Start by marking “Satch, Dizzy, and Rapid Robert: The Wild Saga of Interracial Baseball Before Jackie Robinson” as Want to Read:

Book by Gay, Timothy M.
Published March 16th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Satch, Dizzy, and Rapid Robert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Satch, Dizzy, and Rapid Robert

Eric Stone
Sep 01, 2012 Eric Stone rated it liked it
A very interesting period of baseball history and three really fascinating characters should have added up to a better book than this. There was plenty of fun stuff, stories here and there some of which I already knew and some of which I didn't, but it was more like a long recitation of whatever facts the author could dredge up about the integrated barnstorming during off-season baseball in the 1920s, '30s and '40s. There was a lot more concern for unearthing statistics about the games and playe ...more
Ryan
Aug 25, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
I never got the sense of an overall thesis - this was a recounting of the experiences of Dean, Paige and Roberts.

Dean and Paige were very focused on making money. They were showmen first, in many ways, and ball players second. I was distressed that they would leave in the 5th inning to get to their next gig. I have, I realize, an idealized view of baseball. Owners certainly were out to make money as well, and they thought little of the source of their income - players were often poorly paid, and
Tj Lange
Jun 25, 2013 Tj Lange rated it liked it
This book could have been a lot better. I have read many pieces on barnstorming and this one would fall in the bottom half. The author has such an amazing topic to write on yet misses the plate. He was all over the place and several times I had to re-read to follow along. I am Disappointed as I had high expectations that weren't close to met. I was extremely surprised to see from the author's bio that this book wasnt his first attempt at baseball because as I was reading I thought he was new to ...more
Linda
Jul 11, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
So much about baseball I don't know or remember. Although I ended up skimming a good bit because of all the individuals and stats I really wasn't interested in, I loved the stories of these three baseball greats. And the best part is that my dad was one of the semi-pros in the early 30s who actually got a couple hits off of Satchel Paige when he came to Philllipsburg, NJ for a barnstorming game (though the game wasn't covered in this book).
David Isgur
May 13, 2013 David Isgur rated it really liked it
Author Timothy Gay shines a bright line on a part of baseball lore that is unknown by most current baseball fans. His book really captures the ear of inter-racial barnstorming in baseball, and bring s to light some of great players of the Negro Leagues! I very much enjoyed his work.
Everett Corder
Mar 01, 2016 Everett Corder rated it really liked it
Love Satch, and this book does a good job focusing on one area of his colorful career. Barnstorming at its height is a crazy tale and stark contrast from baseball of today, but that's what makes this book so interesting.
Jeff Pollard
May 01, 2010 Jeff Pollard rated it did not like it
Shelves: sports
really dry reading. like taking box scores from the 30' and writing an article for the sports page, over and over, and over, and over. Not a lot of anecdotes or memories. Guess the main characters being dead for a while is part of the problem. A documentary. Not a Saga.
Clif Smith
May 03, 2010 Clif Smith rated it it was ok
The shelf should be "sorta read." I skimmed a lot and jumped to the end. After a number of stories and background, it became little more that game statistics and who pitched, hit, or got drunk after the games. Not one of the best baseball books.
Michael Webb
Apr 16, 2010 Michael Webb rated it really liked it
Pretty much what the title promises-a fairly detailed, very readable look at the wild days of postseason barnstorming during the 1930s and 40s.
Chris
Mar 29, 2014 Chris rated it liked it
The stories were awesome. I love putting a personality to Satchel. I think a little less about Dizzy, though. Rapid Robert, I've met. I'd like to find out more about him.
victor harris
victor harris rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Sonny
Sonny rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Mike Osterman
Mike Osterman rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Rob Miller
Rob Miller rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
laura crawford
laura crawford rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2010
Telesilla
Telesilla rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
K.H.
K.H. rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Charles Ford
Charles Ford rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Joel
Joel rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
TC
TC rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Nate Regan
Nate Regan rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
James
James rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Dan Davis
Dan Davis rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2016