Start by marking “Can I Get a Witness?” as Want to Read:
Can I Get a Witness?

Can I Get a Witness?

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  585 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The irony of a divorce-court judge getting divorced herself is not lost on Vanessa Colton-Kirk. After all, she's seen everything in her notorious Houston courtroom, where she's presided over the breakup of countless unhappy and disillusioned couples. Even her own sister, Dionne, is dealing with a relationship drama of her own, a betrayal that's left Dionne hungry for reven ...more
Published July 15th 2008 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Can I Get a Witness?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can I Get a Witness?

Reading Mom
As It Seems

As `Can I Get a Witness?' opens we're introduced to Vanessa, a divorce court judge hearing a case about a cheating husband. Every day it was the same case, just different participants. The only thing that was appeasing was that this was simply a stepping stone to her political career. But what happens when, suddenly, the case being heard involves Vanessa and her husband? Not so ordinary now is it?

Rosalyn, the older sister, appears to have it all right. She's married to a preacher, wi
Tamara
OOSA
Family

Sisters Vanessa and Dionne seem to have trouble all over them. Older sister Rosalyn may not be in much trouble now, but she's seen her share and tries to assist as they try to get their selves in order.

Vanessa is brutal in her courtroom. She has dreams and her marriage sometimes collides with her time. When her husband is no longer capable of excusing Vanessa's missing in action tactics, she's caught up with pride and having to learn to not only forgive, but adjust. Is this marriage worth
Valerie Williams
The Irony of a divorce-court judge getting divorced herself is not lost on Vanessa Colton-Kirk. After all, she’s seen everything in her notorious Houston courtroom, where she’s presided over the breakup of countless unhappy and disillusioned couples. Even her own sister, Dionne, is dealing with a relationship drama of her own, a betrayal that’s left Dionne hungry for revenge on the man she hoped to marry. But when career-driven Vanessa chooses to work late on the night of her fifth wedding anniv ...more
Ashley
This is only the second book I've read by Reshonda Tate Billingsley, and it was awesome. I love reading books with a spiritual message. Would defiantly recommend this book as a must read.
Lady Krystal
I liked it, It was realistic. There were some unexpected things that happened throughout the story, but I'm glad with the way that things ended.
Jessica Krall
I'm really discovering new authors that I love during 2014! This is another first book by an author that is new to me. I can see why Ms. Billingsley has such a great following, reputation and high standing on the NY Times best sellers list. I really enjoyed this book and could barely put it down! Great relationship story that centers around several family members. Spoke to the closeness of family, the importance of faith and the lengths we will go to for love. Won't spoil the plot but there was ...more
Tia
Page turner!! Loved the outcome!!!
Nardsbaby Reader
The Devil Is A Lie!

India Jones-tanner
This was a very good book. The main theme is forgiveness, and a side theme would be revenge is not always sweet. The main characters, Vanessa and Dionne are sisters who are having relationship problems, most at their own doing. Instead of taking their problems to God, like their Aunt Ida advices, they take matters into their own hands, and that is where the drama begins.

Vanessa almost loses her job because she is letting her personal life take front and center in her divorce court. She is grante
Iisha
Judge Vanessa Colton-Kirk is all business when it comes to setting the precedence in her courtroom. Agenda seeking, Vanessa tosses caution to the wind and in her effort to secure a seat in the senate someday she causes a rift in her marriage. While Thomas is always bending, forgiving and easy going, he can no longer stand by and allow Vanessa to walk over him. When Vanessa finally relinquishes her pride to go after her man, another woman, who is willing to offer Thomas what Vanessa keeps denying ...more
Nanette Buchanan
They say "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". This quote is the basis of this well written novel with an underlying message to all regarding, forgiveness. Vanessa and Thomas Kirk have a marriage as do many other's with problems they have avoided. As always problems left unaddressed become a wedge between most couples and especially for a divorce lawyer who sets the fate for failing marriages daily. Vanessa's rage brings more than she can handle when she is suspended from her position. Filin ...more
Chris
Bree
I really enjoyed this novel there was never a dull moment. It was interesting from beginning to end. I like how Aunt Ida stayed on her girls. She always knew when something was with one of the sisters. She always told them the right thing to do. Vanessa did Thomas wrong by only thinking about herself but it all worked out for them at the end. Poor Alana needed psychiatric help seriously. Bruce was sticking by Dionne as her friend. Good ending .......
Adrenna Shipman
This is my first time reading a book by ReShonda Tate Billingsley and I must say I am hooked!! I started this book as part of a reading challenge and I knew that it would be completely different than what I am used to. But it had the drama I craved without the cursing and sex. Can't beat that with a stick!

Vanessa is a divorce judge who puts her career before her husband. After missing their Anniversary dinner for work, her husband Thomas is fed up and leaves. Vanessa's younger sister Dionne is i
D.lee
This was an excellent of hurt, betrayal, love and forgiveness. I have to say I wasn't fond of Vanessa through the majority of the book. She was self-righteous and pompous for my taste. Dionne was typical and clueless. Aunt Ida reminded me of my mother and grandmother.
Although Roland seemed like a jerk, his one redeeming quality was I truly believe he loved Dionne. Thomas was good guy who suffered a lapse in judgement and fell victim to a vengeful plot to destroy what he held dear. Rosolyn was th
Alisa Robinson stegall
Vanessa should have focused more on her marriage and not so much on her career. Dionne should have focused on true love and not just marriage. It was good that Rosolyn and her husband could still stay together even after she had a baby by another man.
Elaine
Ah, between 3 and 4 stars - no halves huh?

This novel moves along at a good pace; it's about relationships, forgiveness, and the lack of both.

Vanessa spends more time working on her career as a divorce court judge than with her husband. She's late for the special anniversary dinner he prepares for their 5th. When she returns home late for the planned meal, he is packing his bags. They argue and he leaves.

Her sister Dionne's lover's wife is divorcing him because he cheated on her. Someone comes
Lethea
Pretty good reading...sometimes long winded but pretty good overall.
Charmaine
A good book with a lot of drama
Stashia
loved every piece of it.
Damika
Yes ma'am Reshonda!
Malika
A quick and uncomplicated read. I truly wish the author had tried to add more depth to the story, because the Main Storyline is a compelling issue. Alas, the "villains" do and say all the things you would expect villains to do or say in their situations. And after the long build up and details, the story wraps up almost too quickly and too neatly to boot.

Not too taxing, it was a decent read for a Sunday afternoon over a few cups of coffee!
Bridget
I enjoyed this book and It had a few twists and turns that you could see coming, but the overall theme was great and I'm glad I read the book. The aunt in the main story was nosy but what person that has raised children into their grown years isn't. The aunt dished out too much advise, but she reminded me of ladies in my family. I love how Roslyn's husband was really there for her and I really loved the theme of love and forgiveness. Love can come in so many ways!
Alles Smith
This book is great. This book is ironic that a divorce court judge is now face with divorce herself. She must get over anger to forgive. The baby sister is so focused on her plan to be married by 30 that she will settle and do anything to make it happen. The oldest sister seems to be the only one who has everything together but come to find out she has skeletons in her closet that has been a challenge in her life/marriage also.
Raising Brown Girls
This book held my attention from the beginning to the end. It is indeed a good read. It contains betrayal, adultery, lies and ultimately the power of prayer and foegiveness. There are three sisters and each have had issues with betrayal and adultery in their (marital) relationships. Fortunately, their aunt has been their rock to guide, teach and pray for them.
MavLit Publishing

If it weren't for the fact that I really do respect Ms. ReShonda's work, I would have given it a much lower rating probably because of my personal biases against a couple of the scenarios involving the main female character. Maybe I'm guilty of one of them, in particular, hitting too close to home for my comfort.
Juanesia
This was a great Change of pace from my usual reads. The author dropped more than a few literary gems for the readers to contemplate. I fell in love with this book. I think that this author is timeless in her own right as her writing resume has already proven. Well done.
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Jezebel
  • Love Like Hallelujah (Hallelujah Love #2)
  • Blessed Trinity
  • The Bishop's Daughter
  • Boaz Brown
  • Second Sunday
  • The Best of Everything (Reverend Curtis Black, #6)
ReShonda Tate Billingsley is a general assignment reporter for KRIV-TV, the Fox affiliate in Houston, Texas. She is the author of the nonfiction book Help! I've Turned Into My Mother! and three previous adult novels: My Brother's Keeper, for which she received the prestigious Gold Pen Award for Best New Author from the Black Writer's Alliance and the Nova Lee Nation Award from the Greater Dallas W ...more
More about ReShonda Tate Billingsley...
I Know I've Been Changed Let the Church Say Amen Everybody Say Amen The Secret She Kept The Devil is a Lie