Extravagance

Extravagance

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  435 ratings  ·  12 reviews
William Tobias Merrick, an energetic young man from the provinces, travels to the big city in a time of great optimism and ferment, hoping to make his mark on a frenzied, money-crazed society obsessed with the promise of new technologies.

The city in question is London in the 1690s; but it is also New York in the 1990s. The new technologies are diving bells, pneumatic winc...more
Published September 24th 2002 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Extravagance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extravagance

Chambodia
Yes, the premise was clever. The book itself is incredibly dull. It's like having your prospectus read to you by a guy in a wig and cravat.
Ashley
Gary Krist's Extravagance: A Novel had potential. A clever concept drew me to the novel initially, but this conceit alone was not enough to hold my attention.

Extravagance tells the story of William Merrick through two time periods and two countries, London at the beginning of the stock market and New Economy and New York City near the end of the 90s tech bubble. Will wants to make his fortune playing the stocks and takes incredibly risks to do so. Will's lust for money in both eras is put into...more
Greymalkin
Winnielou
Un bon roman d'initiation. Le génie de l'auteur est de l'avoir situé à deux périodes en même temps, Londres à la fin du 17ème siècle et New York en 1999. J'avoue que j'ai été sacrément bluffée car les transitions entre les deux périodes sont absolument parfaites. Le narrateur utilise la langue de chaque époque (l'anglais du 17ème n'étant pas très aisé à comprendre), ce qui ajoute un intérêt linguistique en plus de l'intérêt historique. Au-delà les personnages sont un peu bâteaux et l'intrigue es...more
Rhea
Why are there so many books like this? (And by this, I mean books that unfold paralleley in two different time periods with a common theme.) I mean, there's Revolution and Radiant Days and some more I can't remember. Hmm...
Michele
Aug 24, 2008 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michele by: Time travelers
I loved the premise: The story is told as one character and the similarities and differences of his life as lived in the sixteen century and modern times in an alternating pattern. Though the topic of finance itself was a bit droll for me, I found the book charming and clever.
Heather Childree
This is quite a different book. I like how Krist used the same characters in two different times and locations to tell one story. I was confused at first, but I quickly caught on to the shifting times and locations. Amazing concept.
Ruby
not a very good book -- the premise is clever but the execution is not that nice. it's boring, the characters are bland and are extremely annoying as well.
Jeanne

I didn't finish this book. I enjoyed the old England part much more than the modern part, which required more interest in finance than I have.
Jeff
A little hard to get into this book, but well-worth a read! It is a very clever premise!
Joan Karter
Ashley said it all. I had to stop reading it.
Sara
Not bad, an easy read.
Zarah Kulczycki
Zarah Kulczycki marked it as to-read
Carolina Rojo
Carolina Rojo marked it as to-read
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Maaz Bhutto
Maaz Bhutto marked it as to-read
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Emily Wilkinson
Emily Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Alex Logan
Alex Logan marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Sam Canesi
Sam Canesi marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Brooke Overman
Brooke Overman marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Quattrocento
  • A Quiet Storm
  • Novels 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born (Library of America #126)
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
  • Rescuing Patty Hearst: Growing Up Sane in a Decade Gone Mad
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • The Holy Barbarians
City of Scoundrels: The 12 Days of Disaster That Gave Birth to Modern Chicago The White Cascade: The Great Northern Railway Disaster and America's Deadliest Avalanche Bad Chemistry Empire of Sin: A Story of Sex, Jazz, Murder, and the Battle for Modern New Orleans Chaos Theory