Start by marking “The Very Fairy Princess” as Want to Read:
The Very Fairy Princess

The Very Fairy Princess (The Very Fairy Princess)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  78 reviews
While her friends and family may not believe in fairies, Geraldine knows, deep down, that she is a VERY fairy princess. From morning to night, Gerry does everything that fairy princesses do: she dresses in her royal attire, practices her flying skills, and she is always on the lookout for problems to solve. But it isn't all twirls and tiaras - as every fairy princess knows ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Very Fairy Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Fairy Princess

Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly ClearyThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotPinkalicious by Victoria KannRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareGregor and the Code of Claw by Suzanne Collins
Pink covers!
71st out of 72 books — 16 voters
The Luxe by Anna GodbersenParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteEverlasting by Alyson NoelFriend or Fae by Hannah BlatchfordStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Dressed in Pink
121st out of 159 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

The Library Lady
Most celebrity authors suck. Whoopie Goldberg? Jay Leno? Madonna? PUH-LEEZ!

Julie Andrews is one of the few exceptions to the rule. Years ago, she published several excellent children's fantasy novels as Julie Edwards. She didn't need to trade on her celebrity--because her books were GOOD!

People will want this because of the celebrity name. But take away the celebrity name and you will still have a lovely little picture book. You may not be convinced that Gerry is a fairy princess, but you will b
Lisa Vegan
Oct 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girly girls who like pink and princesses and who might have a bit of chutzpah too
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I love Julie Andrews (that’s the way her author name appears on this book’s cover) and so I was thrilled when I heard about this book. She’s one celebrity author, here with her sometimes co-author daughter, who writes truly good children’s books. Mandy, a novel, is probably my favorite of them, but I’ve enjoyed several others too.

* Chandra: alert!: this book has fairy houses AND a (sort of) unicorn!!

So, I really enjoyed this. The girl in this book reminds me a bit of Eloise.

I think that the girl
Kathryn
Geraldine is a very fairy princess! She knows this because of a feeling deep down inside, and because when she behaves as a fairy princess does, she just feels sparkly. Some say fairy princesses don't have scabby knees or get their fingernails dirty, but that's the thing with Princess Geraldine, she knows that these are like honor marks, because true fairy princesses know that they have to work hard sometimes.

This all probably sounds very trite and "been there/done that" with all the books abou
Dolly
Jul 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Ahhh...the life of a fairy princess. I have two princesses and although I was unsure how to do the princess thing myself, our girls made up more than enough for my lack of knowledge, enthusiasm and creativity. My youngest wore tights, a dress and her crown just about every day of preschool and fairy wings have been snuck in the car more than once. So really, what I'm trying to say is that we can relate to this story and we really enjoyed reading it together. The illustrations are fun and I reall ...more
Angie
I am usually very cynical of books written by "famous" people--most of the time they were not really worth it. At least in my opinion.

But, this one is very cute. My sister brought it over from the library for she and myself and my niece to read together. This is a "real" little girl who fancies herself a princess. She sometimes gets dirty but remembers to compliment her friends. She sometimes acts out a little bit in class but LOVES her teacher.

If you've got your own little princess, read this
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is such an adorable story with illustrations little girls will love. What little girl doesn't like to dress up and pretend they are a princess, or wear tu-tu's around the house and dance? Gerry knows she's a fairy princess and with her tiara, and fairy wings on, she's ready for what day has in store for her. This fairy princess knows her manners and always acts like a proper princess. Even while playing and getting dirty for trying to catch frogs.

Gerry's story takes us through her day of ge
Briana
This review is also posted at Pages Unbound Book Reviews.

Summary: Geraldine knows she is a very fairy princess, even if no one else does. This is the story of how a proper fairy princess spends her day.

Art: This book is pink, glittery, and bright, perfect for any reader who enjoys a bit of glamour. The pencil illustrations are open and colorful, with streaks of red, blue, and green visible even in Geraldine’s blonde hair.

Review: The Very Fairy Princess is something of a typical princess book, si
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Gerry's story takes us through her day of ge
Margaret
Dec 06, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Sara Zick
My maiden name is Andrews and growing up that gave me one more reason to love Julie Andrews other than the Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast and many many more things of my youth including the Princess Diaries. When I discovered a few years ago that Julie and her daughter co-authored several children's books I was excited, because having been entertained by Julie in my childhood I'm sure her books are delightful. I have read a few of them in passing and in my nanny years, but Th ...more
Becky
Feb 04, 2014 Becky rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: real princesses only
Shelves: children-s, royalty
The little girl in this story reminds me of a friend I had in the first grade. She told me she was a REAL princess, and I totally believed her. Her being a princess did nothing to prevent me from trying to steal the attention of the little boy we were both crushing on. (I'm pretty sure the only reason I even liked him was because she liked him first.) Ah, young love.
The Styling Librarian
The Very Fairy Princess by Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton, illustrated by Christine Davenier – 2010 – Loved getting into the head of a little girl who believes she’s a fairy princess, quite cute. Glad I finally got a chance to read this book. Enjoyed how the little girl emphasized that you need to find your inner sparkle…
Kayla
I thought this was an excellent story given the theme is so overdone. I'm not anti-princess but it is nice to find books that reinforce the idea that dirt and ingenuity are positives in a fairy princess instead of going after the same old tropes of helplessness and dainty looks.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

What little girl doesn't imagine being a princess? From morning until evening, Geraldine pretends to be a young royal who goes through each day doing the same as a princess, even though others may not believe in her. This is a beautiful children's story that will warm everyone's heart. Anyone can believe in something if they really feel it in their heart.

