Start by marking “Broken Angel (House Phoenix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Angel (House Phoenix, #1)
Read Excerpt

Broken Angel (House Phoenix #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  56 reviews
One rule: don't lose. When Gabriel Morgan's sister disappears somewhere in New York's underground, he'll do anything to save her. But finding her is only the beginning, because Marcus Slade won't let her go for less than ten million dollars - earned through Gabriel's blood. Slade, one of five ruthless leaders of an organization identified only by a symbol, runs hookers and ...more
Published January 4th 2010 by Lyrical Press, Inc (first published November 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Angel

Leah
Deja Dei
So this is an excellent book, though it isn't a romance what so ever. The world building is very well done, as are the descriptions of the training and the fight scenes. It's also extremely violent beyond the underground fighting, including torture and rape. The descriptions are very vivid and visceral and not much is left to the imagination. For the most part I thought it was well done and you could really see and feel what the characters were going through, but at times it did border on gratui ...more
M'rella
1. There is not a hint of m/m in this book whatsoever.
Ok, maybe there is a ghost of a hint, but it's abuse, not a true m/m relationship. On the bright side - there is only one female character (view spoiler)

2. Lots of hurt, very little to no comfort.

3. Pronoun obsession. I got confused between different "he" quite a few times and had to reread whole paragraphs to figure out who did what to whom.

4. The ending is a bit predictab
Jessie Potts
This is my first S.W. Vaughn book and I'm really happy I had the opportunity to read it. I love the characters, I love the plot, the intricacies between the fighting Houses and the struggle of being an owned man.

Gabriel Morgan has been beaten by his father for 17 years all in the name of protecting his sister Lillith. Now that one happiness in his life is missing, and he will stop at nothing until he finds her. Unfortunately that leads him in to an underground fighting ring complete with prosti
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Broken Angel audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

First thoughts about the cover of Broken Angel? Well, that’s a bit scary. The wall looks cracked, the door looks like it is in shadow. Is it a basement? Is it a dungeon? Is that blood on the floor?! It had my brain asking several questions before I ever started the book. Good way to draw the reader/listener in.

This story is about Gabriel Morgan. He’s trying to find his sister. He feels he is responsible for her, he must
Dreamer
N.B. This is NOT an m/m read. However it is an excellent well-written story about a brother sacrificing himself to save his sister from prostitution. Gabriel is forced to become Angel, a fighter in New York's illegal fight scene. Plus a great shock ending to this.
Jenner made a sound resembling a sigh, as though his patience were sorely tested. "I did not make you what you have become," he said. "I merely uncovered what was already there."
Grace Touch
I have had the pleasure of reading this book many times before, and it never fails to capture me anew by the story that It has to tell. It never fails to draw me in, enthralling me with the story of how the lost boy named Gabriel Morgan came to be Angel; The greatest fighter that The Organization has ever seen.

All Gabriel wanted was to find his sister and protect her, as he had done since they were children. He would go to the ends of the earth to find her, and come back from the dead to keep
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Broken Angel by S.W. Vaughn is a fictional book taking place in NYC’s underground street fighting scenes. This is the first book in a the House Phoenix series but can be read as a standalone.

Gabriel Morgan’s sister disappeared and he’ll do anything to save her. Finally Gabriel found her working as a high class prostitute in New York City’s underground society.

Marcus Slade, the head of an organization running street fighters and hookers, will let her go for ten million dollars which Gabriel has t
Jennifer Don
When I think of what books I would normally pick up and read, this wasn’t one of them. Being honest, I didn’t read much of the description for the book before I decided it was one I needed to read. What captured my attention were the title, and the cover. I knew then, that I needed to read it and I’m so glad I did.

The book begins with Gabriel Morgan searching for his sister who had apparently disappeared and his searching led him to the underground fight scenes. He had learned from his past sear
Kara-karina
4.5/5

It was an unexpectedly brilliant book! I downloaded it as a free read assuming that it will be another paranormal about angels. No such thing.

The author herself, who we know as Sonya Bateman calls herself a pioneer in street fighting fiction, and I can only agree with her.

