Start by marking “Above the Law” as Want to Read:
Above the Law

Above the Law (Casey Jordan #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Readers last saw Casey Jordan in The Letter of the Law, where she defended her law professor for the grisly murder of a student only to discover he was guilty. After, Casey left her high-powered practice and wealthy husband and opened a legal aid clinic.

When an illegal Mexican immigrant is shot on a ranch outside Dallas, it makes the news, not because of the immigrant, bu
Published February 23rd 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Above the Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above the Law

Joe Newell
A decent read. Somewhere between three stars and four. The story became a bit predictable, but was still fun. What always amuses me about these types of thrillers is how the main characters always seem to have an acquaintance which is the only person on the planet that can help them with whatever the problem is. Need a visa, overnight? Sure, call my old friend in the state department. Need help finding a vehicle that is crossing the border? Sure, call my old friend in border control. Need help w ...more
Margaret
Though I wasn’t especially impressed by the last of Tim Green’s book’s that I read, I always like to give authors a second chance. This time, I’m glad I did—because Above the Law blew me away.

Early one morning, on a ranch outside Dallas, a young Mexican immigrant, Elijandro, is shot to death by Senator Chase, who claims it was a hunting accident. Elijandro leaves behind a young wife and daughter, who are hurriedly deported back to Mexico. The real reason for their deportation, though, is that Se
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Casey Jordan is a lawyer working at a free legal clinic in Texas that serves Mexican immigrants. A client comes in claiming that her sister and her young niece have been arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Her brother-in-law died in what has officially been declared a hunting accident, but she suspects there’s more to the story. When Casey becomes involved she discovers a complicated story full of greed, corruption and politics.

Above the Law by Tim Green is a fast-paced, action-fill
Eric
Another enjoyable legal/crime story of a lawyer fighting for the little guy/gal, risking life and limb, and taking on a powerful and dangerous individual/institution. The book leans to the predictable side, but it was interesting enough to keep me going.

As usual for the genre, the bad guys are a little too evil to be believable, but I guess that's to be expected since no one wants to read a crime thriller about people sitting around playing poker and discussing speeding tickets; there has to be
Peter
This was the first Tim Green novel that I've read and because of the title I was expecting something Grishamesque.
Sadly the plot and the writing was not even remotely close to anything that Grisham would've come up with. The dialogue in many instances was comical none more so than when the heroine, Casey, (who is in a killer's car boot on the phone) and her boyfriend share this exchange.
"You'll hit the Belt Line any minute," he said. "I'm on 45 already. I'll be there."
"No problem," Casey said. "
Gail
This was a fun departure from some of the other genres I tend to stick to. Green is a competent writer who knows how to craft a story rich in detail and heavy on imagination.

At first I was taken aback by what I thought were rude stereotypes of immigrant workers in Texas, but after the first two or three chapters, I was sucked in by the pop culture references (Lifetime TV), a handsome but not perfect hero type and the highly hypocritical jet set.

Green lets us have fun, offers adventure and conju
Robert Kradoska
Casey Jordon, a lawyer doing good for poor Mexicans
Pamela
I really enjoyed this book. I love the characters of Casey Jordan and her private investigator, Jose. The story of Mexicans being exploited, used as guinea pigs and then tortured and killed was well done. I found the story suspenseful and that it moved along quickly. The only drawback for me was the ending. Granted it's one of those endings where it would take too long to wrap up but I was expecting just a little more. Especially with respect to what happened to some of the main characters, like ...more
Cynthia Sinsap
This is an enjoyable story if you like legal thrillers without too much legal jargon
It was a fast paced story with likeable characters. As other reviewers have pointed out, some of the dialogue is a bit weak and it has a certain predictability. But if you're looking for a book to just relax with, this one will be a good choice. it's the first book by Tim Green I've read. If I run into another of his books I'll certainly pick it up.
Kathryn
Before I started reading this book, I figured that it was going to be a "pro-woman" book that I wouldn't like all that much and after reading, I would stick it on the donation pile. I ended up liking it really well. The story was good and it kept me wanting to read more and more.
Cheryl
Checked out from the Gates Library. I REALLY liked this one! All about corruption and illegal immigrants. Of course, there's also the crooked cop! Gotta have one of those!
Karen Snelling
Not the best book I've read.. if it wasn't for short chapters (2-4 pages) I may not have made it through. Storyline wasn't strong enough and characters were kind of bland.
Kay
Casey Jordan is back in another great book by Tim Green. Fast moving plot with plenty of action. Nothing dull about this one.
Bill Davis
Refreshing story about a corrupt, immoral, Republican Texas Senator getting the justice that he so richly deserved.
Carol
Another good book by Tim Green. What I learned? I don't think I'll be traveling to Mexico via Texas any time soon.
Alice
Want to know more about the frightening world along the U.S. Mexican border. Read this book.
Tim
Too bad an excellent plot and premise is wasted on this tedious, boring story. 2 of 10 stars
Christine
This was the first time I read one of his books and I really enjoyed reading it.
Melanie
Nice easy mystery read if you just want to relax while on vacation which is what I did.
Marilyn
Wow, I am really impressed with Tim Green's credentials.
This was a good book.
Brenda West
This was a first read of Tim Green. I like his style of writing.
Brooke
predictable, liked the characters but not well written.
Ceej
This book flowed easily. I really like Casey's passion.
Dawn
Book on Tape - downloaded from Library online.
Carroll
Enjoyed the book, quick read.
Pauline Doyle
Pauline Doyle marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Michael Antar
Michael Antar marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Dgary
Dgary added it
Feb 06, 2015
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • The Chamber of Five
  • The Purloined Paperweight
  • Blind Rage
  • Naked Eye (Fearless FBI, #4)
  • Silent Counsel
  • The Last Witness (Lou Mason Mystery #2)
  • The Social Climber's Handbook: A Novel
  • Try Dying
  • Babylonne
  • At First Sight
  • The Hunted
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Lords of Corruption
  • Illegal
  • Lie Down with the Devil (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #12)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini, #1)
Tim Green, for many years a star defensive end with the Atlanta Falcons, is a man of many talents. He's the author of such gripping books for adults as the New York Times bestselling The Dark Side of the Game and a dozen suspense novels, including Exact Revenge and Kingdom Come. Tim graduated covaledictorian from Syracuse University and was a first-round NFL draft pick. He later earned his law deg ...more
More about Tim Green...

Casey Jordan (3 books)
  • The Letter of the Law (Casey Jordan, #1)
  • False Convictions (Casey Jordan, #3)
Football Hero (Football Genius, #2) Football Genius (Football Genius, #1) Unstoppable Baseball Great Football Champ (Football Genius, #3)