Start by marking “Blacky the Crow” as Want to Read:
Blacky the Crow

Blacky the Crow

Children will love this wonderful tale of Blacky the Crow, who has very sharp eyes, and who is often getting into trouble because he sees things he shouldn't. One day Blacky notices two fresh eggs in a nest belonging to Hooty the Owl and Mrs. Hooty. The eggs are a prize too delicious to pass up and Blacky devises a plan to snatch them. But does he succeed? Young readers wi ...more
Paperback, Dover Children's Thrift Classics, 96 pages
Published December 23rd 1998 by Dover Publications (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Blacky the Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacky the Crow

Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 Jonathan Marshall rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Erik Dryden
Sep 28, 2016 Erik Dryden rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive and nauseatingly moralistic. The author apparently believes that kids won't catch the moral of his story unless he explicitly tells them, over and over, in every chapter, what he's getting at. I can't imagine that I would have enjoyed this a child.
Laura Verret
Sep 15, 2014 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Blacky the Crow is not thoroughly black-hearted, despite his name. No, he’s actually quite a good-hearted fellow – when he hears that danger is coming to the forest he rushes ahead and warns his fellow inhabitants. But there is one point on which Blacky the Crow is utterly unreasonable, and that is his love for freshly laid eggs.

Will Blacky’s desire to suck an egg cloud his normally good-natured temperament? Or will he continue in his position as watchman of the forest?

Discussion.

I love the Gre
Evan
Mar 20, 2009 Evan rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddie-fare
For years I've been trying to figure out the name of the crow-story book I read back in the second grade so long ago. Not remembering the title made hunting for it in bookshops pretty much impossible. I only remember the cover being red and of the thick plain "library binding" type, so I've been hunting for years for thick red hardcovers when that's probably not what I should have been looking for. On a whim this evening I typed "classic children's books crow" into Google and this title was the ...more
Emma Filbrun
Aug 13, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it really liked it
Blacky the Crow loves eggs. He is very surprised one morning, as he flies over the Green Forest, to see an egg in Redtail the Hawk’s abandoned nest. Who could be laying eggs in the winter? Does Blacky dare to try to get the egg? He investigates for several days, and then develops a plan to steal that egg, and maybe even the other one that appears. Does he succeed? Even though this story is fairly juvenile for my boys, they begged for more and more chapters.

Read my full review here.

Cathy
Jun 19, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Free Kindle download. Very cute children's story about Blacky the Crow's adventures in the forest and his obsession with eating eggs. Blacky is crafty and self-serving but he does have a nice side - sometimes. Each chapter has a moral ala Aesop's Fables. An Example: There is no compromise with right and wrong. A half-right is not as good as a whole-right and a half-wrong is still very wrong.
Jean
Sep 10, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Probably more as a child than an adult, but nonetheless, it brought back great memories. I am sure I read every book in the series of the woodland creatures and learned many of the lessons they taught. I could not wait for the bookmobile to home and bring me new adventures. These would most likely be good stories for a parent and child to share at bedtime.
Heather Oakman
Feb 08, 2010 Heather Oakman rated it it was ok
Very easy children's book. Simple story lines about a clever crow that gets in and out of mischief. Each chapter is headed by a "moral", emphasizing intelligence, loyalty, ingenuity, taking risks etc.
Vandy
May 02, 2008 Vandy rated it liked it
I have my grandma's copy of this well loved and read book. I can remember reading it at my great grandma's house when I was little and I have read it to my children.

Very fun and imaginative. Blacky the Crow always finds mischief.
Jim
Jun 17, 2009 Jim rated it did not like it
could read it, the writing was so poor. was able to skim only. despite that it may work as a read aloud for first graders?
Amanda
Mar 03, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
My kids loved hearing about Blacky's Adventures!
Ashish Seth
Oct 03, 2014 Ashish Seth rated it liked it
The book was drab and repetitive. I think creatures in the book written by Burgess have nothing to eat else than eggs. Also they are to wise to fall into any pitfalls. Anyhow I liked this book.
Odessa
Oct 29, 2012 Odessa rated it liked it
I know that it is more for younger kids, but it has certain aspects that make it okay for ANY age group. It was really fun and had mystery, but it was clean and funny.
Judy Piasecki
Jul 07, 2015 Judy Piasecki rated it liked it
I read a lot of these books as a beginner reader & I lived on a farm. I loved animal stories. Reading it as a grandma gave me a different perspective - nicely written for young readers I feel.
Rick
Dec 31, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it
I probably found this cuter than my son did. Blacky starts out as a bit of a scamp, but redeems himself in the end. A great quick light read.
Scott Yarbrough
Scott Yarbrough rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Chrisanne
Chrisanne rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2010
Jimmie Lee Johnson
Jimmie Lee Johnson rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Cristiana Beaman
Cristiana Beaman rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Katie Ann
Katie Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Teresa Hollis
Teresa Hollis rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2016
Elissa
Elissa rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2009
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Cari
Cari rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Saleem Chaudhary
Saleem Chaudhary rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2017
Joey
Joey rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2010
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Paddington Bear
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • Dialogues de bêtes
  • Pagoo
  • A Dog on Barkham Street
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Mammal (Eyewitness Books)
  • Crystal & Gem
  • If You Grew Up With Abraham Lincoln
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie
  • Folk-Lore and Legends Scotland
  • Viking Adventure
  • The Centaur
  • Julius (An I Can Read Book)
  • Save Queen of Sheba
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...