Dancing Feet!

Dancing Feet!

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Clickity!Clickity! Long green feet!
Who is dancing that clickity beat?

Lizard is dancing on clickity feet.

Clickity! Clickity! Happy feet!

Introducing a get-up-and-dance toddler book-so catchy and rhythmic, you'll almost want to sing it.

Published May 11th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Feet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Feet!

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
28th out of 78 books — 136 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
69th out of 286 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
This bright, fun book is sure to have toddler toes tapping in no time. In alternating double-page spreads, children see the feet of an animal and then get to guess what it is. When the page is turned, the answer is revealed. The rhyme and rhythm here are great, adding to the dancing theme. Each set of animal feet make a noise from Tippity! Tippity! to Thumpity! Thumpity! This engaging picture book is ideal for toddler story time where children need to get their wiggles out.

Craig’s verses are fil...more
Beth Bacon
Rhythmic and highly structured, this picture book flows like song lyrics, with a repeating refrain and parallel phrasing on every page. Could a parent who's reading this treat it like a dance or a poem? Collage images are colorful and spritely in style of Leo Lionni to whom images are dedicated. First describes animals' footsteps then children imitate the style of their steps.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/14/11 -

I forget who picked this one out but I'm guessing Julia because she has some sort of fascination with toddler books. If you're kid is older than, oh, about 2 years, I'd pass on this.
The whole 'stompity, stompity' thing is enough to drive you crazy if you don't have a baby there to watch smile. And for some unexplained reason, because of all the 'stompity's' I couldn't say 'happy' when the need arose. I could only say 'happity'. Luckily this didn't last or I'd have...more
Lauren
A fun board book with engaging, rhyming prose, bright illustrations and just enough pages for a quick bedtime story. At the end of the book there is a page that shows children of both genders and many ethnicities, which I appreciate in a children's book.
Samantha
This book begs for an active reading. Animals dance with different kinds of beats and feet prompting readers to copy their rhythms while identifying which animal is producing them.

Collage artwork is vibrant and textured. Great read aloud for PreK-2.
Mary Wirt
A great book for toddler storytime. Very repetitive but with enough variety to keep a young readers attention. It also lends itself to lots of movement and involvement as well as asking questions of children about the different feet and animals.
Karawan
I think this book would be tremendous fun for a preschool-aged crowd. First you see an animal's feet, so you can guess who it is. Then you turn the page to reveal the whole animal dancing. Lots of fun verbs and onomatopoeia to describe the way each animal moves. I suspect I might rate this one higher if Gavin were older. At not quite one year he enjoyed hearing the rhythm of the words and stomping his feet, but the part about guessing which animal it is went right over his head. (For "guess the...more
April
1. Rating: 5
2. Book Review from Publisher's Weekly: the pictures introduce a cheerful menagerie of animals composed of basic shapes cut from hand-painted papers in an array of colors, textures, and patterns that recall everything from corrugated cardboard to exotic grasses. Celebrating movement and sound, the guessing-game story hints at the identity of each creature, initially seen retreating from the page, leaving footprints behind.
3. I would recommend this book to any K-2 teacher and any rea...more
Sameerah 'sammi'
My 3yr old son loved it. He had fun with the rhythm and guessing who the next creature would be. We read it so much, he memorized the whole thing!
Katya
Fun and simple--doesn't scan as smoothly for me as I would have liked, but the babies at storytime enjoyed doing the different dances.
Diane
Authored by Lindsay Craig and Illustrated by Marc Brown, Dancing Feet is an adorable book for young children.

One page shows some "dancing feet", and the following page shows the animal or critter that the feet belong to along with a cute rhyming verse. (fun way to interact with young children and have them guess whose feet are shown).

There are: colorful ladybugs, ducks, caterpillars, lizards and even a big bear and elephant. The final page shows happy little "kids dancing feet" have fun with all...more
Candice
Sep 04, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book to read to even the youngest child. The first picture shows the feet of a dancing animal, and the text asks who is dancing that tippity or stompity or slappity or thumpity beat. Then the next page shows what animal is doing the dancing. The illustrations are bright collages that will capture a child's attention. The last page is terrific. It shows children dancing. The girl who is dancing "slappity" (duck)is wearing swim flippers while the boy who is dancing "clickety" (lizard) is dre...more
Habrewer
Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig
Release Date – May 8, 2012
*A review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Dancing Feet is full of all kinds of animals that are getting up and dancing from ants to elephants and everything in between. The verses are entertaining and sure to captivate your little one. The illustrations are also bright and colorful. The rhythmic beat will have you wanting to dance along with them.

It was a lot of fun to read and I caught myself ta...more
Lakeside Branch
A movement filled book, perfect for those kids who just can't sit still.

jg
Carol
I like the book. It's a rhythmically enthusiastic presentation of animals and insects. For teachers and parents the illustrations invite young readers to copy. Educators could cut out the shapes for young readers to assemble copying those in the book or making up their own. Using the animals images might be an excellent way to divide a large group into smaller groups...giving each smaller group their own animal image. Animal creations could also be used for paper bag puppet fun. "Dancing Feet" i...more
Sandie
Cute book. I think its meant for a younger group then my daughter at 5 but she enjoyed it and guessed the animals.

