Start by marking “Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)” as Want to Read:
Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)

Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  6,594 ratings  ·  148 reviews
He’s no ordinary kidnapper. Not only does he strike again and again, but he collects the ransom, gets away safely, and leaves his helpless hostages dead. Now, after months of eluding the best that law enforcement can put against him, this monster has left nothing in his wake but a cold trail of unconnected victims.

He’s no ordinary cop. Lucas Jordan, a key agent and profile
Audio CD
Published August 17th 2004 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Fear

2/5 STARS - the very best I can do!

OK ... this is one of those books where I wonder if I read the same story as everyone else. According to the Goodreads statisticians, Hunting Fear has just over 6,000 ratings for an average rating of 4.2/5.0. WOW! I felt very generous by awarding it 2/5 STARS. What up? What planet am I on? What am I missing? Are those 6,000+ folks reading a different version? I don't know. I'm dazed and confused!

I apologize to the many Kay Hooper fans out there but ... a team o
Hunting Fear
4 Stars

SCU member, Lucas Jordan, possesses the unique ability to sense a victim’s terror and uses it to find those who are missing. However, Lucas’s skill is put to the test when a seemingly routine case of kidnapping for ransom turns into something far more dangerous and personal.

Series Note: This is the first book in Hooper’s Fear trilogy but the seventh book in the Bishop Special Crimes Unit series. While this is the first time Lucas and his love interest, Samantha, are introduce
I had mnixed feeling about this one. It was exciting, tension filled and intriguing. The paranormal abilities of the characters were cool. I liked minor characters like Wyett, Lindsey and Caitlin. I thought the villain and his crimes were suitably blood-chilling. All in all I thought it was an exciting, well executed plot.

But I found Lucas surprisingly under developed. In spite of him beind described and intense and focused, but found him lacking in personality. And... I found Samantha unbearabl
Darcia Helle
I am a big fan of Kay Hooper and this book does not disappoint. Hunting Fear is the first in what is sort of a series within a series. The broader series is about a special unit within the FBI, formed by Noah Bishop. All its members have some sort of psychic ability, including "seers" and "mediums". These agents use their abilities to hunt down the worst and most elusive criminals.

The Fear series follows agent Lucas Jordan, as he tries to find a serial killer who makes a game of murder. Lucas' p
Stephanie Stephens
I've read some of the BCU books in the past, and I don't know what I expected this one to be. It's gruesome, and bad things happen to characters that you like. It's kind of like it's a light mystery/romance trying to be a suspense novel. It doesn't quite fit either place. But I will probably read more of these in the future. Because I can't help myself, not because they are great books.
Karen Jones
Hunting Fear was really good. I did, unfortunately, figure out the villain about halfway through, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment.

It wasn't super fast-paced, but it moved along steady enough to keep me unable to set it down easily. I actually read the majority of it today, unable to set it aside until I saw how it all played out.

One thing I did like is the lack of shock-value crime details. Some books, it seems, need to conjure images of horrible murder scenes to make an impact on the reader.
A friend gave me this book and it sat in my bookshelf for a long time before I read it. If I'd known it was this good, I would have read it sooner!

It centres around an FBI unit made up of psychics, although they keep a pretty low profile because of public skepticism. They're hunting a serial killer who kidnaps a victim, collects the ransom and then leaves the victim somewhere to die to see if the psychic can find them. At the start of the book, only one victim has lived so the pressure on the un
This series is written for those who like the supernatural without the input of werewolves, vampires, and other fantasy creatures, but it does contain many psychics. In Hunting Fear, we meet Samantha, who makes her living telling fortunes at a carnival. Pair her with a known psychic who hunts fear, and then toss them together with a super-cynical lawman who cannot believe anything good about someone claiming psychic abilities, and you have a tense, mistrustful situation.

