Start by marking “The Poems of Robert Browning” as Want to Read:
The Poems of Robert Browning

The Poems of Robert Browning

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The vitality and accessibility of Browning's poetry have given it lasting appeal. Many of his finest poems are the intensely dramatic monologues, such as "Andrea del Sarto" or "My Last Duchess," in which the poet's imaginative power is at its height.

This splendid collection features selections from Browning's entire career, through the poet's literary successes and critica
Published 1932 by Black's Readers Service Company (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Poems of Robert Browning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poems of Robert Browning

Jasmiina F
I read so little poetry that I'm not sure what's good and not. I bought this from Ireland because I've always wanted to own "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" and it was wonderful to get to read it in this collection of Robert Browning's poems. He has an interesting style, because all the poems are kind of stories, some quite long. I didn't love all the poems but I found some really great ones.
Questo perfetto sconosciuto entrò nella mia vita come un lampo durante le tediose lezioni di inglese al liceo. In My Last Duchess il mistero è dentro poche parole, come in quel as di There she stands/AS if alive, dopo gli ordini del Duca, I gave commands, che non accetta di chinare il capo, mai. Il quadro, che in un gioco di specchi è e non è la Duchessa, sta per la defunta come solo le immagini possono. Ma quadro e donna per il Duca sono identici, si riferisce alla futura moglie con un is my ob ...more
One of my favourite poets. Others dislike it, but 'Porphyria's lover' is a great poem. Not because of what happens in the poem, because of all the feminist theory that can be drawn from it, and above all the struggle of love that it represents.
Elizabeth Barrett was an outstanding poet in her day. She was considered a superior poet to her husband until after her death when his fame grew. Now she is known for Sonnets from the Portuguese, love poems to her husband. As a young man he was influenced by the romantic poets Byron, Shelly and Keats and collected his first work at age 12. By the time he returned to England after his wife's death his popularity had grown considerably. He was amused by the formation of The Browning Society but ev ...more
Molly Conway
Porphyria’s Lover, My Last Dutchess, Home Thoughts From Abroad, Home Thoughts From the Sea, Fra Lippo Lippi, The Bishop Orders His Tomb
Davis Stamford
I have been a longtime fan of Robert Browning, a man whose most important works were not realized until after his death, like Porphyria's Lover, an incredible poem.
Different edition. But in 150 years this book will be as read, and as readable, as it is today.
Clare Bear
Feb 17, 2008 Clare Bear marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love the poem Porphyria's Lover.
partially read
Alex Mesman
Alex Mesman marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Aldo marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Todd A. Howard
Todd A. Howard marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Sebastian Torero
Sebastian Torero marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Retulicus marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
M. L. Rio
M. L. Rio marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Julia added it
Sep 20, 2015
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Thomas Maher
Thomas Maher marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Akira marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Holly Coveney
Holly Coveney marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Complete Poetical Works
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Complete Works of Alfred Tennyson
  • The Major Works
  • John Keats: Poems (Everyman Poetry)
  • The Odes
  • Collected Narrative and Lyrical Poetry
  • The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash
  • The Complete Poems
  • Selected Poems and Fragments
  • The Complete Poems (Poetry Library)
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Collected Poems
Robert Browning was a British poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets.

Browning began writing poetry at age 13. These poems were eventually collected, but were later destroyed by Browning himself. In 1833, Browning's "Pauline" was published and received a cool reception. Harold Bloom believes that John Stuart
More about Robert Browning...