Start by marking “The Poems of Robert Browning” as Want to Read:
The Poems of Robert Browning

The Poems of Robert Browning

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The vitality and accessibility of Browning's poetry have given it lasting appeal. Many of his finest poems are the intensely dramatic monologues, such as "Andrea del Sarto" or "My Last Duchess," in which the poet's imaginative power is at its height.

This splendid collection features selections from Browning's entire career, through the poet's literary successes and critica
Published 1932 by Black's Readers Service Company (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Poems of Robert Browning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poems of Robert Browning

Jasmiina F
Jan 24, 2015 Jasmiina F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I read so little poetry that I'm not sure what's good and not. I bought this from Ireland because I've always wanted to own "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" and it was wonderful to get to read it in this collection of Robert Browning's poems. He has an interesting style, because all the poems are kind of stories, some quite long. I didn't love all the poems but I found some really great ones.
Laginestra
Questo perfetto sconosciuto entrò nella mia vita come un lampo durante le tediose lezioni di inglese al liceo. In My Last Duchess il mistero è dentro poche parole, come in quel as di There she stands/AS if alive, dopo gli ordini del Duca, I gave commands, che non accetta di chinare il capo, mai. Il quadro, che in un gioco di specchi è e non è la Duchessa, sta per la defunta come solo le immagini possono. Ma quadro e donna per il Duca sono identici, si riferisce alla futura moglie con un is my ob ...more
Rachel
May 06, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourite poets. Others dislike it, but 'Porphyria's lover' is a great poem. Not because of what happens in the poem, because of all the feminist theory that can be drawn from it, and above all the struggle of love that it represents.
Monica
Elizabeth Barrett was an outstanding poet in her day. She was considered a superior poet to her husband until after her death when his fame grew. Now she is known for Sonnets from the Portuguese, love poems to her husband. As a young man he was influenced by the romantic poets Byron, Shelly and Keats and collected his first work at age 12. By the time he returned to England after his wife's death his popularity had grown considerably. He was amused by the formation of The Browning Society but ev ...more
Molly Conway
Porphyria’s Lover, My Last Dutchess, Home Thoughts From Abroad, Home Thoughts From the Sea, Fra Lippo Lippi, The Bishop Orders His Tomb
Davis Stamford
Oct 25, 2010 Davis Stamford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a longtime fan of Robert Browning, a man whose most important works were not realized until after his death, like Porphyria's Lover, an incredible poem.
Len
Jan 09, 2014 Len rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different edition. But in 150 years this book will be as read, and as readable, as it is today.
Clare Bear
Feb 17, 2008 Clare Bear marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love the poem Porphyria's Lover.
Aaron
Jul 07, 2011 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
partially read
Supurina Maria Jackson
Supurina Maria Jackson rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Chris Brimmer
Chris Brimmer rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
MaryDee McCarey
MaryDee McCarey marked it as to-read
Gary
Gary added it
Lourdes Cambridge
Lourdes Cambridge rated it it was amazing
Alanna
Alanna rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Gay
Gay rated it really liked it
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Michael Quigg
Michael Quigg marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Sharri Vasquez
Sharri Vasquez marked it as to-read
Joni-Marie
Joni-Marie rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Ilya
Ilya marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Aaron Simpson
Aaron Simpson rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sami Abouzid
Sami Abouzid marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
  • Collected Poems of Robert Burns
  • The Complete Poetical Works
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Major Works
  • John Keats: Poems (Everyman Poetry)
  • Poetical Works: Tennyson
  • The Portable Coleridge
  • The Complete Poems (Poetry Library)
  • Poems and Ballads and Atalanta in Calydon
  • The Odes
  • The Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
Robert Browning was a British poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets.

Browning began writing poetry at age 13. These poems were eventually collected, but were later destroyed by Browning himself. In 1833, Browning's "Pauline" was published and received a cool reception. Harold Bloom believes that John Stuart
More about Robert Browning...

“If you get simple beauty and naught else, you get about the best thing god invents” 22 likes