The main strength of this
Sheila Melo
Good Entry in Bishop/Special Crimes Unit Series

Having been disappointed in the last several Bishop books because of the incomplete nature of the romance part of the story, I was more pleased with this book where there is more attention paid to the relationship between the main characters. Unfortunately, however, this book continues the trend of the major plotline being that the two main characters are keeping secrets from one another and that is the tension between them. The suspense plot, howev
Jay Jessmer
This was my first foray into Ms. Hooper's work, and I liked it enough to go forward with more. The story was compelling, the premise original and fairly well thought out and there was just enough suspense to carry things along. The biggest drawback for me was the characters. It's not that I didn't like them, I just couldn't get any real connection or attraction to them. Very little development and they just seemed to "be there". The best parts for me were the descriptiveness during the "captivi ...more
My first time reading a Kay Hooper novel. Enjoyed the heck out of it.One of those rare can't put down books.My only complaint would be that she seems to feel the need to explain everything...This book was a Bishop/Special Crimes Unit Novel.Noah Bishop runs the unit for the FBI. His team consists of unique pro-filers. They are all psychic.In this story, number seven, Noah sends Lucas Jordan to North Carolina where a string of kidnapping victims have turned up dead....Hooper brings some truth into ...more
Lucas Jordan of the FBI’s Special Crimes Unit is good at finding people. His ability to feel the emotions and especially the fears of victims works as a direct GPS system in tracking down those who are lost. But a recent string of serial kidnapping slash killings has eluded him and the SCU for a couple years now. At least there hadn’t been any leads until it seems that the culprit has finally settled into the small town of Golden, North Carolina.

Coming back in contact with Samantha Burke, a fort
Up until this book I had enjoyed reading Kay Hooper’s Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. Each book was a new adventure and I totally had a little crush on Bishop. I took a break before this book because I had a ton of new books to read, but that break didn’t matter. I jumped right back into the SCU world like I’d never left. This time around we focused on Lucas Jordan and his abilities and of course there was a girl that made his life more interesting. The relationship between Lucas and Sam was ...more
Brent Soderstrum
This is book #7 of the Bishop SCU FBI series by Kay Hooper. Maybe I am starting to get burned out on her mysteries. In this one Lucas, a member of Bishop's team, is trying to find a kidnapper/killer who loves to terrify his victims before they are eventually killed. He starts out by kidnapping them, getting the ransom and then instead of letting them go he brutally kills them. In Golden, North Carolina he appears to have settled in for a long killing spree. He starts with local citizens and even ...more
Bestselling author Kay Hooper ratchets up the tension in this fast-paced thriller about a psychic profiler and his hunt for a seemingly invincible murderer. Profiler Lucas Jordan has been able to locate missing people by sensing their fear, the very fear that excites the killer he's trying to find. But there's a twist in the latest kidnapping -- a carnival psychic predicted the crime a week before it happened. Psychic "Zarina" turns out to be Samantha Burke, a woman from Lucas's past; warily, th ...more
I've never yet been disappointed in a Kay Hooper mystery/suspense novel. Hunting Fear was released in hardcover in August 2004 and just released in paperback this month (July, 05). Hunting Fear is the next novel in Kay's "Bishop Special Crimes Unit" series.

From back cover:

"He's no ordinary kidnapper. Not only does he strike again and again, but he collects the ransom, gets away safely, and leaves his hostages dead. Now, after months of eluding the best law enforcement can put against him, this m
Ana T.
I am always looking forward to start a new Hooper book. Even if they they don't make my top reads list they are usually fast paced and intriguing and they make for enjoyable reads. Hunting Fear is no exception and almost made it to the above mentioned list.

Lucas Jordan is another of Bishop's agents. The book starts with Bishop enlisting Jordan which was a really nice bit as I don't think we've been getting enough Bishop in the last books I've read. As the other agents on the team Lucas has a par
Hooper has hit another home run in her special crimes unit series. This outing has one of the most inventive, and creepily clever psychos I've come across.

The series of abductions that turn into murders are stacking up fast and none of the law enforcement members seem to have a clue how to catch and stop him.

The fact that the two key character protagonists Lucas and Jordan are exes lends an extra helping of sexual tension, complexity and interest to their romance - they both want to catch the ki
Amy Corwin
May 26, 2008 Amy Corwin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense and paranormal suspense fans
I always like Kay Hooper's suspense novels featuring Bishop's special FBI unit of psychics. They are entertaining and don't contain a lot of gratuitous sex which is the major fault of so many suspense novels today that use the plot as a vehicle to force characters together. The plot and suspense are the major focus and I very much appreciate it, which is why I'm attempting to collect all of those books in this series.

