Start by marking “Blacky the Crow (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)” as Want to Read:
Blacky the Crow (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)

Blacky the Crow (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Children will love this wonderful tale of a crow who spies two fresh eggs in a nest belonging to Hooty the Owl and Mrs. Hooty. Does Blacky snatch those delicious eggs? Filled with humor and important lessons about nature and wildlife. Reset in large, easy-to-read type. Four originalillustrations by Harrison Cady. ...more
Published December 23rd 1998 by Dover Publications (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Blacky the Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blacky the Crow

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Great Children's Books Written Prior to the 1950s
173rd out of 268 books — 105 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWatership Down by Richard AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Sight by David Clement-Davies
Best Animal Books
122nd out of 291 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Blacky the Crow is not thoroughly black-hearted, despite his name. No, he’s actually quite a good-hearted fellow – when he hears that danger is coming to the forest he rushes ahead and warns his fellow inhabitants. But there is one point on which Blacky the Crow is utterly unreasonable, and that is his love for freshly laid eggs.

Will Blacky’s desire to suck an egg cloud his normally good-natured temperament? Or will he continue in his position as watchman of the forest?

Discussion.

I love the Gre
Evan
For years I've been trying to figure out the name of the crow-story book I read back in the second grade so long ago. Not remembering the title made hunting for it in bookshops pretty much impossible. I only remember the cover being red and of the thick plain "library binding" type, so I've been hunting for years for thick red hardcovers when that's probably not what I should have been looking for. On a whim this evening I typed "classic children's books crow" into Google and this title was the ...more
Ashish Seth
The book was drab and repetitive. I think creatures in the book written by Burgess have nothing to eat else than eggs. Also they are to wise to fall into any pitfalls. Anyhow I liked this book.
Cathy
Free Kindle download. Very cute children's story about Blacky the Crow's adventures in the forest and his obsession with eating eggs. Blacky is crafty and self-serving but he does have a nice side - sometimes. Each chapter has a moral ala Aesop's Fables. An Example: There is no compromise with right and wrong. A half-right is not as good as a whole-right and a half-wrong is still very wrong.
Jean
I loved this book! Probably more as a child than an adult, but nonetheless, it brought back great memories. I am sure I read every book in the series of the woodland creatures and learned many of the lessons they taught. I could not wait for the bookmobile to home and bring me new adventures. These would most likely be good stories for a parent and child to share at bedtime.
Vandy
I have my grandma's copy of this well loved and read book. I can remember reading it at my great grandma's house when I was little and I have read it to my children.

Very fun and imaginative. Blacky the Crow always finds mischief.
Heather Oakman
Very easy children's book. Simple story lines about a clever crow that gets in and out of mischief. Each chapter is headed by a "moral", emphasizing intelligence, loyalty, ingenuity, taking risks etc.
Odessa
I know that it is more for younger kids, but it has certain aspects that make it okay for ANY age group. It was really fun and had mystery, but it was clean and funny.
Rick
I probably found this cuter than my son did. Blacky starts out as a bit of a scamp, but redeems himself in the end. A great quick light read.
Jim
could read it, the writing was so poor. was able to skim only. despite that it may work as a read aloud for first graders?
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Carol Christine Mauck
Carol Christine Mauck marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
P.
P. added it
Feb 10, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Kristi
Kristi added it
Feb 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Budhaditya Mazumdar
Budhaditya Mazumdar is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
  • The Mob
  • Thunder Oak (The Welkin Weasels, #1)
  • The Best-Loved Doll (An Owlet Book)
  • Paddington Bear
  • Pagoo
  • Wages Creek
  • Leif the Lucky
  • The Crystal Prison (The Deptford Mice, #2)
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie
  • The Siege of White Deer Park (Farthing Wood, #5)
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail Old Mother West Wind The Burgess Bird Book for Children The Adventures of Reddy Fox The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad