Start by marking “Pierre: A Cautionary Tale In Five Chapters And A Prologue” as Want to Read:
Pierre: A Cautionary Tale In Five Chapters And A Prologue

Pierre: A Cautionary Tale In Five Chapters And A Prologue (Nutshell Library)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  7,561 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Young Pierre, whose favorite line is "I don't care", changes his tune after meeting a hungry lion.
Unknown Binding, 48 pages
Published 1962 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Pierre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pierre

Ronyell
Pierre

“Pierre: A Cautionary Tale” is apart of the Nutshell Kids Library collection by Maurice Sendak and is one of the most exciting one out of all the stories of the collection. “Pierre: A Cautionary Tale” is about a young boy named Pierre who never cared about hurting other people’s feelings until a lion comes for a visit. This book will definitely be a cult favorite among children who are fans of Maurice Sendak’s works.

Maurice Sendak has done a superb job at both illustrating and writing this book
Laima
Jun 16, 2013 Laima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I've included a link to Carole King's musical version of this classic children's story.
A fabulous combination of talent - Sendak's lyrical words and King's beautiful voice.

The copy I read was printed in 2013 but includes the original 1962 cover. The artwork in this story is also really well done; classic Sendak style.
What I didn't know?? This book is part of The Nutshell Library:

One was Johnny
Chicken Soup With Rice
Alligators All Around
Pierre

To sum it up this is "a sto
Dolly
Jul 09, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2013
Odd, but entertaining story about a little boy who doesn't care. I've never been much of a fan of Maurice Sendak's work, but I thought this was a clever and humorous tale. The illustrations are simple and the chapters are very short. I am not sure if this book is appropriate for younger children, but older children will likely be able to appreciate the wry wit.

interesting quote:

"The moral of Pierre is: CARE!" (p. 48)
Esther
Jul 24, 2007 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-1993
My kindergarten class did a skit to the song about how Pierre doesn't care and for years I couldn't figure out where the song was from and why it haunted me. I would even sing the one part I knew to people once in a while and no one could tell me more about it. I finally figured it out at the Maurice Sendak exhibit at the Jewish Museum about three years ago. It was like a revelation.
May 22, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't care
Recommended to Sarah by: Edie
Shelves: picture-books
A gem, to be sure with a solid moral. I do so love a moral.
sj
May 01, 2013 sj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-younglings
I just finished reading this 4 times in a row with my six year old. He read most of it to me, then asked me to read it to give the voices the proper tone.

He always doubts me when I say "Oh, this is a good one! I LOVED this one when I was your age!" but this time he listened to me, and he loved it.

LOVED.

His favourite parts involve the lion (of course) - he loves the satisfied smirk on his face when Pierre is eaten and watching Pierre's father smacking the lion with the chair.

I'm glad I found a co

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Info: Harper Collins Publishers Inc.: 1991

Reading Level: Ages 4-8

Topic/Theme: caring

Issues Addressed: It is better to care about something than to not care at all.

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading

Summary: Pierre responds to everything with "I don't care." He does not care about anything. He does not care what his mother thinks. He does not care what he eats. Pierre is a comical character who learns to care.

Text and im
Susan
May 13, 2014 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, storybook
I never really liked this one as a child. Pierre getting eaten because he 'doesn't care'? It always just seemed to me that Pierre was just trying to do his own thing and avoid arbitrary directives. OK, not pouring syrup in your hair is a good idea, but not standing on your head, and to be killed for either?!? The 'moral' seems more like 'conform unquestioningly to authority or you will risk being killed for it'.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I LOVE Carol King's song about Pierre better than the book. I think it's because I'm not fond of Sendak's artwork.
Chrissi Guarnieri
Pierre is a boy who just doesn't seem to care about anything, that is until he is eaten by a lion. The moral of this story runs true for any parent, "care". The story and illustrations by Maurice Sendak are simple, stylized and interestingly enough the little boy resembles the little boy in Where the Wild Things Are. The story is short, and my children thought it was funny, although I found the repetition of the "I don't care" to be irritating. This was not my favorite Sendak book, but I see val ...more
Amar Pai
and cried,
"Pierre is surely dead!"

