Start by marking “Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul” as Want to Read:
Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul

Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul

Macrobiotics--the healthy, nature-friendly way of life based on a diet of whole grains, vegetables, and beans--is now a global phenomenon. In recent years a number of Hollywood stars have taken up the macrobiotic diet because of its many benefits, which include higher energy levels, beautiful skin, a tranquil mind, and a greater sense of connection with the universe. In Ma ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Kodansha (first published April 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mayumi's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mayumi's Kitchen

Melissa
Aug 17, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, want-to-buy
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. For one, the layout is gorgeous, and I'm a total sucker for food photography and, nerdily enough, typefaces, but beyond the visuals, it was an inspiring guide to basic macrobiotics. What I like about Nishimura's approach is that she makes the transition to macrobiotic eating seem easier than I would have thought, and unlike raw food diets, I can see how I would be able to alter recipes that I currently enjoy to fit within the macrobiotic guidelines.

I was
DeliriumsFrogs
Oct 20, 2016 DeliriumsFrogs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I hate when food is connected to Hollywood in anyway, so it says something about this cookbook that I was able to look past the connection with Madonna and the recommendation by G. Paltrow in the back. I picked this up at the library while looking for something that would give me a vegetable boost after feeling run down. I had no idea when I checked it out that it was a macrobiotic book (I also had no idea what macrobiotic was, thinking it was a diet fad from LA in the last decade, or so...)...
I
Akemi Joy
May 05, 2014 Akemi Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: food
not sure why, but I didn't expect this to be primarily a recipe book. While it does provide an interesting overview of what a macrobiotic diet is through the author's biography, I expected to get more information about the diet itself and the author's take on it. I guess I was just looking for a more introductory book. The references at the end of the book look promising. This book did help me see that the macrobiotic diet is probably not a good fit for my family's lifestyle. it would probably b ...more
Syrena
Oct 20, 2013 Syrena rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
I checked this book out at the library and loved it so much I will most likely be buying this one. Macrobiotics is a lifestyle and does require quite an investment of time not only buying the basics and prepping food but eventually becomes easier. The recipes are fairly simple, easy to understand and I loved that she simplifies some of the basics (with photos) so you know exactly where to go at the market to find items. You learn about the benefits of individual foods, then marry them together i ...more
Elizabeth
I normally don't read cookbooks from cover to cover, but I am interested in learning more about macrobiotics. What I like about this book is its aesthetic, which is clean and clear and makes the concept seem simple and doable. I also like the practicality of the book, in particular, the ten-day cleanse/detox plan. I plan to implement this new eating plan next week, although, by looking at my grocery list, this may set me back four hundred bucks at the the Japanese market, despite the pounds of ( ...more
Susan Howson
Feb 11, 2011 Susan Howson rated it really liked it
Mayumi's style of macro cooking is easy to follow, inspiring, and (thank god) interesting. Plus, she doesn't mention either the mumbo or the jumbo that other books spend way too much time with. Instead, she focuses on what to eat to make you feel your best. And I absolutely feel better than I knew I could feel whenever I'm in a macro phase.

Best macro book I've gotten so far, but I'll update when I've read more.
Laura Beth
Feb 29, 2016 Laura Beth rated it liked it
Recently ordered and read three macrobiotic cookbooks from Amazon. Of the three, this is my least favorite, despite Madonna's endorsement. Heavy on lovely photos and lighter on information and recipes that actually make some sense in an everyday kitchen. I'll keep the book because there are some good elements and some practical advice, but I was ultimately disappointed.
Monica Albright
Nov 24, 2010 Monica Albright rated it liked it
It was interesting to read...will I try any recipes???
I don't know. I don't have a pressure cooker...and I'm not sure that I can find all of the ingredients easily...and I know NOT cheaply. And there's a lot of prep involved. Would I like to try it, yes...but I'd have to have a live in chef like Mayumi to cook for me. :)
Jenni
Jun 18, 2013 Jenni rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-drink
I made a macrobiotic meal based on a recipe in another cookbook and found that I felt really full/satisfied after eating. I wanted to try more in a similar genre, but frankly, I'm not the greatest cook and these recipes were hard for me to follow or even get excited about.
marmix
Oct 26, 2010 marmix rated it liked it
I love the recipes, but SHEESH! Too much work! I spent nearly 4 hours prepping Monday night for a meal I won't eat unitl Wednesday.
Olivia
Feb 11, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it
Beautiful cookbook with some great recipes. I think the sample daily menus are way too work intensive, but making one of the meals a day is great.
Paige
Feb 03, 2011 Paige rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Had to return it finally to the library. My first dive into macrobiotics. I hope it sticks with me my whole life!
Casey
Casey rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2012
Kiefer
Kiefer rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2014
Grace Wing-Yuan
Grace Wing-Yuan rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Susanne Walker
Susanne Walker rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Maili
Maili rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
C
C rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Tennille
Tennille rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2011
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
NatalieJane
NatalieJane rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Monika
Monika rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Danielle
Apr 25, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
A very accessible cookbook, and the recipes are easy and turn out very well.
Pamela Lecaros Duran
Pamela Lecaros Duran rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
Kat Vik
Kat Vik rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Patti
Patti rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Madonna's private chef for seven years.
More about Mayumi Nishimura...