Start by marking “Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power” as Want to Read:
Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power

Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power

AN EMPOWERING, NO-NONSENSE GUIDE TO LIVING THE MISS J WAY—FULLY AND FABULOUSLY!

HOW does a six-foot-four, Bronx-born black gay male become Queen of the Catwalk? In one word: attitude. Beloved by millions of fans for his outrageous wit and irrepressible flair, J. Alexander has primed hundreds of wannabe models on America’s Next Top Model and coached such supermodels as Tyra
Published November 10th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Model

Juliette
Jul 01, 2010 Juliette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
I will publicly admit that I enjoy watching America's Next Top Model (ANTM), and get a total kick out of former ANTM judge J. Alexander, aka "Miss J". I found this PG rated memoir at my public library. Did you know Miss J used to live in a tiny apartment in Paris where one could "sit down, got to the bathroom, make a cup of tea, open the refrigerator, and take a shower all at once"? Neither did I! Picturing this 6'4" former model in this scenario creates quite a visual. Also, he has a lovely mes ...more
Phyllis
For some reason I read this even though I have never watched a single episode of AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL. This book never quite makes up its mind what it wants to be. It's an autobiography, but it's also a self help book, and parts of it seem like they're written for gay teenagers and yet other parts seem like they're written for grown women. It taught me that you should keep rolled up newspapers in your boots to help them keep their shape, you can build an jet-setting international fashion car ...more
Anna Moseley
Aug 31, 2015 Anna Moseley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so for some reason I thought this was more of memoir than a guide to life. Like I get that even in the title it says the word guide but again, you know how it goes.

So this book was not what I was expecting. But I am so glad that it's what it is. This book is filled with practical advice for everything. It's funny, it's heart breaking in parts, and incredibly eye opening. What I love most about this book is how conversational and invitational. None of the advice ever felt forced, which is the
Kim
Jan 05, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modeling
I enjoyed this book, but it definitely could have been much better written. I don't think it ever made up its mind what it was going to be, or decided what genre it fit into. I originally thought it was going to be more of a how-to guide for aspiring models, and then it turned into more of a memoir. Which is fine-he has had an interesting life-but I feel like it was very unorganized, and flitted from personal stories about his childhood to talking about the modeling industry to talking about Top ...more
Serenity
Mar 15, 2014 Serenity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HEEE-LARIOUS!!

J. Alexander has a knack for making you laugh and learn at the same time. I read this book in about 2 hours and was mesmerized by his background and how he was able to break into the modeling industry. Despite the frustrations that he had dealing with racism in the fashion world, it definitely made him a stronger person.

This is a great read for a young reader and an adult. I was curious to read the book because I always crack a smile when I see Miss J on America's Top Model.

Carlos
May 31, 2016 Carlos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Follow the Model" is an interesting, "quick read", mainly aimed at a young-adult audience. The book is a bit incoherent, jumping from topics that range from: beauty tips, non-chronological life events, health and stress management tips, all mixed in with a dash of "Miss Jay's" personal humor that we all know and love. If you have two hours to take a step into the life of a personable and admirable fashion icon, I recommend this book.
Meg Marie
Mar 30, 2010 Meg Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have two hours to spare, this book is a great read from a fabulous, unconvential role model. J. Alexander (Miss J to ANTM fans) talks about his childhood in the South Bronx, his evolution into a club kid and 6'6" cross dressing model to runway coach and America's Next Top Model judge. Along the way, he imparts beauty tips, self-esteem boosters, and advice on how to become the person you want to be. Loved it.
Abby
Jun 22, 2012 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: ANTM (yes, I know)
A fun autobiography of a gay black man into fashion and models growing up in the 70's New York up until now as he is part of the fashion elite. Though this had little bits of "advice" sprinkled throughout, it really was the story of the struggle and prejudice he li.ed through with tenacity and grace,
Suz
May 03, 2011 Suz rated it it was ok
I can see that Miss J went through a lot to get to where he is. I respect and admire that. But the writing wasn't that great and the advice felt a bit condescending. I think I can chalk that up to not being the target reader for this book. I might have liked it a bit more if I were younger and still struggling to find my place in a world that didn't look like me.
Rain
Jan 10, 2017 Rain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sort of found this poorly written. Or something about it failed to really captivate my attention. I found myself skimming through the second half to get through it. I really like J. Alexander though, I think his story is pretty interesting and inspiring for all different kinds of people. It was interesting to see a whole other side to J. that I didn't know existed. He's much more real and relatable than TV portrayed him to be. It was interesting to learn some things about ANTM that I NEVER kne ...more
Kelly
Jul 18, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Strong as His Walk

This book is amazing. I read it all in one go, laughing and nodding as I went. J Alexander is, not surprisingly, strong, straightforward, and a seemingly wonderful individual. Individual being the key word. He has lived his life the way he wanted from day one. His story is inspiring, his advice is common sense and real. He is also funny as heck.

I highlighted several sections of his words of wisdom that I know I'll refer back to. You read it and wonder how you didn't already
Aaron
Jul 02, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
I love Miss J, so I came into this a little biased. Lots of fun tips and tricks from someone who is not just successful, but trumpets the same ideas of unique fashion as I do. Super cool. Terrible layout, though! Dozens of sentences interrupted on a page-turn to a three page insert on how to pronounce designer names? NO THANKS.
Teddie
Jan 02, 2011 Teddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is funny in parts and contains lots of tips. You do not get a whole lot of information about Miss J. But lots of beauty, modeling, and self esteem tips. And if you are looking for lots of info about ANTM don't buy this book very little about the show. I would recommend this book to teenagers or people wanting a career as a model.
V
Dec 27, 2013 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would be easy to say this was just a silly, light-weight read, but there are plenty of things (advice?) in here to chew on. To be honest, glad I read it. Couple/three hours well spent. I think what I enjoyed about this most was Alexander's voice -- very calm and measured throughout -- a nice calm-down book.
Crystal Chm
I really enjoyed reading this book which is why it's getting a 5/5 from me (plus I'm a big fan of ANTM!). I expected a bunch of fluff from the book about ANTM, but it contained some good advice and the show was only mentioned a short bit. What stood out is his message of accepting who you are and having self confidence.
Aaron
Nov 19, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a biased Miss J fan, but his voice was very entertaining. The layout was a huge pain in the ass, with sentences constantly interrupted by 2-3 page random bits about pronouncing designer names right and stuff.
Cvedder
Mar 05, 2010 Cvedder rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really hoping this book would be funny but it wasn't really. I was surprised to find it in the self help section but turns out it was pretty fitting. Not bad but not at all what I was expecting.
Aspasia
Apr 26, 2010 Aspasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANTM fans
Shelves: non-fiction
Miss J of America's Next Top Model fame talks about his family and career in the modeling industry. Each chapter has a quick beauty tip in fine print, while Miss J gives advice on how to handle oneself in life.
Nicola Munkholt
Mar 12, 2014 Nicola Munkholt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love it! It was like Miss J. himself sat beside me, telling me the story himself. A must-read for any fashionista!
Leenda dela Luna
Not great. Not bad. Not remotely bitchy (which surprised me). Written toward a younger, "finding yourself", audience but enjoyable enough to pass time.
Sherri
Dec 16, 2010 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memior
This is just a great memior. He is very honest and open. This is not a book about Top Model. This is a book about himself, his past, and how is got where he is today.
Ny'ilah
Dec 23, 2009 Ny'ilah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was funny and a good easy read. If you love ANTM and Miss. J then you will love that he is talking to you about his first love, FASHION! I even learned a few tricks too.
Ade Garcia
Ade Garcia rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Caryn Thomas
Mar 05, 2010 Caryn Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Fun, quick read. Good common sense advice with funny stories.
Heidi Pimentel
Heidi Pimentel rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2012
martha
martha rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2009
Dana Giusti
Dana Giusti rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Joseph
  • Teenie
  • Revenge of a Not-So-Pretty Girl
  • One of Us (Urban Underground #5)
  • Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal
  • Roots of Style: Weaving Together Life, Love, and Fashion
  • Aya: Love in Yop City (Aya #4-6)
  • The Fun House
  • Messed Up
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Steaming to Bamboola - The World of a Tramp Freighter
  • Bushman Lives!
  • What's Up Down There?: Questions You'd Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend
  • Lettin it All Hang Out: An Autobiography