declan (age6) loves it. I was luke-warm about it, as the non-ficiton asides seemed rather clunky mixed into the fiction, and mild action was predictable. But I underestimated the appeal of it!
Beverly
Mar 19, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-beginners
Cute story with cute pictures in comic book style. Alien Zig has to bring a pet to class, and when he and Wikki land on Earth, he decides to catch an earth animal. However, each one he tries to catch is eaten by something bigger. Very good for elementary age children.
Jennie Smith
Aug 16, 2011 Jennie Smith rated it really liked it
This is a great book for science too because it deals with animals and the "circle of life" so to speak! Love Zig and Wikki!!
Rachel
Great easy reader graphic novel for elementary level. Story is plodding but it it is great for the age group.
Nadelle
Graphic novel. My 8 year old read it and rated it a 3.
Crystal
Aug 02, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
Simple graphic novel. Fun space adventure.
John
Sep 11, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love how it incorporates non-fiction.
Esther
Mason
May 30, 2012 Mason rated it liked it
!
Kayli Weeks
Kayli Weeks marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2016
leramoh solomon
leramoh solomon rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • Stinky
  • Benny and Penny in the Toy Breaker: TOON Level 2
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • The Shark King
  • Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • Luke on the Loose
  • Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Jack and the Box: TOON Level 1
  • Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown (Lunch Lady, #4)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
Nadja Spiegelman is the Eisner-award nominated author of the ZIG AND WIKKI graphic series for young children and LOST IN NYC: A SUBWAY ADVENTURE. Her forthcoming memoir, "I'm Supposed to Protect You from All This," will be published by Riverhead Books in August 2016. She currently divides her time between Paris and Brooklyn.
More about Nadja Spiegelman...

Zig and Wikki (2 books)