Start by marking “The Market System” as Want to Read:
The Market System

The Market System

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this work a political scientist seeks to offer a jargon-free introduction to the market system, for all readers with or without a background in economics. He assesses the character, rules, advantages and shortcomings of the institution co-ordinating modern economic and social life.
Published August 11th 2002 by Yale University Press (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Market System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Market System

Jamil
Jun 22, 2012 Jamil rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
While I have not finished just yet, I think this book would be good as an introductory text. There is no doubt that "market fetishism" is a serious problem and for many Lindblom will be palatable because he begins by extolling and marveling at the level of "social coordination" that the market brings to society. I'm sure people will also get the impression that we be reduced to the state of barbarians without the markets in his more transhistorical sense, but Lindblom is careful in avoiding this ...more
Tarbuckle
Scholarly and yet utterly accessible and readable, Lindblom has written herein a thoroughly enlightening analysis of the market structure that underlies our globalized economies—indeed, it's a book that, ideally, every citizen should read and thusly assist herself in paring away the tendentious cant plastered about by all sides from similarly globalized soapboxes.
Gabriel C.
Aug 12, 2012 Gabriel C. rated it liked it
I was surprised; I expected it to be a one-sided polemics, but mostly it freely acknowledged the market system's weaknesses. On the whole, very fair-handed. The last chapter was terrible and betrayed great failure of imagination--even the imagination to imagine that there were things that the author had failed to imagine. It also focused too much on the narrow choice "market system or something else" rather than a meaningful choice more in line with the author's point of view, something along th ...more
Trevor Carlsen
Mar 27, 2014 Trevor Carlsen rated it liked it
An easy enough read. It is agreeable that capitalism is the best system but the author's main point -that more regulation is needed - is misguided.
Tidar Rachmadi
This book helped me a lot in finding the theories for my thesis. Those who concern with economy-politics study, this might be one of the book you should read. Lindblom clearly explain the market system esp the capitalist regime both in the developed countries and developing countries.
Alex Brown
Jul 23, 2010 Alex Brown rated it liked it
This is a good take on market economics for a broad audience. Lindbloom does a good job of explaining the market through the lens of social coordination, and I was intrigued by his discussion of the market's effect on democracy.
Jonathanstray Stray
The most lucid discussion of markets (and the philosophies, ideologies, and practicalities around them) that I have ever discovered.
JimZ
May 21, 2016 JimZ rated it it was amazing
Among the very best, non-technical, books about the market. Recommended!
Rui
Rui marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Nurlan Mustafayev
Nurlan Mustafayev marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
BrunoLD
BrunoLD marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Will Mcneilly
Will Mcneilly marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Cynosure342
Cynosure342 marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Fred Bushor
Fred Bushor rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Divya Sharma
Divya Sharma marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
JoXn
JoXn rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Adrián Román
Adrián Román marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Meister Morgan
Meister Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Fantastic Brian
Fantastic Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Bola O Ajayi
Bola O Ajayi rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Ravindra
Ravindra marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Alborz Baghipour
Alborz Baghipour is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2016
Jessica Pierce
Jessica Pierce rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Oleuanna Twig
Oleuanna Twig marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015