Start by marking “Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)” as Want to Read:
Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)

Tides of Light (Galactic Center #4)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Now in a new, revised edition, the fourth book of the Nebula Award-winning author's Galactic Center series is a classic tale of man's future and fate--and the greatest mystery from outer space that humanity has ever encountered.
Published September 26th 2009 by Aspect (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tides of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tides of Light

Mouldy Squid
Following the departure of the Family Bishop from Snowglade, Tides of Light continues the Galactic Centre Saga by Gregory Benford. Here, Benford finally hits his stride with this series. He deftly introduces more pieces to the intragalactic puzzle he only hinted at in Great Sky River and presents us with a credible alien race. While the science here is not as hard as we are usually accustomed to with Benford, his writing is at the same level as his Sunborn.

Tides of Light details the adventures o
Bruce
Nov 29, 2015 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
This was a disappointing follow-on to "Great Sky River", and it was largely pacing that made the early-middle section of the book such a slog. At one point, I started to seriously consider Benford might be paying a kind of snarky homage to bad "Golden Age" science fiction, but eventually (and I do mean eventually), he remembered the story was supposed to be heading somewhere and managed to rescue the storyline from an otherwise ignominious end.

2.5 stars for this book plus an arbitrary .5 stars t
Thomas
Feb 06, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction, 2011
Gregory Benford describes himself as a physicist and amateur writer. If only more professional writers were as inspired. This is the first of this series I've read and it is wonderful. As in full of wonders - all the while being prone to sudden furious flashes of heightened surprise and delight.
Vincent Stoessel
My kind of #scifi! More in depth review at a later date. TGIF
Mars
Sep 13, 2016 Mars rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weak action, rather uninteresting characters, pointless aspirations, too many deux ex machinae.

The beginning of the book reads a lot like Idiocracy - "we're on this spaceship where everything is breaking and we have no idea how to fix it, and learning is just too haaaard!" - but without the sense of whatever-the-hell-it-was that Pump Six brought to the same situation.

Space travel is never adequately explained, but this IS the fourth book in the series so i will give it a very tentative benefit
David
Aug 29, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Set long into the future when humans have become a relict of their former glory. Once a space-faring race they are now confined to a few individual planets in the outer reaches of the galaxy, confined by the increased deprivations of the mech, a robot mechanical species who have virtually taken over control of the galaxy. The book is set in three distinct parts. The first, the humans voyage of flight from their devastated home planet out into space to a new world. In fact this flight has been pl ...more
Bill
Jan 23, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This is the fourth book in Benford's "Galactic Center" series, and the second one set far in the future. I finally liked it. But it was a tough slog through the middle third or so. I think the whole book could have used the tightening of another draft.

To his previous war between man and mechs, the author adds insectoid cybers and other organic and inorganic lifeforms that may or may not be sentient. The fascinating and frustrating part of this book was the totally alien point of view that the cy
Jim
Sep 20, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
TIDES OF LIGHT continues the saga of Killeen and the Family Bishop where Benford left off at the end of GREAT SKY RIVER. Having recently reread GREAT SKY RIVER, it is almost impossible for me to not compare these two tales. The stories of many of the characters continue in TIDES OF LIGHT and their growth and changes are very believable, but overall I think GREAT SKY RIVER is the better book. This is still a good book, maybe a very good book, but not of the caliber of its’ predecessor.
Linda
Jan 11, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book of this series has been the best so far. This one of the relatively few books where aliens actually feel alien and not just as a placeholder for an agenda or faction.

The focus on this book is Kileen, the protagonist of the 3rd book and Quath, an alien. The book switches between their points of view and does a great job of being hard SF at it's best.
K
Sep 29, 2012 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I love hard sci-fi because it is grounded in realism, I can almost believe it could come true. What I dislike about hard sci-fi is that it is often written by scientists. Their stories often lack the depth of human emotion that makes for good story telling. This book fits that profile. The storyline is excellent but the story telling was dry.
Sherrill Watson
Jul 15, 2015 Sherrill Watson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear. I read the first couple of chapters. Then slogged thru the next couple. Finally gave up & read the last chapter. So there's a terrible fight throughout this long book, Killeen (who's not very bright) loses his soul mate / girlfriend and finally get away and goes in search of more adventures. Sorry, I couldn't get into this, and I like sci-fi.
Ben
Apr 29, 2010 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bleh. I got this because I enjoyed Great Sky River a long time ago and wondered what happened to all the characters. I ended up skimming this one to see the general plot points and the resolution, the actual plot seemed forced in to continue the same series forward.
Tom Britz
Nov 10, 2013 Tom Britz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the Galactic Center series.
Lars
May 02, 2013 Lars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems sort of made up as benford goes along...
Paul Trott
Jul 27, 2015 Paul Trott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Author can actually write, the story is actually interesting, despite the first couple of books (which sucked)
Stephen Antczak
Sep 15, 2013 Stephen Antczak rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The story continues to be interesting.
Jon Senn
Oct 19, 2014 Jon Senn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was alright, but didn't compel me to read the next book in the series. Probably didn't help that I didn't know this was the 4th book in a series when I read it.
Georg
Feb 23, 2013 Georg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
too long and rather boring pace.
Bookbrow
Oct 31, 2010 Bookbrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two books of the Galactic series were Ok, the next two were very good.
Jay Mcmullen
Not bad.
Mark
Jan 11, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one. Another of Benford's 'hard SF' novels.
Laurel
Jul 26, 2011 Laurel marked it as read-pre-2008  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is fantastic, taking its reader on a wild voyage of the far future through the vast galaxy.
Manny Lorenzo
Manny Lorenzo rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2011
Saker
Saker rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2008
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2009
Christopher Haas
Christopher Haas rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Terrie
Terrie rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Joost Plattel
Joost Plattel rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
  • Slant (Queen of Angels, #4)
  • The River of Time
  • Beyond The Fall Of Night
  • Venus (The Grand Tour, #18)
  • Special Deliverance
  • Worlds Apart (Worlds 2)
  • The Gateway Trip (Heechee Saga, #5)
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare wit
More about Gregory Benford...

Galactic Center (6 books)
  • In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Center, #1)
  • Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
  • Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)