Start by marking “Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors” as Want to Read:
Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors

Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,760 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The true gods of Earth existed long before our ancestors crawled mindless upon the shore: Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath, Nyarlathotep... insatiate, tenebrous monsters, whose ultimate throne is Chaos.

Greatest of all is he called Cthulhu. Only in ancient, blasphemous manuscripts can that name be found... and those who decipher it are left pale and numb, aware that in the very
Mass Market Paperback, 247 pages
Published 1987 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cthulhu

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftTales of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. LovecraftThe Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories by H.P. LovecraftNecronomicon by H.P. LovecraftThe Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft
Best of the Cthulhu Mythos
15th out of 138 books — 77 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerSalem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
210th out of 807 books — 1,126 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
For some time now I’ve had the vague idea that I’ve “read” Robert E. Howard. Oh, I’ve read most of the Conan stuff, as well as several stories. But after a weekend of reading Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors, it’s clear I’ve got a ways to go. I ran across this 1987 gem in a used bookstore, and I was intrigued right away. Other than the oft anthologized “Pigeons from Hell” (which is not a Cthulhu story), I didn’t really note any stories that I had read before (as it turns out there was one ...more
Marc Manley
One of my personal letdowns about H.P. Lovecraft was his overt racism in his horror writings. What made me appreciative of this volume was that I was able to read works in the same vein as Lovecraft-indeed, Howard proved to be just as adept at approaching Lovecraft's mythos as was Lovecraft himself-but without the blatant bigotry that undermined Lovecraft's genius. Howard manages to appropriate the language and atmosphere of Lovecraft's "cosmic horror" with fidelity and articulation. I highly re ...more
Charles
I'm putting this in fantasy to hang out with the rest of the Robert E. Howard stuff on my list. It's a collection of short stories influenced by or involving the Cthulhu Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft. As contemporaries, Howard and Lovecraft often played off of each other's work in their own stories. Howard really put himself into these tales, though, making them unique within the Mythos stories. "The Black Stone" is the most powerful tale here.
Charles
A collection of the stories that Robert E. Howard wrote that used and extended the Cthulhu mythos ideas of H. P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft invited other writers to use his tropes and Howard did so to great effect in these stories, especially in "The Black Stone." This also contains "Pigeons from Hell," Howard's best horror story, and "The Valley of the Worm," one of his best ever fantasy stories.
Nick Wallace
In some of the stories, Howard seems out of his depth in another's world. Some of the stand-outs are The Black Stone, The Valley of the Worm, People of the Dark, and Worms of the Earth. Valley and People are great reading in the vein of the Conan stories, with Worms mixing Howard's Bran Mak Morn with Lovecraft's universe.
yellowbird
This book is worth having for the cover alone. It's a wonderful, almost Alien image of a statue of cthulhu by Stephen Hickman.
Chad
A good though somewhat small collection of Howard's horror works.
Graham
This is a fine anthology of Howard's horror stories, all of them Lovecraftian in tone. Actually, there are three great little poems collected here as well - ARKHAM, SILENCE FALLS ON MECCA'S WALLS and AN OPEN WINDOW - and they pad out the anthology nicely.

Of the stories, OLD GARFIELD'S HEART is a straightforward bit of pulp horror about a heart that keeps beating after death. Nothing too unusual here. Similarly, DIG ME NO GRAVE is a southern gothic, a story of fire and brimstone and the selling o
Christopher Sutch
I know there's a movement afoot, academic or not, to rehabilitate Howard as a "serious" writer. But the more I read of his work the less of literary merit I find in it. His writings have about as much worth as Edgar Rice Burroughs's, and for the same reasons Burroughs's work will never be redeemed as great literature: Howard was mainly a writer of adventure stories and he wrote an incredible volume of material in a short time because he needed the money. That last doesn't necessarily exclude a w ...more
James

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of Horror & Suspense by the Master Writer, December 4, 2009

I will on occasion pick up an old sci-fi or horror anthology and stuff it in my pocket for safekeeping. Such a book is "The Mythos and Kindred Horrors", a collection of stories originally appearing in Weird Tales back in 1930s America, when pulp was king and Robert E. Howard was tops.

