My Mom's Having a Baby!: A Kid's Month-By-Month Guide to Pregnancy

My Mom's Having a Baby!: A Kid's Month-By-Month Guide to Pregnancy

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Elizabeth's mom is having a baby, and the whole family is involved. Elizabeth learns all about the baby's development, and she traces his growth, month by month. This charming book gently answers all sorts of questions any sibling-to-be may have. Full color.
Published January 1st 2005 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about My Mom's Having a Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mom's Having a Baby!

Janisu-chan
This book was on the news last week for being too graphic for children. So, I thought I'd check it out. Maybe I'm not horrified because now all my kids are old enough to know about all this, but I thought it was tastefully done and informative. There are a few pages with 'diagrams' of body parts and such, but they are not overly graphic which is perfect for kids. I will agree that this book is probably not appropriate for children under 5-6 years, but entirely appropriate as a tool for teaching...more
Erin
Huh.

I picked this up because it was on the top ten most frequently challenged books list of 2011(when will you people learn? The only reason I read this is because you tried to ban it. If you don’t want anyone else to read it, never speak of it again!)

The book is told from the point of view of Elizabeth, whose mom is having a baby. Let’s look at the reasons for the attempted banning: nudity, sex education, sexually explicit, and unsuited to age group.

Nudity: check. Well, I was surprised too, whe...more
Suedlana Askharia
My Mom's Having a Baby is known for being on the Challenged/Banned booklist and I can definitely see why. This story is told through a little girl named Elizabeth whose mother is pregnant. Elizabeth gives month to month updates about how her unborn sibling is growing in her mother's uterus. She also describes in detail the process of how babies are made. The reasons listed for banning this book is because of sexuality, a couple of nude (cartoon) pictures, and they find it not to be age approprai...more
Maureen
As most reviewers wrote, I picked this up because it was a banned book and I wanted to see what all the noise was about. Overall, I think this story is well-written and uses all of the appropriate terms for body parts. I like how it goes month by month to show the development and growth of Elizabeth's brother or sister. The book contains many well-drawn and detailed illustrations that will help a child understand how a baby grows.

However, I don't think this book is age-appropriate. I felt like t...more
Shelly
Well, I don't usually pay attention to drama so I knew nothing about the hoopla this book caused. My daughter grabbed it at the library so we started reading it. Because she is 4, I wasn't ready for the information this book has in it. I'm glad the book is out there, but I wish I had known what I was getting into. My daughter immediately caught that I was editing what I was reading. LOL. Anyway, I really liked the parts about getting ready for the baby. The sections about how babies are made was...more
Sharlet Mullen
This book is on the banned book as of 2012, after reading this story and just paging through the book I understand why. There is nudity, sex education through out, sexually explicit pictures, and unsuited to age group pictures portray. At first glance of the cover I would think this is a story to tell a sibling about what to expect while mom is pregnant and help prepare a child for the upcoming new arrival of a baby. As I turned to the second page I saw a magnified picture of a fetus in a mother...more
Josie
I have a four year old that I wouldnt let look at the photos or even read this to her. The photos were not for her age group and the words were not right either. I wouldnt read this to my four year old and I think it's better for when you talk about sex to your child when they are older. This book was in the children area. Where my daughter could find it so easy. I even heard of a mom going on the news about this book and was upset about the book being in the children area.
Anna
Oct 25, 2013 Anna added it
I guess this book is frequently challenged/banned.
Make sure you read this yourself first, to decide if you and your child are ready for it, and if you want to skip some parts! Sex education in a straightforward way for young children. I definitely skipped parts for my almost-4 year old. But he was fascinated with the parts I did read. He likes learning about how he developed, how he grew as a baby inside his mama.
Wayne
I saw this on a top banned books list and almost hoped I would find something to justify it. Nope. It just explains to children where babies come from. It has some diagrams, but nothing that children haven't seen already. Anybody that is surprised by this didn't really pay attention to the title. I don't have a problem with any children reading this book with their parents.
Mary Ann
This is conversational in tone, telling the story of a little girl who's mom is having a baby. It goes month by month about the baby's development. It's a different focus from It's Not the Stork - this follows a baby, and so introduces sex that way. The book by Harris really starts with what are our bodies like, and so focuses on the child more.
Jessie Horcher
This book had a very graphic and honest description of pregnancy. I think it would be useful for a family trying to explain this information, but would not be appropriate for school. I think some of the concepts could be understood by elementary school but middle school students would understand the information the best. It is a banned book.
Mary
This is a wonderful non-fiction account of what it is like to have a baby, written in accessible language to children. I liked how everything was discussed using the real words and not glossed over. If a young child is welcoming a new baby brother or sister, this would be a great way to explain the process!
Miri
Excellent description of the whole process of pregnancy. Very straightforward (which is, of course, why it's on the banned books list). Starts at four weeks and goes through delivery.

Tricia
girls loved the book...goes month to month of mom's pregnancy from perspective of the older sister. had to skip a couple of pages due to pretty graphic illustrations that preschoolers may not be ready to digest. non-fiction book, not picture book.
♡ Kristina
Aug 27, 2013 ♡ Kristina marked it as to-read
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; sex education; sexually explicit; unsuited to age group
Peggy
Yup, definately the book to check out if you want to teach your kids the real story about having a baby. I just wanted to see why one library was asked to ban the book.
Cara
Good book for private use if you want your child to know all the details of conception and birth.
Gabe
Got a young person with questions about babies and sex, read this!
Laura added it
Aug 23, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Ashwin
Ashwin added it
Jul 14, 2014
Sharon James
Sharon James marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Juan Aponte
Juan Aponte marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Rubbie Joya
Rubbie Joya marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Ashley Pauley
Ashley Pauley marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dori Hillestad Butler grew up writing, for she had no brothers or sisters to play with until she was eight years old. The first book she published was The Great Tooth Fairy Rip-Off , it took her many years to sell that book, followed by four more picture books. She then started writing YA books short stories have appeared in anthologies entitled, The Green Umbrella and Other Sports Stories (Highl...more
More about Dori Hillestad Butler...
The Truth about Truman School Do You Know the Monkey Man? The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1) Yes, I Know the Monkey Man The Case of the Missing Family (The Buddy Files, #3)