Start by marking “If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently” as Want to Read:
If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

A captivating book, filled with stories and examples, will leave its readers inspired with fresh insights and new hope. A must for every hospital manager's library and required reading in every health care curriculum.
Published December 31st 2004 by Second River Healthcare Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about If Disney Ran Your Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Disney Ran Your Hospital

الأندلس من الفتح إلى السقوط by راغب السرجانيرجب طيب أردوغان by Hüseyin Besli1984 by George Orwellأن تقتل طائرا بريئا by Harper Leeرحلتي من الشك إلى الإيمان by مصطفى محمود
Books to be read in 2013
125th out of 164 books — 113 voters
Medical Terminology by David AnderssonThe Ghost Map by Steven JohnsonCritical Care by Theresa BrownIf Disney Ran Your Hospital by Fred LeeIf Not Now, When? by Esther Rantzen
Nursing
4th out of 18 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Cyndie
Apr 25, 2014 Cyndie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Tom McFerson
A different take on what it means to run a medical facility. As a vet I found many of the lessons helpful for our work, even though the human hospital system is a bit different. We may not have different departments, but we do have different roles (receptionist, managers, technicians, doctors etc.). It talks about the difference between what we offer and clients *perspective* of what we offer. It has studies showing in human medicine (and I suspect in veterinary medicine as well) customer ...more
Sheila
Dec 06, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: veterinary, business
I read this after reading Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service, and both books are on a very similar theme. This book does focus on how Disney's idea of customer service can be applied to medical facilities, and in my opinion they would apply to veterinary facilities as well. My book is now well highlighted and marked up with my notes, and I will be passing it on to a couple other people to read to get their ideas, input, and opinions as well.
Doug Della pietra
May 25, 2015 Doug Della pietra rated it it was amazing
Great book! What I found most helpful and "fresh" in Fred Lee's book is the fundamental point: hospitals are not service organizations like the hotel, restaurant, retail and similar industries. Instead, hospitals are healing organizations, and the key ingredient in the customer experience for hospitals is compassion.
Vanessa
Jul 28, 2012 Vanessa rated it really liked it
My primary background is in hospitality, but I recently started volunteering as a patient advocate in a local hospital. I'm also a Disney fanatic. When my supervisor mentioned this book I knew I had to read it.

While I completely agree that customer service/loyalty should be a priority in any setting and all companies must maintain a certain edge to be successful. I'm still a little unclear why it so important in the medical setting. I know it has to do with ratings and other things but I didn't
Brian Black
Feb 18, 2015 Brian Black rated it it was ok
Really caught my attention with some of his ideas. Ultimately, his data is mostly anecdotal and he does the very things he says are ineffective (doing a tour of a different facility expecting results is a waste -->his tour of Disney is an exception tho; a simple formula expecting great results doesn't work; his 9 1/2 principles is the right formula tho; self help books don't work-->other than this self-help book tho . . .)
There was some good in the book but some more substantive data would
Petter Wolff
May 14, 2015 Petter Wolff rated it really liked it
A well-written book with a great many takeaways.
The first couple of chapters were of most value for me, being quite analytical-minded and having read a lot of management literature, particularly on lean management. The distinction between outcomes and perceptions is important, and all the ideas on how to manage prescriptions (without being manipulative) are great.
The title is potentially very misleading, as neither Disney nor hospitals are essential to the material, and it's of use pretty much a
Jaime L.
Dec 16, 2013 Jaime L. rated it it was amazing
I am such a fan of this book. By shifting an organizations focus from efficiency to customer service, a hospital can realize some very tangible benefits. Lee does an exceptional job combining concepts with examples to help the reader better understand the information.
Brandie
Jun 15, 2012 Brandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
Really easy read, which makes the difference between satisfied customers and LOYAL customers very clear. Fred Lee tells the story about something serious (patient loyalty) in a funny and down to earth way.
Alvin
Sep 11, 2012 Alvin rated it really liked it
Relevant to health care as well as to many service industries, a refreshing way to think about goods, services, and experiences delivered to a customer; highly recommended for those who lead or manage an organization, department, or group of individuals.
Jiwa Rasa
Apr 04, 2013 Jiwa Rasa rated it really liked it
Buku ini mencetuskan pandangan baru terhadap pengurusan hospital. Sebenarnya banyak persamaan antara hospital dan Disney.
Deanna Peshl
Mar 09, 2014 Deanna Peshl rated it it was amazing
Anyone who works in a hospital should read this. Really enjoyable and worth the short read. I was inspired and encouraged!
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Mercy Elaine
Mercy Elaine rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Alison Tothy
Alison Tothy rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Phillip Gregg
Phillip Gregg rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Ipseeta2605
Ipseeta2605 rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Lisa Kelley
Lisa Kelley rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Tim Feagan
Tim Feagan rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Angela
Feb 11, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
I wish Disney ran everything.
Haley
Haley rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2011
Scott Wyckoff
Scott Wyckoff rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Brian Hughes
Brian Hughes rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Jeff Cantrell
Jeff Cantrell rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
  • Puppy Primer
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • How to Make Your Cat an Internet Celebrity: A Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Guys Can Be Cat Ladies Too
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones
  • On the Mend
  • Your Medical Mind: How to Decide What Is Right for You
  • White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack
  • The Behavior Code: A Practical Guide to Understanding and Teaching the Most Challenging Students
  • Explicit Instruction: Effective and Efficient Teaching
  • Management Lessons from Mayo Clinic: Inside One of the World's Most Admired Service Organizations
  • More Than a Hobby: How a $600 Startup Became America's Home and Craft Superstore