Old Mother West Wind

Old Mother West Wind

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Beloved children's classic offers warm, whimsical stories about Billy Mink's swimming party, Little Joe Otter's slippery slide, Reddy Fox's fishing expedition, why Grandfather Frog has no tail, other exciting tales. Gentle lessons about nature and wildlife combined with the fun of a good story. 6 full-page black-and-white illustrations.
Published December 29th 1995 by Dover Publications (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Old Mother West Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Mother West Wind

Susan
This is the kind of book I would check out from the library and which would normally be rejected at bedtime for a story with more pictures or something less "babyish" or of the character of--not my favorite--Diary of a Wimpy Kid. But both my 10-year-old son and eight-year-old daughter listened with great interest to every story in this collection. Though they were written early in the 20th century, the stories still have some kind of magical appeal that taps into the very thing I am clinging to...more
Cheryl in CC NV
This really is dated, and can only appeal to those readers feeling nostalgic, as best I can imagine. Too simple, too twee, too moralistic. Ok, the carnivores do sometimes eat the other characters, so it's not only about the sweeter side of nature. But the writing style is just not like anything written more recently. I enjoyed some of Burgess's works when I was a kid, over 4 decades ago, but am not enjoying the ones I can now find to continue to hunt more down. Iow, I'm over them.

Edit: after rea...more
Deanna
I'm not a fan of talking animal books-just a personal preference-but my son loves these books and they contain good moral stories. Well written. And our Burgess books are old and so just reading out of them makes me happy. I love old books!
Betsy
An old favorite of mine when I was a kid, these stories still draw kids in. All three of my kids listened to these stories intently. Simple tales, highly moral, old-fashioned, anthropomorphic animals.... yet for some reason, they still appeal. A nice read aloud choice for younger kids just learning to sit for chapter books--each chapter is a self-contained story. They're also a nice choice for a new reader just learning to read a chapter book.
Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned...more
Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of...more
Old Mother West Wind isn’t really one story – it’s gobs of little ones stuck together into one book.

The Story.

Every day Old Mother West Wind and her daughters, the Merry Little Breezes sweep through the forest, frolicking with the animals, watching the games that they play, and listening to the stories that they tell. They watch as Peter Rabbit pulls pranks on his neighbours, and attend Jerry Muskrat’s festive swimming party. They even help to judge the grand Green Forest race by rushing alongsi...more
Elizabeth
My kids really like these books. I think they're kind of weird, and the style drives me up the wall. The style is..whimsical? Every animal has a little cutesy nickname, and their plots are sort of rambling. But like I said, my kids like them. The stories are completely innocent and generally positive, and they go on and on and on, so the kids don't seem to run out of them. But if *I* were looking for anthropomorphized animal stories that are funny and cute, I would choose Beatrix Potter over the...more
Gale
GENTLE LESSONS IN NATURAL HISTORY

