Choral Society

Choral Society

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Three single women in their fifties meet when they join a choir. Lucy, recently widowed, is a cook and food journalist; Joanna, a successful business woman, never married; Rebecca is a divorced interior decorator. Each of the women is at a crossroads and they quickly form a bond.
Published October 1st 2009 by Quercus Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Jean
The book is entitled "Choral Society". This book is formulaic. Three women meet in a choral group. At the beginning of the book each woman has a short-coming. By the end of the book they have resolved their problems in one way or another.

As a musician who has conducted several choirs in my career I thought this book would be of interest to me. Admittedly the three main characters meet because they join a choral group, but the book deals with their separate lives and we hardly hear much about th...more
Kathleen
This novel was a true surprise to me. Written by an author previously noted for cook books, "Choral Society" introduces four women, all strangers, who resolve issues confronting them in midlife through their unexpected decision to join a singing group. The women are interesting, far from saintly, and their actions were often courageous, sometimes disappointing but true to their beliefs. The novel is well written and posed some interesting questions and reflections to me.
Joanne
I enjoyed this book because I liked the way the author developed all the characters. However, I really didn't identify with them and, although I liked one of them, the other two didn't appeal to me. The story was nice and did show that women can do things to change their lives, even if they are in their 50s. Part of the problem for me may have been
Roz

It's an easy read but I have read far better 'chic lit' than this. I can't say it really held my interest and certainly wasn't a page turner. It was all just a bit too dull and frankly unbelievable, how many people can afford to buy a Cornish mansion on a whim and refurbish it?
P.d.r. Lindsay
This is a polished tale from an experienced and thoughtful writer. Humourous in its own way, because readers can laugh gently at themselves as they laugh at the antics, thoughts and habits of the three main characters, it also asks the reader think as well as laugh.
Rebecca, Lucy and Joanna join a choral society for three different reasons and are thrown together by their choral master to help Joanna relax enough to be able to sing out loud. Lucy is sinking into depression, she’s a newly bereav...more
LindyLouMac
Prue Leith is a name you probably associate with cookery rather than fiction although it is now many years since she gave up that career to become a novelist. I have read three of Prue Leiths earlier fiction offerings starting with Leaving Patrick , in 1999, Sisters in 2002, and The Gardener in 2008 by which time I was writing short reviews on Bookcrossing. Her novels are not great literature but they are enjoyable and realistic, as she draws on her own life experiences as a business woman and a...more
Lesley
A very light read. Formulaic and predictable. I read somewhere that Pru Leith was described as Sophie Kinsella for grown ups. I'm not sure about that. Although the three main characters are in their late 40's/50's at least one of them doesn't seem grown up at all. I found it a bit messy in construction. Not a bad read but not a great one.
Jane
This book was left by an Australian guest who recommended it as a light read and this is exactly what it was and what I needed at the time, having just read The Journeyer by Gary Jennings. The plot was fairly predictable and the central characters an unlikely trio. At times I felt that the story line was lacking credibility and the characters lacked depth. Time seemed to travel at lighting speed throughout the story with leaps and bounds which meant the author didn't give either the story or the...more
Carol
Enjoyed this one. The characters were well developed and interesting, good read.
Heather
I really enjoyed this story! It was refreshing to have characters who weren't "just out of their teens" or in the yummy brigade of their 30's!
It took me a little while to get to know the characters and occasionally I had to remind myself who was who, but overall they were beleivable women, and one of them (Rebecca) did remind me of my mum in some places!

As a book I downloaded on a bit of a whim, I'm glad I did and I would not hesitate to read again or reccomend it to a friend to read.
Melissa
Story of 3 mid-50's women who join a chorus and then buy a B&B together. Widow, business woman and divorce/. The behavior of the divorced woman seemed a bit much for someone her age and I guarantee that a mid-50's woman who hasn't had plastic surgery is not going to excite a bunch of 20 year old guys when she takes her swimsuit top off! Laugh and swim away more likely.
Leanne Hunt
The story of three fifty-something women who meet at a singing class, this book proved a light and entertaining read, just the thing to keep me preoccupied on the treadmill and rekindle my yearning to visit Cornwall. It is full of warmth and depicts friendship between women well. I recommend it for a feel-good read when winter has you feeling low.
Tasneem
I love this book. The characters are all women I can identify with. Their friendship makes sense. And I love the fact that the women are not defined only through their men, that they aren't all looking finally for the ring on their finger and the title of wife.

A really good book, very English in many ways.
I really liked the book. It was an easy read with a gentle story line and one that actually had me reading when I would otherwise be surfing of an evening or downtime at weekends. Not read at night or at the weekend for ages normally happens just on the commute.
Saleris
It's a pleasant spring read. Nothing too taxing, with a nice scattering of sex and relationship problems. It has a satisfying ending and if there was a sequel, I think I might buy it.
McArthur and Company
Prue Leith has been described as "Sophie Kinsella for grown-ups" (Daily Express) and this uplifting tribute to female friendship proves that life doesn't end after fifty.
Janet Bramley
I wouldn't have classed this as chic-lit, more romantic fiction. Easy read, fairly predictable. But I enjoyed it.
Gina
Really dragged, I found myself skimming too much, just wanting to get to the end. Mildly entertaining as chick lit.
Melanie Mckenzie
A good read that shows good friends can have different priorities and lifestyles but still care for each other.
Jessie
i really enjoyed this book - from the characters to the well-described locations. and the food! yum!
Kathy Lautenschlager
Very well done. I think it appealed to me because it was written about women in my age group.
Linda
Good chic lit book,about friendship and being there for each other
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I thought this book was ok, not outstanding but ok.
Alison Smith
Chick-lit for grown-ups; very readable.
Lisa
Slow starter but a good book with a happy ending
Jackie
Not very exciting older chic lit
Susan
Jul 14, 2009 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
May 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Leith's Cookery Bible Relish - My Life on a Plate A Serving of Scandal The Gardener Leaving Patrick