Despite the author's warning I was unprepared to deal with explosive violence at the beginning, but once I got past it, I enjoyed the book immensely. I realised that the making of Gabriel as Angel couldn't be complete with
Stephanie Dagg
Broken Angel by S W Vaughn
Not for the faint-hearted, this is a tough, gritty yet thought-provoking and, at times, touching read. It has something of a timeless, dystopian setting in New York, but centres on the world of illegal fighting rings and prostitution. Destitute Gabriel Morgan, who’s desperately searching for his lost sister Lillith, gets dragged into the Ulysses House by Marcus Slade, its leader, who sees a lot of potential in the young man. He also has a unbreakable hold over him, in t
Jody
I liked this book enough for 3.5 stars but not 4. I don't know why, it was a good story with plenty of action but for some reason it just didn't grab me enough to read the entire series. I would read the rest of the series if I didn't have anything else to read but right now I cannot see bumping it up the list to come before some of the books I have on my shelf. The characters were not entirely realistic but it was a fictional story so I expect that. The idea of a secret fight club has already b ...more
JoAnn
After going back and forth about reading the House Phoenix series, I took the plunge and am glad I did. It took you through a range of emotions, from disbelief, to anger, to a feeling helplessness. You wanted things to work out for Angel but the odds are definitely against him. Can't wait to start reading the next story in this series. If you are a fan of illegal underground fighting, you will really enjoy this book.
Madeleine
This is a seriously messed up book, but it is a well written and enticing very messed up book. Reading about all the trials Angel goes through, if I had heard about it anywhere else, or watched it somewhere, I would have immediately stopped. My curiosity however was hooked, and I had to finish, if only to see a good outcome (if there would be one). The ending had a good twist, I wasn't expecting that, but I wish it had been a little harder for him. And his friendship with Jenner? A little too cl ...more
Maz Lack
Not great. Blokey book about fighting. Bit predictable.
Aysegul
Only if you have nothing to read on the commute.
Alison
Absolutely must read. Loved it!
Kristine
Broken Angel by S.W. Vaughn is a free Goodreads advance reader copy of a paperback book that I received in January, then read in one night in March before bedtime. I had initially signed up for the giveaway due to the main character's name being Gabriel Morgan (my boyfriend's first name, then my maiden last name), then was pleasantly surprised to get the book with a personalized thank you letter and an autographed title page from the author. So, thanks, S.W.!

Broken Angel is written about 80% in
L-D
This was an interesting book about the world of underground fighting. The fighting organization is comprised of 5 houses, Ulysses, Dionyses, Pandora, Prometheus, and Orion. Each house is led by one fighter (except in the case of Pandora whose leader doesn't fight) and their lieutenant. Gabriel Morgan is looking for his sister who he last heard was part of this underground world of illicit fighting and prostitution. When he finds her, he is given the choice to fight in order to free Lillith, or t ...more
Cathy

Yawatta Hosby
I loved this 35 chapter book. Homeless, Gabriel had just moved to New York City in search of his missing sister, Lillith. He’d do anything to protect her, and when i say ‘anything,’ that’s not an exaggeration.

My favorite lines: 1) A dark smile surfaced, and he said, “I’d kill you for free. But right now, you’re worth more to me alive.” 2) Fear pulled his senses into sharp relief. 3) The lie came easy. He’d had years of practice.

It was revealed pretty early that Marcus Slade was behind it all. Th
Annabell
Warning: Book better suited for ages 18 and up. Contains graphic scenes of violence and torture. Implication of rape and prostitution.

Review: If you have ever seen the movie Fight Club with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton then you’d get a pretty good feel as to what you can expect to read in Broken Angel. Except where Fight Club had depth and dimension and a wicked ending that made you want to rewatch the movie right then and there, Broken Angel I couldn’t finish.

I read half of Broken Angel and that
LovesAllThingsBooks Book Reviews
I came across a link to this ebook on Facebook. The cover called to me so I got it. It is a really good read. The reason behind the rating is, I am not one to use curse words and this book has a lot of them. I wouldn't let my teenagers read this one due to that fact.

