Start by marking “RESTful Web Services Cookbook: Solutions for Improving Scalability and Simplicity” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
While the REST design philosophy has captured the imagination of web and enterprise developers alike, using this approach to develop real web services is no picnic. This cookbook includes more than 100 recipes to help you take advantage of REST, HTTP, and the infrastructure of the Web. You'll learn ways to design RESTful web services for client and server applications that ...more
Published March 11th 2010 by Yahoo Press (first published 2010)

Sumit
Apr 25, 2016 Sumit rated it really liked it
This book is not an introduction to REST. But if you are already aware of what REST is, and are looking for a set of solutions to implement it, this is a book you must own. Practical and useful, this is definitely a practitioners handbook. The only drawback (in my view) is that the examples are mostly in AtomPub, rather than in JSON or XML.
Michael Koltsov
Dec 12, 2014 Michael Koltsov rated it really liked it
This book is a great collection of recipes to cook your web services. Unfortunately it's a bit outdated, but from my perspective most of its parts are still relevant. It's sort of a book that's easy to read and easy to comprehend, i would recommend it to anyone who strives to build robust and scalable web apps.

My score 4/5
Charles
Jan 09, 2012 Charles rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource for anyone designing or building a RESTful web API! It is extremely well written and concise considering the amount of material covered. The overall layout and flow of the book is surprisingly good too, considering it takes a "cookbook" style format. I ended up reading it cover to cover, re-referencing items as needed. The choice of topics covered are very well thought out too, and the descriptions of the problems and solutions in each topic are just as good. I ...more
Artur Gadelshin
May 01, 2014 Artur Gadelshin rated it really liked it
This one is a very useful book, which describe pragmatic REST concept.
Dwight Walker
Jan 24, 2016 Dwight Walker marked it as to-read
good for my Web business
Sridhar Jammalamadaka
Go to book for RESTful web services. As the book claims, it is a cookbook. Useful as a reference while developing RESTful Web Services. I liked the chapters on Security and Caching.
Dave
Apr 13, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing
My experience with this book was similar to that described in Charles Bihis' review. I also read it cover to cover, and have found it useful for foundational reference. I highly recommend this introduction to RESTful web services for software engineers.
Carlos
Dec 01, 2011 Carlos rated it liked it
Recommends it for: software engineers
Recommended to Carlos by: colleague
I'm still reading this, but I think this should be essential reading for anyone writing or designing a remote API.
Brett Dargan
Nov 29, 2010 Brett Dargan rated it really liked it
practical advice, good rationale.
Ken
Dec 07, 2013 Ken added it
False
Huthaifa
Huthaifa rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2016
Chitrank Dixit
Chitrank Dixit marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Nick Markovic
Nick Markovic marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Serg Bataev
Serg Bataev marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Dominic
Dominic is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Roger Foskett
Roger Foskett marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
joseph teresi jr
joseph teresi jr marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Nick Markovic
Nick Markovic marked it as to-read
Meh
Meh rated it liked it
Scallanan
Scallanan marked it as to-read
Haozhe Xu
Haozhe Xu is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2016
Lucianna
Lucianna marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Bruno Sapienza
Bruno Sapienza marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Alan Panno
Alan Panno marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Ueliton Freitas
Ueliton Freitas marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • RESTful Web Services
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Maintainable JavaScript
  • Play for Scala
  • Practical Vim: Edit Text at the Speed of Thought
  • Async JavaScript
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services
  • Functional Programming in Scala
  • Programming Concurrency on the JVM
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data On Time
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Java 8 in Action
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »