Start by marking “Broken Angel (House Phoenix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Angel (House Phoenix, #1)

Read Excerpt

Broken Angel (House Phoenix #1)

One rule: don't lose. When Gabriel Morgan's sister disappears somewhere in New York's underground, he'll do anything to save her. But finding her is only the beginning, because Marcus Slade won't let her go for less than ten million dollars - earned through Gabriel's blood. Slade, one of five ruthless leaders of an organization identified only by a symbol, runs hookers and ...more
Published January 4th 2010 by Lyrical Press, Inc (first published November 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Angel

Deja Dei
So this is an excellent book, though it isn't a romance what so ever. The world building is very well done, as are the descriptions of the training and the fight scenes. It's also extremely violent beyond the underground fighting, including torture and rape. The descriptions are very vivid and visceral and not much is left to the imagination. For the most part I thought it was well done and you could really see and feel what the characters were going through, but at times it did border on gratui ...more
Leah
M'rella
1. There is not a hint of m/m in this book whatsoever.
Ok, maybe there is a ghost of a hint, but it's abuse, not a true m/m relationship. On the bright side - there is only one female character (view spoiler)

2. Lots of hurt, very little to no comfort.

3. Pronoun obsession. I got confused between different "he" quite a few times and had to reread whole paragraphs to figure out who did what to whom.

4. The ending is a bit predictab
Dreamer
N.B. This is NOT an m/m read. However it is an excellent well-written story about a brother sacrificing himself to save his sister from prostitution. Gabriel is forced to become Angel, a fighter in New York's illegal fight scene. Plus a great shock ending to this.
Jenner made a sound resembling a sigh, as though his patience were sorely tested. "I did not make you what you have become," he said. "I merely uncovered what was already there."
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Broken Angel audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

First thoughts about the cover of Broken Angel? Well, that’s a bit scary. The wall looks cracked, the door looks like it is in shadow. Is it a basement? Is it a dungeon? Is that blood on the floor?! It had my brain asking several questions before I ever started the book. Good way to draw the reader/listener in.

This story is about Gabriel Morgan. He’s trying to find his sister. He feels he is responsible for her, he must
Jennifer Don
Jun 04, 2012 Jennifer Don rated it it was amazing
When I think of what books I would normally pick up and read, this wasn’t one of them. Being honest, I didn’t read much of the description for the book before I decided it was one I needed to read. What captured my attention were the title, and the cover. I knew then, that I needed to read it and I’m so glad I did.

The book begins with Gabriel Morgan searching for his sister who had apparently disappeared and his searching led him to the underground fight scenes. He had learned from his past sear
Stephanie Dagg
Apr 01, 2013 Stephanie Dagg rated it really liked it
Broken Angel by S W Vaughn
Not for the faint-hearted, this is a tough, gritty yet thought-provoking and, at times, touching read. It has something of a timeless, dystopian setting in New York, but centres on the world of illegal fighting rings and prostitution. Destitute Gabriel Morgan, who’s desperately searching for his lost sister Lillith, gets dragged into the Ulysses House by Marcus Slade, its leader, who sees a lot of potential in the young man. He also has a unbreakable hold over him, in t
Grace Touch
Jul 13, 2013 Grace Touch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mundanes, reviewed
I have had the pleasure of reading this book many times before, and it never fails to capture me anew by the story that It has to tell. It never fails to draw me in, enthralling me with the story of how the lost boy named Gabriel Morgan came to be Angel; The greatest fighter that The Organization has ever seen.

All Gabriel wanted was to find his sister and protect her, as he had done since they were children. He would go to the ends of the earth to find her, and come back from the dead to keep
Kara-karina
Jul 01, 2011 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

It was an unexpectedly brilliant book! I downloaded it as a free read assuming that it will be another paranormal about angels. No such thing.

The author herself, who we know as Sonya Bateman calls herself a pioneer in street fighting fiction, and I can only agree with her.

