Start by marking “The Dying Earth” as Want to Read:
The Dying Earth

The Dying Earth (The Dying Earth #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  5,722 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
The stories included in The Dying Earth introduce dozens of seekers of wisdom and beauty, lovely lost women, wizards of every shade of eccentricity with their runic amulets and spells. We meet the melancholy deodands, who feed on human flesh and the twk-men, who ride dragonflies and trade information for salt. There are monsters and demons. Each being is morally ambiguous: ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 15th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Dying Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dying Earth

Bill  Kerwin
I did not like this book much the first time I read it, but after reading it a second time while visualizing its characters as puppets, I found I liked it much more.

This book—particularly the first three stories—irritated me. I found its wizards to be contemptible creatures, morally inferior products of a degenerate age, capable only of memorizing a few detailed spells and casting them by rote (“Vancian Magic,” which later became a key element of “Dungeons and Dragons”). I was also appalled by t
Algernon
Jun 07, 2013 Algernon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

I lived beside the ocean — in a white villa among poplar trees. Across Tenebrosa Bay the Cape of Sad Remembrance reached into the ocean, and when sunset made the sky red and the mountains black, the cape seemed to sleep on the water like one of the ancient earth-gods ... All my life I spent here, and was as content as one may be while dying Earth spins out its last few courses.

cover

Two bright stars on the science-fiction / fantasy firmament have gone to sleep: Jack Vance and Iain M. Banks. I know o
Forrest
Aug 08, 2013 Forrest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's do some quick math. Jack Vance's The Dying Earth was originally published in 1950. I was born in 1969. I first started playing Dungeons and Dragons, in earnest, in 1979. It is now 2014. On second thought, screw the math. You can plainly see that my reading of The Dying Earth is tardy, given that Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson cited Vance's work as influences on the development of the Dungeons and Dragons game.

And how.

More than an influencer, The Dying Earth is a wholesale supplier of D&D
Nataliya
There is some strange depressing morbid fascination in imagining the world - our Earth - an uncountable number of millennia in the future as an unrecognizably changed tired, dying ancient world orbiting the tired, dying ancient red Sun. It's the world in its last breaths, with the knowledge that eventually the life will stop with the Sun.
"Soon, when the sun goes out, men will stare into the eternal night, and all will die, and Earth will bear its history, its ruins, the mountains worn to knoll
J.G. Keely
Strange to think that this was the series that inspired Martin and Wolfe in their fantasy endeavors. Going from their gritty, mirthless rehashes of standard fantasy badassery to Vance's wild, ironic, flowery style was jarring--going directly from Anderson's grim, tragic Broken Sword to this was tonal whiplash.

At first I didn't know what to make of it: the lurid, purple prose, the silly characters, the story which jumped from idea to idea with abandon. I mistook it at once for the unbridled pulp
Brad
Mar 26, 2013 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
1950, a time of transition from swashbuckling square-jawed heroes with huge brains and spaceships falling headlong into a deep future world where everyone is surrounded by death, old tech indistinguishable from magic, and to make things worse, the sun is dying. This is the last hurrah of Earth and it seems that everyone is trying to make the most out of it, grognak the barbarian style.

What? Isn't this SF? Sure! But it's still pretty much entirely classic Sword and Sorcery. We've got curses and t
Lyn
Oct 05, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Vance’s genre defining, fundamentally influential 1950 fantasy novel about swords, sorcery and ancient technology while the red glow of a dying sun spins over a far future earth is a SF/F gem.

A collection of related short stories, Vance’s mastery of the language and his ability to weave a tale has never been better. Imaginative and uniquely original, Vance sets the table for decades of speculative writers since.

The heart of this work is Vance’s characterization. Introducing characters like
Markus
Jan 31, 2016 Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Earth,” mused Pandelume. “A dim place, ancient beyond knowledge. Once it was a tall world of cloudy mountains and bright rivers, and the sun was a white blazing ball. Ages of rain and wind have beaten and rounded the granite, and the sun is feeble and red. The continents have sunk and risen. A million cities have lifted towers, have fallen to dust. In place of the old peoples a few thousand strange souls live. There is evil on Earth, evil distilled by time…Earth is dying and in its twilight…”
seak
Apr 19, 2012 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2012
I've known for quite a while that George RR Martin thinks highly of Jack Vance and The Dying Earth and last year I had the opportunity to read his anthology, Songs of the Dying Earth, where a number of authors wrote short stories set in The Dying Earth.

I loved it. It remains, and easily so, the best anthology I've ever read. And that only meant one thing, I had to read the original tales.

