Start by marking “Slovenly Betsy” as Want to Read:
Slovenly Betsy

Slovenly Betsy

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published April 1st 2007 by Book Jungle

To ask other readers questions about Slovenly Betsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slovenly Betsy

karen
Aug 27, 2015 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo IMG_8351_zpsyqnzigwg.jpg

if you've ever read Struwwelpeter or any of shel silverstein's cautionary-tale poetry, then you have probably already learned a thing or two about the many different ways in which being naughty can lead to an unforeseen downfall but also to a super-fun rhyming poem.

this is what i learned from this book about medicine and manners, through some of its stories.

What Happened to Lazy Charlotte

if you are too lazy to knit your own stockings while your mom is out and about in her bonnet, doing whateve
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I've had a lifelong, highly irrational love for Struwwelpeter, a gruesome set of German cautionary children's tales from 1845, set to rhyme, so when karen's review alerted me to the fact that Heinrich Hoffman wrote more of this bloodthirsty didactic poetry,* I was all over it, like Paulinchen is with matches.

*ETA: Or perhaps not. See comments 5 and 6 in the thread.

Slovenly Betsy is on Project Gutenberg only in English, not German -- I couldn't find a German version of this book even mentioned a
Melki
Jun 03, 2014 Melki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, poetry
Let's harken back to the good ole days, when children were seen and not heard, the rod was never spared and all naughty little imps got their just comeuppances.

Part Roald Dahl, part Charles Addams, part Old Testament, these little rhymes about recalcitrant tots serve as cautionary tales and guarantee one will spend childhood sitting on one's white-gloved hands, too afraid of repercussions to move an inch.

The seven deadly sins of childhood are all covered here - envy, sloth, gluttony, experiencin
Clementine
Hmmmm...is this kid-friendly? I guess the part about Pauline's apron catching on fire may give way to nightmares, but I'd take it over Disney princesses any day.
Dianna
This 1911 children's book is from the good old days when in stories children who played with matched burned up; gluttons were attacked by bees, jealous children turned yellow, and Santa actually didn't bring gifts to naughty children.

I found it quite amusing although I probably wouldn't read it to my children.

Here's a sample:

Pauline was burnt with all her clothes,
And arms and hands, and eyes and nose;
Till she had nothing more to lose
Except her little scarlet shoes;
And nothing else but these wa
Cheryl
Mar 10, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Dianna
Strongly worded rhymes about such virtues as cleanliness, pride, industrious, etc.. Some might be too scary for sensitive children.

Ironically, my great-aunt was named Pauline and she died when the lamp spilled kerosene all over her and ignited. She was home alone with her toddler son.

I read this free thanks to the hard work of volunteers at Project Gutenberg.
Bettie☯
Jenna
Mar 28, 2010 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If children were given this book now, it would be called mean and graphic. Our politically correct world would never produce something like this today. I love it though. The poems and pictures do get their point across about different behaviors. I really enjoyed this but I don't think I would read this to a child younger than eight years old.
Sean
Mar 26, 2009 Sean marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NULL
Alicia
Mar 14, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully demented moralistic children's stories in verse. Just the thing to puck up a dull monday morning at the office.
Varan
Varan rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Flávia
Flávia rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Hajnal
Hajnal rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2010
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Sarah rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Christopher Adams
Christopher Adams rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Gina Covarrubias
Gina Covarrubias rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Sarah Crawford
Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Avis Black
Avis Black rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2008
Hairpie
Hairpie rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2013
Carole
Carole rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2011
Deathraceking
Deathraceking rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
M.
M. rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2010
Eric Erickson
Eric Erickson rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Lori Fury
Lori Fury rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Jennifer Ball
Jennifer Ball rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Camilla
Camilla rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Simran Sandhu
Simran Sandhu rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Note: There is more than one Heinrich Hoffman.

Heinrich Hoffmann was a German psychiatrist, who also wrote some short works including Der Struwwelpeter (German for either "slovenly Peter" or "shock-haired Peter"), an illustrated book portraying children misbehaving.

He wrote under the following names:

- Polykarpus Gastfenger (The given name is the German version of that of a Christian martyr; the su
More about Heinrich Hoffmann...