Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,148 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In his unconventional verse, Walt Whitman spoke in a powerful, sensual, oratorical, and inspiring voice. His most famous work, Leaves of Grass, was a long-term project that the poet compared to the building of a cathedral or the slow growth of a tree. During his lifetime, from 1819 to 1892, it went through nine editions. Today it is regarded as a landmark of American liter...more
Published May 1st 1991 by Dover Publications (first published 1932)

Justin Jaeger
May 24, 2010 Justin Jaeger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry buffs who are looking for historical perspective
Recommended to Justin by: KaDo
Wow, what an undertaking this was. The thing that impresses me most about Whitman is that the boundaries that he so controversially broke through are now almost forgotten. He was as literally "ahead of his time" as one can be in the world of literature and I find it a beautiful thing that he knew it. It was difficult for me to really understand the profundity of much of his work because his style has permeated American poetry and literature. In my feel, his challenge to the rules and norms of ar...more
Cathy
I have read as much I could!
I have read apostrophes - long, exhaustive lists of apostrophes!
I have felt for the common man
I have felt for the common woman
Yet I have found myself skimming, and rarely pausing.

O these poems are coherent and distinctive.
O they have their moments and doubtless somewhere amongst their long sentences and long stanzas there are jewels.
But I now think of Whitman's contemporaries : of Robert Browning with longing, of Arnold with respect, and allow that even Tennyson may...more
CX Dillhunt
...the Whitman of choice if you only read one...takes you back to the original ecstasy with Whitman's quirkiness and love of language which he couldn't separate from his joie de vivre...magnificent presentation of the man who loved everyone & everything...as if he'd handed you the original manuscript and said, "Here, dear friend!"
Mackenzie Lawrence
I could not get enough of this captivating book filled with dozens of poems that blew my mins. Whitman uses such descriptive words and puts them in a way that feel as if you could be standing right next to him when he was writing it. Or even where he was when he felt or saw the things he did. Each line of each poem in the book you could picture what it is like, to some extent, of what what was happening and you could really sympathize with him when he felt happy or sad. I would recommend this bo...more
HM
والت ویتمن برای شعر آمریکا چیزی در حد نیما برای شعر فارسی است و همراه ادگار آلن پو از بانیان شعر نو و آزاد آمریکا هستند که شاعرانی مانند گینزبرگ و سن ژون پرس و بسیاری دیگر را تحت تاثیر قرار داده اند

جدای ماجراجویی ویتمن برای عبور از خط قرمزهای جامعه و فضای شعری بسته دوران خود نگاه انسانی او نیز بزرگ و ستایش برانگیز است وقتی می بینی سال ها قبل شاعری به نمایندگی از مردم آمریکا در شعرش به شهرها و کوه ها و دشت های جهان سفر می کند و زندگی و اقوام را می ستاید و وقتی در تهران مهمان ما می شود

سلام به دنیا...more
Kirstin Elaine Myers
My son Kane called me last night and asked if I would be his second pair of eyes for his papers he has to write this weekend. The first is one on Walt Whitman, whom my mother loves: From the time I was just a toddler, she was raving about him to me, reading bits of him, etc. Today she told me she has part of his poem about Animals on her wall. So I decided to take the two Walt Whitman books I have on my shelf and read them. I think I have only scanned them in the past as a kind of homage to my m...more
Kamela Souza
could not finish this. not my thing. definitely no longer ethically acceptable.
Cory
Whitman is a poet who needs to be read slowly and deliberately, in a setting that allows for the reader to concentrate on the task at hand (take it from someone who read this on a city bus full of gossips). I should probably reread this in the future in order to understand this better, but for now, three stars.
Jim
I really don't know how to describe Walt Whitman's writings. I personally love them, but then I love poetry and for those who don't it could be difficult or so reading. He wrote in free verse so there is little rhyming in his poetry, what I would call conversational writing. Again his first poem was published in 1855 and written in the cultural language of that time. If you read it slowly, immerse yourself in the meaning of the words, you will have a great experience.
Kayla
I really didn't enjoy this selection of poems, I couldn't even get all the way through. I like reading poetry that moves me, and these poems made me feel nothing, some unique verses but as a whole not very pleasing. Which is too bad because I know there are betters things from Walt Whitman to be sure, a rare miss with this one I guess. If some one could recommend a better selection then the one I just finished I would welcome the suggestion.
David
Extensive collection of Whitman's work. Shows his evolution as a poet and his drive to self-edit and, later in life, self-censor. Exuberant free verse full of love of self and country, and love of love itself. His early work shows a man with no guilt or shame, pleased to be who he is.
Ed D'Arcy Hatton
Dover publications offer an amzing selection. How they ever manage to do it I will never know, but they do, and the quality is really goof. I am not saying the paper it is printed on will last, but it's a batgain non the less!! Buy cheaply from Dover. Highly recommended.
Parker
Definitely not for the faint of heart. Bloom masterfully strings poems by this prolific American poet together that give not only an historical perspective, but also a sense of artistry within the book itself. Beautiful.
Kasandra
Masterful and intoxicating, with an incredible use of language...deeply emotional, and so American it should be required reading for all school children. I go back to Whitman whenever I need inspiration, and he always delivers.
Jenni
Lots of versions of Whitman (he revised excessively) but this version, edited by Gary Schmidgall, is closet to the original poems and there's also some of his essays and poetics. I love this edition.
Suketus
Kiehtovia kuvia niin yksilön suhteesta maailmaan kuin yhteiskunnasta laajemminkin. Paikoin jopa päällekäyvää seksuaalisuutta, mutta ei silti häiritsevissä määrin. Intiimiä, rujoa ja suorapuheista.
Roxie
Not much to say about this excellent work…was the inspiration for my first poem and countless others. My personal fav: I AM HE THAT ACHES WITH LOVE, I know, but hey, it’s poetry!
Robert Davis
While an excellent poet, his poems ended up blurring together as their similar themes and often meandering purpose disabled the lines of distinction.
Michael
Had to read his poem on the annivesary of Abe Lincolns death and the poem on liliacs since they are in bloom! Bought this one for my collection~
Jeremy
Aug 07, 2007 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: most
Shelves: poetry
I found this in my garage while having a smoke recently, and was surprised to find out some of his poems are really good.
This isn't the edition I own or have read, but I have read Song of Myself. The copy I have was a gift from Eirene.
Peter
Again, not a poetry buff, but any well/widely read chap has to dig on some Whitman at one time or another.
Julie
Love this book in spurts. Can't exactly read it for 5 hours like some of you read Twilight...
Michael
A full version of Leaves of Grass 1st edition and several of the his more famous works.
Syd
Jun 28, 2007 Syd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I love Walt Whitman. I love every sensual word that ever dripped from his pen.
Sean Evans
Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) by Walt Whitman (1991)
James Swenson
Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings was surely inspired by Whitman.
John Durden
Overall a great selection of poems by one of my favorite poets!
احسان
با بسیاری از شعر ها نتونستم هیچ ارتباطی برقرار کنم.
Finally taking these books off the shelf to read 1 4 Jan 31, 2009 07:59AM
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Favorite Poems
  • Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure
  • Selected Poetry
  • Poems and Songs
  • Lyric Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • Renascence and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poems and Translations
  • Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth
  • 95 Poems
  • 101 Great American Poems
  • Mark Twain: The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It (Library of America #21)
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during...more
More about Walt Whitman...
Leaves of Grass Song of Myself Poetry and Prose (Library of America) The Complete Poems Leaves of Grass: The First (1855) Edition

“I will be your poet, I will be more to you than to any of the rest.” 4 likes