Published in 1910 these 16 short animal tales were written for the author's son. A dedicated conservationist from Cape Cod Burgess introduces young children to a rogues' gallery of critters--who learn lessons the hard way. Mother West Wind brings her own children, the merry little breezes, down to play each morning; they watch the various critters speak and intereact, providing human children with simple, sometimes humorous advice on moral behavior--without bein...more
Marilyn
My grandmother read these stories to her children. My aunt loved the stories and looked for the book to read those stories to her children, but believed it had gone out of print since she was never able to find it. I did special order the book from Barnes and Noble to give it to my cousin's children. The stories are delightful.
Hope
I enjoyed this one far better than Old Mother West Wind's Children. This one seemed more lighthearted and the spirit of the stories was friendlier. There was a good moral or two. Charming and playful. A couple of the stories were absolutely delightful and warmed the heart.
Darleen
A simply well written 1910 children's classic. "As Old Mother West Wind climbs over the Purple the Hills with her sack of Many Little Breezes that will play in the Grassy Meadow all day..." I enjoyed the visually stimulating descriptions of nature with personality and the simplicity of the animal characters that have adventures all day; usually teaching some kind of moral, or value in each chapter. Wished I would have known about this book to read to my children when they were young. It was a de...more
Mary Ann
My Father read this book to my sister and me-and others by Burgess- many nights before bed from about 1944 to 1948.
the stories had been read to him as a child and he loved to share with us in turn. Mother West Wind is a wise and cheerful character who taught her young charges- such as the merry little breezes - well. A simple and wonderful way to experience the natural world. (If I were to read them now, would I feel the same?)
Eric
I had to go back to a book written a hundred years ago to find something my 4-year-old liked that didn't involve burps, farts, trolls, or dragons. These short stories of forest animals playing and growing are simple but not shallow. Sometimes there's a lesson about nature or a cautionary tale, but as another reviewer mentioned, there's nothing too preachy. A perfect book of bedtime stories.
Dave
My father read this book to me, and then it became one of the first that I read for myself. I have no idea what the original cover looked like because there was no paper jacket, and I doubt the 1947 or similar cover is available any longer. This book may have been my first view of the natural world because we lived in a large city.
Kay
My 5 year old actually LOVES the stories in this book. Each story is only a few pages long and has great animal/nature characters to relate to. Each story has a subtle 'moral' that's not very preachy. We're looking forward to investigating more books by Burgess after finishing all the lovely stories in this book.
Linde
This is a book I have read numerous times to kids in 1st grade, and they love it!! Although I find the stories to be repetitive at times, and it is written in "Old English" which is somewhat harder to understand, kids are thrilled each time they hear it, which makes me like it a bit more.
Tim Comstock
very good book. first book of its series. it introduces a lot of the charecters that will be there later in the series.
Lauren
I loved these. It was the first long chapter-type book I read to my 4-year-old, and as I got started I worried they would require too much stopping and explaining, and it did require plenty, but it turned out to be a wonderful time. The 4-year-old loved them too.
Paul Ryner
One of the first book series I read. When I was about 3 my grandmother read one of them to me. By the time I was in school I had read at least 10 of Thornton Burgess' animal story books. (First appearance of the character "Peter Rabbit", aka Peter Cottontail.)
Jennifer L
We loved this book! Such interesting characters with great morals to each chapter. Even if my 3yo son didn't start out listening to the stories when I read them, he'd always stop what he was doing and end up beside me as I read and he became drawn in.
Karen
My children loved this entertaining collection of stories about the antics of cutely-named animals in their forest home. I used to make copies of some of the black and white drawings for them to color while I read aloud. Lots of fond memories.
Christina
We really enjoyed reading this series of tales. Written in 1910, these stories about meadow and woodland animals have the feel of a gentler time (with characters like Reddy Fox, Johnny Chuck and Grandfather Frog). A fun read for both of the kids.
Jan 15, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nieces, all children
Shelves: ok-for-nieces
I remember loving this series when I was younger :) Kind of Wind in the Willows-esque. I read it so long ago that it's hard to remember... I think it's more of an age for A., but R. might still enjoy it since it involves animals.
Colleen
The copy I have of this used to belong to my grandmother and the stories are so cute and timeless. They are little fables about why animals look and behave as they do, and carry little morals. Josh really liked reading these stories.
Kathryn
I'd forgotten all about Mother West Winds children, the Merry Little Breezes. And all of the fun characters of the forest Peter Rabbit, Jimmy Skunk, Sammy Jay, Grandfather Frog, to name just a few. This was a delight to read.
J
The entire Mother West Wind series is excellent. It a series from my childhood that tells the stories of the forest creatures with dignity and respect. Where else can a person meet and chat with Grandfather Frog!
Joani
I am a sucker for anthropomorphized animal characters and Old Mother West Wind is chock-full of them. This book is full of simple little adventures and tiny lessons. A great read-aloud for the little ones.
Adriel
Lovely animal stories, these are sometimes just right for a soothing bedtime. My 5 year old is not excited to read more, but enjoys them when we do sit down for a quiet story or two.
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail The Burgess Bird Book for Children The Adventures of Reddy Fox The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse