Start by marking “A Dirty Death (Den Cooper, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dirty Death (Den Cooper, #1)

A Dirty Death (Den Cooper #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When irascible farmer Guy Beardon meets a very dirty death in his own farmyard, it seems like an accident at first, despite the fact that he was widely disliked. But when his daughter Lilah slowly begins to suspect foul play, no one is eager to help her investigation. Suspicion becomes certainty when two more deaths occur, both of which are unmistakably murder...

The diffi
Published June 9th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Dirty Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dirty Death

Megan Cullen
Shonna Froebel
This English mystery is set on a farm near a small village. Guy Beardon is the victim of the very dirty death referred to in the book's title, drowning in a slurry pit. At first everyone, including the police assume it is an accident. But when another death occurs, second looks are taken.
Guy's daughter Lilah finds herself suspicious of everyone except her younger brother and the young policeman she went to school with. As she interacts with people from the village, she finds herself looking care
Kirsty Darbyshire

This is the author's first book but if I hadn't have known it then Iwouldn't have guessed it. Good characters and a solid plotline withhardly any slow moments. Another English farm that's firmly in thenineties (or could be the naughties even) with the almost universallydisliked farmer drowning in his own slurry pit. Another author on mylookout list.

Caroline Ryan
If you like Midsomer Murders then you'll like these books. A great story, several murders, lots of twists and turns and I didn't work out who dunnit! Easy reading. Great.
Elizabeth
Others have given a good synopsis of the plot so I will just say that the best part of this book is the descriptions of the family reactions to death and murder of a loved one. The inability to accept things, the difficulties of social interactions with people who are afraid to talk to you, suspicious of you or just plain uneasy in your presence.

I had a hard time accepting that people who suspected that the first death in the book was murder didn't tell the police about the person who was a stra
Lorraine
Lots going on to keep you interested. Good beach/holiday read.
Val
A rural murder/mystery set in England.
Patricia
Apr 10, 2014 Patricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Frances MacDonald
Really enjoyed this first book in the West Country series.
Brenda
I'm not usually a big fan of Britsh mysteries for some reason. This seemed to take me forever to get through but I didn't completely guess who-done-it before the end and that's always a plus.
Karen wadey
This is my first kindle read so I was pleased to say I found it very easy going but it kept me guessing who the killer was right to the end, I look forward to reading more.
Louvaine
Relatively well-written, but a bit strange in the telling. Seems a little neat at the end, all the loose ends of the mystery are tied up quickly.
Hazel Roethenbaugh
Took a bit of getting into and didn;'t 'connect' with the main charachter. I usually really enjoy Rebecca Tope and felt this was not one of her best
Kae Cheatham
Well written land/characterization. Story and characters held well.
kami
Oh, those interfering members of the clergy!

Angie Perkins
Enjoyable and certainly unusual circumstances!
Debbie Maskus
Read for Mystery Book Club 11/2003
David
A gentle read.
Amanda Chambers
Amanda Chambers marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jill Tool
Jill Tool marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Carol Orpwood
Carol Orpwood marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Apr 01, 2015
Nina Milne
Nina Milne marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rebecca Tope grew up on a farm and has held a wide variety of jobs, such as pre-natal instructor, marriage counselor, and funeral director, all of which have taught her a great deal about human nature. In 1992, she founded Praxis Books, a small British press.
More about Rebecca Tope...

Den Cooper (4 books)
  • Death of a Friend (Den Cooper, #2)
  • A Death to Record (Den Cooper, #3)
  • The Sting of Death (Drew Slocombe, #3; Den Cooper, #4)
A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1) A Cotswold Mystery (Thea Osborne, #4) A Cotswold Ordeal (Thea Osborne, #2) Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3) Blood in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #5)