Start by marking “Maybe You Should Fly A Jet! Maybe You Should Be A Vet!” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Maybe You Should Fly A...

Michael Smollin

Maybe You Should Fly A Jet! Maybe You Should Be A Vet! (Beginner Books B-67)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,218 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Every child who has ever been asked that age-old question will find in this lively book a world of outlandish answers as well as real possibilities.

This light-hearted, free-wheeling celebration of jobs plain and fancy should help children see that work is what you make it. At the same time, the catchy rhymes and funny pictures make it a perfect book for beginning readers t
Published April 27th 1981 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1980)

Shannon D.
Feb 22, 2012 Shannon D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe You Should Fly a Jet is a picture book that makes children think about what they may want to do when they grow up. This is a fun book because it rhymes all the way through and has silly pictures to go along with each job. There really is no beginning, middle or end because there is no plot. The author informs us that this is a Beginner Book so the ages that this is directed towards would most likely be from three to five years old.
The artwork in this book uses bright colors and thicker l
R
Mar 26, 2013 R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book comprised of a rhyming list of jobs...except for three. Voice, Talker, and Bride. Judging from the picture, voice is supposed to mean singer. Talker is harder. The picture might indicate philosopher or book critic. Politician, pundit, or public speaker might work though the picture doesn't particularly support them. Bride has no excuse. Either it's indicating that you can marry rich and be a trophy wife, or you can be a professional black widow, neither of which is a particularly good mes ...more
Hope Johnson
This book is full of rhyming words and look-alike words. You can help kids learn how to recognize look-alike words using their prior knowledge. It can also show kids the literary technique of asking a one word question for emphasis. This book allows he children to see their parents, and their futures in the pages of the book. It lists many different careers in ALL different areas. This book can be extended by allowing to write about what they want to be a illustrate it. This will help them with ...more
Saquib
Jun 06, 2014 Saquib rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Confused people
Shelves: bookshelf
This book remains to be my guiding force in life. It is very deep, just think about it! I read it when I need direction, or there is pressure for my life to morph into a certain way.

Most definitely, one of the Doc's best books.

If anyone has ever found out what a FOICE is, please explain. There are so many choices!

"Don't bother to pack your bags
Or your map
We won't need them where we're goin'
We're goin' where the wind is blowin'
Not knowin' where we're gonna stay"
Jordan
Nov 15, 2015 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dr-seuss
“Maybe you should fly a jet! Maybe you should be a vet!” by Dr. Seuss is a book full of rhyming words that poses the question to children what do you want to be when you grow up. It list a bunch of different occupations. This book also contains look- alike words. This book can help children learn how to recognize look-alike words using their prior knowledge, like the picture if the pizza maker. This book allows children to picture their futures in the pages of the book doing different jobs. It l ...more
Josephine
hhahahah I did read this.. heck I OWN this..

such a cute rhyming book :DD
Austin Wright
Feb 03, 2015 Austin Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend Kevin is reading a list of best children's books. I am following suite in order to discuss the books with him. By default, I give the books four-stars because they're good at what they're intended to do, which is to keep the attention of children and introduce them to literature.

Positive, and hopeful. Transgresses gender stereotypes, slightly.
Katie Loucks
good book for kids about jobs
Robert
Apr 10, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dr-seuss, 3-5, occupation, own, cfc
I had never heard of this book. I found another box of books from my sister tonight. This was tucked inside. I like it. The illustrations are not Seuss, just the text.

The question is what will you be/do? Then the good doctor takes through a whirlwind of occupations. I tell my students yearly that I didn't know what all the possibilities were. Had I, I may have chosen to do something different. Meteorologist and cartographer are things I would have pursued.

Nicely done!
Vanessa Easley
Really enjoyed this book because it wasn't just all the typical careers or jobs, but lots of different kinds of jobs for kids to look at that they could do if they decide to. I found the bride one an odd "job" to put in there because it felt like it was hinting at marrying rich and not working. I felt like this book also did a good job of showing girls and boys they can be anything they want and that their career doesn't have to be based on their sex.
Samantha
A book of occupations that for me reads a lot like playing a game of Old Maid (remember all the occupations and the brightly colored illustrations?)

Most professions are familiar and some have difficult names (Lepidopterist) and together they present an array of choices that's exciting and represent all types of interests.
Stephanie
This book tells a bunch of different jobs and asks if readers would like to have those jobs. It is a great book to expose books to a bunch of different jobs. Children may find a new job that interests them. Students can write a story about what job they would like when they grow up.
Slytano
Feb 27, 2013 Slytano rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
This book teaches kids they can take on any vocation if they are white. Even a bride.

They may become a noodle noodler if their race is slightly ambiguous.
Heather
Oct 30, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book for inspiring kids to think about what they would like to be when they grow up.
Janice
Sep 11, 2008 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sierra-s-books
We will probably like better in a couple of years.
Tyler Roman
A great rhyming book that all children are sure to love.
Brynja Carlson
Nov 10, 2012 Brynja Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
glass blower? mushroom grower?
how about a fishbone boner?
Joshua
Jun 25, 2010 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i decided i would be an astronaut!
Daebear
Apr 29, 2013 Daebear rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
well it didn't let me read it -.-
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Theresa
listing all you can do
Brandon
Maybe i should be a writer.
Michelle McPherson
Michelle McPherson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Hadeer
Hadeer rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Gmtheater
Gmtheater marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Aljane Almazan
Aljane Almazan rated it really liked it
Shabalabadingdong
Shabalabadingdong marked it as to-read
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
  • Great Day for Up
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Wings on Things
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles