Start by marking “Slovenly Betsy” as Want to Read:
Slovenly Betsy

Slovenly Betsy

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published April 1st 2007 by Book Jungle

To ask other readers questions about Slovenly Betsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slovenly Betsy

Melki
Let's harken back to the good ole days, when children were seen and not heard, the rod was never spared and all naughty little imps got their just comeuppances.

Part Roald Dahl, part Charles Addams, part Old Testament, these little rhymes about recalcitrant tots serve as cautionary tales and guarantee one will spend childhood sitting on one's white-gloved hands, too afraid of repercussions to move an inch.

The seven deadly sins of childhood are all covered here - envy, sloth, gluttony, experiencin
Clementine
Hmmmm...is this kid-friendly? I guess the part about Pauline's apron catching on fire may give way to nightmares, but I'd take it over Disney princesses any day.
Cheryl
Mar 10, 2011 Cheryl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Dianna
Strongly worded rhymes about such virtues as cleanliness, pride, industrious, etc.. Some might be too scary for sensitive children.

Ironically, my great-aunt was named Pauline and she died when the lamp spilled kerosene all over her and ignited. She was home alone with her toddler son.

I read this free thanks to the hard work of volunteers at Project Gutenberg.
Dianna
This 1911 children's book is from the good old days when in stories children who played with matched burned up; gluttons were attacked by bees, jealous children turned yellow, and Santa actually didn't bring gifts to naughty children.

I found it quite amusing although I probably wouldn't read it to my children.

Here's a sample:

Pauline was burnt with all her clothes,
And arms and hands, and eyes and nose;
Till she had nothing more to lose
Except her little scarlet shoes;
And nothing else but these wa
Jenna
If children were given this book now, it would be called mean and graphic. Our politically correct world would never produce something like this today. I love it though. The poems and pictures do get their point across about different behaviors. I really enjoyed this but I don't think I would read this to a child younger than eight years old.
Alicia
Delightfully demented moralistic children's stories in verse. Just the thing to puck up a dull monday morning at the office.
Sean
Mar 26, 2009 Sean marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
NULL
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Chris Smith
Chris Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mar
Mar marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Amber Moore
Amber Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Jacob Wren
Jacob Wren marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Dan's Obsessions
Dan's Obsessions marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Staci
Staci added it
Apr 14, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Note: There is more than one Heinrich Hoffman.

Heinrich Hoffmann was a German psychiatrist, who also wrote some short works including Der Struwwelpeter (German for either "slovenly Peter" or "shock-haired Peter"), an illustrated book portraying children misbehaving.

He wrote under the following names:

- Polykarpus Gastfenger (The given name is the German version of that of a Christian martyr; the su
More about Heinrich Hoffmann...
Struwwelpeter Klassiker für Kinder Slovenly Kate and Other Stories: From the Struwwelpeter Library Die Klassiker In Einem Band!Lehrreiche Und Lustige Geschichten Von Kindern, Die Nicht Brav Sein Wollten . "Allerlei Weisheit und Torheit" : ein Lesebuch zum 200. Geburtstag des berühmten Frankfurter Arztes und Kinderbuchautors