Start by marking “The Market System” as Want to Read:
The Market System

The Market System

In this work a political scientist seeks to offer a jargon-free introduction to the market system, for all readers with or without a background in economics. He assesses the character, rules, advantages and shortcomings of the institution co-ordinating modern economic and social life.
Published August 11th 2002 by Yale University Press (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Market System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Market System

Jamil
Jun 22, 2012 Jamil rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
While I have not finished just yet, I think this book would be good as an introductory text. There is no doubt that "market fetishism" is a serious problem and for many Lindblom will be palatable because he begins by extolling and marveling at the level of "social coordination" that the market brings to society. I'm sure people will also get the impression that we be reduced to the state of barbarians without the markets in his more transhistorical sense, but Lindblom is careful in avoiding this ...more
Gabriel C.
Aug 12, 2012 Gabriel C. rated it liked it
I was surprised; I expected it to be a one-sided polemics, but mostly it freely acknowledged the market system's weaknesses. On the whole, very fair-handed. The last chapter was terrible and betrayed great failure of imagination--even the imagination to imagine that there were things that the author had failed to imagine. It also focused too much on the narrow choice "market system or something else" rather than a meaningful choice more in line with the author's point of view, something along ...more
Tarbuckle
Scholarly and yet utterly accessible and readable, Lindblom has written herein a thoroughly enlightening analysis of the market structure that underlies our globalized economies—indeed, it's a book that, ideally, every citizen should read and thusly assist herself in paring away the tendentious cant plastered about by all sides from similarly globalized soapboxes.
Alex Brown
Jul 23, 2010 Alex Brown rated it liked it
This is a good take on market economics for a broad audience. Lindbloom does a good job of explaining the market through the lens of social coordination, and I was intrigued by his discussion of the market's effect on democracy.
Tidar Rachmadi
This book helped me a lot in finding the theories for my thesis. Those who concern with economy-politics study, this might be one of the book you should read. Lindblom clearly explain the market system esp the capitalist regime both in the developed countries and developing countries.
Trevor Carlsen
Mar 27, 2014 Trevor Carlsen rated it liked it
An easy enough read. It is agreeable that capitalism is the best system but the author's main point -that more regulation is needed - is misguided.
Jonathanstray Stray
The most lucid discussion of markets (and the philosophies, ideologies, and practicalities around them) that I have ever discovered.
Петър
Петър rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Alborz Baghipour
Alborz Baghipour rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Bola O Ajayi
Bola O Ajayi rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Kw Estes
Kw Estes rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Nathan Steele
Nathan Steele rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2012
Fred Bushor
Fred Bushor rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Mohamed Al Qassimi
Mohamed Al Qassimi rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Mark Schrad
Mark Schrad rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Padmini Ashok
Padmini Ashok rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
JoXn
JoXn rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Eke
Eke rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Gareth Griffiths
Gareth Griffiths rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Michiel
Michiel rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Katia
Katia rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Brian Stebner
Brian Stebner rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Beatrix Kiddo
Beatrix Kiddo rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Sara Frech
Sara Frech rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014