Despite the author's warning I was unprepared to deal with explosive violence at the beginning, but once I got past it, I enjoyed the book immensely. I realised that the making of Gabriel as Angel couldn't be complete with
Shannon
First off, this is NOT a romance!! It's not even M/M. It's a brutal book about torture and fighting. I don't have a clue why it's even in our group. There is zero sex, zero kissing, zero hugging... I don't think there were even any real relationships. I can't even....I'm just shocked.
Maz Lack
Sep 12, 2013 Maz Lack rated it it was ok
Not great. Blokey book about fighting. Bit predictable.
Alison
Jul 22, 2011 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely must read. Loved it!
Aysegul
Jul 04, 2011 Aysegul rated it it was ok
Only if you have nothing to read on the commute.
Annabell
Mar 11, 2013 Annabell rated it did not like it
Warning: Book better suited for ages 18 and up. Contains graphic scenes of violence and torture. Implication of rape and prostitution.

Review: If you have ever seen the movie Fight Club with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton then you’d get a pretty good feel as to what you can expect to read in Broken Angel. Except where Fight Club had depth and dimension and a wicked ending that made you want to rewatch the movie right then and there, Broken Angel I couldn’t finish.

I read half of Broken Angel and that
James Hatz
May 31, 2017 James Hatz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read - full of action throughout.
Jun 25, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-action, owned
Aaron Lazar
Mar 27, 2012 Aaron Lazar rated it it was amazing
Broken Angel, by SW Vaughn, breathes with an insistent life of its own, pulling readers along through the dark underworld of barbaric fight clubs and prostitution.

The story unfolds as twenty-two year old Gabriel Morgan, destitute and starving, discovers a lead to his missing sister's whereabouts deep in the seedy underbelly of Manhattan. For two years, Gabe scoured the city in search of his sibling, driven by memories of their traumatic childhood and praying to rescue Lillith from the ring of pr
Jessie Potts
Jul 28, 2011 Jessie Potts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first S.W. Vaughn book and I'm really happy I had the opportunity to read it. I love the characters, I love the plot, the intricacies between the fighting Houses and the struggle of being an owned man.

Gabriel Morgan has been beaten by his father for 17 years all in the name of protecting his sister Lillith. Now that one happiness in his life is missing, and he will stop at nothing until he finds her. Unfortunately that leads him in to an underground fighting ring complete with prosti
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Apr 05, 2013 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Broken Angel by S.W. Vaughn is a fictional book taking place in NYC’s underground street fighting scenes. This is the first book in a the House Phoenix series but can be read as a standalone.

Gabriel Morgan’s sister disappeared and he’ll do anything to save her. Finally Gabriel found her working as a high class prostitute in New York City’s underground society.

Marcus Slade, the head of an organization running street fighters and hookers, will let her go for ten million dollars which Gabriel has t
L-D
This was an interesting book about the world of underground fighting. The fighting organization is comprised of 5 houses, Ulysses, Dionyses, Pandora, Prometheus, and Orion. Each house is led by one fighter (except in the case of Pandora whose leader doesn't fight) and their lieutenant. Gabriel Morgan is looking for his sister who he last heard was part of this underground world of illicit fighting and prostitution. When he finds her, he is given the choice to fight in order to free Lillith, or t ...more
Carmen-Shea Hepburn
No emotional connection at all.

I just couldn't seem to get into this one. The plot was intriguing, the storyline-- though predictable, especially the end-- was done well, and I enjoyed most of the supporting characters. BUT, you never really get to delve into the character's psyche. Most of this story is from the perspective of Gabriel aka "Angel". And though the author doesn't spare any details when it comes to describing the torture he has to go though, I feel like we- as the reader- never ge
Cathy
Jan 28, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing

Yawatta Hosby
Oct 02, 2013 Yawatta Hosby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, thriller
I loved this 35 chapter book. Homeless, Gabriel had just moved to New York City in search of his missing sister, Lillith. He’d do anything to protect her, and when i say ‘anything,’ that’s not an exaggeration.