Gabriel has been searching for his sister. Just when he thinks that he luck is over and she will never be found, he is thrown into an organization that has her. He is forced to fight for his sister's freedom, and his own.

The organiza
Aaron Lazar
Broken Angel, by SW Vaughn, breathes with an insistent life of its own, pulling readers along through the dark underworld of barbaric fight clubs and prostitution.

The story unfolds as twenty-two year old Gabriel Morgan, destitute and starving, discovers a lead to his missing sister's whereabouts deep in the seedy underbelly of Manhattan. For two years, Gabe scoured the city in search of his sibling, driven by memories of their traumatic childhood and praying to rescue Lillith from the ring of pr
Shirley A Gray
Broken Angel

This the first and last time I will read a book like this....
....fighting tournaments among houses.
The writing was good, the characters were awesome (I really liked Angel, Shiro, Doc and Jenner).
I was very surprised by Angels sister, I totally didn't expect what happened.
I'm at loss on which way I would recommend???
50% read or 50% not to read.
If you like fighting definitely read this book...
but if you don't, stretch yourself and read this book.
BookMarc
This was one of those novels that I enjoyed but never really fell in love with. I found the main character to be fairly annoying at times and never bought into the character of Jenner, an older, slight Asia male, whom everyone feared.
The story moved along okay but was hampered by the closed environment in which it was set and so a fair amount of the story revolves around the fights, which would be okay in a longer novel, even though the novel itself is fairly short.
The twist near the end was a g
Wanda Hartzenberg
Although a truly brilliant book I could not get into the story line.
The violence, double crossing etc got to be too much for me very soon into the book.

This is one of the few books I have ever read that I would recommend almost exclusively to men.

The writing style etc is impressive, if it were not then the violence would not have disturbed me as much as it did. In the end though. It did disturb me that much.

WaAr
Lesley
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads, and I'm so glad I did. This isn't a book I would typically go for, but I really enjoyed it. I loved the author's writing style and the development of the main character. The author gives details into an underground fighting ring in New York and everything Angel is willing to sacrifice in order to protect his sister. I was drawn into the story and read the book quickly. After the twist at the end of the book, I am interested in reading the other ...more
Rebecca Matthews
I'm not very good at writing a review but i'll give it a go. I picked this book up as a kindle bargain and because i judged a book by it's cover.
I will warn you that this is not a paranormal romance, it is violent illegal street fighting really not my usual book.
However i loved Gabriel very quickly and it was the characters that kept me wanting more, i read all 4 books and can't wait for the 5th in the series.
If you fancy something new with strong characters then give this book a go if you enjoy
Goodreads Librari...: Combine (or merge) editions -- with correct cover 4 35 Dec 15, 2013 07:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combining editions? 3 98 Dec 14, 2013 05:22PM
  • Waiting in the Throes
  • Forgotten
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • Dark Soul: The Complete Collection (Dark Soul, #1-5)
  • The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture
  • Honky Tonk (Honky Tonk, #1)
  • Violence Begets...
  • Flux (Ennek #2)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Vassily the Beautiful (The ESTO Universe, #1)
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • The Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #1)
  • Lion Hearted (The Divination Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Hollywood & Mine
  • Reifu Rising
  • Infected: Shift  (Infected, #5)
  • Protection
Am I a stereotype if I say I drink a lot of coffee and I have a lot of cats? Because I do, actually...

I write books. I also write web copy, ghost content, product descriptions, whitepapers, and other random things for my Super Seekrit Day Job.

I hate snow. Just thought I'd throw that out there, too.
More about S.W. Vaughn...

House Phoenix (4 books)
  • Devil's Honor (House Phoenix, #2)
  • Mask of the Serpent (House Phoenix, #3)
  • Shades of Black (House Phoenix, #4)
Skin Deep (Fae, #1) Heartsong (Fae, #2) Unforgiven (Fae #3) Fire on the Mountain Devil's Honor (House Phoenix, #2)