The Poet Assassinated

The Poet Assassinated

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The poet Apollinaire was modernism's first champion, and after his early death in 1918, he became its first saint.

In 1916, while recovering from a head wound received in World War I, he published The Poet Assassinated, his most famous work of prose; a roman a clef mythologizing himself as well as friends and enemies including Pablo Picasso, Marie Laurencin, Jean Cocteau,

Published April 1st 2000 by Exact Change (first published January 1st 1972)

Eddie Watkins
Written with such knowing innocence and off-the-cuff verve, these stories could be nothing less than infectiously charming. There's nothing else like them. While riding the various ripples and waves of early Modernism like a cubist surf jockey with a top hat, Apollinaire infuses his writing with a refined Medievel primitivism and a fairy tale spontaneity; but within the jauntiness are embedded wounds, emotional depths, and wisdom - all qualities you'd expect from the man in this photograph, wher...more
Jesse K
Books on Exact Change, while never lacking in quality, can be a little dense on occasion. That's probably why this one languished on my shelf for a bit. It was actually extremely easygoing and remarkably funny. While it's an important historical document, it definitely lacks the level of pretense that the title would seem to indicate.
Craig
In parts amazing. I loved "The Deified Invalid". Spotty, rambling, infectiously buoyant, profound and puerile. About what I expected from the man who coined the term, "surrealist". I seem to remember that he was trepanned (had part of his brain removed) after an injury in WWI. I wonder if that was before or after he wrote this.
Brad
I actually have this in a hardcover version, but didn't feel like searching too hard on here for it. Anyway, this is another of my absolute favorite collections of short stories. If you are into what the surrealists were doing in the realms of painting and film, you owe it to yourself to read some of these stories.
Adriano Godinho
interesting way of putting things.. the short story of the same name "the poet assassinated" is really better than the others, but all of them have something interesting.
Georgy
The shorter stories in my opinion are better, than the main one. It becomes vibrant and interesting near the end.
Ben Loory
i had no patience for this. i think it was supposed to be a fun crazy romp, but it just seemed like a silly romp to me.
Mitch
Fabulous book, great stories, translated by Ron Padgett, whose translations from the French always set the bar high.
Banu
bazı öykülerden gerçekten çok zevk aldım... rahatlıkla tavsiye ederim...
S
Feb 22, 2009 S added it
Le poète assassiné, 1916
Matthew Josephson, trans
Glenn Russell
Glenn Russell is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Daniel Thomas Daly
Daniel Thomas Daly marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Maura Bouqa
Maura Bouqa marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Francisco Márquez
Francisco Márquez marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Aaron C. Thomas
Aaron C. Thomas is currently reading it
May 09, 2014
Nicolas Kin
Nicolas Kin marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Katarina
Katarina marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Gabriella
Gabriella marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
J. V.
J. V. is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2014
Chris Burkhalter
Chris Burkhalter marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
James Munt
James Munt marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Simply Reading: New member (Craig) 1 7 Jan 28, 2013 04:22PM
Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki, known as Guillaume Apollinaire (in French pronounced [ɡijom apɔliˈnɛʁ]) was a French poet, writer, and art critic born in Italy to a Polish mother.

Among the foremost poets of the early 20th century, he is credited with coining the word surrealism and writing one of the earliest works described as surrealist, the play Les Mamelles de Tirésias (1917,...more
More about Guillaume Apollinaire...
Alcools Selected Writings Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916) Les Onze Milles Verges Les exploits d'un jeune don Juan