The only reason I did not give this 5 stars out of 5 is a problem that all of t
The first Kay Hooper book I've read. The psychic parts of it were interesting to me. Good story, scary villain, good suspense.
But I wish there was more back story on Lucas, i feel as I reader i didn't get to know him well, also at times Samantha really bothered me.
I will check out the other novels in this series because I'm interested in the paranormal/psychic aspects. I hope Lucas is in other books in the series because I still want to know more about him.
I found this abandoned at work the other day and decided to read it on break, not a normal read for me I must admit I tend to stay toward young adult fantasy but it was enjoyable enough a nice change and the paranormal aspect appeased the fantasy lover part of me. I recommend this for someone looking for a crime drama with a paranormal twist, though I must admit the love/hate romance got tedious after a while.
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"There's a new psychic on the scene, and he's ready for action: introducing Lucas Jordan, the latest addition to Noah Bishop's crackerjack Special Crimes Unit.

Lucas Jordan has an extraordinary psychic skill that police all over the country find invaluable: he locates missing people. And since being recruited by Noah Bishop for his FBI Special Crimes Unit, Lucas has learned to hone his remarkable ability so that what he does seems little short of miraculous.

He's called in on what appear
Jennifer Coffman love
This is the first Hooper book I have read. Not as good as Cornwell, but not terrible. I didn't do my research and didn't realize it was #7!! No wonder I was a little lost, but it was still a good story. She doesn't seem to get to deep into her characters, but I still liked it and want to read more
Oct 30, 2014 Pamela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kay Hooper fans and mystery lovers
Recommended to Pamela by: no one
Number 7? I love Hooper's books. I guess I'm not reading enough books if I've just found 'Hunting Fear'. It feels like it could stand alone but it's so good I'm glad it is part of a series.

The book jacket can give a much better review than I can.
Oh, I know. I said I would never read any more Kay Hooper books. I said they were crap. And...they are. But apparently she started a new trilogy with the same Special Crime Unit Psychic FBI Agent Characters. And hells bells, I'm weak, you know this. This is the first book in the "Fear" trilogy. It's just as predictable and formulaic as her other Bishop/SCU novels.
There's a psychic who isn't part of the SCU. A member of the SCU comes to the same town to solve the mystery. This person is of the o
Cathy Cusson
This book was a thriller! I could not put it down. It kept me racing through it. I love Luke and Samantha - they make a dynamite team. Can't wait to read more about this special FBI unit.
Clay Carley
Interesting twists

This book continues exploring the paranormal. Very interesting ideas! Bishop isn't a main character but does have influence from the sidelines.
Sam and Luke were a great pairing in this book. I must say though what I enjoyed most was seeing Galen, Bishop and Quentin. I am breaking my rule and jumping right in to the next in the series because I must admit I had a bit of a crush on Quentin and I am excited to read his story.
Glenn Harris
Another in the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. This time the FBI agents with psychic abilities need the help of a carnival medium in their pursuit of a sinister serial killer.
I really enjoyed this book. I mean, I liked it enough to check out parts 2 and 3 at the library but not enough to buy them from Amazon. This was the first thing I had read by this author and if it hadn't been given to me I probably wouldn't have ever read it. The only thing about parts 2 and 3 is that they appear (from the synopsis at the back of the book) to be about different characters. Why would you write a trilogy about different people? Sure, they may be about the same unit but if I am goi ...more
  • Firestorm
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2)
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #2)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #6)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #8)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #9)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #10)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4) Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)

“You know, for someone who holds a position of legal authority as high as yours, you sure do like to throw away the rule book sometimes."

"Knowing the rules is one thing. Following them blindly all the time is something else again.”
“Instead, she got one of the books off her dresser and sat in the eading chair, stretching out her legs and gently resting her feet on he bed. She sat there gazing at Luke's sleeping face for a long ime, then stirred and opened her book.

Softly, she murmured, "You aren't in my future, Luke. Unless I put you there.”