Robert Browning: Selected Poems

Robert Browning: Selected Poems

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  778 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Edited by William C. DeVane, this volume contains a representative selection of dramatic monologues, dramatic romances and lyrics, and short poems. The thirty-eight selected poems are very well annotated and are well supplemented by an introduction, a list of principal dates in Browning's life, and a bibliography.
Published June 1st 1994 by Gramercy (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Robert Browning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Browning

Linden

It was an introduction to Robert Browning through Stopford A. Brooke's book ‘The Poetry of Robert Browning’, written in 1903 (available as a free kindle!) that inspired me to read and enjoy very much this Penguin Collection. Here is how Stopford describes what makes Browning a great poet:

“Browning’s noblest legacy to that wavering, faithless, pessimistic, analysis tortured world through which we have fought our way, and out of which we are emerging, is the sense of things which cannot be shaken,...more
J. Alfred
You know that obnoxious comedian/impressionist who somehow landed a gig on football related television, Frank Calliendo? Well, reading Browning is like watching an infinitely more talented version of that guy.
He pretty much takes on new personas as he writes; it is astonishing. You can tell why Pound and Eliot loved the guy.
Anyway, he is also great at sort of redelivering the gospel message, so you can see again how intensely surprising it is: the best poems in the collection (and this never h...more
Scroutch
Did I mention that I LOVE Robert Browning? That's probably the geekiest thing I've ever admitted to, but there it is. He's the man.

His poetry is a fucking pleasure to read. It's intelligent, funny, and skillful. Most of his poems, as you may already know, are narrative poems, so, stylistically, it's kind of like reading the 19th century equivalent to a Greek epic. Or a better way of thinking of it would be like ultra-lyrical and metrical flash fiction.
Judi
A nice selection, now I would like to read his complete works but some of the long poems might be hard. I got hung up on Ivan Ivanovich since I like to read a whole poem in one sitting and this is a long one. He wrote some beautiful poems that are a pleasure to read and I enjoyed the notes especially where it concerned his love for his wife, Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Rosalind Mitchell
For me, Browning is just the best. He can be as light as a souffle (but with a sharp kick), and achingly profound. He can build characters and he can be terrifying - not many psychological thrillers can be so chilling so succinctly as Porphyria's Lover, and he can capture the sweetness of first love. He's also shamefully neglected.
Rosalind
Faith Bradham
This is not the book I read, but I could not find what I read ... and this is as close as I could find.
I must admit that I didn't like it very well ... I found Browning's rythym off enough to distract me but not off enough to sound good. :S I'll give him credit for his lyrical words, but that's about it.
Scarlettfish
Robert Browning is probably my favourite poet. His poems are dramatic, intense, and so readable and intriguing, with absolutely wonderful, memorable characters and plots. Highlights are definitely My Last Duchess and Porphyria's Lover. Nobody has ever done the dramatic monologue like Browning.
Rebecca
Fairly long poems, it gets a low score from me because his poem the Laboratory is not included (hey, it's good! about a woman poisoning her former lover and his new mistress). However there are some good ones such as 'My Last Duchess'. I'm very picky with poetry.
Tom Fogarty
Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister is the greatest poem I have ever read. The narrators un-quenching thirst for revenge is unparallel and the forays from soliloquy to actual human encounter is quite amazing.
Jessica
Browning, why are you such a genius? "Andrea del Sarto", "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came", and "Meeting at Night" are among my favorites in the anthology.
Tom
Jan 28, 2008 Tom marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Not exactly the same as my copy, which is an out-of-print 1949 edition published by Appleton-Crofts that I bought for like 20 cents, but the closest I could find.
Mikael
must be nice not to hv to ask yrself can there be but one sordello ? since u were the one who wrote the bloody thing !
Liz
Browning is a great study of character and his poems are very good at illustrating characters.
Valerie
My favorite at the unreliable narrator, and a great poet also.
Rob
Permanent collection.
Ronald
one of my favorite book
Aleigh21
Aleigh21 marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Aishwarya Karan
Aishwarya Karan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Juanelsentimental
Juanelsentimental marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • The Complete Poems and Plays
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • Poems and Prose
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
Robert Browning was a British poet and playwright whose mastery of dramatic verse, especially dramatic monologues, made him one of the foremost Victorian poets.

Browning began writing poetry at age 13. These poems were eventually collected, but were later destroyed by Browning himself. In 1833, Browning's "Pauline" was published and received a cool reception. Harold Bloom believes that John Stuart...more
More about Robert Browning...
My Last Duchess and Other Poems Robert Browning's Poetry The Pied Piper of Hamelin The Ring and the Book (Broadview literary texts) Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Came (Phoenix 60p Paperbacks)

“we’re made so that we love First when we see them painted, things we have passed Perhaps a hundred times nor cared to see; And so they are better, painted – better to us, Which is the same thing. Art was given for that; God uses us to help each other so, Lending our minds out.” 0 likes