Start by marking “The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)

The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)

As this delightful story opens, something strange is going on! The waters of the Laughing Brook and Smiling Pool have become a mere trickle, causing alarm among the creatures of the Green Forest.
It seems Jerry Muskrat's cousin, Paddy the Beaver, has come south to make himself a new home. That means he had to stop the waters that flowed in the Laughing Brook and Smiling Poo
Published October 3rd 2000 by Dover Publications (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver

Jonathan Marshall
Jan 31, 2011 Jonathan Marshall rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-friendly
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.

I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned
Laura Verret
Oct 31, 2013 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
There’s a newcomer in the Green Forest! Jerry Muskrat’s cousin, Paddy the Beaver, has moved down from the North and is setting up camp – or rather, a dam – in the middle of Laughing Brook. He says that once he builds his dam and stops up his pool the river will continue to flow normally, but the other animals aren’t so sure. They’re nervous that once he stops the flow it will never start back up again…

Is Laughing Brook gone forever? Or does Paddy the Beaver know what he’s doing?

Discussion.

Thornt
Melissa
Feb 08, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, juvenile
I love when I am pleasantly surprised by something I've never heard of and just stumbled upon! This was a delightful tale of Paddy Beaver and all of his woodland friends. I was expecting something like Beatrix Potter, but Burgess kept his characters real to life: we learn how Paddy builds the dam and his house and stores food for the winter while interacting with the wildlife around him; Ol' Mr. Coyote spends the entire tale hunting Paddy while Sammy Jay squawks loudly whenever he spots Coyote ...more
Jena
I wish I had discovered this book when I was small. I love it now, but it would have enchanted me then! Beavers, muskrats, rabbits, and countless other woodland creatures inhabit this story, and as you learn about the life and work of a beaver, you encounter pearls of wisdom that can be applied to your own life. This book is almost a hundred years old, but it's well worth the read.
Booknerd
Feb 08, 2016 Booknerd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Grandma gave me this beautiful antique of a book and it has been on one of my bookshelves ever since. It reminds me that even books have to treated lightly (especially this one because it is taped) but is still an able read. This is one classic that will be forever mine haha.
Susan
Mar 30, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
I must have read 15 Thornton Burgess books on animals that had adventures. I read them as I walked from school. I looked up only at the street corners. Otherwise, I read as I walked home every day.
Nathaniel
Feb 06, 2015 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
I liked it. It's about Paddy the Beaver and him building his dam and all the people who visit him and how he almost gets caught by Old Man Coyote.
Jinie Shirey
Jinie Shirey rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Mattis Jensen
Mattis Jensen rated it it was amazing
Marty Geren
Marty Geren rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2008
Norah Gaughan
Norah Gaughan rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2007
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2010
REA
REA rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
SunshineGlory
SunshineGlory rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Nicholas Clinch
Nicholas Clinch rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Rich
Rich rated it liked it
May 28, 2013
Lauri Lintott
Lauri Lintott rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
May 24, 2010
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Ladystyx
Ladystyx rated it it was ok
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
May 02, 2008
isanythingopen
isanythingopen rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Nene31
Nene31 rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2008
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Allen Martens
Allen Martens rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • The Story Of The Greeks
  • Parables from Nature
  • Our Island Story
  • Temple Cat
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Peanut Butter Friends In A Chop Suey World (Light Line)
  • Five Little Peppers at School
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...