The Poems of Robert Browning

The Poems of Robert Browning

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  3,051 ratings  ·  14 reviews
POETRY: Introduce children to the lyrical poems of Robert Browning, accompanied here by spectacular color illustrations commissioned for this volume. One of the greatest poets of all time, Browning dramatizes the thoughts and feelings of his characters, revealing powerful desires and emotions, inner struggles, and moral conflicts.

This edition si only available for distribu

Published 1932 by Black's Readers Service Company (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Poems of Robert Browning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poems of Robert Browning

Jake
I read him in high school and in college, and while I read only a smattering of his work, two of his poems alone deserve a four star rating. "Porphyria's Lover" and "My Last Duchess" are both chilling examples of men gone mad.

PL, a disturbing study in psychotic love and necrophilia, has a rhyme and meter that makes the topic all the more unnerving in its simplistic delivery. Browning is a genius in terms of how he unmasks his speaker's madness.

MLD, a stunning look at arrogance and power shifts,...more
Casey
Robert Browning is certainly a man of intellect and genius. However, reading his poetry is difficult. Not simply from the obscurity of the subject manner, but his writing is dense and at times inarticulate.

The dramatic monologues are the best. The characterizations are really wonderful, and he creates diverse, complicated plots. Browning is a lover of Italy, the Renaissance, and the Greeks. It's hard to believe he was an Englishman, as his subject manner really takes the reader to another place....more
Tony
Browning, Robert. DRAMATIC MONOLOGUES. (This ed. 1991). ****. There are a lot of old friends in this collection of Browning’s works. These include “My Last Duchess,” “Love Among the Ruins,” “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came,” and “Rabbi Ben Ezra.” Add to these the rest of the monologues and an introduction by A. S. Byatt, and you have a comfortable evening of reading. Find a quiet place, since these poems are best read aloud. You don’t want too many people giving you funny looks. All of thes...more
Monica
Elizabeth Barrett was an outstanding poet in her day. She was considered a superior poet to her husband until after her death when his fame grew. Now she is known for Sonnets from the Portuguese, love poems to her husband. As a young man he was influenced by the romantic poets Byron, Shelly and Keats and collected his first work at age 12. By the time he returned to England after his wife's death his popularity had grown considerably. He was amused by the formation of The Browning Society but ev...more
Kajah
I love Browning. After reading Byatt's Possession I took up his poetry and have been delighted by them ever since. He seems to channel other time periods and people in enchanting ways and skimming around his complete works offers up so many pleasantly variegated sensations. The one I read the most is probably "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came", which for the present seems ungraspable, urgent, and hauntingly desperate in it's tone. I have the feeling Browning is going to be a worthy escape in...more
Amanda
May 13, 2007 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The adventurous poetics
Shelves: college
I took a seminar at Davidson on Robert Browning- before this class I really had only read "My Last Duchess" and didn't know much about him. I now consider him one of my favorite poets (and I really only have two) and it's because of his use of the dramatic monologue which makes his poetry read like narrative prose, even when it has a regular metre and rhyme scheme. His poems take on specific characters and tell stories and frequently his characters are cynical or unsavory. Genius and delightful...more
Mii
This book is a great read!
Ben
As a poet, I admire Browning's structure more than the content of his work. His work does not move me in the way that others do, like Blake, Ferlinghetti, Poe, or Ginsberg. His works are certainly reflective of the Victorian Era in which he was writing. My favorite of all the works contained in this collection was "The Statue and the Bust."
Maureen
I said in an earlier review that I like Browning's wife sonnets better. But that was a book leading off with The Last Duchess. Now that I think about it, a book of Browning poetry is not a bad companion on a lazy afternoon.
Thomas Martinson
I love his dramatic lyrics and monologues but his long form dramas tend to overyly florid and clunky. Mainly because he was more concerned with lyrical style than coherence of plot.
Lynda
I first read Browning as a teenager because I had read Barretts of Wimpole Street. I really enjoyed his works and as the years went on, I enjoyed them more profoundly.
Orion Mcshane
All I believed is true ! Dare I trust the same of you?.....
Jaclyn Darke
favorite poet hands down, across the board, game over man
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Leona Mello
Leona Mello marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Rahat Afza
Rahat Afza marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Aggiemom
Aggiemom marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
  • Poetry and Prose
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • The Major Works
  • Goblin Market and Other Poems
  • Poems and Prose
  • Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays
  • Dover Beach and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Poetry, Drama and Prose (A Norton Critical Edition)
  • John Donne's Poetry (Critical Edition)
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese
  • Byron's Poetry
  • Complete Poems of D. H. Lawrence (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Riverside Milton
Robert Browning was a British poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets.

Browning began writing poetry at age 13. These poems were eventually collected, but were later destroyed by Browning himself. In 1833, Browning's "Pauline" was published and received a cool reception. Harold Bloom believes that John Stuart...more
More about Robert Browning...
My Last Duchess and Other Poems The Pied Piper of Hamelin Selected Poems The Ring and the Book (Broadview literary texts) Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Came (Phoenix 60p Paperbacks)

“In this world, who can do a thing, will not;
And who would do it, cannot, I perceive:
Yet the will's somewhat — somewhat, too, the power —
And thus we half-men struggle.”
22 likes