Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul

Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Starting with a 10-day meal plan for those wishing to try out the macrobiotic diet, this title explains each meal in terms of its health benefits. With over 100 recipes, an appendix explaining the basic principles of macrobiotics, and a glossary of ingredients, it offers an introduction to an ancient diet.
Published April 12th 2010 by Kodansha International Ltd

Mo Tipton
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. For one, the layout is gorgeous, and I'm a total sucker for food photography and, nerdily enough, typefaces, but beyond the visuals, it was an inspiring guide to basic macrobiotics. What I like about Nishimura's approach is that she makes the transition to macrobiotic eating seem easier than I would have thought, and unlike raw food diets, I can see how I would be able to alter recipes that I currently enjoy to fit within the macrobiotic guidelines.

I was...more
Akemi Joy
not sure why, but I didn't expect this to be primarily a recipe book. While it does provide an interesting overview of what a macrobiotic diet is through the author's biography, I expected to get more information about the diet itself and the author's take on it. I guess I was just looking for a more introductory book. The references at the end of the book look promising. This book did help me see that the macrobiotic diet is probably not a good fit for my family's lifestyle. it would probably b...more
Syrena
I checked this book out at the library and loved it so much I will most likely be buying this one. Macrobiotics is a lifestyle and does require quite an investment of time not only buying the basics and prepping food but eventually becomes easier. The recipes are fairly simple, easy to understand and I loved that she simplifies some of the basics (with photos) so you know exactly where to go at the market to find items. You learn about the benefits of individual foods, then marry them together i...more
Elizabeth
I normally don't read cookbooks from cover to cover, but I am interested in learning more about macrobiotics. What I like about this book is its aesthetic, which is clean and clear and makes the concept seem simple and doable. I also like the practicality of the book, in particular, the ten-day cleanse/detox plan. I plan to implement this new eating plan next week, although, by looking at my grocery list, this may set me back four hundred bucks at the the Japanese market, despite the pounds of (...more
Susan Howson
Mayumi's style of macro cooking is easy to follow, inspiring, and (thank god) interesting. Plus, she doesn't mention either the mumbo or the jumbo that other books spend way too much time with. Instead, she focuses on what to eat to make you feel your best. And I absolutely feel better than I knew I could feel whenever I'm in a macro phase.

Best macro book I've gotten so far, but I'll update when I've read more.
Monica Albright
It was interesting to read...will I try any recipes???
I don't know. I don't have a pressure cooker...and I'm not sure that I can find all of the ingredients easily...and I know NOT cheaply. And there's a lot of prep involved. Would I like to try it, yes...but I'd have to have a live in chef like Mayumi to cook for me. :)
Jenni
I made a macrobiotic meal based on a recipe in another cookbook and found that I felt really full/satisfied after eating. I wanted to try more in a similar genre, but frankly, I'm not the greatest cook and these recipes were hard for me to follow or even get excited about.
Olivia
Beautiful cookbook with some great recipes. I think the sample daily menus are way too work intensive, but making one of the meals a day is great.
marmix
I love the recipes, but SHEESH! Too much work! I spent nearly 4 hours prepping Monday night for a meal I won't eat unitl Wednesday.
Paige
Had to return it finally to the library. My first dive into macrobiotics. I hope it sticks with me my whole life!
Danielle
A very accessible cookbook, and the recipes are easy and turn out very well.
Monika
So far the Brownies recipe is the best I ever tasted.
NatalieJane
NatalieJane is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Yv
Yv marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Pablo Di francesco
Pablo Di francesco marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
Dec 27, 2013
La Ferme
La Ferme marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Thục Dạ xoa
Thục Dạ xoa marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Madonna Louise Ciccone is an American pop singer-songwriter. Through her music career, she has also gained some notability as a dancer, record producer, film producer, actress, author and a fashion icon. She is a multiple Grammy- and Golden Globe-award winner, known for her ambitious music videos, stage performances and use of sexual and religious themes in her work.

More about Madonna...
The English Roses Mr. Peabody's Apples Sex Friends for Life! Too Good to Be True