The Cloud of Unknowing

The Cloud of Unknowing (Classics of Western Spirituality)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,614 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Foreword by Robert Benson

A mystical classic now easier to understand

This spiritual classic has been an enigma for centuries. Notoriously difficult to understand, this contemporary English translation ushers you into the way of knowing God that can be dark at times, and luminous at others. It offers an accessible invitation to enter into God’s presence through a “cloud of...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Paraclete Press (first published 1300)

To ask other readers questions about The Cloud of Unknowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cloud of Unknowing

Olabode Ososami
Not a book for amateurs or spiritual tourists...only for serious readers with enough foundation to relate constructively to the message. Can be confusing at times ...I would recommend to someone with enough time for meditation and reflection (in solitude) and not to read on a vacation (especially with your family - your melancholic introspection may become annoying) or while waiting for your flight...you may miss your flight. Certainly a book to have on your shelf to go back to...
Tom
As I described under "The Way of The Pilgrim", The Jesus Prayer or "The Prayer" is a short, formulaic prayer esteemed and advocated within the Eastern Orthodox church:
“Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.”

“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

The prayer has been widely taught and discussed throughout the history of the Eastern Churches. It is often repeated continually as a part of personal ascetic practice, its use being an integral part of the eremi...more
David
Reading any medieval Christian mystic is difficult, but this made Theresa of Avila and John of the Cross look easy. I think part of the trouble I had was with a poor translation that left lots of old English words in old English. That said, if you are into mystic writings then you ought to check this one out. I enjoy reading a chapter or so of such books each day. There are many nuggets in it that are water for the soul.

"For at the first time when thou dost it, thou findest but a darkness; and a...more
Zadignose
Fleshly janglers, open praisers and blamers of themselves or of any other, tellers of trifles, ronners and tattlers of tales, and all manner of pinchers, cared I never that they saw this book.

This book was not meant for me, and it certainly was not meant for YOU. And so I do the devil’s work in summarizing and introducing it here. (After a short description of the work I will entertain you with a mangled version of text snippets).

The Cloud of Unknowing can be fairly seen as a philosophy of ignor...more
Chris Elgood
It is a significant book, but should be read only by people interested in the mystical tradition of 14th Century Christianity. It is the principal item in a collection of texts published under the same name. The writer is thought to be a monk, devoted to the "work" of contemplation and concerned to counsel a young follower. The core theme is that the work of contemplation requires eradication from the mind of all conscious thought (good or bad) and intense concentration on God - longing desperat...more
Laura Cowan
I have learned a lot of this by experience (maybe it is a confirmation that I didn't invent this pursuit and humbling as well as comforting to see people have been pursuing this kind of relationship with God for at least a thousand years, obviously more), but it is still a pretty wonderful and unique book. I am always suspect of people's definitions and theologies that split off the soul and other things into specific numbers of parts, but I guess it helps to have a framework to help you picture...more
Greg
very solid and interesting book. I definitely recommend it to anyone with any theological interest. You have to be dedicated and committed to reading it, but it without a doubt pays off and is an interesting and thought provoking read.
Larry
a profound spiritual classic that reveals a depth of God rarely explored by modern believers
M.
One of the best things to quote back at people who quote Julian of Norwich at you.

MT
Very liberating ideas about accessibility to God. The plan of establishing a "cloud of forgetting" between you and everything that was ever created. Then to work on piercing through a "cloud of unknowing" which separates from truly knowing God as He exists within Himself.

This theology is very appealing and quite extraordinary in coming from an author assumed to be a Catholic monk as the author describes the process as being a personal journey, "free from any intermediaries".

The author leads the...more
Cris
Written by an anonymous author, presumably a 14th century monk, the Cloud of Unknowing is a unique manual for christian contemplation, which has been called by some the origin of centering prayer. The name of the book is a reference to the author's premise that God is hidden from man's complete intellectual understanding behind a cloud (see old testament reference) and must therefore be approached through the power of love. Knowing through unknowing. The book is full of seeming contradictions th...more
Mason Wren
The cloud of unknowing..."Who is he that calls it nothing? It is surely our outward (physical) man, not our inward (spiritual). Our inward man calls it All, for because of it he is well taught to have understanding of all things bodily or spiritual, without any specific knowledge of any one thing in itself."

Fourteenth century English literary work written by an anonymous yet experienced Spiritual Director. This is basically a treatise on contemplative prayer, of what it means to know God purely,...more
Rob Brown
Of all the different versions of 'The Cloud' i've 'lived with' this is still my favourite. It has a most informative and valuable introductory commentary by Ira Progoff which positions the text well into a religious, spiritual, mystical and psychological context - something which few of the other version achieve. Also the wonderful text itself, difficult in the original, is rendered in easily approachable and seemless good eEnglish.
Adam Stevenson
I am not a believer, more an interested party and this book gave me many interesting things to think and reflect on about the unknowability of God and the interactions between body and soul.