Its a fun, quick dialog and the pictures are adorable and you get to guess what each animal is. You get a hint of their feet and a little rhyme and the following page after that shows what animal it was.

Very fun, interactive type of book. I don't know if kindergarten is to old for this book or not, but my daughter enjoyed the guessing and upbeat words. So I would say for readers fr...more
Ruth Ann
A dancing animal book! Fun to read, too!
babyhippoface
Jun 22, 2011 babyhippoface rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK teachers, Music teachers
Very young children will love this combination of dance and guessing game as they look at the colorful cut-paper collage illustrations and listen to the descriptions of feet ("big gray feet", "webbed orange feet", "furry brown feet") and guess what animal is dancing on each page. The rhythm of the book is contagious and children will be stomping, giggling, and dancing around the room in no time, making it a must-have for PreK teachers. This is also perfect for Music Teachers trying to communicat...more
Jessica Green
Dancing Feet is a great story to introduce footprints of different animals. This story uses many descriptive words to describe the footprints of the animals; such as "The big grey footprints." This gives the color and the size of the footprints being made by the animal. I would use this story as a dramatization and have each child be a different footprint from the book. They would be able to have their own part and play each animal in the story. I would re-create the footprints and we would use...more
Jen
Apr 22, 2014 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
storytime april 2014
Jessica Crockett
My son loves this book! We got it out of the library, and it's beat up! It's missing a few pages, but he still wants to read it a lot!
Christine Turner
Lindsey Craig's rollicking text features funny sound words (Tippity! Creepity! Stompity! Thumpity!), dancing animals, a singsong beat, and a guessing element just easy enough for preschoolers to anticipate. Marc Brown's artwork is bright, textured, and joyful, a collage of simple shapes for kids to find and name. So grab a partner and tap your feet to this read-aloud picture-book treat.
Cemeread
Dancing Feet is a wonderful opportunity to move with a story. Marc Brown's joyful artwork provides picture clues to accompanying text about who's dancing. Children can guess who the dancing creature is and find the answer on the next page. They can also mimic how the animals dance, ending with how we dance. This story would work well as a flannel board retelling, but you won't want to miss all the textures Marc creates.

toddlers
preschoolers
Kathryn
I seem to be in the minority in not finding this book a "wow!" Perhaps because I did not read this aloud to a little one eager to guess each dancing creature by the sounds it makes. Indeed, I think this book is prime read-aloud material thanks to the funny sounds and bold, bright collage illustrations. However, I just wasn't too captivated by the "slappity-slappity" dancing of the duck or the "stompity-stompity" moves of the elephant.
Cheri
I really enjoyed the rhythm of this book, and I think it would be great to read to little ones. The illustrations remind me of Eric Carle, but the writing is so much better that I was thrilled to be reading it. I still am not the biggest fan of the illustration style, but I do deeply appreciate good collage art when I see it. The different onomatopoeia used to describe the dancing sounds were my favorite part of this book!
Ina
Read: 2/2/8/11 as part of "Shall We Dance?" theme. Everyone loved this book! Kids actively engaged in guessing which animal's feet were dancing. The brightly painted paper collage illustrations are eye catching and engaging. The text, filled with fun "sound words," is fun to read and encouraged my audience to guess which animal is dancing AND to dance like the animal. Read this one with the kids on their feet.
Dana
Guessing books are always a winner with the storytime crowd, and Dancing Feet is no exception. Through the fun collage illustrations, kids get a just a hint of what animal is on the following page by looking at their dancing feet. It's easy enough that most kids will guess successfully (though I must admit, I didn't get the lizard at first) and who doesn't like being right!
Mary
This is a great book for ECE and younger—it brings awareness to the sounds of words with onomatopoeia, rhyming, and rhythm. It also talks about different animals and the sounds and movements they make. Children have the ability to participate as animals while reading this book. It’s both a musical book and a movement oriented one, with paper-based images and lots of color. Great!
Sunnyvale Librarian
Six animals offer inspiration to get moving as their "happy feet" move across the pages of this delightful collaboration between author Lindsey Craig and illustrator Marc Brown. Children will enjoy dancing along with the style of each animal from "tippity feet" ladybugs to a "thumpity feet" bear. This book is sure to be a hit with every child who likes to get their groove on.
Library Quine
The rhythm and the repetition are great for younger children with lots of noises for them to move to and mimic. The pictures are bright and colourful but the stylisation made some of the animals difficult for some little ones to recognise, so the guessing potential set up by the illustrations was lost on very young children.
Read at Baby Rhymetime 23/Jan/12 & 10/Jul/12
  • Jump!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Clip-Clop