Start by marking “Point Dume: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Point Dume: A Novel

Point Dume: A Novel

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Katie Arnoldis critically acclaimed debut novel Chemical Pink launched her onto the bestseller lists and so established itself into the publics consciousness that its title was the answer to a Double Jeopardy question.

Two years ago Overlook published her sophomore effort, The Wentworths, a searing portrait of a wealthy Westside, Los Angeles, family. This too was a fixture
Published May 27th 2010 by Overlook Books (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Point Dume, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point Dume

Andrea
THIS NOVELLA IS MORE LIKE INTERCONNECTED SHORT STORIES. IT TAKES PLACE ON THE HILL COUNTRY ON THE PACIFIC COAST OF CALIFORNIA.

ELLIS AND PABLO ARE SURFERS AND HAVE KNOWN EACH OTHER SINCE GRADE SCHOOL. BOTH LOST THEIR PARENTS AT A YOUNG AGE. ELLIS LIVES ON THE BLUFF OVERLOOKING THE SURF BEACH. SHE SOLD OFF SOME OF HER INHERITED PROPERTY AND MADE A KILLING - ENOUGHT TO SUPPORT HERSELF.

PABLO, SELLS DRUGS TO THE RICH WOMEN ON THE BEACH AND HAS MILLIONS STASHED AWAY. HE DOES NOT DEAL WITH SUPPLIERS O
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Jun 28, 2010 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Overlook Press
Point Dume is less about marijuana growing on public lands than about the personal conflicts and problems of people living in a changing California ocean community. That's unfortunate because I thought the pot growing aspect of the book was far more interesting than the lives of the US-based characters. I felt like I'd already met them in books and movies past.

The book read quickly and easily, perhaps in part because everything felt so familiar, but it would have felt much more satisfying if Ar
Valerie
I read this book on my Kindle Fire. I was attracted to it because of the title; Pt. Dume was one of my very favorite ocean spots when I was a young child. It is located south of Malibu and I guess it is a state recreational area now (at least some parts are) but worse than the invasive plant species (marijuana) being grown in the canyons in the area, I think the Hollywood clique has ruined the area with all the pollution, overbuilding, and general devastation of the beauty of this once gorgeous ...more
Judy Mann
This book was a breath of fresh air. 4 stars.
What a relief to read a book where the author tells it like it is -just exactly like it is.
Kate Arnoldi is an excellent writer. And the reason I can say that is because I believed her. Every word.
Malibu is one of those anesthetized settings in California where you get the feeling that EVERYONE is completely coked out of their gourds. And I mean the rich here. These newly wealthy a-holes that just spend their days showing off all their money to the oth
Karen
A short read, light on plot, with an interesting setting that the author does not really take advantage of. Since 9/11 and the crackdown on our borders, the drug cartels have been growing pot on public land in the US - national parks, and in this book, the hills of Malibu.
Anne Meehan-Dunham
The story is about the destruction to the California coastline as drug traffickers plant illegal pot farms on public land. the story is about the rising tension between the home-grown surfers whose parents bought beach shacks in the 50s and 60s and the wealthy class as they buy up and displace an entire culture.

The narrative is told through multiple points-of-view that switches between first and third person close. The chapters are brief, which makes the story move fast. The time frame is a year
Catherine
Each character speaks in the first person, which gives too much weight to a couple of 1-dimensional characters, and not enough weight to the two pivotal characters who eventually meet up accidentally. Felix is the most haunting and interesting character in this, or almost any book I've ever read. He has a history and tradition of a hard working and fairly successful small farmer in Mexico when he is forced to work for a Mexican drug cartel watching a marijuana farm in the hills near Santa Barbar ...more
Saadia
Oct 26, 2010 Saadia added it
The reason I read this book is because it was the book to read for the book club at the Kaufman public library in Brentwood. I am staying in Brentwood, Los Angeles for an extended visit at my adult son's home, so I thought I would give the book club a try. Actually, I met the author, Katie Arnoldi at the book club meeting and our group had a first hand account of how and why she told this story.

The story involves characters in the Malibu area: dysfunctional locals who grew up in a beachside blue
Cheryl
Ellis Gardner is a wild child. She makes her own rules. One thing Ellis loves is catching a wave or two.

Pablo Schwartz is a good friend of Ellis’s. He has known her since he was about twelve years old. This is the same time he was first introduced to the world of illegal marijuana growing. It was from here that Pablo realized that there was a lot of money to be made in growing and selling marijuana.