My favorite lines: 1) A dark smile surfaced, and he said, “I’d kill you for free. But right now, you’re worth more to me alive.” 2) Fear pulled his senses into sharp relief. 3) The lie came easy. He’d had years of practice.

It was revealed pretty early that Marcus Slade was behind it all. Th
LovesAllThingsBooks Book Reviews
I came across a link to this ebook on Facebook. The cover called to me so I got it. It is a really good read. The reason behind the rating is, I am not one to use curse words and this book has a lot of them. I wouldn't let my teenagers read this one due to that fact.

Gabriel has been searching for his sister. Just when he thinks that he luck is over and she will never be found, he is thrown into an organization that has her. He is forced to fight for his sister's freedom, and his own.

The organiza
Kristine
Broken Angel by S.W. Vaughn is a free Goodreads advance reader copy of a paperback book that I received in January, then read in one night in March before bedtime. I had initially signed up for the giveaway due to the main character's name being Gabriel Morgan (my boyfriend's first name, then my maiden last name), then was pleasantly surprised to get the book with a personalized thank you letter and an autographed title page from the author. So, thanks, S.W.!

Broken Angel is written about 80% in
Jody
I liked this book enough for 3.5 stars but not 4. I don't know why, it was a good story with plenty of action but for some reason it just didn't grab me enough to read the entire series. I would read the rest of the series if I didn't have anything else to read but right now I cannot see bumping it up the list to come before some of the books I have on my shelf. The characters were not entirely realistic but it was a fictional story so I expect that. The idea of a secret fight club has already b ...more
BookMarc
Jul 25, 2011 BookMarc rated it liked it
This was one of those novels that I enjoyed but never really fell in love with. I found the main character to be fairly annoying at times and never bought into the character of Jenner, an older, slight Asia male, whom everyone feared.
The story moved along okay but was hampered by the closed environment in which it was set and so a fair amount of the story revolves around the fights, which would be okay in a longer novel, even though the novel itself is fairly short.
The twist near the end was a g
Madeleine
This is a seriously messed up book, but it is a well written and enticing very messed up book. Reading about all the trials Angel goes through, if I had heard about it anywhere else, or watched it somewhere, I would have immediately stopped. My curiosity however was hooked, and I had to finish, if only to see a good outcome (if there would be one). The ending had a good twist, I wasn't expecting that, but I wish it had been a little harder for him. And his friendship with Jenner? A little too cl ...more
Rebecca Matthews
Jul 16, 2011 Rebecca Matthews rated it liked it
I'm not very good at writing a review but i'll give it a go. I picked this book up as a kindle bargain and because i judged a book by it's cover.
I will warn you that this is not a paranormal romance, it is violent illegal street fighting really not my usual book.
However i loved Gabriel very quickly and it was the characters that kept me wanting more, i read all 4 books and can't wait for the 5th in the series.
If you fancy something new with strong characters then give this book a go if you enjoy
Goodreads Librari...: Combine (or merge) editions -- with correct cover 4 35 Dec 15, 2013 07:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combining editions? 3 98 Dec 14, 2013 05:22PM
  • Forgotten
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • Dark Soul: The Complete Collection (Dark Soul, #1-5)
  • Waiting in the Throes
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • Krewe Daddy (Hard as Teak #2)
  • Reifu Rising
  • A Dish Served Cold
  • Shattered Heart
  • Urban Shaman
  • The Prince's Boy: Volume One (The Prince's Boy, #1)
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • Honky Tonk (Honky Tonk, #1)
  • Something Different
  • Outcast Mine
Am I a stereotype if I say I drink a lot of coffee and I have a lot of cats? Because I do, actually...

I write books. I also write web copy, ghost content, product descriptions, whitepapers, and other random things for my Super Seekrit Day Job.

I hate snow. Just thought I'd throw that out there, too.
More about S.W. Vaughn...

House Phoenix (4 books)
  • Devil's Honor (House Phoenix, #2)
  • Mask of the Serpent (House Phoenix, #3)
  • Shades of Black (House Phoenix, #4)