Start by marking “Hard Times in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Hard Times in Paradise

Hard Times in Paradise

An account of one family's life in a redwood forest describes how the Colfax's lived without electricity, running water, or a phone, and how they educated their sons, three of whom were accepted to Harvard on full scholarships.
Published May 30th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published July 17th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Times in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Times in Paradise

Jul 10, 2008 Katheryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Hard Times in Paradise years ago at the beginning of our homeschooling journey and just fell in love with the Colfax's story. Made me think more than once about moving to a remote area of the N. CA coast. My favorite homeschooling book!
Aug 10, 2008 Kami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool-ed
I loved this book because these people did something I wish I could do. Live in the mountains and survive and build a house. Plus they homeschool.
Sep 04, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the true story of a family that left academia and began a homestead in northern California, with a pit-stop in Africa. They build their own home, raise livestock, and start a guest house. It's a really intriguing tale of life in the 1970s and 80s, the philosophy behind homesteading and homeschooling, and it's just plain interesting to read.
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2008
Feb 18, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It's about a family of six (four boys, two adopted, two bio) who decided to literally live off the land. The parents gave up their job, bought some land, and carved out a life for themselves by building their own home (which took many years) and adding livestock and gardens to support themselves. They had no electricity and no running water for years! The most fascinating part for me was that they homeschooled in a very, very non-traditional way and three of the four bo ...more
John Steinbeck
John Steinbeck rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Erin rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2010
Jerry rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2010
Polly Jirkovsky
A memoir of living on the land in the 1970s and homeschooling, really unschooling, four kids. The descriptions of the Colfax's life on the land were brutal, it's amazing they managed as long as they did in a half-finished house with no electricity. No wonder the kids couldn't wait to go to college.
Jun 19, 2011 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Colfax's first book and had equal expectations for this tome, but was disappointed. This book covered their homesteading years extensively, but didn't really offer any additional insight as to educational philosophy or methodology - probably because they don't have one. Something didn't quite jive with their account of being fired and suing for tenure, but that was just my gut instinct. I was also more than a little bothered by the attitude the parents held that they were 'too good ...more
Nov 07, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for the homestead information, but was also pleasantly surprised to read about their homeschooling. It sounds just like the Thomas Jefferson Education which I am very intrigued by. This was a very good, and intriguing book.
erin ball
May 31, 2012 erin ball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This family is so interesting. Their kids (2 bio, 2 adopted) were what we might call "unschooled", and then (3 of the 4) graduated Harvard.
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Jul 25, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book that tells such a fascinating true story of a family in northern California that checks out of academia after much pain and blacklisting due to political activism both on campus and off. They bought raw acreage and carved out a homestead, raised their bio and adopted kids, and inadvertently became homeschoolers back when it was unheard of. Loved their writing style, their passion for social justice, and the life they chose in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
Kim rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Feb 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Colfax's story is one of perseverance. It is well worth the read. I found this book to be both encouraging and Inspiring.
Lisa rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Bitsy rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Apr 02, 2014 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true story of a crazy family who decided to 'get back to the land' in the 1970's. That they survived the experience is a miracle!
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Brad West
Brad West rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Tina Surette
Tina Surette rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Naomi rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Angela rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Christine Wilder
Christine Wilder rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Feb 19, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this story was amazing- how they lived, survived and tenaciously worked so hard to get what they wanted is very inspirationing! I love how they encouraged and supported their children in what they were passionate about.

This story is more about their lives homesteading than about homeschooling.
Apr 20, 2016 polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love the way the Colfax family learned together!! I liked the book so much that I forced my husband to read it, too--and that's unusual. The cooperative family unit is what stands out about this book--the idea that the family is not comprised of parental authority figures who are dispensing all their wisdom and knowledge to children, but that the group of individuals together works to create a life, and everyone has input on what that looks like. A great model for family life...even if yo ...more
NoBeatenPath rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016