Start by marking “Philosophy of Mind: A Beginner's Guide” as Want to Read:
Philosophy of Mind: A Beginner's Guide

Philosophy of Mind: A Beginner's Guide

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Designed specifically for students with no background knowledge in the subject, this accessible introduction covers all of the basic concepts and major theories in the philosophy of mind. Topics discussed include dualism, behaviorism, the identity theory, functionalism, the computational theory of mind, connectionism, physicalism, mental causation, and consciousness. The t ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy of Mind

Mahya Moq
خوب و روون و قابل فهم.:)
به این کتاب 4 ستاره دادم چون خیلی ساده و روون نوشته و ترجمه شده و در برآورده کردن هدف اصلیش که همون مقدمه ای بر فلسقه ی ذهن بود موفق عمل کرده .
ولی !!!! راجع به خود فلسفه ی ذهن :
فلسفه ی ذهن تقریبا نوعی به ابتذال کشیدن فلسفس ! هر جوری دلشون خواسته قانون های عقلی فلسفه مثل علیت و جوهر رو بنفع خودشون تغییر دادن ! درصورتی که این قانون ها پیش فرض و تنظیم کننده ی کار علمی هستند و نمیشه از طریق علم این قانون ها رو عوض کرد .
چند تا مثال :
درجایی برای رد این حرف فلسفی که دو جوهر کاملا متفاوت نمی تونند بر هم
یک مقدمه خوب به فلسفه ذهن با ساختار و ترتیب مناسب ارائه محتوا. ترجمه کتاب هم روان و خوبه
Leo Horovitz
This is a fairly good overview of the subject, covering several different areas. A decent understanding of some main problems and approaches is obtained by reading it, but a more in-depth treatment would have been nice. As it is, it comes of as something of a "philosophy of mind for dummies". There probably is room for such a book, perhaps as an overview for people not studying the subject of philosophy who just want to know a little of what it is all about, but it strikes me as lacking as an in ...more
Katariina Kottonen
A part of obligatory reading for university, yet quite a good introduction into the area, so I wasn't half sorry I had to take this book. Fairly easy and accessible; tends to treat certain subjects without underlining the connections between them (e.g. superstoic and pain-zombie experiments are given as if entirely unconnected), so probably better seen as a introductory study of separate topics, discussed in separate chapters.

Overall, a good first step.
I understood some of the words in this book. It was kinda like that scene in The Princess Bride, when Vizzini is trying to figure out which chalice the posion was put into, "...but you must have KNOWN I was not a great-fool, you would've counted on it, so I clearly cannot choose the poison in front of me..."
Matthew Baker
Starting an OU course in the Philosophy of Mind and read this as a taster. I have relly enjoyed it - everything is as simple as possible, and no simpler. I hope the course itself is half as interesting as this book!
Very clear but some of his arguments were just weird.
Pretty good. Not as detailed as Kim.
Ben Grice
Ben Grice marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Felix is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2015
Peta marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Mohsen marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Traci Edens
Traci Edens marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Hadis marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
فاطمه marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Farouk Adil
Farouk Adil marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Zeinab marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Ali added it
Sep 24, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Sediqe zabihi
Sediqe zabihi marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Surya Dey
Surya Dey marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Mahboubeh Naghipour
Mahboubeh Naghipour marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Harley marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015