Start by marking “Well-Mannered Assassin” as Want to Read:
Well-Mannered Assassin

Well-Mannered Assassin

Published May 4th 1994 by Putnam Adult (first published January 3rd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Well-Mannered Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well-Mannered Assassin

Amloid Mesa
Jan 04, 2017 Amloid Mesa added it
Shelves: abandoned
too slow so far
Susan
After three thrilling memoirs, America's glamorous secret agent gives us a novel of international intrigue and terror so rich in detail that only someone who had lived through such dangers could have imagined it. In her fourth book, Aline Romanones, American beauty, Spanish socialite, devoted mother, and spy, makes her first foray into the world of fiction. Drawing on some of her most frightening moments as an undercover agent, as well as her unique channels of information, the Countess crafts a ...more
Sheree
Jul 20, 2009 Sheree rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody
Recommended to Sheree by: A dear friend
Mary
Feb 04, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Of her four spy novels, this one is written as fiction, although it is based on facts. The character she writes about is Carlos, the Jackal, "the most feared terrorist and assassin in the world". He is also the subject of Ken Follett's famous book, and appears as the killer in The Pelican Brief by John Grisham, and is a character in The French Connection. I read this again a year or so ago, and intend to read it again, now that I'm reminded of it. All her books are permanent fixtures on my bookc ...more
Wendy
May 31, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Novel by the author of 'The Spy wore Red'. Told from the 1st person, as if these experiences happened to her (Aline). Better written than her "real-life" tales. But, some of the characters were confusing and I wasn't as satisfied with the ending. The final "episode" seemed to come from nowhere and try to tie too many things up at once.
Annette
Apr 15, 2016 Annette rated it it was amazing
Ok so amazing Terrorism insight! And the story is true and so recent! Europe, Russia ect!! Can't decide which of her 4 books I like the most. They are each Separated by about 20 years. I love them all and understanding High Society and from a spy that was friends with Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy!!!! Read them for a fun informative time!
Roberta
Jun 27, 2012 Roberta rated it liked it
The fourth of her spy books and the only one that she admits is fiction only because she says that Carlos the Jackal is still alive. So what is he going to do? Sue her for defamation of character? Anyway, it was an interesting read just like the first three whether it is true or not.
Catrina
May 04, 2016 Catrina rated it it was amazing
I love the way this novel portrayed Carlos the Jackal instead of as a murderous mastermind he is a well liked playboy. I recommend this to anyone who likes intrigue. I will read this book again it was that good.
Maki
Feb 22, 2011 Maki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, spy-books
I didn't know till 2008 about this final sequal. This book is half tru, half made-up, but still great spy book. She did meet the Carlos the Jackal in person.......
Nfreynolds
Jul 16, 2016 Nfreynolds rated it liked it
Her first work of fiction. The ending is not believable, more like a Hollywood movie sensational ending. Not nearly as good as her "Spy" series, which are based on her life.
Katie Browning
Aug 13, 2013 Katie Browning rated it it was amazing
I loved the Well-Mannered Assassin and thought it was much better than Aline's second book. It kept me on my toes and was a fun read!
Linda
Sep 08, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Very brave lady, I guess this is based on her true spying experiences! Wow.
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2009
Becky M
Becky M rated it liked it
May 21, 2009
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Rochelle
Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Mary Nickum
Mary Nickum rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2010
Bethany Godwin
Bethany Godwin rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2009
Suzi
Suzi rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2009
Donna Beggs
Donna Beggs rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Eppie
Eppie rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Sarah Martin
Sarah Martin rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2017
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Derrill Farley
Derrill Farley rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Jessica Wedel
Jessica Wedel rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
  • Novel Interiors: Living in Enchanted Rooms Inspired by Literature
  • The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 2
  • New Garden Book
  • The Red Dancer: The Life and Times of Mata Hari
  • Where Does the Garbage Go?
  • Elleander Morning
  • The Kidnapping of Aaron Green
  • The House of All Sorts
  • Tangled Webs (Men of Valor #3)
  • Dog
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 2: 2000-2004 (Hardcover)
  • Aztec, Inca, and Maya
  • One Hot Country Summer (Barleybridge #5)
Doña María Aline Griffith Dexter, Countess of Romanones, Grandee of Spain (born Pearl River, NY, 1923) is an American married to a Spanish aristocrat, socialite, writer and spy. She married the Count of Quintanilla in 1947 and they later became the Count and Countess of Romanones.

Aline was born in 1923 in New York, was working as a model when she was recruited to become an OSS agent in Spain wher
More about Aline, Countess of Romanones...