Start by marking “The Market System” as Want to Read:
The Market System

The Market System

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this work a political scientist seeks to offer a jargon-free introduction to the market system, for all readers with or without a background in economics. He assesses the character, rules, advantages and shortcomings of the institution co-ordinating modern economic and social life.
Published August 11th 2002 by Yale University Press (first published March 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Market System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Market System

Jamil
While I have not finished just yet, I think this book would be good as an introductory text. There is no doubt that "market fetishism" is a serious problem and for many Lindblom will be palatable because he begins by extolling and marveling at the level of "social coordination" that the market brings to society. I'm sure people will also get the impression that we be reduced to the state of barbarians without the markets in his more transhistorical sense, but Lindblom is careful in avoiding this...more
Gabriel C.
I was surprised; I expected it to be a one-sided polemics, but mostly it freely acknowledged the market system's weaknesses. On the whole, very fair-handed. The last chapter was terrible and betrayed great failure of imagination--even the imagination to imagine that there were things that the author had failed to imagine. It also focused too much on the narrow choice "market system or something else" rather than a meaningful choice more in line with the author's point of view, something along th...more
Trevor Carlsen
An easy enough read. It is agreeable that capitalism is the best system but the author's main point -that more regulation is needed - is misguided.
Tidar Rachmadi
This book helped me a lot in finding the theories for my thesis. Those who concern with economy-politics study, this might be one of the book you should read. Lindblom clearly explain the market system esp the capitalist regime both in the developed countries and developing countries.
Alex Brown
This is a good take on market economics for a broad audience. Lindbloom does a good job of explaining the market through the lens of social coordination, and I was intrigued by his discussion of the market's effect on democracy.
Jonathanstray Stray
The most lucid discussion of markets (and the philosophies, ideologies, and practicalities around them) that I have ever discovered.
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Carl-johan Enström
Carl-johan Enström marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Henrique Sousa
Henrique Sousa marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Margaret  Kelly
Margaret Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Tikva
Tikva added it
May 20, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Politics and Markets : The World's Political-Economic Systems Inquiry and Change: The Troubled Attempt to Understand and Shape Society Usable Knowledge: Social Science and Social Problem Solving The Science of Muddling Through Policy Making Process, The (3rd Edition)