Start by marking “The Very Fairy Princess” as Want to Read:
The Very Fairy Princess

The Very Fairy Princess (The Very Fairy Princess)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  447 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
While her friends and family may not believe in fairies, Geraldine knows, deep down, that she is a VERY fairy princess. From morning to night, Gerry does everything that fairy princesses do: she dresses in her royal attire, practices her flying skills, and she is always on the lookout for problems to solve. But it isn't all twirls and tiaras - as every fairy princess knows ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Very Fairy Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Fairy Princess

A Ball for Daisy by Chris RaschkaA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne
Children's March Tournament of Books
56th out of 64 books — 3 voters
The Luxe by Anna GodbersenParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteEverlasting by Alyson NoelFriend or Fae by Hannah BlatchfordStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Dressed in Pink
121st out of 159 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

The Library Lady
Jun 24, 2010 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Most celebrity authors suck. Whoopie Goldberg? Jay Leno? Madonna? PUH-LEEZ!

Julie Andrews is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Years ago, she published several excellent children's fantasy novels as Julie Edwards. She didn't need to trade on her celebrity--because her books were GOOD!

People will want this because of the celebrity name. But take away the celebrity name and you will still have a lovely little picture book. You may not be convinced that Gerry is a fairy princess, but you will b
Lisa Vegan
Oct 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girly girls who like pink and princesses and who might have a bit of chutzpah too
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I love Julie Andrews (that’s the way her author name appears on this book’s cover) and so I was thrilled when I heard about this book. She’s one celebrity author, here with her sometimes co-author daughter, who writes truly good children’s books. Mandy, a novel, is probably my favorite of them, but I’ve enjoyed several others too.

* Chandra: alert!: this book has fairy houses AND a (sort of) unicorn!!

So, I really enjoyed this. The girl in this book reminds me a bit of Eloise.

I think that the girl
Kathryn
May 06, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Geraldine is a very fairy princess! She knows this because of a feeling deep down inside, and because when she behaves as a fairy princess does, she just feels sparkly. Some say fairy princesses don't have scabby knees or get their fingernails dirty, but that's the thing with Princess Geraldine, she knows that these are like honor marks, because true fairy princesses know that they have to work hard sometimes.

This all probably sounds very trite and "been there/done that" with all the books abou
Dolly
Jul 17, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Ahhh...the life of a fairy princess. I have two princesses and although I was unsure how to do the princess thing myself, our girls made up more than enough for my lack of knowledge, enthusiasm and creativity. My youngest wore tights, a dress and her crown just about every day of preschool and fairy wings have been snuck in the car more than once. So really, what I'm trying to say is that we can relate to this story and we really enjoyed reading it together. The illustrations are fun and I reall ...more
Angie
Sep 28, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I am usually very cynical of books written by "famous" people--most of the time they were not really worth it. At least in my opinion.

But, this one is very cute. My sister brought it over from the library for she and myself and my niece to read together. This is a "real" little girl who fancies herself a princess. She sometimes gets dirty but remembers to compliment her friends. She sometimes acts out a little bit in class but LOVES her teacher.

If you've got your own little princess, read this
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2016 Elizabeth added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Molly and Carmen were cleaning out
Meh. The protagonist has a lot of energy, and I appreciate that she's both practical and playful (sometimes taking too much of the spotlight but also speaking up e.g. when the class hamster escaps) and insists that stuff like sneakers can be totally appropriate fairy princess garb (despite her brother's nay-saying) and that she's supportive rather than haughty ["My best friend, Delilah, doesn't believe that I'm a fairy princess. I say you can be whatever you want to be. You just have to let your ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is such an adorable story with illustrations little girls will love. What little girl doesn't like to dress up and pretend they are a princess, or wear tu-tu's around the house and dance? Gerry knows she's a fairy princess and with her tiara, and fairy wings on, she's ready for what day has in store for her. This fairy princess knows her manners and always acts like a proper princess. Even while playing and getting dirty for trying to catch frogs.

Gerry's story takes us through her day of ge
Briana
Jul 20, 2013 Briana rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This review is also posted at Pages Unbound Book Reviews.

Summary: Geraldine knows she is a very fairy princess, even if no one else does. This is the story of how a proper fairy princess spends her day.

Art: This book is pink, glittery, and bright, perfect for any reader who enjoys a bit of glamour. The pencil illustrations are open and colorful, with streaks of red, blue, and green visible even in Geraldine’s blonde hair.

Review: The Very Fairy Princess is something of a typical princess book, si
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Gerry's story takes us through her day of ge
Margaret
Dec 06, 2010 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Sara Zick
My maiden name is Andrews and growing up that gave me one more reason to love Julie Andrews other than the Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast and many many more things of my youth including the Princess Diaries. When I discovered a few years ago that Julie and her daughter co-authored several children's books I was excited, because having been entertained by Julie in my childhood I'm sure her books are delightful. I have read a few of them in passing and in my nanny years, but Th ...more
Becca
Feb 21, 2016 Becca rated it it was ok
Shelves: kid-s-books
It's cute, but I don't find it to be clever, engaging, creative, educational, etc. I get a little tired of little girls thinking they're princesses. That's fine to some extent, but I don't feel we need it to be reinforced with a book. I mean, my girls know they're special, and they already can take that too far. Books are for taking you outside of yourself, not just celebrating your own inner sparkle.
Becky
Feb 04, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: real princesses only
Shelves: children-s, royalty
The little girl in this story reminds me of a friend I had in the first grade. She told me she was a REAL princess, and I totally believed her. Her being a princess did nothing to prevent me from trying to steal the attention of the little boy we were both crushing on. (I'm pretty sure the only reason I even liked him was because she liked him first.) Ah, young love.
The Styling Librarian
The Very Fairy Princess by Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton, illustrated by Christine Davenier – 2010 – Loved getting into the head of a little girl who believes she’s a fairy princess, quite cute. Glad I finally got a chance to read this book. Enjoyed how the little girl emphasized that you need to find your inner sparkle…
Rachael Stein
Jan 21, 2015 Rachael Stein rated it did not like it
I have to channel Dorothy Parker's review of The House at Pooh Corner here and say that the "fairy pancakes, with fairy dust on top," mark the first place in The Very Fairy Princess at which Tonstant Weader Fwowed up.

