Start by marking “A Long Fatal Love Chase, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
A Long Fatal Love Chase, Vol. 2
Preview

A Long Fatal Love Chase, Vol. 2

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"I'd gladly sell my soul to Satan for a year of freedom," cries impetuous Rosamond Vivian to her callous grandfather. Then, one stormy night, a brooding stranger appears in her remote island home, ready to take Rosamond to her word. Spellbound by the mysterious Philip Tempest, Rosamond is seduced with promises of love and freedom, then spirited away on Tempest's sumptuous ...more
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published April 12th 1999 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published 1995)

Marissa
This book is hard to put down. It wasn't published during Louisa May Alcott's lifetime because it was too sensational...it was published a hundred years later! This book is a far cry from "Little Women" but it is also well written and eloquent. The story itself is powerful and if I told you the lessons I'm pulling from it, well that would be a major spoiler. So, you're just going to have to read it yourself!
Nicole N.
Quite a pleasant surprise, this book. Found it at my local library and was intrigued to read that this wasn't published in Alcott's lifetime but only 100 years afterwards. This is truly a little gem of a book.

18-year-old Rosamund has been brought up in seclusion on a small island with her grandfather who doesn't care much about her at all. When one of her grandfather's old pupils, Phillip Tempest, comes to visit, Rosamund is swept away by the stories he tells and the charm he exudes. Swearing to
Kelly
Mar 19, 2014 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kelly by: my sister, tho she doesn't know I stole it from her

A Long Fatal Love Chase, Vol. 2 by Louisa May Alcott A LONG FATAL LOVE CHASE

Firstly, I'll admit that I "stole" this book from my adoring sister. I don't say borrowed because I never plan to return it.

Simply put: I loved this story. It has love, intrigue, suspense, heartache, desire, treachery, innocence, betrayal, action, chases, psychological despair, and murder. What is NOT to love in this somewhat slim novel?

Right or wrong, Rosamond gets the fate she uttered in the beginning: "...I'd gladly sell my soul for a year of freedom."

(view spoiler)
Jodz
Certainly not like Little Women, Little Men or Jo's Boys. Hard to believe it was released 100 years after her death.
Becky Waters
Who knew? Not a book that is familiar to most by this author. Captivating until the very end.
Kathy E.
I absolutely loved this book! A historical romance/suspense and so beautifully written.
Arielle
I first read this at 18. I fell in love with it. Still love it today.
Erin Kelly
This book was written in 1866, but was considered "too sensational," so Alcott put it away and wrote Little Women instead. A Long Fatal Love Chase didn't reach the public readership until 1995.

It's interesting to consider that the same woman who wrote Little Women also wrote this book. A Long Fatal Love Chase is a Gothic novel with classic Gothic elements -- an oppressed woman; a tyrannical man; old, drafty buildings; supernatural undertows; and hidden past secrets. Although the story wasn't as
Martha
I started to read it again and then remembered what it was all about and decided not to. A young woman meets up with a man who she expects romance with only to find he is cruel and deceitful. The young woman tries to hide from the man she has been with and he always finds here no matter where she goes - different towns, convent, etc. - a long chase. It's not exactly a feel good book, but stating the obvious, Alcott is a great writer, so if you like that sort of thing it's still a good read.
Ally
A Long Fatal Love Chase is a classic book that is hard to put down. The story follows a young and beautiful girl as she is lured into the world for adventure only to find herself in an obsessive and intimidating relationship with a mysterious older man.

This book is one to inspire a slew of emotions, and a good example of how reading can be intense and enjoyable.

The book has constant twists and turns, as Rosamond goes from blistering happiness to utter betrayal; from blinding love to complete d
Amanda Blazzard
I love that this book was clean, enticing, and well written. The sinister edge is stellar. The characters were well thought out and complex for such a short novel. I will be seeking out other great reads by Louisa May Alcott. I'm ashamed that I have not read Little Women yet. That classic may be found in my near future.
Carol Ann Hoyt
A novel written about 1866 and quite amazing because of when it was written. This was a story so sensational it could not be published during Louisa May Alcott's lifetime. I had never heard of it until one of our book club members told us about it.

It starts "I tell you I cannot bear it! I shall do something desperate if this life is not changed soon. I gets worse and worse, and I often feel as if I'd gladly sell my soul to Satan for a year of freedom."