I'm also very glad I read the anthology, even though one of the stories in The Dying Earth was spoiled a bit
Shelly
Dec 27, 2011 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was AMAZING. I fell in love with Jack Vance reading this novel and I can not for the life of me understand why I never read any Jack Vance before. I blame myself and the entire world for this oversight and I intend to correct the problem immediately. What an amazing combination of condensed writing and huge amounts of story. I can't believe this is only 156 pages long and yet Vance left no stone unturned as far as telling a complete story. I am off to read more Vance.
Stuart
There isn’t any other book is SF/Fantasy quite like Jack Vance’s The Dying Earth, published as a cheap 25 cent paperback back in 1950 by Hillman Publications. I wish it had been picked up by Ballantine Books and published along with some other early classics of the early 1950s like The Space Merchants, Childhood’s End, More Than Human, Fahrenheit 451, Bring the Jubilee, etc.

Despite this, the book has had an enormous influence on writers ranging from Gene Wolfe and George R.R. Martin to Gary Gyg
Stephen
6.0 stars. One of my "All Time Favorite" novels. Jack Vance is one of the "undisputed" masters of the golden age of science ficiton and this may be his greatest work (though I have not yet read them all). The world Vance creates in this collection of linked stories is as good as it gets and the characters who inhabit it are all fun and original. I was absolutely blown away by it.

HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!

Nominee: Hugo (Retro) Award for Best Science Fiction Novel.
Kat  Hooper
Aug 13, 2010 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Dying Earth is the first of Jack Vance’s Tales of the Dying Earth and contains six somewhat overlapping stories all set in the future when the sun is red and dim, much technology has been lost, and most of humanity has died out. Our planet is so unrecognizable that it might as well be another world, and evil has been "distilled" so that it's concentrated in Earth's remaining inhabitants.

But it's easy to forget that a failing planet is the setting for t
Will M.
So this consists of 6 Sci-Fi short stories, and they are interconnected in some way. After reading this, all I can conclude is that I'm not fond of anthologies. Some stories are good, but some are also bad, and that makes the over-all rating low.

I liked the first 2 stories of The Dying Earth. Both were very interesting and I read them very quickly. The third one, started to falter off. The 4th and 5th were mildly interesting, but the last one was completely unbearable. The plot of the last one
Steve
Jul 11, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Aerin
First off, I strongly recommend Aerin's review, since it's her review that lead me to the book. For me, briefly, I pretty much knew, within about 50 pages or so, that Dying Earth was special. You can read oceans of speculative fiction, enjoying a great deal of it, but it's only on occasion that you run across something that strikes you as Original, that exists beyond the time in which it was written. (I would probably liken this reading experience (espicially so with Vance's use of "high languag ...more
Ben Babcock
I had never heard of Jack Vance until Subterranean Press announced it would be publishing a tribute anthology containing stories from some of my favourite authors. Apparently Vance is a master fantasist, on par with Tolkien, and his Dying Earth series inspired all of those authors, and many more, in the latter half of the twentieth century. So I ordered the massive volume from Subterranean Press, and then I set about finding a copy of the original book that started it all. Since then, Vance has ...more
Petertpc
Dec 22, 2011 Petertpc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Unbelievable. I read Jack Vance's '"The Star King" and thought I had hit gold. Now I read this and find it even better. This novel is so much fun, I can't stand it. Terrific writing and as imaginative as I think it is possible to get. My only complaint is that it was so short that I was left wanting much more. Completely amazing.
Apatt
Sep 14, 2011 Apatt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh, what on earth?

I went into the book expecting to like it, and it is nice and short, but after a good start it just went downhill for me. The first couple of stories about a wizard and two identical girls created by magic are great, but the subsequent stories just bored me. The prose is nice and elegant but sometime the extreme eloquence just leave me floundering. Also, in this cynical day and age the Abracadabra! (not to be confused with the more lethal Avada Kedavra) kind of unsystematic ma
S.E. Lindberg
Vance's Prismatic Charm of Beautiful, Untiring Adventure

Review Summary: The Dying Earth, is beautiful, pulpy adventure. It is a series of six connected short tales (chapters), each being a mix of (Sword & Sorcery) and (Sword and Planet)...so consider it (Sword & Sorcery & Planet). And, it is an important classic, first published in 1950; Jack Vance's codification of magic items & spells proved influential in RPG-game design.

Dying Earth Series: Tales of the Dying Earth: The Dying
Kat  Hooper
Mar 22, 2010 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

But it's easy to forget that a failing planet is the setting for t
David
This collection of short stories set in Vance's Dying Earth is old school fantasy and may suffer from the phenomenon of seeming to be derivative by virtue of being the thing that everyone else has been imitating. It's swords and sorcery mixed with hints of lost technology in a far future age when Earth's sun is going out and magic has replaced science, or perhaps they have simply merged to become the same thing. The red sun, the lands and peoples whose names bear no resemblance to that of our wo ...more
Javir11
Jan 21, 2017 Javir11 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo ideal hubieran sido 3.5 estrellas, pero al final le pongo 4 porque me ha dejado buen regustillo.

Antes de leerlo deberíais saber que no es una novela como tal, sino seis historias o cuentos en los que se entrelazan los personajes y lugares en los que sucede la acción.

Lo mejor de todo sin duda es la forma en que escribe Vance, hace tiempo que no le leía y la verdad es que su prosa me ha encantando. Es capaz de crear elocuentes momentos narrativos, pero sin caer en la pesadez ni bajar el ritmo d
Mike (the Paladin)
Under the deep red sun of a far, far future wizards and sorcerers, sorceresses and creatures, blends of animal and plants, creatures un-thought of wander across an Earth in ruins where pockets of people still live, awaiting the end when the sun goes out.

Sounds dramatic doesn't it? This is considered a classic of it's kind and has been built on since. I found it mildly interesting over all but to be honest by the end I really didn't care much anymore. The blush was off the rose so to speak. From
Jim
Apr 08, 2013 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a short story in this series & it was OK. I think it was in one of the early "Flashing Swords" anthologies. I don't care for the style of writing. The world is certainly imaginative, but too chaotic & there is no real characterization. Also there are too many weird names to keep track of in the bits & pieces I listen to. Nope, just not going to work for a whole book. Moving on.
Jaro
This special signed edition is limited to 250 numbered copies and 26 lettered copies. This is copy 219. Also signed by Tom Kidd.

A very late signature, by an unsteady hand, one of the last he ever made probably.
Luke Burrage
Second read/listen in under a year as I never got round to reviewing it last time.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #301.

Previously:
That was quick! I thought I'd read this before, but it must have been another Dying Earth book.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #273.
fromcouchtomoon
Aug 09, 2015 fromcouchtomoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gingerbread fantasy meets genepunk weirdness. Fun to read despite the lack of cohesion and agency-deficient women who "might or might not" be witches. And the writing is godawful.
Eric
She rode deep in thought, and overhead the sky rippled and cross-rippled, like a vast expanse of windy water, in tremendous shadows from horizon to horizon. Light from above, worked and refracted, flooded the land with a thousand colors, and thus, as T'sais rode, first a green beam flashed on her, then ultramarine, and topaz and ruby red, and the landscape changed in similar tintings and subtlety.

T'sais closed her eyes to the shifting lights. They rasped her nerves, confused her vision. The red
Valyssia Leigh
I really hate it when I'm told over-and-over what a 'classic' this book or that book is, only to pick it up and find that the man who wrote it used his penis as much as his pen in it's composition. This volume of short stories could serve as a classic example of that.

And yes, I understand that it was written in the 1950s when women were viewed exactly as this author staged them, but there's a line between simple disregard and misogyny, and Vance crossed it in the very first story where a wizard
Vit Babenco
May 04, 2014 Vit Babenco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To read The Dying Earth by Jack Vance is like to find oneself inside the fabulous picture painted by some artist exiled to the end of fatigued time…
“Deep in thought, Mazirian the Magician walked his garden. Trees fruited with many intoxications overhung his path, and flowers bowed obsequiously as he passed. An inch above the ground, dull as agates, the eyes of mandrakes followed the tread of his black-slippered feet. Such was Mazirian's garden—three terraces growing with strange and wonderful ve
  • The Broken Sword
  • The Pastel City
  • Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance
  • Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1)
  • Nifft the Lean
  • The Return Of The Sorcerer: The Best Of Clark Ashton Smith
  • Jirel of Joiry
  • On Blue's Waters (The Book of the Short Sun, #1)
  • Elric
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Jack of Shadows
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to grea
More about Jack Vance...

The Dying Earth (4 books)
  • The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2)
  • Cugel's saga (The Dying Earth, #3)
  • Rhialto the Marvellous (The Dying Earth, #4)

“Living creatures, if nothing else, have the right to life. It is their only truly precious possession, and the stealing of life is a wicked theft” 4 likes
“T’sain shrugged. “I have lived little, and I am not wise. Yet I know that everyone is entitled to life.” 3 likes