Howard, author and creator of the Conan series, also delved into Lovecraft territory. Lovecraft was a contemporary of Howard a
East Bay J
Something that has always impressed and delighted me about Robert E. Howard was the variety of tales he told. His westerns are great, his tall tales impressive and, of course, his heroic fiction is legendary.

His horror writing is a lot of fun, too. Horror elements certainly crept into his heroic fantasy and other genres, perhaps due to the association with H. P. Lovecraft and his writing. The stories in this volume are all entertaining. While they don't all deal with the so called "Cthulhu Mytho
Peregrine 12
Dec 22, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans; people who like short stories about dark monsters and nameless horrors
23 Dec 2010. Now THAT was fun. Good guys win, bad guys get killed, monsters and demons lurk in every dusty crypt.

These are short stories written for the pulp fiction market of 1920's and 30's. Thus: plots are predictable, hyper-masculine characters are all similar if not identical, racism and sexism abound. The writing repeats itself in some places, contradicts itself in others. All action, no insight.

If you can accept that and take these stories for what they are - a fun, adventurous read - t
Kristopher
I'd read this book for the first time in high school, but I'd forgotten how great it was.

It's surprising how different the stories in this collection are to most of Howard's stories. Whatever genre he was working in, fantasy or western or whatever, Howard's wrote action-packed adventure stories, with a hard-as-nails character fighting the bad guy(s) and usually getting the girl.

These stories are much more in the Lovecraftian-style, with curious wanderers stumbling into some ancient secret and
Latewood
Strong collection of horror stories.
John Montagne
Some great short stories in here... and I'm scared to say it (eh eh eh), but I found some of the stories more intriguing/scary than Lovecraft's work. I realize the two corresponded and that probably helped in Howard's knack for writing such tales so well, but I think that in a way, the presentation of these horrific tales flow faster than HP's. I believe its because Howard's no-nonsense approach to his Conan writings comes across so we have a more 'direct' (?) narrative of Cthulu tales. I enjoye ...more
Dan
I wanted to like this book. I enjoy a lot of classic pulp writers. But Howard's dialogue is unnaturally wooden and in general horrible. This would be forgivable if, like his Conan stories, most of the narrative was action, where he excels. But instead, the bulk of the stories in this collection are told through teeth-grindingling awful blocks of expository dialogue.

Don't waste your time, re-read Lovecraft if you hunger for Mythos stories. His remain the best and most readable.
Chris
A great book. Robert E. Howard was a contemporary, and friend, of H. P. Lovercraft and this is a collection of REH's stories which featured elements of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Some of them are the equal of Lovecraft's work and, I have to admit, the prose is generally more accessible than HPL's.
Redsteve
Cthulhu Mythos*, written by the author of Conan. 'Nuff Said?

* Loosely. About half the stories have little or nothing to do with Cthulhu Cannon and there's a lot more two-fisted adventuring than Lovecraft ever dreamed of.
Ron
A foray into his friend Lovecraft's invention. Not bad... probably would have been better with more stories, and continuing correspondence with Lovecraft.
Jared Stanley
Great stuff but the last few stories started to drag a bit for me. The book starts out really strong though.
Cornelius
Fuck this. Anything Cthulhu not written by Lovecraft is shit. Fuck Robert E. Howard and fuck August Derleth.
Dave Peticolas

Cthulhu stories by the guy who wrote Conan. Hm.

Gary
I really like Howards influence on the mythos.
Sara
Fantastic read!
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jaśmina
Jaśmina marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Sofia Weathersby
Sofia Weathersby marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Vol 1
  • The Hastur Cycle
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • The Book of Cthulhu
  • Dark Gods
  • Historical Lovecraft
  • New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird
  • Shadows over Innsmouth
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane