Start by marking “The Canticle Kingdom” as Want to Read:
The Canticle Kingdom

The Canticle Kingdom (The Canticle Kingdom #1)

It seemed like ages since Kate's father went off to war, and she is eager to
thank him for the beautiful German music box he sent for her birthday. But
when it starts playing a strange, new melody and Kate vanishes into thin air,
Captain Edison is willing to do anything to rescue his little girl.

When the Canticle Kingdom is attacked and the queen falls deathly ill, Joann,
a yo
Published February 1st 2010 by Bonneville Books

To ask other readers questions about The Canticle Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canticle Kingdom

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareTorment by Lauren KateHalo by Alexandra AdornettoCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Best Book Covers for 2010
190th out of 346 books — 3,250 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Mormon Fantasy
167th out of 171 books — 320 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara Wright
Apr 12, 2010 Barbara Wright added it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes adventure stories
Recommended to Barbara by: nobody - I won it here
I've never written a review before, so please pardon me if there are conventions I should be following. I really enjoyed this book. One of the complaints I have about most books geared toward young adults is that the adults in the book are dimwitted and it's always the kids who save the day. Not so with this book. I totally loved the relationship between Johann and Brigitta, but even the adults were interesting people and contributed to the storyline. And the whole premise of being inside the mu ...more
Michael Young
Jan 15, 2010 Michael Young rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my own book due out Feb 8th, 2010. Here's the blurb from the dust jacket:

It seemed like ages since Kate's father went off to war, and she is eager to
thank him for the beautiful German music box he sent for her birthday. But
when it starts playing a strange, new melody and Kate vanishes into thin air,
Captain Edison is willing to do anything to rescue his little girl.

When the Canticle Kingdom is attacked and the queen falls deathly ill, Joann,
a young blacksmith's apprentice, learns a ter
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Not as good as "The Canticle Prelude". Although a fun fantasy adventure, "The Canticle Kingdom" can be a bit confusing with its large cast of characters and many different outlines.

The fun parts include magic, knights, a good collaboration between child!protagonists and their adult!mentors, the idea of a kingdom inside a music box, flashes with the real world while the fantasy world moves on, flying!knights, the ghost of a queen, a little girl who is a cat and the power of music taken quite lit
JC
May 09, 2010 JC rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
This book was a quick paced adventure fantasy. There were tons of characters and the story got pretty involved and you had to keep your head on. This book seemed to be a mix of Hood and Lord of the Rings. The Canticle Kingdom is being threatened and several characters must work to save it. Add the fact that people are disappearing when they get hold of a special music box, and there are lots of problems to fix. I enjoyed the pace of the book for the most part and thought the book was new. The bo ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is a very interesting story. The Canticle Kingdom is a full originality and thought. This is Michael Young's first book, and it is well written for a first book. I think he did a great job.

The Canticle Kingdom is a kingdom within a music box. It follows the story in the Canticle Kingdom and the story of the music box that travels from Germany to the United States and back to Germany. The story mainly encompasses the story of the Canticle Kingdom.

The kingdom is failing within. Corruption an
Anna
Feb 03, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Kristie Stauffer
Sep 15, 2016 Kristie Stauffer rated it liked it
The plot line of the story was quite creative. I liked that. But some of dialogue seemed unnatural and forced. And there was way too much going through unknown maze-like tunnels. That got confusing quickly. I did like the going back and forth between time periods. I believe that was done well.
Chantele Sedgwick
May 03, 2010 Chantele Sedgwick rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I did like this book. There were a few confusing parts with so many characters jumping in and out of scenes, but being the author's first book, I think he did a great job. The music box was interesting, and I cared about the main characters enough to keep reading to find out what happened to them. The adults in the book weren't written to be stupid, or not knowing what was going on, which was nice. Some books with young main characters portray the adults to have no clue what's going on in their ...more
Allison
May 02, 2015 Allison rated it it was ok
At the end of the book I still had question about some of the things that happen. I wonder why we were told somethings. Maybe if I reread it I could figure it out, but I shouldn't have to do that.
Lisa
Jan 14, 2010 Lisa marked it as to-read
Ok, I just want to say that I totally know this guy well! I know him best as Elder Young! We served together for a long while on our mission and he and I became good friends and have kept in touch ever since. SO PLEASE READ THIS (LEGALLY)! It would be awesome if he does well and is given the opportunity to write more. Here's a good tagline from the cover:

