Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share

Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The ultimate DIY project guide for techie dads raising kids in their own geeky image, in the spirit of The Dangerous Book for Boys

Today's generation of dads grew up more tech-savvy than ever. Rather than joining the Little League team, many grew up playing computer games, Dungeons and Dragons, and watching Star Wars. Now with kids of their own, these digital-age dads are...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Gotham (first published 2010)

Jeffrey
Ken Denmead is a crafty guy but, much like the geek stereotype, his talents don't really include writing.

The book, after an introduction that tries too hard to validate the "Geek Dad" concept, contains a number of activites and/or experiments for parent & child to work on together. They vary from simple glue/sticky tape to serious electrical/computer programming level activities.

The instructions are mostly accessible but Denmead enables that accessiblity by eliding details, providing citati...more
Ryan

It should be renamed "Lego presents Geek Dad." almost every single project involves Legos. This shows lack of creativity. There are so many other materials that can be used.

I also didn't like the nature of the projects. They're too simple. I'm all about simplicity, but when I read two or three in this book thati could have come up with on my own: I don't have too much respect. I looked to this book for ideas, not for things I could have thought of on my own. I also didn't like the chapter that...more
Derek Brown
Great ideas, but there aren't a lot of easy to do items in here.
Sandie Lee
Geek Dad? So Much Fun!

Is your dad or hubby into projects? Would he be considered a Geek? If you answered yes to these questions (or even if you didn't) I have the perfect Father's Day gift.

Geek Dad by Ken Denmead (a self-proclaimed Geek) is filled with 30 original, fun and fascinating projects Dads (and moms) can do with their kids. I was totally in awe of these cool ideas and found myself wishing my dad was still with us so we could try them out. I especially like the 'Light-up Duct Tape Wallet...more
Karen
Apr 20, 2011 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I bought this for my husband for Christmas, along with Handy Dad and he picked out some projects to do with my son right away. He definitly falls into the "Geek Dad" category - he loves to take things apart and attempts to "refurbish" way too many things around the house. This book focuses that energy! I've already pre-ordered the next Geek Dad book for Father's Day.
Erik Dewey
This is a decent book, but I guess I was looking for more interesting projects. It might be that I've done things like make my own boardgame with the kids so most of the projects didn't inspire me greatly, although the slip and slide has definite potential.

Personally, I'd have liked to see a wider variety of projects, maybe with a little science thrown in there to amaze the kids.
Andrew (Ace)
Disappointing.
The easy ideas are so old that everyone must have tried them before, while the rest are very strange or way too ambitious.
And let's not even talk about spending 15 pages explaining, in detail, a complex system to use Dungeons & Dragons concepts for a home reward scheme.

Who could this book conceivably be correctly targeted at???
Mark
All it took was reading the weak chapter on "building a board game with your kids" to turn me completely off to this book. The template was an insipid roll'n'move design that was, just from reading the rules, guaranteed to drag on much too long. My 6 year old comes up with better game ideas.
Chet
Interesting, but I did not rush out and start doing any of the projects with my grand kids. These projects generally take some planning (and buying of supplies). I will use it as a reference, such as planning an activity for the next holiday.
Missy Kirtley
My mother bought this for my husband for Christmas, and I think I got more out of it than he did! We're definitely planning on using some of these amazing activities with Alice when she's old enough to enjoy them.
Samantha
Ready to get our geek on. So many fun projects.
TJ Anderson
pretty good. But you could probably just check out the blog and come up with a few of your own and be just as well off.
Bryan
Some hit-or-miss ideas in here, but at least half a dozen really solid ones.
Matt Comstock
Heh heh heh. Some good ideas here.
D M
more like creepy social outcast dad
Aaron
Kind of lame?
Brianne
Brianne marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
 Merlin Sandhill ∞
Merlin Sandhill ∞ marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Christopher Ericksen
Christopher Ericksen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ben Smith
Ben Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • Unplugged Play: No Batteries. No Plugs. Pure Fun.
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • The Geek Atlas
  • Lost Crafts
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • Hacking Your Education: Escape Lectures, Save Thousands, and Hustle Your Way to a Brighter Future
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
Ken spent most of his life as an ordinary geek, playing D&D, video games, watching and reading geeky movies and books. He was GuideBAT on AOL when it was cool (for geeks), and ran a play-by-email Star Trek RPG called Starbase Phoenix. He also succeeded in marrying the love of his life, and having two great kids.

Then, one day, everything changed.

He answered an open call for new writers for the

More about Ken Denmead...
The Geek Dad's Guide to Weekend Fun: Cool Hacks, Cutting-Edge Games, and More Awesome Projects for the Whole Family The Geek Dad Book for Aspiring Mad Scientists: The Coolest Experiments and Projects for Science Fairs and Family Fun