Start by marking “Dancing Feet!” as Want to Read:
Dancing Feet!

Dancing Feet!

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,444 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
Clickity!Clickity! Long green feet!
Who is dancing that clickity beat?

Lizard is dancing on clickity feet.

Clickity! Clickity! Happy feet!

Introducing a get-up-and-dance toddler book-so catchy and rhythmic, you'll almost want to sing it.

Published May 11th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Feet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Feet!

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
30th out of 74 books — 143 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
64th out of 326 books — 179 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
Mar 10, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it
Fun, lively, rhyming, brightly colored book about who is dancing on what feet. I was especially intrigued that the illustrator was Marc Brown and even more intrigued that he made is dedication to Leo Lionni who illustrated many children's books using collage. The technique of illustration in this title is collage using hand painted papers which make the illustrations have lots of "texture". Great combination of happy catchy words and gorgeous artful. Overall it had a Lionni feel and that's a com ...more
Tasha
Jun 11, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This bright, fun book is sure to have toddler toes tapping in no time. In alternating double-page spreads, children see the feet of an animal and then get to guess what it is. When the page is turned, the answer is revealed. The rhyme and rhythm here are great, adding to the dancing theme. Each set of animal feet make a noise from Tippity! Tippity! to Thumpity! Thumpity! This engaging picture book is ideal for toddler story time where children need to get their wiggles out.

Craig’s verses are fil
Anna Stover
Nov 07, 2014 Anna Stover rated it it was amazing
Totally fantastic book: it invites the kids in with every page. They can imagine which animal makes each sound, and guess which will come next. Better yet, they can mimic the beat of each animal. They spend the whole book dancing! Can't wait to read it with my pre-k/kindergarteners next time they're feeling antsy. It's such an exuberant celebration of dancing to your own independent rhythms.
Sarah's Book Nook
Jul 15, 2015 Sarah's Book Nook rated it really liked it
Neat story, and liked the illustrations also. My two year old and I would guess the animal/bug but its feet and she was right many of the times. She also loves stomping so that was a fun part, to go stompity stompity or do whatever each creature was doing. Bonus: whenever my little lady dances she shouts "happy feet happy feet!" so that being included in the story was fun for us.
Beth Bacon
Mar 26, 2014 Beth Bacon rated it it was amazing
Rhythmic and highly structured, this picture book flows like song lyrics, with a repeating refrain and parallel phrasing on every page. Could a parent who's reading this treat it like a dance or a poem? Collage images are colorful and spritely in style of Leo Lionni to whom images are dedicated. First describes animals' footsteps then children imitate the style of their steps.
Tim Protiva
Lindsey Craig's rollicking text features funny sound words (Tippity! Creepity! Stompity! Thumpity!), dancing animals, a singsong beat, and a guessing element just easy enough for preschoolers to anticipate. Great for kids to act and dance along with their favorite animals.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/14/11 -

I forget who picked this one out but I'm guessing Julia because she has some sort of fascination with toddler books. If you're kid is older than, oh, about 2 years, I'd pass on this.
The whole 'stompity, stompity' thing is enough to drive you crazy if you don't have a baby there to watch smile. And for some unexplained reason, because of all the 'stompity's' I couldn't say 'happy' when the need arose. I could only say 'happity'. Luckily this didn't last or I'd have
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Cute book but the rhyme gets on my nerves a bit for some reason. I do love the textures of the art, especially on the pages with more "white" (i.e. less patterned background) space- they're just so striking when given a bit more room. They remind me a bit of Eric Carle but a little less serious and more cheery.
Alice
Aug 31, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars I am going to gush! I love love love the artwork. Marc Brown is known for his Arther from PBS, but this is a different art form and it is really well done!! The writing is great! You can feel the beat and makes you want to clickty clack! Thanks for a great book!!
Felicia
Jan 27, 2015 Felicia rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This book would also be another great interactive book. The children could dance like the animals are. I choose this book based on the title hoping to would be a get up and moving type of book and I was not disappointed! The book is very short which is a pro and con.
Lauren
Jun 06, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
A fun board book with engaging, rhyming prose, bright illustrations and just enough pages for a quick bedtime story. At the end of the book there is a page that shows children of both genders and many ethnicities, which I appreciate in a children's book.
Samantha
This book begs for an active reading. Animals dance with different kinds of beats and feet prompting readers to copy their rhythms while identifying which animal is producing them.

