Start by marking “If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently” as Want to Read:
If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A captivating book, filled with stories and examples, will leave its readers inspired with fresh insights and new hope. A must for every hospital manager's library and required reading in every health care curriculum.
Published December 31st 2004 by Second River Healthcare Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about If Disney Ran Your Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Disney Ran Your Hospital

الأندلس من الفتح إلى السقوط by راغب السرجانيرجب طيب أردوغان by Hüseyin Besli1984 by George Orwellأن تقتل طائرا بريئا by Harper Leeرحلتي من الشك إلى الإيمان by مصطفى محمود
Books to be read in 2013
125th out of 165 books — 107 voters
The Ghost Map by Steven JohnsonCritical Care by Theresa BrownIf Disney Ran Your Hospital by Fred LeeIf Not Now, When? by Esther RantzenNotes on Nursing by Florence Nightingale
Nursing
3rd out of 17 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheila
Dec 06, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: veterinary, business
I read this after reading Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service, and both books are on a very similar theme. This book does focus on how Disney's idea of customer service can be applied to medical facilities, and in my opinion they would apply to veterinary facilities as well. My book is now well highlighted and marked up with my notes, and I will be passing it on to a couple other people to read to get their ideas, input, and opinions as well.
Cyndie
Apr 25, 2014 Cyndie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Tom McFerson
A different take on what it means to run a medical facility. As a vet I found many of the lessons helpful for our work, even though the human hospital system is a bit different. We may not have different departments, but we do have different roles (receptionist, managers, technicians, doctors etc.). It talks about the difference between what we offer and clients *perspective* of what we offer. It has studies showing in human medicine (and I suspect in veterinary medicine as well) customer satisf ...more
Doug Della pietra
May 25, 2015 Doug Della pietra rated it it was amazing
Great book! What I found most helpful and "fresh" in Fred Lee's book is the fundamental point: hospitals are not service organizations like the hotel, restaurant, retail and similar industries. Instead, hospitals are healing organizations, and the key ingredient in the customer experience for hospitals is compassion.
Petter Wolff
May 14, 2015 Petter Wolff rated it really liked it
A well-written book with a great many takeaways.
The first couple of chapters were of most value for me, being quite analytical-minded and having read a lot of management literature, particularly on lean management. The distinction between outcomes and perceptions is important, and all the ideas on how to manage prescriptions (without being manipulative) are great.
The title is potentially very misleading, as neither Disney nor hospitals are essential to the material, and it's of use pretty much a
Vanessa
Jul 28, 2012 Vanessa rated it really liked it
My primary background is in hospitality, but I recently started volunteering as a patient advocate in a local hospital. I'm also a Disney fanatic. When my supervisor mentioned this book I knew I had to read it.

While I completely agree that customer service/loyalty should be a priority in any setting and all companies must maintain a certain edge to be successful. I'm still a little unclear why it so important in the medical setting. I know it has to do with ratings and other things but I didn't
Brian Black
Feb 18, 2015 Brian Black rated it it was ok
Really caught my attention with some of his ideas. Ultimately, his data is mostly anecdotal and he does the very things he says are ineffective (doing a tour of a different facility expecting results is a waste -->his tour of Disney is an exception tho; a simple formula expecting great results doesn't work; his 9 1/2 principles is the right formula tho; self help books don't work-->other than this self-help book tho . . .)
There was some good in the book but some more substantive data would
Jaime L.
Dec 16, 2013 Jaime L. rated it it was amazing
I am such a fan of this book. By shifting an organizations focus from efficiency to customer service, a hospital can realize some very tangible benefits. Lee does an exceptional job combining concepts with examples to help the reader better understand the information.
Alvin
Sep 11, 2012 Alvin rated it really liked it
Relevant to health care as well as to many service industries, a refreshing way to think about goods, services, and experiences delivered to a customer; highly recommended for those who lead or manage an organization, department, or group of individuals.
Brandie
Jun 15, 2012 Brandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
Really easy read, which makes the difference between satisfied customers and LOYAL customers very clear. Fred Lee tells the story about something serious (patient loyalty) in a funny and down to earth way.
Deanna Peshl
Mar 09, 2014 Deanna Peshl rated it it was amazing
Anyone who works in a hospital should read this. Really enjoyable and worth the short read. I was inspired and encouraged!
Jiwa Rasa
Apr 04, 2013 Jiwa Rasa rated it really liked it
Buku ini mencetuskan pandangan baru terhadap pengurusan hospital. Sebenarnya banyak persamaan antara hospital dan Disney.
Lainie Messina
Jun 01, 2013 Lainie Messina rated it it was amazing
Simple. Inspirational. I did a LOT of highlighting, which for me is the sign of a great book
Sharon
Feb 12, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This was very interesting, good correlation between Disney and hospitals service goals
Joyce Login
Not a complicated plan for success. Treat people with kindness and communicate.
Steve Corley
Jul 01, 2012 Steve Corley rated it really liked it
Was recommended by a respected colleague. Interesting and thought provoking.
Angela
Feb 11, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
I wish Disney ran everything.
Dou
Dou marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
俐芸 黃
俐芸 黃 rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Atef Morsy
Atef Morsy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
R.breault
R.breault marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Haley Gross
Haley Gross marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Tim Habert
Tim Habert marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Shanda
Shanda marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
S James
S James rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Renuka Narain
Renuka Narain marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Dana Ankenbauer
Dana Ankenbauer rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Susan E. Schmidt
Susan E. Schmidt rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
  • Horse Vet - Chronicles of a Mobile Veterinarian
  • Puppy Primer
  • Guys Can Be Cat Ladies Too
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • In Defence of Dogs
  • Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones
  • The Last Walk: Reflections on Our Pets at the End of Their Lives
  • Feed Your Pet Right: The Authoritative Guide to Feeding Your Dog and Cat
  • Don't Dump the Dog: Advice from America's Favorite Dog Rescuer
  • Wildly Affordable Organic: Eat Fabulous Food, Get Healthy, and Save the Planet--All on $5 a Day or Less
  • Lucky Dog: How Being a Veterinarian Saved My Life
  • Essential Yoga: An Illustrated Guide to over 100 Yoga Poses and Meditation
  • Sincerity: How a Moral Ideal Born Five Hundred Years Ago Inspired Religious Wars, Modern Art, Hipster Chic, and the Curious Notion That We All Have Something to Say (No Matter How Dull)
  • Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right