This is still a novel to read and enjoy eve
Jade Park
Perfect writing, per usual Alcotts narrative is flawless. The characters are strangely moralistic and single-minded. an exclusive, captivating product of gothic romance.
Cindy
I came across this book at work and because I loved Little Women so as a child I had to read it. Very different, so scandalous that it wasn't published in Alcolt's lifetime. A young woman is so desperate to flee her boring life that she takes off with the first man she meets. He stages a fake wedding ceremony and turns out to be a cad. She escapes and he can't stand the fact that she isn't with him and chases her across Europe. A fun read, the prose is dated but Rosamond is so different from oth ...more
 Gigi Ann
My Thoughts...
Ms. Alcott is best known for her novel "Little Women," even though she wrote other stories as well. I chanced upon this audio book at a Library Sale a year or two ago. I decided to listen to it this week-end. It was an interesting book, quite different from "Little Women," and "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys." It is a great contrast for anyone who has read those books.

It was a different Louisa May Alcott book, but interesting in that it was written over 100 years ago, and I am awarding
Kitty
Didn't think too much of the book, it was plain, and left no imaginations for the readers. Disappointed.
Lori Malaski
I liked it. :)
peaseblossom
Who knew LMA could be so much fun? Read it in one sitting, planning on reading the rest of her potboilers as soon as I can get my hands on them. Great for fans of Jane Eyre or Rebecca.

ETA: also similar to the Gwendolyn sections of Daniel Deronda, and to The Grey Woman by Elizabeth Gaskell.
Melinda
Jan 23, 2014 Melinda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
This book has been highly rated. I read a spoiler (accidentally of course) and it basically ruined the whole story. Very upset about it. Anyhow...I give it only two stars. Just not interesting to me if I know what happens.

Juliana Knight
I absolutely loved this book. I had picked it up in the library on a whim, and it turned out to be am entrancing read. There are so many different kinds of love examined in this book. Hate, betrayal, and all kinds of other passions are shown as well. I constantly changed my opinion on what future I wanted for Rosamund, and though (to me) the ending was sad, there was something that seemed right about it. What else could have happened with so much soul consuming love?
Cheryl
I picked this book off the shelf at the library. I always associated Louisa May Alcott with childrens books. This is far from it.

The language is beautiful, reminiscent of another time and place. The depth of the characters is amazing.

It leaves one pondering the phrase, "Be careful what you wish for..."

This is the best book I have read in a VERY long time.
Janet
Very enjoyable story.
Linda
I have read this book several times now. A very different and not well known Louisa May Alcott book. The entire time I was reading it I pictured Jo from Little Women with her writing cap on feriously writing away a wildly, daring and tragic story. Under that pretense I really enjoyed the book.
Cathie
I was intrigued to read this book when I saw that the manuscript had been unpublished for many years. The writing style kept me wanting to read just a little bit more. It did have quite a few unbelievable scenes, but that may have been the sensational writing style of the time.
Debbie
I wanted to see what this book by Louisa May Alcott was like after reading about it in her biography. It's a tale about the darker side of life, and is definitely quite different than "Little Women". I only read the first 3 chapters, because I didn't enjoy it.
Kristine
This book was melodramatic and had me giggling at times because it was silly, particularly with Miss Alcott's love of the exclamation mark. However it was still a good, fast paced story. Maybe not a classic but it is worth reading.
Allison Leybas lefler
A fun read but predictable and repetitive.
Shannon
Apr 03, 2011 Shannon marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorite-books
I can not put this book down! It's been interesting from the very first page! I'm almost finish and I'm so sad I'm almost done!
The most AMAZING book ever! I can not tell you how much I loved this book! I could not put it down!
Holly Rose
This book intrigued me b/c they published it over 100 years later than it was written because of the material. I don't read alot of historical fiction but I am a Little Woman fan and this one is also very good.
Leah
Not published until 1993, this book is a treasure for our time. "A Long Fatal Love Chase" is a twisted love story that is full of suspense. Very hard to put down! I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
  • Beggars and Choosers: How the Politics of Choice Shapes Adoption, Abortion, and Welfare in the United States
  • A People's History of Poverty in America
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • Trouble
  • My Wife's Affair
  • Exiles
  • The Manchurian President: Barack Obama's Ties to Communists, Socialists and Other Anti-American Extremists
  • A Moment's Liberty: The Shorter Diary
  • A Model Summer
  • The Merlot Murders (Wine Country Mysteries #1)
  • The Butterfly Key
  • Death of a Musketeer (A Musketeers Mystery, #1)
  • Legends 13
  • Poirot Investigates Vol. 1
  • The Terracotta Army
  • The Heart Denied
  • This Side Of The Sky
  • Aldric & Anneliese
As A. M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...
Little Women (Little Women, #1) Little Men (Little Women #2) Eight Cousins Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3) Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins #2)