hahaha
Lesley Looper
I remember enjoying reading this story to my students, and I also enjoyed the cassette tape (at the time) of the story put to song, sung by Carole King. Cute story about a little boy with an attitude who gets eaten by a lion. When he gets shaken back out of the lion, he has a whole new attitude! :)
Deborah
Feb 16, 2011 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was little, my mother always pulled out this book and read it to us whenever we told her that we didn't care. Now whenever anyone says that they don't care, I automatically think of this silly book. I really like the book and the moral is a good one.
Dee's Reading Zone
Pierre and the cautionary tale using the words "I DON'T CARE" until Pierre finally started to CARE!
Dianna
Mar 17, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prologue:
"There once was a boy named Pierre
who only would say, "I don't care!"
Read his story, my friend,
for you'll find at the end
that a suitable moral lies there."
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
"There once was a boy named Pierre..." I DON"T CARE! :P
Veronica Youngren
Feb 01, 2017 Veronica Youngren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue by Maurice Sendak, is exactly what the title says it is, a cautionary tale. If only Pierre could have broken through the fourth wall and read the title things might have gone in a different direction. But then again...the story is about Pierre.
Pierre is a headstrong child who has to learn the hard way that words and actions have consequences and that not everyone will be as permissive as his parents are.

This book is written and illustra
Izzy Lorjuste
Mar 18, 2017 Izzy Lorjuste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This could just be my nostalgia speaking, but I remember reading this book again and again from the time I was five until I was at most ten years old. That reason alone is why I'm giving it five stars

I should try and find it again...
Vivian
Nov 23, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is too small to use in a story time setting unless you find a way to enlarge the pages. It is ideal for themes involving lions or MANNERS.
Marsha
Feb 15, 2017 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read as a kid but Whenever I hear someone say"I don't care" the images of this Nutshell book are right there.
Anne (sweetie)
Feb 05, 2017 Anne (sweetie) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my FAVORITE book was I was little! I read it again recently and I still love it. :D (and Pierre is one of my favorite names :D )
Aryka
Jan 02, 2017 Aryka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was One of my favorite books as a child
Luis
Jan 02, 2017 Luis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sggdsadgadfadsdfasdfasdf
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Though I was always disturbed as a kid by the idea that a lion could come along and eat a disagreeable child, I still have fond memories of this book from first grade. The book - and Carole King's sung version, of course - made such an impression on me, that I actually ordered my own copy from the school book order way back when, and somewhere, I still have it.

The premise of the story is that a boy named Pierre doesn't care about anything. Wh
Samantha Westall
Cut rhyming chapter book that will make new readers feel accomplished, as well as teach them a lesson about saying I don't care.
Michael Mendoza
This was indeed a book that I found interesting and was a little shocked by it. For starters, the prologue that was given basically said there is a main idea to this book. I have never seen that before and was right away intrigued to see what it was by the end. But the actual main idea was correct but who it was intended for was up for debate. It could have been for the parents to raise their child better with respect or it could have been for the child to see that if you disrespect your parents ...more
Blake
Sep 16, 2012 Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this little book among our family books that my Mom has saved for us kids. I was looking through those books with her for ideas of books that I can read to my students. One of my favorite things about the book is the title! Hmm, it looks like the title is incorrectly written here. The actual title is: Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue.

My students were familiar with the book because their teacher had read it to them last year. However, they were still excited
David
Jun 14, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue by Maurice Sendak is a classic moral tale of a child who learns a lesson about constantly replying: "I don't care!"

Sendak's illustrations are outstanding, with the humorous touches making the story engaging and effective, but not overly frightening. I love the illustration of the doctor shaking the lion upside down. I also greatly enjoy the long thin drawings above each chapter heading. My other favorite images include pouring syrup, wear
Aaron Siclovan
Sep 16, 2014 Aaron Siclovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pierre is a little boy, who grows up in a family, where he has the opportunity to enjoy life, but he chooses, instead, to be miserable. No matter how hard his parents are trying to educate him, his response is always disrespectful. Pierre is not listening to his parents even though they are telling him to do something for his own benefit. His answer is always "I don't care." Even if he is in danger, Pierre simply is saying that he doesn't care, so that's the way he gets eaten by the lion. Return ...more
Kelley Blakslee
Oct 11, 2016 Kelley Blakslee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With its rhyming words and repeated lines, Sendak's short chapter book about the persistent Pierre begs to be read aloud. Told in five short chapters, the book's moral is a timeless one: caring is important. Sendak uses whimsical images and playful language to tell the story. He includes a small framed image in the title pages of each chapter to sum up what's happening in that chapter. Those in these small frame, as well as the larger images that appear on the right pages, opposite the text, hav ...more
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • The Amazing Bone
  • Little Bear's Visit
  • The Mysterious Tadpole
  • The Three Robbers
  • Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With a Fully-Orchestrated and Narrated CD
  • I, Crocodile
  • Whistle for Willie
  • Rosie's Walk
  • Morris's Disappearing Bag
  • Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse
  • Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock
  • Ira Sleeps Over
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...

Nutshell Library (4 books)
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months