Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  17,771 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Over 100 best-known, best-loved poems by one of America s foremost poets, reprinted from authoritative early editions. The Snake, Hope, The Chariot, and many more, display the unflinching honesty, psychological penetration, and technical adventurousness that have delighted and impressed generations of poetry lovers. Author: Emily DickinsonPages: 64 pages, paperbackPublishe ...more
Paperback, Dover Thrift Editions, 54 pages
Published July 1st 1990 by Dover Publications (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Bookdragon Sean
Nov 12, 2015 Bookdragon Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of all things gothic
Emily Dickinson is one of my favourite poets; she is the gothic queen of poetry. At times she strongly reminds me of Edgar Allan Poe. Her poems are less macabre than Poe’s and certainly less fantastical, focusing more on human perception of the darkness and the realities of life, but her work is undoubtedly on par with his in the vein of dark romanticism.

There’s just something exceedingly morose about the way in which she writes. She was terribly depressed for much of her life, and such a pessi
Florencia
Feb 23, 2014 Florencia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.

This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

She described my needs with beauty and accuracy. That is all I need. A book. And coffee. And maybe something to eat. But mostly a book.

Last weekend (weekends; the only time I can read like a maniac and write some things), I put on hold all my currently-reading books and dedicated my
Paul Bryant
Oct 28, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime

Because I could not stop for Cops
They kindly Stopped for Me
The Roadblocks covered all three lanes
Perfect Symmetry

A narrow Fellow - in the grass
With one eyed – snake – and smile
You may have met him – did you not
The local – paedo – phile

I heard a Boy-Band - when I died
The Radio - was on
And rushing so - to switch it Off
And catching - my left Thumb

And dancing round in - Painful Jig
And - tripping on a clod
Such - Banal invitation - to
The Vestibule of God

Hope is a thing with feathers
That perches in
Dolors
Mar 16, 2014 Dolors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those inebriated of air
Recommended to Dolors by: Ted Hughes
“There is the mosaic, pictogram concentration of ideas into which she codes a volcanic elemental imagination, an apocalyptic vision; there is the tranced suspense and deliberation in her punctuation of dashes, and the riddling, oblique artistic strategies, the Shakespearian texture of the language, solid with metaphor, saturated with homeliest imagery and experience; and everywhere there is the teeming carnival of world-life”
Introduction by Ted Hughes in Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson.

I th
sweet jane
Dec 17, 2016 sweet jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We grow up accustomed to the Dark"

We grow accustomed to the Dark –
When Light is put away –
As when the Neighbor holds the Lamp
To witness her Goodbye –

A Moment - We uncertain step
For newness of the night –
Then – fit our Vision to the Dark –

Or Star – come out– within –

The Bravest – grope a little –
And sometimes hit a Tree
Directly in the Forehead –
But as they learn to see –

Eit
Matthew
Jun 19, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This volume of Dickinson's poetry is selected with an introduction by the poet Billy Collins. The introduction is standard, with Collins establishing biographical details and historical context. Which is interesting, but common knowledge to anyone who has read anything about Dickinson. What makes the introduction interesting is Collins's perspective on Dickinson's "letters to the world": his admiration for her use of metaphor, her figure of speech that he likens to "a kind of New England surreal ...more
Ana Rînceanu
If melancholy, longing and quiet passion are your game, Emily Dickinson is your girl.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Selected poems, Emily Dickinson
عنوان: رویش خاموش گدازه ها: شعرهای امیلی دیکنسون؛ مترجم: محمدرحیم اخوت؛ حمید فرازنده؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، آگاه، 1388، در 178 و 102 ص، شابک: 9789644162947؛ فارسی انگلیسی؛ از شعرهای برگزیده امیلی دیکنسون
Sheila
Dec 07, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, poetry
My first reading of Emily Dickinson is not actually in this collection selected by Ted Hughes. They were love poems called Wild Nights! Wild Nights! and I cannot live with you. I knew then that this poet is going to be one of my favorites. The imagery she paints is just too unique and original that reading them over and over again can produce different meanings for the reader.

In this collection, Ted Hughes, also a notable poet, not least because he was married to Sylvia Plath, selected 40-plus
Kadidja May
I love poetry, though I wonder sometimes whether I love the idea of poetry more than the thing itself. Of course that's not entirely true because give me a deep poem and I will always admire you (and maybe fall a little bit in love, too). Still. I don't read it often.

I say this because I don't feel qualified to rate this selection. I read somewhere that for those who read/love/know Dickinson, the lack of her characteristic punctuation and capitalisation is a drawback in this edition. Understanda
Cristina
Oct 16, 2015 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En palabras de Laura Freixas, Emily Dickinson es una genia con habitación propia. Completamente de acuerdo.

Aquí podéis escuchar la conferencia entera que le dedica Freixas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-4r...

Dos poemas:

But if the Heart omit
Emaciate the Wit —
The Aliment of it
So absolute.

I died for Beauty-but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb
When One who died for Truth, was lain
In an adjoing Room-

He ques
Amalie
Jan 13, 2012 Amalie rated it really liked it
My first reading of Dickinson's poetry and I LOVED them. This collection includes over 100 of her poetry obviously the best. At first glance the book and poems seemed so simple and easy to read so I picked it up to read in my spare time (if I ever get any) but it ended up stealing the time I wanted to spend on other books. There is a rich suggestiveness in her poems which generates a range of meanings, and they make you stop and think because every poem seems has more than one meaning.

