Start by marking “Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power” as Want to Read:
Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power

Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  25 reviews
AN EMPOWERING, NO-NONSENSE GUIDE TO LIVING THE MISS J WAY—FULLY AND FABULOUSLY!

HOW does a six-foot-four, Bronx-born black gay male become Queen of the Catwalk? In one word: attitude. Beloved by millions of fans for his outrageous wit and irrepressible flair, J. Alexander has primed hundreds of wannabe models on America’s Next Top Model and coached such
Published November 10th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Model

Juliette
I will publicly admit that I enjoy watching America's Next Top Model (ANTM), and get a total kick out of former ANTM judge J. Alexander, aka "Miss J". I found this PG rated memoir at my public library. Did you know Miss J used to live in a tiny apartment in Paris where one could "sit down, got to the bathroom, make a cup of tea, open the refrigerator, and take a shower all at once"? Neither did I! Picturing this 6'4" former model in this scenario creates quite a visual. Also, he has a lovely mes ...more
Phyllis
For some reason I read this even though I have never watched a single episode of AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL. This book never quite makes up its mind what it wants to be. It's an autobiography, but it's also a self help book, and parts of it seem like they're written for gay teenagers and yet other parts seem like they're written for grown women. It taught me that you should keep rolled up newspapers in your boots to help them keep their shape, you can build an jet-setting international fashion car ...more
Kim
I enjoyed this book, but it definitely could have been much better written. I don't think it ever made up its mind what it was going to be, or decided what genre it fit into. I originally thought it was going to be more of a how-to guide for aspiring models, and then it turned into more of a memoir. Which is fine-he has had an interesting life-but I feel like it was very unorganized, and flitted from personal stories about his childhood to talking about the modeling industry to talking about Top ...more
Serenity
HEEE-LARIOUS!!

J. Alexander has a knack for making you laugh and learn at the same time. I read this book in about 2 hours and was mesmerized by his background and how he was able to break into the modeling industry. Despite the frustrations that he had dealing with racism in the fashion world, it definitely made him a stronger person.

This is a great read for a young reader and an adult. I was curious to read the book because I always crack a smile when I see Miss J on America's Top Model.

Meg Marie
If you have two hours to spare, this book is a great read from a fabulous, unconvential role model. J. Alexander (Miss J to ANTM fans) talks about his childhood in the South Bronx, his evolution into a club kid and 6'6" cross dressing model to runway coach and America's Next Top Model judge. Along the way, he imparts beauty tips, self-esteem boosters, and advice on how to become the person you want to be. Loved it.
Suz
I can see that Miss J went through a lot to get to where he is. I respect and admire that. But the writing wasn't that great and the advice felt a bit condescending. I think I can chalk that up to not being the target reader for this book. I might have liked it a bit more if I were younger and still struggling to find my place in a world that didn't look like me.
Abby
Jun 25, 2012 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: ANTM (yes, I know)
A fun autobiography of a gay black man into fashion and models growing up in the 70's New York up until now as he is part of the fashion elite. Though this had little bits of "advice" sprinkled throughout, it really was the story of the struggle and prejudice he li.ed through with tenacity and grace,
Nicola
Love, love, love it! It was like Miss J. himself sat beside me, telling me the story himself. A must-read for any fashionista!
G
Would be easy to say this was just a silly, light-weight read, but there are plenty of things (advice?) in here to chew on. To be honest, glad I read it. Couple/three hours well spent. I think what I enjoyed about this most was Alexander's voice -- very calm and measured throughout -- a nice calm-down book.
Teddie
This book is funny in parts and contains lots of tips. You do not get a whole lot of information about Miss J. But lots of beauty, modeling, and self esteem tips. And if you are looking for lots of info about ANTM don't buy this book very little about the show. I would recommend this book to teenagers or people wanting a career as a model.
Aaron
I love Miss J, so I came into this a little biased. Lots of fun tips and tricks from someone who is not just successful, but trumpets the same ideas of unique fashion as I do. Super cool. Terrible layout, though! Dozens of sentences interrupted on a page-turn to a three page insert on how to pronounce designer names? NO THANKS.
Crystal Chm
I really enjoyed reading this book which is why it's getting a 5/5 from me (plus I'm a big fan of ANTM!). I expected a bunch of fluff from the book about ANTM, but it contained some good advice and the show was only mentioned a short bit. What stood out is his message of accepting who you are and having self confidence.
Aspasia
Apr 26, 2010 Aspasia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANTM fans
Shelves: non-fiction
Miss J of America's Next Top Model fame talks about his family and career in the modeling industry. Each chapter has a quick beauty tip in fine print, while Miss J gives advice on how to handle oneself in life.
Aaron
I'm a biased Miss J fan, but his voice was very entertaining. The layout was a huge pain in the ass, with sentences constantly interrupted by 2-3 page random bits about pronouncing designer names right and stuff.
Cvedder
I was really hoping this book would be funny but it wasn't really. I was surprised to find it in the self help section but turns out it was pretty fitting. Not bad but not at all what I was expecting.
Ny'ilah
I thought it was funny and a good easy read. If you love ANTM and Miss. J then you will love that he is talking to you about his first love, FASHION! I even learned a few tricks too.
Sherri
This is just a great memior. He is very honest and open. This is not a book about Top Model. This is a book about himself, his past, and how is got where he is today.
Leenda dela Luna
Not great. Not bad. Not remotely bitchy (which surprised me). Written toward a younger, "finding yourself", audience but enjoyable enough to pass time.
Emily Morrison
This is my life book. All these life lessons with lots of laughs made this my favorite book of all time!
Alesia
Fun read, with a surprising amount of good advice for, not only fashion, but everyday life as well.
Karlin
a peice of fluff, but surprisingly delightful. Ms Jay is 4 real and offers good advice on life
ReadingWench
Short, sweet and to the point. Just what I expected of Miss J.
Caryn Thomas
Fun, quick read. Good common sense advice with funny stories.
Jennie
Fast Read, although it was little boring.
Anita
A fun, quick and entertaining read. Work it!
Sandy
Sandy added it
Nov 26, 2014
Jas
Jas marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Teenie
  • Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl
  • Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal
  • Aya: Love in Yop City (Aya #4-6)
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • Alek: From Sudanese Refugee to International Supermodel
  • Bad Boy
  • Roots of Style: Weaving Together Life, Love, and Fashion
  • The Fun House
  • You Don't Even Know Me: Stories and Poems About Boys
  • Messed Up
  • What's Up Down There?: Questions You'd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend
  • Thing of Beauty
  • Lettin it All Hang Out: An Autobiography
  • Kinda Like Brothers
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady
  • When I Was the Greatest
Raisin' Hell Terror in Homicide Hartford The Midwife's Daughter Terror by Design TSA Employee Training