Collage artwork is vibrant and textured. Great read aloud for PreK-2.
Mary Luzader
Aug 11, 2014 Mary Luzader rated it it was amazing
A great book for toddler storytime. Very repetitive but with enough variety to keep a young readers attention. It also lends itself to lots of movement and involvement as well as asking questions of children about the different feet and animals.
Karawan
Jan 29, 2014 Karawan rated it liked it
I think this book would be tremendous fun for a preschool-aged crowd. First you see an animal's feet, so you can guess who it is. Then you turn the page to reveal the whole animal dancing. Lots of fun verbs and onomatopoeia to describe the way each animal moves. I suspect I might rate this one higher if Gavin were older. At not quite one year he enjoyed hearing the rhythm of the words and stomping his feet, but the part about guessing which animal it is went right over his head. (For "guess the ...more
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Very cute. Big clear photos, repetitive with a guessing element. Can be a movement book but you have to really push for it. Worked better with older children who could guess the animals than the babies.
April
Sep 24, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
1. Rating: 5
2. Book Review from Publisher's Weekly: the pictures introduce a cheerful menagerie of animals composed of basic shapes cut from hand-painted papers in an array of colors, textures, and patterns that recall everything from corrugated cardboard to exotic grasses. Celebrating movement and sound, the guessing-game story hints at the identity of each creature, initially seen retreating from the page, leaving footprints behind.
3. I would recommend this book to any K-2 teacher and any rea
Sameerah 'sammi'
Jul 26, 2014 Sameerah 'sammi' rated it really liked it
My 3yr old son loved it. He had fun with the rhythm and guessing who the next creature would be. We read it so much, he memorized the whole thing!
Katy
Feb 24, 2015 Katy rated it it was amazing
When I read this book, we talk about the colors of the animals and how many animals are shown on each page. Great for 2 and 3 yr olds.
Katya
Fun and simple--doesn't scan as smoothly for me as I would have liked, but the babies at storytime enjoyed doing the different dances.
Diane
Mar 13, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
Authored by Lindsay Craig and Illustrated by Marc Brown, Dancing Feet is an adorable book for young children.

One page shows some "dancing feet", and the following page shows the animal or critter that the feet belong to along with a cute rhyming verse. (fun way to interact with young children and have them guess whose feet are shown).

There are: colorful ladybugs, ducks, caterpillars, lizards and even a big bear and elephant. The final page shows happy little "kids dancing feet" have fun with all
Candice
Sep 04, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book to read to even the youngest child. The first picture shows the feet of a dancing animal, and the text asks who is dancing that tippity or stompity or slappity or thumpity beat. Then the next page shows what animal is doing the dancing. The illustrations are bright collages that will capture a child's attention. The last page is terrific. It shows children dancing. The girl who is dancing "slappity" (duck)is wearing swim flippers while the boy who is dancing "clickety" (lizard) is dre ...more
Habrewer
Apr 04, 2012 Habrewer rated it really liked it
Shelves: lilly-read
Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig
Release Date – May 8, 2012
*A review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Dancing Feet is full of all kinds of animals that are getting up and dancing from ants to elephants and everything in between. The verses are entertaining and sure to captivate your little one. The illustrations are also bright and colorful. The rhythmic beat will have you wanting to dance along with them.

It was a lot of fun to read and I caught myself ta
Josie Boettcher
Jan 24, 2015 Josie Boettcher rated it really liked it
Not quite as catchy as Farmyard Beat, but still a fun book to read/sing to the kids while they sing and dance along.
Susan
Feb 27, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: storybook, 2016
The rhythms of this one are very entertaining as are the bright, simple, but still expressive illustrations.
Casandria
Sep 16, 2015 Casandria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool, toddler
Great rhyming book that introduces animals and their footprints. Good rhymes too! Use for story time
Nicol
Full of lively colors and various characters, this cute picture book encourages dancing. Great for any fun time read or reading aimed at dancing or musical beats.
Robin
Dec 18, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
Love the cute illustrations and the rhyming, dancing rhythm of the text.
Bonnie
Oct 10, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Toddler loved playing along with his own dancing, stompity, stampity feet.
Lakeside Branch
A movement filled book, perfect for those kids who just can't sit still.

jg
Tracy Morton
Oct 09, 2015 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun adverbs. The children can guess what animals are moving.
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Jump!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • If You're Hoppy