Start by marking “The Complete Plays: The Hostage / The Quare Fellow / Richard's Cork Leg / Moving Out / A Garden Party / The Big House” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This volume contains everything Brendan Behan wrote in dramatic form in English
Contains the three famous full-length plays: The Quare Fellow, set in an Irish prison ("In Brendan Behan's tremendous new play language is out on a spree, ribald, dauntless and spoiling for a fight … with superb dramatic tact, the tragedy is concealed beneath layer after layer of rough comedy" O
Published August 10th 1978 by Eyre Methuen (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Plays

John
Behan was a practitioner (though no theorist) of Epic Theater, the kind that rejects realism in order to jar the audience into critical (hence oppositional, hence revolutionary) activity, not lull it into contentment. At the London premiere of The Hostage he came onto the stage, disrupting the play, and harangued the audience on behalf of Irish unification; he refused to let the show continue until they'd collected money to buy weapons for the IRA. This caused outrage, which is Epic Theater's hi ...more
Brenda
Jul 23, 2008 Brenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vaudevillians, jokesters and Irishmen
I only read "Richard's Cork Leg."

Various shenanigans occur in an Irish cemetary then move on to an upstanding citizen's house, then back to the cemetary. Prostitutes, rebels, Republicans, Blueshirts, loose women and fast men quip about religion, politics, war, drink, sex and the peculiarities of being Irish.

Not really a play, this piece is more a cross between a farce and a vaudeville act. I found it very funny but you may have had to have just watched "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and/or "M
jordan
Sep 23, 2008 jordan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: théâtre
I saw a production of The Hostage in DC years ago (at which I had my first Guinness), which was thoroughly enjoyable (and switched out the final song for "The Auld Triangle.") Still haven't gotten around to reading the rest of the plays, though every time I notice it on my list or on my shelf, I get "Streams of Whiskey" (The Pogues) in my head for the rest of the day.
Matt DeCostanza
Meh. The most fun I had with this was looking at the lyrics of The Auld Triangle and singing them to myself.
Geoffrey
Featured in TWO Pogues songs. He also wrote "The Auld Triangle." And two great plays.
Tim
i want to re-read this, but it was so awesome.
Ella O Brien
Ella O Brien marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Ben Smylie
Ben Smylie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Johnna Sturgeon
Johnna Sturgeon marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Orla
Orla marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Tami Drohan
Tami Drohan marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Knjigoholičarka
Knjigoholičarka marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • The Doctor and the Devils
  • Selected Poems and Two Plays
  • Three Tragedies: Blood Wedding, Yerma, Bernarda Alba
  • Not About Nightingales
  • Collected Plays: Volume 1: A Dance of the Forests; The Swamp Dwellers; The Strong Breed; The Road; The Bacchae of Euripides: Vol 1 (V. 1: A Galaxy Book)
  • Kaspar and Other Plays
  • Three Plays: Exit the King / The Killer / Macbett
  • Leonce und Lena
Brendan Francis Behan (Irish: Breandán Ó Beacháin) (9 February 1923 – 20 March 1964) was an Irish poet, short story writer, novelist, and playwright who wrote in both Irish and English. He was also an Irish republican and a volunteer in the Irish Republican Army.

Behan was born in the inner city of Dublin on 9 February 1923 into an educated working class family. He lived in a house on Russell Stree
More about Brendan Behan...
Borstal Boy Confessions of an Irish Rebel The Quare Fellow The Hostage Brendan Behan's New York

“I saw a sign that said 'Drink Canada Dry'. So I did.” 7 likes