Start by marking “Masquerading Mistress (Harlequin Historical, #875)” as Want to Read:
Masquerading Mistress (Harlequin Historical, #875)

Masquerading Mistress (Harlequin Historical, #875)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Regency.

SURPRISING

The war-scarred Thornton Lindsay, Duke of Penborne, can scarcely believe the news when a beautiful stranger comes to London proclaiming to be his lover.

SECRETIVE

Caroline Anstretton is on the run and desperate. Her gamble that the reclusive duke won't leave the sanctuary of his home is lost when he coolly confronts her.

SENSUAL

Courtesan or charlatan, this m
Published June 1st 2008 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Masquerading Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masquerading Mistress

Beanbag Love
I got this book because it was on my Kindle recommendations (based on other authors I've bought) and it was a great price. It just didn't make it with me though.

I won't go into too much detail. It starts awkwardly, then gets intriguing for a chapter or two but then strings together so many coincidences it's practically PNR. The heroine is annoying in her expectations (which are really ridiculous considering choices that she has made) and a liar. Sure, she needs to be a liar, but after a while it
Denise
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The only real detraction was that there was a lot of information to keep straight and I felt it went on longer than it should have.

Thomas and Caroline are twins born in France to an Englishwoman. They have no idea who their father is and are on the run from the family of a man Thomas believes he killed. In London, Caroline rashly boasts that she was once the mistress of a reclusive Duke. Of course, said Duke confronts her about it - and the dance begins.

This book
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: C+

One night. All night. The clouds and the moon and the darkness rolled into one and the clenching want made her shake, made her sweat, made her say his name in the wildness of passion.

The happy couple....

Thornton Lindsay is a scarred, reclusive war hero – and also a Reluctant Duke. Caroline Anstretton is a desperate runaway who tells a London ballroom that the duke is her lover.

The set-up....

When the duke hears of Caroline’s outrageous claim, he propositions her, and naturally she accep
Lucimar
Tudo começa quando Caroline para fugir de uma situação colocado por seu irmão inventa que é amante Thornton Lindsay, Duke of Penborne, e que vive recluso por conta das cicatrizes que conseguiu quando era espião do governo e perdeu a mulher que amava e desde então se refugiava no campo, se isolando de todos. Ele então vai tomar satisfação porque ela disse isso e ao confrontá-la a deixa numa posição vergonhosa. Ele se sente atraído por ela e lhe propõe que fique com ele uma noite em troca de uma v ...more
Lynn
not your usual historical, it had a few extra twists and i really enjoyed it.
Christine Strowbridge
Bronwyn Rykiert
A fantastic read, I really enjoyed this book.

The love story is good, the intrigue is interesting and kept me entralled. I loved the characters Caroline Anstretton/Weatherby/St Claire and Thornton Lindsay, Duke of Penborne.

I found it well written and I Sophia James has other books that are just as good as this one.
adelina.
Good read, but nothing special, everything happened really fast, but characters were good so it wasn't that much of a waste to read this book.
Stephanie
A bit too long. Too much detail and then not enough detail in places.
Bob
Slow in spots, but an interesting premise, and a fun read. Good vacation fair.
Linda
Started 3/22/11 & quite good. Scarred hero

BJ Rose
see my Amazon review
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Fred
Fred added it
Oct 05, 2014
R~wka
R~wka marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
  • The Viking's Captive Princess
  • Married to a Stranger
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • The Maid of Lorne (Harlequin Historical, #786)
  • His Secret Duchess (Harlequin Historical #393)
  • The Duke's Cinderella Bride
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • Marriage of Mercy
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Historical)
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
Georgette Heyer novels formed Sophia James's reading tastes as a teenager lying in the sun on her grandmother's porch overlooking a wild west-coast beach.

Her writing life, however, started in Bilbao, Spain. After having three wisdom teeth extracted she was given a pile of Mills and Boons--filled with strong painkillers she imagined that she could pen one, too.

Many drafts later she thinks she has t
More about Sophia James...
One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2) The Border Lord High Seas To High Society (Wellinghams, #1) One Illicit Night (Wellinghams, #3) Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle\Governess to Christmas Bride\Duchess by Christmas