I found the notes very helpful and the translation to be warm and humble, directing from a point of weakness rather than striding on in arrogant strength.
Cameron
Maybe this is helpful to some as the author states was his intention, but not really with me. This being written from the perspective of a catholic mystic a few centuries ago doesn't help either. I gave it a try and couldn't find the point in dwelling in the cloud of unknowing. I think this is because I lean more toward the idea that the more one sees Christ, the more one treasures Him and we can do nothing to open our own eyes. To love and know God are gifts that are given freely and I find tha...more
Edvard Taylor
This beautiful, extraordinary and timeless book by an anonymous 14th century author is one of the greatest mystical treatises of any time in any religion. It is to be most warmly recommended to all true and sincere students of mysticism. It radiates the warmth of St. Francis de Sales, touches in a uniquely loving and gentle way on the sufferings on the soul immersed in the dark night of the spirit, offers guidance on ways of contemplation and the attainment of true humility, which, as the author...more
Malinda
This is the oldest text on Contemplative Christianity written in English. There are several ancient copies in the British Museum, including three copies on velum. The anonymous author gives an outline for what we now refer to as centering prayer.
Alec Binyon
This is a manual to contemplative prayer written in simple language although its commentary and reflections are very profound. In the book the anonymous monk asks the reader to read the text completely before engaging in the practice. That seems to be essential. The 75 chapters of the book are each very short, but I found myself taking a long time to get through the text, because one paragraph would be so heavy that I would sit on it for a day or more. This is one of those books that needs to be...more
Caroline Plowden
Professor Spearing retains the density and ambiguity of the original Middle English and understands and preserves the author's preoccupation with the vernacular as a medium of religious discourse. His introduction is very informative and introduces the reader to most of the Cloud-author's important arguments and ideas. His discussion of the Cloud-author's cup and wine metaphor is particularly interesting and highlights the work's complexity. Professor Spearing's translation is the best that I ha...more
Yaholo H
This book a legend of mysticism in general, Christian or not. The core concepts of being vs. knowing, experiencing vs. defining, and connecting vs. understanding are all here in a profoundly old and timeless book. However, this book is on the opposite side of accessibility. Multiple revisits to this work throughout one's life will yield new breakthroughs every time. Nevertheless, it is truly at the heart, and a pillar, of mysticism in our global consciousness.
Anna Elissa
A beautiful treatise on medieval Christian mysticism! This book is not everyone's cup of tea; not because it is hard-rock theology with obscure ecclesial jargons, but [I believe] one needs to reach a certain level or depth in his spiritual life before attempting the contemplative life after The Cloud's style. Everything said in this book must be humbly, patiently, and silently fathomed... some parts are quite interesting and pose a challenge or two to our understanding of God and theology.

The Cl...more
Ellen Allerton
This book brought clarity to my own spirituality and had a profound on my life. I felt like i met a friend who saw things as i do.
Glen Grunau
Please see my review of "A New Translation" of this book by Carmen Acevedo Butcher. I must confess that I did experience an attraction to this original rendition in old English, and decided not to abandon it in the tough going and rather read it in its entirety, but in parallel with Butcher's new translation. I found certain terms somewhat endearing, such as the use of the fond term for God of "ghostly spouse". However, I expect that most people may find, as did I, that the translation by Butche...more
Gabriel
Probably the best book on prayer that I have ever read. It is the most succinct, simplistic, and helpful explanation of apophatic prayer that I have come across. Though some of the later portions of the book are a bit redundant, the repetition can be helpful. Also some portions are outdated or somewhat silly (e.g. the section describing the mannerisms of hypocrites), yet none of these sections are necessary to the true goal of the book. I imagine I'll come back to this book again and again.
This book was written by an anonymous Christian monk in the 14th century. He is a Spiritual Director, who writes this book to Christians considering the contemplative life. In the book he talks about the active Christian and the contemplative Christian, citing as examples Martha and Mary. I found many wonderful nuggets for those who want to follow Christ and want a deeper prayer life, even if they won't ever reach the contemplative stage that is described in this book.
Jon Edward
I think it helps to know something about what was going on with the medieval Christian monastic/contemplative movement so you can see this book in context. It's not really a contemporary self-help book at all. I'm not sure it's relevant to the way most people live now or when it was written, but the book is quite slim and easy to read so there's little time wasted in checking out whether what the author has to say is intended for someone like you.
Robert Clay
Well, it seems I'm not called to the contempletive life (at least not right now). I found much insight and wisdom in the book, but eventually, I found myself just wanting to get through it so I could move on to something else (definately not the contempletive way!). I hope to incorporate some practices into my life, but the actual excercise described is just not the way I feel called to live out my faith at this point.
Karen
I found this book especially helpful during a time in my life that I was searching for answers and not many if any could answer any of my questions, much less know what I was experiencing. Although it's written by a 14th century monk, the limits this person went to, to find out about this interior mystery was amazing, necromancers, non-the-least! Not a light read, but for the person who delves deep, it's a keeper.
Frank
The author of this book is unknown, an Englishman of the 14th century belonging to the mystical trend known as "apophatic." This little book has continued as a big seller even to the present day dealing with how to be present to God with a cloud of unknowning above and a cloud of forgetting below. One must understand old English to really get the true meaning out of this book but it is worth the effort.
Jo
It's fascinating how much today's culture could learn from monks 700 years ago. Whether we've come full circle, or else never truly departed this book is well worth the read for anyone from the devout church-goer Christian to the seeking meditator. In particular, I appreciate the way Bagley translates the Modern English into a form that we not only can understand but to which we can truly relate.
  • Revelations of Divine Love
  • Interior Castle
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • The Complete Works
  • The Collected Works of St. John of the Cross
  • The Spiritual Exercises
  • Mysticism: A Study in the Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Contemplative Prayer
  • Selected Writings
  • The Life of Moses
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita

The Cloud of Unknowing was written by someone who was exceedingly tough-minded in the sense in which William James used the phrase. He was most unsentimental, matter of fact, and down to earth; and he regarded this habit of mind as a prerequisite for the work in which he was engaged. He proceeded upon the belief that when an individual undertakes to bring his life into relation to God, he is embarking upon a serious and demanding task, a task that leaves no leeway for self-deception or illusion. It requires the most rigorous dedication and self-knowledge. The Cloud of Unknowing is therefore a book of strong and earnest thinking. It makes a realistic appraisal of the problems and weaknesses of individual human beings, for it regards man's imperfections as the raw material to be worked with in carrying out the discipline of spiritual development.” 1 likes