I see the
Jane Reye
Mar 22, 2015 Jane Reye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Martyr Poets

The Martyr Poets — did not tell —
But wrought their Pang in syllable —
That when their mortal name be numb —
Their mortal fate — encourage Some —

The Martyr Painters — never spoke —
Bequeathing — rather — to their Work
That when their conscious fingers cease —
Some seek in Art — the Art of Peace —
Jasi
Jan 02, 2016 Jasi rated it it was amazing
Ein Gedicht schöner als das andere. Emily Dickinson hat mit ihren Worten nicht nur unzählige Gefühle sondern auch die Schönheit der Natur eingefangen. Sie ist zweifellos eine meiner liebsten Dichterinnen.
Amanda
Feb 17, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I loved this. I love short poems and Emily - we're on a first name basis - is queen of the short form. I adored more than half the poems in this 100 poem collection. I'm pretty sure Emily and I would have gotten along, especially ten years ago when I was a goth and writing poetry every day!
Judy
Nov 19, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good selection of poems, but the big drawback is that Dickinson's unusual punctuation has been smoothed out and most of her characteristic dashes have been removed.
Ana  Lourenço
Don't think I'm qualified enough to rate this. Also not particularly a fan of the style and themes.
Patrick Gibson
Sep 03, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Don't laugh; she is a wonderful poet.

"Bring me the sunset in a cup,
Reckon the morning’s flagons up
And say how many Dew,
Tell me how far the morning leaps—
Tell me what time the weaver sleeps
Who spun the breadth of blue!

Write me how many notes there be
In the new Robin’s ecstasy
Among astonished boughs—
How many trips the Tortoise makes—
How many cups the Bee partakes,
The Debauchee of Dews!

Also, who laid the Rainbow’s piers,
Also, who leads the docile spheres
By withes of supple blue?
Whose fingers string
Sara Bakker
Apr 13, 2013 Sara Bakker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just to confirm her saying:
“If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry.”
It is all breath taking, It is so deep , taking you worlds, giving you so many feelings to experience , so many words to be decoded into real feelings ...
It is just WOW !
Ally
Jul 23, 2016 Ally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My first time reading of Dickinson's poetry and I loved it. So much.

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain."
Gita
Aug 23, 2007 Gita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Dickinson always wrote her poems in eccentric way and on her own imaginative originality, use metaphors in her poems with a large of vocabularies to describe love, life, and nature. Some of her poems tried to examine the mysteries of life and death.
Jackson Cyril
Dickinson, along with Blake, Shakespeare and Whitman, retains the power to shock me even after multiple readings.
Kimberley doruyter
Apr 08, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it really liked it
i didn't think i was gonna like dickinson as much as i did.
my fav was the lost jewel, i don't know why.

bad idea to read this two days after you had to put down your dog.
Mercedé Khodadadi
Awesome! I usually have difficulty understanding certain English poetry, but this collection was so good to read. I'll read it as many times as I can.
Pink
May 10, 2013 Pink rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I try. I really, really try. I just don't seem to understand poetry. I'm sure this is a 5 star book, but I don't want to ever read it again.
Hoda mohamadi
Mar 26, 2010 Hoda mohamadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am nobody who r u?
r u nobody too?
then there is a pair of us....
Mila
Mar 31, 2017 Mila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I expound the skies?
How still the Riddle lies!

I see Emily Dickinson as a protestant Hidelgard von Bingen. Not only because of her reclusive life and her mystical connection to nature, but also because of her profound musicianship in language, her intense curiosity, her quiet and yet restless being.
Her poetry is a spatial journey into a human soul. It maps the slightest human feeling, sensation or emotion, making them look concrete and intimate. It locates in and across space, abstractions su
Vanessa
Feb 11, 2017 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, books-i-own
I'll be forever grateful that Terence Davies made a movie about Emily Dickinson or I would never have read any of her poems. This book is probably a good way to start because it gives an insight in her work if you, like me, don't want to buy the collected works because you aren't sure if you're gonna like her style. I don't like everything in this collection but most of it is pretty great and one of the last poems still makes me cry every time I read it.

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kind
Melanie
Mar 15, 2017 Melanie rated it it was amazing
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

This was the first time I've read Dickinson since seventh grade, and my god, is she incredible. She has a way of seeming as if she's speaking your own thoughts and nodding to you at how true they are. This slender book is a frugal chariot, indeed.
Catherine Corman
The little toil of love, I thought,
Was large enough for me.

-Emily Dickinson
Goodreads Librari...: Editions: Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson 4 16 Jun 22, 2015 05:28AM
  • The Road Not Taken and Other Poems
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Poetry
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Complete Poems
  • My Last Duchess and Other Poems
  • Essays and Poems
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...

“There is no Frigate like a Book
To take us Lands away
Nor any Coursers like a Page
Of prancing Poetry –
This Traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of Toll –
How frugal is the Chariot
That bears a Human soul.”
421 likes
“She died--this was the way she died;
And when her breath was done,
Took up her simple wardrobe
And started for the sun.
Her little figure at the gate
The angels must have spied,
Since I could never find her
Upon the mortal side.”