"Enter a beautiful world full of magic, danger, loyalty, and bravery in
The Canticle Kingdom, and discover that even the most ordinary objects
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jun 15, 2010 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it did not like it
I think the over-all concept of this book is a good one. I found myself confused often though. I felt like the story jumped from one place to another and I felt myself wishing I knew more about the history of the kingdom, what motivated the characters and why things were happening. I feel like it lacked character development. In the end, I didn't feel much of anything for the characters. Maybe it was the writing style? I will say that it was a clean read, without the language or sexual content t ...more
Harmony
Apr 14, 2010 Harmony rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I believe this is the author's first book, and, unfortunately, it shows. I think the story and setting have a lot of potential, but the writing isn't very polished. The plot and major characters were interesting enough that I kept reading, but I wanted more character development, more details about the kingdom and it's history, and less jumpiness in the storyline. It was a little hard to keep track of all the characters, and introducing new characters simply to have them save the day and then di ...more
Stephanie C.
May 13, 2010 Stephanie C. rated it liked it
I liked it-the idea/concept of the story were original, the setting(s) fun and interesting, and the characters were likeable. But the writing of this book is a little choppy. The in and out of different scenes and settings, characters showing up in unexpected places; it was confusing. I like it when you have to think in a book-but this was a little...messy? Perhaps the authors unexperience showing, or some editor's lapse in their job?
But overall not bad for a first time book.
Maggie
Apr 09, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Maggie by: Michael Young
Shelves: 5th-grade, favorites
This book is awesome! I know the author personally, and he is awesome, too! I love the suspense in it. I couldn't put it down! Johann and Brigitta are such fun characters that make the book unexpected and exciting to read. I can't wait to read the next book by Michael Young and I look forward to seeing him at rehearsal today! :)
Heather
Jul 07, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it
I can count on one hand the books I have not been able to finish and sadly this was one of them. I really wanted this to be good. It sounded really clever and fun, but the writing was torturous. It was super confusing and I was so bored I kept falling asleep after five minutes of reading-seriously. I tried, I really tried...
Amy
Oct 09, 2012 Amy rated it did not like it
This book was SOOO disappointing! It wan't the story itself; infact it was interesting. It was the HORRIBLE writing! I couldn't get past it! It was so difficult to read this book. It didn't flow. It didn't always make sense. I was so frustrated I finally had to put it down. I blame the editor.
Teresa
May 09, 2010 Teresa is currently reading it
Hey-
This new book coming out Feb 8th is written by a Nephew (Kocherhans side)- His first novel! We are looking forward to his release party, and reading it! Good luck Michael! Any of my reading buddies that would like to write reviews, I'm sure he would appreciate the feedback.
Connie
Jul 10, 2010 Connie rated it it was ok
If I could have given this one 2 1/2 stars I would have...it was a little bit too discombobulated (sp?) for my liking. It bounced around so much that it was hard to keep everything straight..I guess if I could have read it from cover to cover in one sitting that may have helped...
Aug 09, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
the premise of this book is intriguing, and maybe it was because I read this book sporadically because it was a busy few weeks, but the book quickly fell apart for me. All of the characters are hard to keep track of and the ending was strange.
Mindy
Jan 29, 2011 Mindy rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. The story had potential, but there was TOO much going on and too many people to care about. I did enjoy the relationship between the kids. But half the time I would have to go back to reread things because I was lost.
Melissa
Sep 30, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
There was a lot going on in this book, but for his first one not bad. I wanted to keep reading just to find out how it all tied together. It was different from other books I have read but it was full of action.
Jenna
I read a review of this book (somewhere) that made it sound like an interesting read, but it really did not grab my interest, and I ended up returning to the library unfinished.
Tom Ricks
Jun 21, 2010 Tom Ricks rated it it was amazing
The Canticle Kingdom was very well written. I liked the characters and got lost in Young's created fantasy world. It was believable and I wanted to stay there!
Cami Checketts
Dec 21, 2010 Cami Checketts rated it really liked it
A fabulous read for middle readers on up. Great plot line and fantastic world building. My son and I can't wait for the sequel.
Mariana
Jun 28, 2010 Mariana rated it did not like it
I got through about 60 pages and was so bored and somewhat confused with this book that I quit reading it.
Karijean31
Oct 31, 2010 Karijean31 rated it it was ok
it was fun to read because I know the author but I admit I kind of got confused with the story a little.
Ashlie
Aug 03, 2010 Ashlie rated it liked it
i have never been a huge fantasy fan, but this kept my attention and interest. overall it was strange...
Skye
Aug 31, 2012 Skye rated it it was amazing
I was captivated by the plot. This book's a combination of magic, music, and mystery.
Valerie
Jul 04, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was quite good and a really enjoyed it! Nothing objectionable at all!
  • Reiyalindis
  • The Wolf Within
  • Diamonds for the Dead
  • House at Royal Oak: Starting Over & Rebuilding a Life One Room at a Time
  • Strong Justice (Caitlin Strong, #2)
  • Spy Games (Spy Camp, #2)
  • If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home By Now
  • Last Door
  • Pleasurably Undone!: Seducing a Stranger / The Viking's Forbidden Love-Slave / Disrobed and Dishonored / A Night for Her Pleasure / The Unlacing of Miss Leigh
  • The Man Who Never Returned
  • The Purloined Boy (The Weirdling Cycle, #1)
  • Janeology
  • The Slayer (Time Raiders #2)
  • Covert Pursuit
  • A Certain "Je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • Mesopotamia
  • Turning Thirty-Twelve
  • Inverloch Vol 1
Please sign up for my mailing list for the latest news: http://eepurl.com/cSE4Q

photo Author Header Picture.jpg

Michael is a graduate of Brigham Young University and Western Governor’s University with degrees in German Teaching, Music, and Instructional Design. Though he grew up traveling the world with his military father, he now lives in Utah with his wife, Jen, and his two sons. Michael enjoys acting in community theater, pla
More about Michael D. Young...

The Canticle Kingdom (3 books)
  • The Frozen Globe
  • The Canticle Prelude (The Canticle Kingdom, Prequel)