Start by marking “The Adventures of Johnny Chuck” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Johnny Chuck

The Adventures of Johnny Chuck (The Bedtime Story Books)

Spring has arrived at the Green Meadow and Johnny Chuck is strangely discontent. On a whim, he offers Jimmy Skunk his house and then wanders off. Along the way, he gets into a fight with a strange woodchuck and, after a bruising battle, chases the intruder off. At that point, Johnny is feeling rather unconquerable — that is, until Polly Chuck uses her feminine charms to ca ...more
Published January 6th 1995 by Dover Publications (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Johnny Chuck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Johnny Chuck

Hailey White
Feb 10, 2016 Hailey White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
Incredible! It truly does not get any better when it comes to children's literature.
Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 Jonathan Marshall rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Emma Filbrun
Sep 20, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it really liked it
Johnny Chuck is feeling very discontented this spring. When Jimmy Skunk tells him what a nice house he has, he snaps back that Jimmy Skunk can have it—and stomps off in a huff to find another place to live! Not until he meets Polly Chuck does he realize what his real problem was, and now it is solved. He has a new problem, though: can he keep Reddy Fox and Redtail the Hawk from discovering his new home and babies?

Read my full review here.

Melissa
Jun 27, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, juvenile
Ah, young love in the springtime. I could almost visualize the "Nature" program that would follow this same plot as it went along: Johnny Chuck wakes up in springtime refreshed from his hibernation and goes off in search of a mate with whom to start a cute little family of baby chucks. I especially loved how Sammy Jay kept watch over the little family and alerted them to danger!
Carolyn Lind
Dec 31, 2010 Carolyn Lind rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Johnny Chuck,a lovable little fellow, is a favorite among the creatures of pond, field and forest of the Thornton W. Burgess books I have enjoyed since childhood. Rereading more recently, however, I have discovered that common expressions and prejudices that existed in the era when these books were written also found their way into these stories, especially in the treatment of the character, Billy Possum. My copy of the book from Dover Publishers does include illustrations.
R.A. Danger
This is oe of the better books of this series. Jonny Chuck goes from being a journey chuck to trying to win the heart of a timid lady chuck even then Johnny Chuck has to be careful of enemies. In the end Johnny Chuck doesn't fill dissatisfied with his house and were he lived anymore. I'll just let you found out what happen in the book.
Beret
Dec 08, 2013 Beret rated it it was amazing
I read these books to my grandchildren and they love the simple but exciting stories and animal characters. I have read at least 4 or 5 of them
Elaine B.
Jul 31, 2012 Elaine B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved these as a child. Wish I could find and buy them today!
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Marie Trapp
Marie Trapp marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Susan Knox
Susan Knox rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Brittnie
Brittnie rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Jonathan Young
Jonathan Young rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Cathy Lirette Targett
Cathy Lirette Targett rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Carol
Carol added it
Jul 28, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
rachel
rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Darrell Spradlyn
Darrell Spradlyn marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 30, 2016
Katie Schaffer
Katie Schaffer rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Megan Triplett
Megan Triplett marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • Coll and His White Pig
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Mason McQueen and the Gargoyle's Curse (book 1)
  • The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • Freddy and the Men from Mars
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White