Start by marking “Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share” as Want to Read:
Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share

Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The ultimate DIY project guide for techie dads raising kids in their own geeky image, in the spirit of The Dangerous Book for Boys

Today's generation of dads grew up more tech-savvy than ever. Rather than joining the Little League team, many grew up playing computer games, Dungeons and Dragons, and watching Star Wars. Now with kids of their own, these digital-age dads are
Published May 4th 2010 by Gotham (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Geek Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geek Dad

Jeffrey
Ken Denmead is a crafty guy but, much like the geek stereotype, his talents don't really include writing.

The book, after an introduction that tries too hard to validate the "Geek Dad" concept, contains a number of activites and/or experiments for parent & child to work on together. They vary from simple glue/sticky tape to serious electrical/computer programming level activities.

The instructions are mostly accessible but Denmead enables that accessiblity by eliding details, providing citati
Ryan

It should be renamed "Lego presents Geek Dad." almost every single project involves Legos. This shows lack of creativity. There are so many other materials that can be used.

I also didn't like the nature of the projects. They're too simple. I'm all about simplicity, but when I read two or three in this book thati could have come up with on my own: I don't have too much respect. I looked to this book for ideas, not for things I could have thought of on my own. I also didn't like the chapter that
Nancy
This book would be great to try some of the projects with your own kids in a one-on-one setting, but not so great for a librarian looking for programming ideas to do with a roomful of teens. Most of the projects just sound too geeky, too involved, or require large items or need to be done outside. They're great projects. But just a little too much for me for right now.
Peter Jones
My kids are too young for most of these... And I don't have most of the supplies for the ones that would otherwise interest me. But interesting to skim thru for free (from the library)
Derek Brown
Great ideas, but there aren't a lot of easy to do items in here.
Sandie Lee
Geek Dad? So Much Fun!

Is your dad or hubby into projects? Would he be considered a Geek? If you answered yes to these questions (or even if you didn't) I have the perfect Father's Day gift.

Geek Dad by Ken Denmead (a self-proclaimed Geek) is filled with 30 original, fun and fascinating projects Dads (and moms) can do with their kids. I was totally in awe of these cool ideas and found myself wishing my dad was still with us so we could try them out. I especially like the 'Light-up Duct Tape Wallet
Karen
Apr 20, 2011 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I bought this for my husband for Christmas, along with Handy Dad and he picked out some projects to do with my son right away. He definitly falls into the "Geek Dad" category - he loves to take things apart and attempts to "refurbish" way too many things around the house. This book focuses that energy! I've already pre-ordered the next Geek Dad book for Father's Day.
Erik Dewey
This is a decent book, but I guess I was looking for more interesting projects. It might be that I've done things like make my own boardgame with the kids so most of the projects didn't inspire me greatly, although the slip and slide has definite potential.

Personally, I'd have liked to see a wider variety of projects, maybe with a little science thrown in there to amaze the kids.
Andrew (Ace)
Disappointing.
The easy ideas are so old that everyone must have tried them before, while the rest are very strange or way too ambitious.
And let's not even talk about spending 15 pages explaining, in detail, a complex system to use Dungeons & Dragons concepts for a home reward scheme.

Who could this book conceivably be correctly targeted at???
Mark
All it took was reading the weak chapter on "building a board game with your kids" to turn me completely off to this book. The template was an insipid roll'n'move design that was, just from reading the rules, guaranteed to drag on much too long. My 6 year old comes up with better game ideas.
Chet
Interesting, but I did not rush out and start doing any of the projects with my grand kids. These projects generally take some planning (and buying of supplies). I will use it as a reference, such as planning an activity for the next holiday.
Missy Kirtley
My mother bought this for my husband for Christmas, and I think I got more out of it than he did! We're definitely planning on using some of these amazing activities with Alice when she's old enough to enjoy them.
Samantha
Ready to get our geek on. So many fun projects.
TJ Anderson
pretty good. But you could probably just check out the blog and come up with a few of your own and be just as well off.
Jeff
Aug 20, 2014 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A great group of fun geeky project ideas, that I can't wait to start (trying to) replicate with my boys!
Bryan
Some hit-or-miss ideas in here, but at least half a dozen really solid ones.
Matt Comstock
Heh heh heh. Some good ideas here.
D M
more like creepy social outcast dad
Aaron
Kind of lame?
John
John is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Jonathan Jeckell
Jonathan Jeckell marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
JD Wallace
JD Wallace is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Larry Fine
Larry Fine marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Sneakiest Uses for Everyday Things
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Sandra Dodd's Big Book of Unschooling
  • Lost Crafts
  • 365 Manners Kids Should Know: Games, Activities, and Other Fun Ways to Help Children Learn Etiquette
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
Ken spent most of his life as an ordinary geek, playing D&D, video games, watching and reading geeky movies and books. He was GuideBAT on AOL when it was cool (for geeks), and ran a play-by-email Star Trek RPG called Starbase Phoenix. He also succeeded in marrying the love of his life, and having two great kids.

Then, one day, everything changed.

He answered an open call for new writers for the

More about Ken Denmead...
The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family The Geek Dad Book for Aspiring Mad Scientists: The Coolest Experiments and Projects for Science Fairs and Family Fun