Frank Joseph Bane III is married. Though this has now stopped him from having an affair with Elli
Daisy
Most Improved.
I have read Arnoldi's other two books and hated them so it was a surprise to find this wasn't godawful. Her writing has gotten better and her story-telling isn't bad at all in this novel.
So much of whether you like a book or not depends on where you are when you read it. This is a fast, easy read about an area I know well. I even knew Katie A. when we were kids; that is, I knew who she was but I don't think she knew who I was. (She was older anyway.) I know which house was her fam
Patrick O'Neil
Surfers, stoners, yuppies, yoga moms, disgruntle locals, and Mexican drug cartels – Southern California's costal small towns will never be the same. Katie Arnoldi uses them all as characters in her novel, Point Dume, to portray not only the ever changing demographics. But the insidious underbelly of the cross border narcotics trade, and the loss of natural habitat to the nouveau riche. The cartels are growing pot in our foothills. The yuppies are buying up the land and building hideous mansions. ...more
M R
Interesting collection of characters with intertwining stories. I wish that had been a bit more character development or explanation with some characters or simply less characters to be able to focus on the myriad stories and issues. Although, I did learn quite a bit about the weed business in California, and in general.
Louis Spirito
Point Dume by Katie Arnoldi - Not For Locals Only. Marry The Endless Summer, Savages and Slackers, shake it up and add a local perspective and a wicked sense of humor and you have Katie Arnoldi's novel Point Dume.The action centers on the Malibu culture clash between the old-time surf culture, the rich yuppie invaders and cartel pot growers using the nearby mountains as an el norte nursery. But Arnoldi's real forte lies in skewering
the players on all sides. If you're wondering what Malibu was li
Danna
I loved this quick and easy read. Katie Arnoldi introduces to us a group of characters in Point Dume - a small, surfing community with a large pothead population. In recent years, the tiny town has been overtaken by a group of elitist soccer moms and CEO-dads. The interaction between the newcomers and the natives is a large part of the story. Arnoldi also addresses the illegal growing of marijuana in the California mountains. The growing is done mostly by illegal Mexican immigrants and has been ...more
MB Mcgurk
Sep 10, 2011 MB Mcgurk rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: commute readers
Recommended to MB by: Librarian
I like this book and I liked Ellis better. She is a well composed character, complicated and tough. A true survivor raising to the occasion of "change". The question of "invasion" though never directly addressed is an undercurrent that repeats in a seductive agreeable manner. The consequences of said "invasion" are much like the characters in the book are compelling, complicated and no simple vision of a 'cure' or answer is offered. It is much like real life, riveting.
Barbara
You have to give credit to a book that makes you think about things differently and this book certainly did. I appreciate the depths and complexity of the main characters and even the detailed descriptions of peripheral ones. For what it's worth I respected this book more than liked it. And it could have used a final bout of proof reading.
Tuck
ok, one star is harsh, especially for a good story. but writing and editing need lots of work. about socal old settled beach society being inundated by rich yuppies, mexican drug cartels, and too many rules. its surfers against everybody else, with some crossing-the-lines rough sex added. the wild fires eventually win all though.
David
Point Dume, by Katie Arnoldi (The Overlook Press 2010)(Fiction) features the following plotlines: surf culture, human trafficking, pot farms on public lands, and Mexican drug cartels. The author delivers as promised. 6/10, finished 9/2/11.
Sara
I blame joan didion. She blurbed arnoldi's first book. Ack. It was like reading a season of that tv show weeds, but no bright colors, and the text had yet to be proofread. But still I read it, but you probably don't need to.
M. Harris
Had high hopes for this one.......big let down.
Lesson: Never anticipate outcome....enjoy the read
Jo
A quick read. Interesting saga of a group of mature surfing friends.
Linda
Jul 30, 2011 Linda added it
I have to stop following book recommendations in magazines!
Catherine
Great sense of place -- Malibu surfers and wannabe's.
Eric
Interesting protagonist, Ellis.
Freddy Velazquez
Freddy Velazquez marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
David Murguia
David Murguia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Kureha
Kureha marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Rechielle
Rechielle marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
  • Sunday's Child
  • Bay of Fires
  • Displacement
  • This Is Paradise: Stories
  • Marshall McLuhan: You Know Nothing of My Work!
  • Sugar in My Bowl: Real Women Write about Real Sex
  • The Metropolis Case
  • White Masks
  • Like Trees, Walking
  • Two Time
Katie Arnoldi's literary debut Chemical Pink, set in the competitive world of female bodybuilding, became a surprise bestseller, winning Arnoldi praise from critics and readers alike, The Wentworths too graced the bestseller list. She lives in Southern California with her husband, the painter Charles Arnoldi, and their two children.
"
More about Katie Arnoldi...
Chemical Pink The Wentworths The Rattling Wall, Issue 2