Start by marking “Legends: Eleven New Works by the Masters of Modern Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Legends: Eleven New Works by the Masters of Modern Fantasy

Legends: Eleven New Works by the Masters of Modern Fantasy (Legends I (all stories))

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  5,899 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Acclaimed writer and editor Robert Silverberg gathered 11 of the finest writers in fantasy to contribute to this collection of short novels. Each of the writers was asked to write a new story based on one of his or her most famous series, and the results are wonderful.
New Spring by Robert Jordan
The Burning Man by Tad Williams
The Wood Boy by Raymond E. Feist
The Hedge Kn
Published October 5th 1998 by Voyager (first published 1998)

Eric
Jul 11, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
The stories I read from this collection are:

'The Hedge Night' by George R.R. Martin

What a phenomenal story. I'm glad I was introduced to Dunk and Egg in the Warriors anthology, even if it meant reading these characters' stories out of order.

'Grinning Man' by Orson Scott Card

An interesting story set in a unique alternative America. I was particularly fond of the "knack" magic system. This story makes me want to read other Alvin Maker tales, despite my reservations that the character is based on T
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Jan 06, 2015 Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) by: Danielle

The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluria: 3/5

Decent, but I gave up on this series after the fourth book. So no real connection or investment in the short story for the series.

Discworld: The Sea and Little Fishes - 4/5

I always enjoy a visit to Pratchett's Discworld and Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are big favorites.

The Sword of Truth: Debt of Bones - 1/5

A short story from a series I really do not like. I can't stand the way Goodkind writes women (or antagonists, or protagonists, or humans)
Agnes
Jan 17, 2016 Agnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent short story collection. I really loved almost all off them .

The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluria: 5/5

The Riftwar Saga: The Wood Boy - 3/5

The Wheel of Time: New Spring - 3,5/5
Amy
Dec 03, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My main reason for buying this book initially was the new Robert Jordan story "New Spring," which sheds light on certain events in the Wheel of Time series. That it also had stories by some of my other favorite authors, Tad Williams and Anne McCaffrey was a bonus. I didn't read all the stories included (I wasn't interested in the King or Silverberg ones at all), but I found most of them quite enjoyable. Marketing genius here: I started reading the Alvin Maker (Card), Discworld (Pratchett), Riftw ...more
Chance
Feb 21, 2011 Chance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is an anthology of short stories from a number of fantasy series writers I'll give a quick run down of my feelings about them individually.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Little Sisters of Eluria. I love the Dark Tower series, and I remember searching this anthology out just to read Little Sisters when I was reading The Dark Tower books. It remaninds one of my favorite King short stories, but that may just be because I love Roland so much. :)

Terry Prachett: Discworld: The Sea and
Matt
The eleven stories with in this first "Legends" anthology are by some of the best writers of fantasy and science fiction, both in prose and sales. Edited by Robert Silverberg, who also contributed as well, the stories range within their established fictional worlds from stand alone either connect with the main series or in-between main series books or prequels with mixed results.

The best stories whether, stand alone or prequel, had the same things in common. First the reader did not need to know
Liss Capello
Jul 19, 2012 Liss Capello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I requested this book in order to read the first of the Dunk and Egg tales by George R. R. Martin. Typically I'm not very enthusiastic about anthologies, because they tend to be huge (meaning they take forever to read) and uneven (meaning I have to slog through boring stories in order to get to the ones I enjoy). Although this clocks in at 715 pages and therefore fills the first downfall, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stories contained herein. Most of them are actually pretty ...more
Richard
Mar 23, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this collection up primarily because it is the only place I could find online that had the first of George R. R. Martin's Dunk and Egg stories set in the Song of Ice and Fire series and wasn't priced preposterously high. As a whole, the collection was well worth it for the rest of the stories it contained. Some were bound to be better than others, of course, but there were a few gems. Since this is an anthology, I've tried to keep up with my opinions of each of the stories it contained ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This is really a brilliant idea for a collection, and the execution is fantastic. If you follow long-form fantasy at all, you'll probably at least recognize all of these authors, and each story is a pretty good capsule of the author's style and world. I've found that my reaction to the story maps pretty closely to my reaction to the series as a whole, and so this was a great way to encounter authors I hadn't yet read (Terry Pratchett, most notably - the Granny Weatherwax story is perfect and a p ...more
Gulen
Nov 30, 2012 Gulen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok sevdiğim yazarların, yine çok sevdiğim serilerinden hikayeler içeren antolojinin ilki, Lan ve Moirane'in tanışmasını anlatan New Spring'in ilk yayınlandığı antoloji..Aynı şekilde Hedge Knight'da ilk burada yayınlanmıştı..
Elizabeth
Disclaimer: I only read the GRRM Dunk & Egg novella, and that is what my review is for. I had no interest in reading the rest of the short stories, as they all seemed to belong to existing series rather than being stand-alone tales, and I always find myself mostly lost when reading those sorts of stories.

I picked up this story with some trepidation, because I have mixed feelings about GRRM’s writing. I loved the first three ASOIAF novels, but reading the last two brought back feelings of be
Ray Ziemer
The concept behind this weighty 1998 tome was the publication of new short novels and stories by “legendary” creators of popular fantasy worlds – original adventures of their heroes, sequels, or prequels foreshadowing the events chronicled in their classic series. I’ve never been a big fan of fantasy fiction – my usually broad interests encompass hard sci-fi among other forms of popular and classic literature.

George R. R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire has been a major deviation for me. I’ve beco
Emily
Mar 17, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well-written collection of short stories by sci-fi & fantasy authors, each related to one the authors' series. My favorite was probably the Earthsea story by Ursula K. LeGuin, but all of them were quite good. This is the first "Legends" collection by editor Robert Silverberg, and includes all the stories. It was also published in a 3-volume set as "Legends Vol. 1" etc.

For my own convenience I'm listing the stories, the authors and their series here:

"The Little Sisters of Elur
Lauren
May 01, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking a star rating for an anthology is difficult since I had a range of reactions to the stories in this book. The Terry Goodkind and Robert Silverberg stories were my least favorite. The writing in both was immature and overly moral, particularly the Goodkind. The Silverberg stretched too long and just was not interesting. Ursula K. LeGuin and Anne McCaffrey's stories were middling quality; I didn't dislike them like I did "Debt of Bones" and "The Seventh Shrine", but they didn't strike me t ...more
Adrienne
Jul 21, 2011 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
Not read all of these stories, only The Hedge Knight by George R. R. Martin and New Spring by Robert Jordan. What a fortuitous collection of short stories this was. Both are add on stories to my favourite fantasy worlds. I look forward to exploring the rest of these when I'm done reading the other series I am invested in.

Fans of Martin may be tempted to pick this up to get more of the world in his gigantic The Song of Ice and Fire series. For best results and the most payoff in connecting the t
John Ferringer
Jun 09, 2015 John Ferringer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made a point of grabbing this specifically because it had the first Dunk and Egg short story from George R.R. Martin, but top to bottom its filled with outstanding stories from so many authors. Highly recommend...
Bryan
Jul 11, 2013 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for George R. R. Martin's first Hedge Knight story, which is excellent. It also has stories set in Anne McCaffrey's Pern and Robert Silverberg's Majipoor, as well as a number of other popular fantasy worlds. If I remember correctly, the theme is encompassed by the title, and all of the stories take place in those worlds' early histories.
Cathy (cathepsut)
I read this book several years ago. I don't remember when or where or what it looked like. Back then I probably picked it up because of Anne McCaffrey. But the only reason I remember the book at all and why I found it again is The Hedge Knight. My memory of the story is sketchy at best, but it made me get the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I am now listening to the audiobook of A Dance with Dragons. If you are a fan of classic fantasy and are not scar
Mike
Nov 06, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read all the stories yet, but have enjoyed most of them so far. Picked it up for George RR Martin's ASOIAF prequel "The Hedge Knight", which was awesome as expected, 5 stars easy. Also honorable to mention to "Debt of Bones" by Terry Goodkind from The Sword of Truth series which grabbed my attention. Some other entertaining stories mixed in there as well and I may have found a few new series to get in to like The Tales of Alvin Maker and The Wheel of Time. I'd recommend the whole colle ...more
Rena Sherwood
This was yet another in an ever-growing list of anthologies that started out great and then whimpered off into the night. I couldn't finish the last story by Robert Jordan because it was so confusing I just couldn't give a damn. The Anne McCafferty was another HUGE disappointment -- it read just like a Mercedes Lackey novel (bleh.) I also don't know why Robert Silverberg had to give away series spoilers in his far-too-long introductions.

However, this had some great things going for it:

1) The Ter
Nicole
Nov 26, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
Andy
Apr 17, 2016 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to give this one an overall rating, since the stories hugely vary in quality. I bought it for two: The Little Sisters of Eluria (Stephen King, Dark Tower series), and The Hedge Knight (George R. R. Martin, Song of Ice and Fire series). Each story in this collection is part of a larger, pre-existing series, and some of them work if you haven't read the other books and some don't.

The Little Sisters of Eluria, Stephen King. 3 stars.
Adding a bit of color to the Gunslinger's solo journey before
Lizbeth Gabriel
Sep 28, 2015 Lizbeth Gabriel rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. I haven't read any of the so-called modern classics of the genre, and this anthology was a perfect collection of characteristic samples. Each story gave me a glimpse of the author's world and familiarised me with their writing style. I already know and love S. King, T. Pratchett and U. LeGuin, but had not read any of the rest until I read this book.

If possible, I like to discover my compatibility with an author before I buy one of their longer books, and this anthology w
Sam Gilbert
I enjoyed the Terry Pratchett story even though it was the second time I was reading it. I took a very long time to start the first story because I do not like horror and Stephen King's story was the first one in the book. (I confess I have a slight complex about books. I start at the beginning and go to the end. If I cannot finish the beginning, I do not finish the book. This goes for anthologies as well. This is why I like when authors release their novellas in separate editions rather than pa ...more
Mat
Sep 24, 2015 Mat rated it liked it
King: 4/5 - I read a lot of his horror novels in high school, and "The Little Sisters of Eluria" definitely kindled my interest in his Dark Tower saga.
Pratchett: 4/5 - I remember reading a Discworld novel in high school (again), but I didn't enjoy it that much. Fortunately "The Sea and Little Fishes" made me want to give it another try.
Goodkind: 1/5 - And one wonders why fantasy is widely considered a genre for adolescents…
Card: 1/5 - See above.
Silverberg: 4/5 - Very intriguing. "The Seventh Shr
Gavin Felgate
Oct 09, 2014 Gavin Felgate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleven short stories/novellettes by contemporary fantasy writers, forming part of the canons of their well-known fantasy/sci-fi series.

This book contains:
The Little Sisters of Eluria (Stephen King - The Dark Tower)
The Sea and Little Fishes (Terry Pratchett - Discworld)
Debt of Bones (Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth)
Grinning Man (Orson Scott Card - Tales of Alvin Maker)
The Seventh Shrine (Robert Silverberg - Majipoor)
Dragonfly (Ursula K. Le Guin - Earthsea)
The Burning Man (Tad Williams - Memor
Jess
Jul 21, 2016 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-nerdery
I learned about this book because I got The Very Best of Tad Williams from the library, and in the frontmatter where it lists all his works, it mentioned an Osten Ard story that I'd never read—never even heard of. Given that the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy is my favorite series ever, I was pretty surprised that I hadn't known about it and pretty excited to read it.

It's been twenty years since I've read anything new about Osten Ard—I've re-read the series many times since then, but finishe
Amy
Feb 01, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up specifically to read Little Sisters of Eluria (part of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and a great, creepy story that stands fully by itself), but I did read most of the other stories. The talk of Dunk & Egg in The Hedge Knight made me want to read George R. R. Marten's Song of Ice and Fire, Dragonfly made me want to read to read Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea, and Debt of Bones made me want to read Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth. As per usual, Robert Jordan spent a lot ...more
Nel-ly
Díky sborníku jsem narazila na povídku od nějakého pana Goodkinda (prioriteně jsem si knihu pujčovala dysi kvůli Kingovi, ale pak jsem si koupila kvůli Dlužní kosti :D )
Angelica
Feb 22, 2014 Angelica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read through some of these a while ago and then read some more of them this week.

I really enjoyed the stories from "The Dark Tower", "Discworld", and "A Song of Ice and Fire". (Probably "New Spring" fits here too, but it's been so long since I've read that one.)
I thought the story from "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" was okay.
I don't remember what I thought of "Debt of Bones", but I didn't care much for the Sword of Truth series.
The others I skimmed through, but they didn't grab me.

The only surpri
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Reave the Just and Other Tales
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...

Legends (2 books)
  • Legends II

“Because love does not do sums, but instead make choices, and then gives its all.” 3 likes
“You’re not too tall,” Dunk blurted out. “You’re just right for …” He realized what he had been about to say, and blushed furiously. “For?” said Tanselle, cocking her head inquisitively. “Puppets,” he finished lamely.” 1 likes