(But not the last.)

(And I do, of course, completely disagree with Parker about Pooh Corner.)

Kay
Oct 26, 2015 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I chose this book just because of who the author was and was not disappointed. Wanted to see if it would be good for a six year old reader ad it was. After I read it I gave it to her. She enjoyed it a lot and asked if there were more. Glad I had purchased the next one also.
Kayla
Jul 18, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-peanut
I thought this was an excellent story given the theme is so overdone. I'm not anti-princess but it is nice to find books that reinforce the idea that dirt and ingenuity are positives in a fairy princess instead of going after the same old tropes of helplessness and dainty looks.
Kerry
Apr 20, 2016 Kerry rated it liked it
Read with my 5yo daughter. Written by Julie Andrews, my dad's favorite person in the world aside from my mother. Sorry, dad, but your girlfriend is a better actress and singer than author ;)
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

What little girl doesn't imagine being a princess? From morning until evening, Geraldine pretends to be a young royal who goes through each day doing the same as a princess, even though others may not believe in her. This is a beautiful children's story that will warm everyone's heart. Anyone can believe in something if they really feel it in their heart.

Pam S. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Leslie
I love that the emphasis is on her SPARKLE shinning through...and that it's written by Julie Andrews!
DeeAnn
Jun 11, 2014 DeeAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Another great story-time book.
Nielson
May 04, 2010 Nielson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Written by this dynamic mother and daughter duo, Gerry, the very fairy princess, teaches us all of the proper etiquette and behaviors of fairy princesses. The cute thing is, she is just highlighting all of the little things girls do in everyday life that make them fairy princesses. This is a perfect book for all of those sweet little princesses in your life.
The colored pencil illustrations give the story a more whimsical feel and the cover and sparkly illustrations will make you want to let you
Melissa
Feb 03, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
This is probably a five-star book for fairy princess girls, but I'm not sure it has much to offer to anyone else. I know it's supposed to show us how we can celebrate ourselves, or believe in ourselves, or something, but ultimately it feels a little limited. I mean, pink clothes and drawing and singing and going to ballet class and exercising unicorns and sugar cookies with sprinkles? I'm way more interested in Gerry's trombone-playing girlfriend.
Lajune Neal
Jun 22, 2011 Lajune Neal rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute story and great to read. I enjoyed how the little girl used her imagination and was very confident. She didn't allow anyone to tell her who or what she was. I also enjoyed this book because her parents encouraged her in using her imagination and being whateva she wants. This story is great for little children and helping them to see and believe that they too can be whoever and whatever they want to be.
Marcie
Jul 07, 2010 Marcie rated it liked it
You can never have enough Princess books, and both the girls and their mom's will enjoy this one. Illustrations have plenty of pink. I enjoyed the Fairy princesses ...
"have very refined taste
are very practical
are very supportive
know when to take charge
like to keep extra gifts on hand for special occasions
know that practice makes PERFECT
are very creative"

Lots of fun.

Chinasa Izeogu
Apr 27, 2011 Chinasa Izeogu rated it liked it
Connect with your inner sparkle with this enchanting little girl, Geraldine. She struts her stuff as she cavorts through her daily activiites exuding the qualities of a fairy princess. And, what may you ask are fairy qualities. You'll have to read it to find out. Illustrations: colored pencil, bright pinks, white, yellow and red.

Recommended for kids ages 5-9.
Heather
Jun 04, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books, inv
I'm not into the princess craze (because I think it often equates with spoiled), but I like this book. Gerry adds a touch of sparkle to everything she does by imagining that she's a fairy princess doing the everyday things that little girls do. She's cute, polite, and a very down-to-earth little princess. The end is my favorite. You'll have to read it . . .
Nicole
Mar 27, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Perfect for every little girl. The main character is all about being a fairy princess & all the "jobs" that go with that! My neighbor got this for Carmen, her birthday theme was fairy princess so it was a perfect match! Carmen loves it when we change the main character's name to her name and many of the other character's to people she knows.
Tricia
Sep 25, 2010 Tricia rated it it was ok
This book sort of rambled on and didn't provide the zing or zang that makes a picture book pop (and I am not simply one to dismiss celebrity-penned books on the basis of their celebrity). Young ladies obsessed with all things princess and fairy will enjoy this but for those who have other interests, it may fall a bit flat.
Ali's Books
Oct 03, 2013 Ali's Books rated it really liked it
My little princess really enjoyed this book. She commented over and over about how she agreed and how much she liked the princess in the story. I did have to laugh, though, when my daughter asked how the princess liked to eat "dust". Of course, it was "fairy dust" the princess had sprinkled on her pancakes - LOL!!
  • Milo and the Magical Stones
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
  • Homer
  • Crafty Chloe
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi ...more
More about Julie Andrews Edwards...

The Very Fairy Princess (9 books)
  • The Very Fairy Princess Takes the Stage
  • Here Comes the Flower Girl! (The Very Fairy Princess, #3)
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • The Very Fairy Princess Sparkles in the Snow
  • The Very Fairy Princess: Graduation Girl!
  • The Very Fairy Princess: A Spooky, Sparkly Halloween