Pam S. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Leslie
I love that the emphasis is on her SPARKLE shinning through...and that it's written by Julie Andrews!
DeeAnn
Another great story-time book.
Nielson
Written by this dynamic mother and daughter duo, Gerry, the very fairy princess, teaches us all of the proper etiquette and behaviors of fairy princesses. The cute thing is, she is just highlighting all of the little things girls do in everyday life that make them fairy princesses. This is a perfect book for all of those sweet little princesses in your life.
The colored pencil illustrations give the story a more whimsical feel and the cover and sparkly illustrations will make you want to let you
Melissa
This is probably a five-star book for fairy princess girls, but I'm not sure it has much to offer to anyone else. I know it's supposed to show us how we can celebrate ourselves, or believe in ourselves, or something, but ultimately it feels a little limited. I mean, pink clothes and drawing and singing and going to ballet class and exercising unicorns and sugar cookies with sprinkles? I'm way more interested in Gerry's trombone-playing girlfriend.
Lajune Neal
This was a really cute story and great to read. I enjoyed how the little girl used her imagination and was very confident. She didn't allow anyone to tell her who or what she was. I also enjoyed this book because her parents encouraged her in using her imagination and being whateva she wants. This story is great for little children and helping them to see and believe that they too can be whoever and whatever they want to be.
Marcie
You can never have enough Princess books, and both the girls and their mom's will enjoy this one. Illustrations have plenty of pink. I enjoyed the Fairy princesses ...
"have very refined taste
are very practical
are very supportive
know when to take charge
like to keep extra gifts on hand for special occasions
know that practice makes PERFECT
are very creative"

Lots of fun.

Chinasa Izeogu
Connect with your inner sparkle with this enchanting little girl, Geraldine. She struts her stuff as she cavorts through her daily activiites exuding the qualities of a fairy princess. And, what may you ask are fairy qualities. You'll have to read it to find out. Illustrations: colored pencil, bright pinks, white, yellow and red.

Recommended for kids ages 5-9.
Heather
I'm not into the princess craze (because I think it often equates with spoiled), but I like this book. Gerry adds a touch of sparkle to everything she does by imagining that she's a fairy princess doing the everyday things that little girls do. She's cute, polite, and a very down-to-earth little princess. The end is my favorite. You'll have to read it . . .
Nicole
Perfect for every little girl. The main character is all about being a fairy princess & all the "jobs" that go with that! My neighbor got this for Carmen, her birthday theme was fairy princess so it was a perfect match! Carmen loves it when we change the main character's name to her name and many of the other character's to people she knows.
Tricia
This book sort of rambled on and didn't provide the zing or zang that makes a picture book pop (and I am not simply one to dismiss celebrity-penned books on the basis of their celebrity). Young ladies obsessed with all things princess and fairy will enjoy this but for those who have other interests, it may fall a bit flat.
Ali's Books
My little princess really enjoyed this book. She commented over and over about how she agreed and how much she liked the princess in the story. I did have to laugh, though, when my daughter asked how the princess liked to eat "dust". Of course, it was "fairy dust" the princess had sprinkled on her pancakes - LOL!!
Marya
Despite the overall girly nature of this series, I am still impressed with how the heroine makes sure that her "sparkle" fairy princess design is only superficial and she is still very much interested in 'rescuing' frogs, getting skinned knees (from running to catch the bus), and supporting her friends.
Rachel
Cute book for girls about the correct behaviors and actions of proper fairy princesses, and for once, not over-done or sparkly as a lot of girl picture books tend to be. The illustrations were funny, esp as they had the all-knowing older brother in the background of most images.
Shelli
Sweet story of a little girl who is always a princess but couldn't wait to be one in the ballet play performance in front some of her friends and family. When she didn't get her dream role she showed the stuff that real princesses are made of. Cute story that shows great character.
Kate
This is a really cute children's book about a girl who thinks she is a fairy princess, her sparkle, her love of pink, and how she tries in small ways to make the world a better place. I really recommend it if you have kids to read to, or if you are a kid at heart yourself :)
Bethany Boutin
The ever-elegant Julie Andrews maintains her crisply impressive and poised demeanor with the writing of this book. The whimsical, stylistic flourishes create a story that empowers young girls to indulge their imagination and let their inner princess reign.
  • Milo and the Magical Stones
  • Pirates Don't Take Baths
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • My Brother Charlie
  • Whopper Cake
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi ...more
More about Julie Andrews Edwards...
Mandy Home: A Memoir of My Early Years The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles Dragon: Hound of Honor Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies