Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  7,488 ratings  ·  1,864 reviews
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by HarperCollins Children's Books

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThis is Not a Test by Courtney SummersThe Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen
2012 Young Adult Standalone Challenge
11th out of 235 books — 831 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenEasy by Tammara WebberThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayThe Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty MoseleyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
TO DIE FOR 2012 - 2013 STAND-ALONES
23rd out of 470 books — 3,584 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

Edit 04/04/2013: I read this almost a year ago now and it still haunts me in the best possible way. So I just wanted to share this song with you because it reminds me of this book so much.

.............................................................................

"Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories. Like we may as well just be words on a page, because we're only what we've done and what we are going to do."

Everything about the appearance and description of this book it seems is...more
Wendy Darling
I DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS INTERPRETATION OF MY CHARACTER.

But character assassination aside, this was beautifully, intelligently written, and rather splendid in its savagery.
Julianna Helms
**Thank you, THANK YOU, HarperTeen, for giving me this ARC. <3**

Actual, full review: Original is here on my blog.(Note: due to copy-and-paste, formatting and links have been lost. Except for one of them that I manually linked.)

starred review.

I devoured this book the way a starved man engulfs food.

Tiger Lily has this addictive quality to it, kind of like a drug. It's beautiful and sad and terrible and heartbreaking; it's merciless and benign and desperate and raw. It's feral: words that spill...more
Mimi Valentine
"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case..." -Tinker Bell

I grew up loving Disney's version of Peter Pan, wishing I could move to Neverland and never grow old. But this book only makes me love it infinitely MORE!

This book is told, not from Tiger Lily's point of v...more
Crowinator
**No spoilers for plot, though I've gone and discussed the tone of the ending, which might be considered a spoiler to some.**

"Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win. In some places, there is something ultimately good about endings. In Neverland, that is not the case."

This is the story of the thorny romance between Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, before and after t...more
Krys
Keertana
4.5/5 Stars

If you’ve ever wanted to visit Neverland, all you’d have to do is pick up a copy of Tiger Lily and immerse yourself in the rich world of pirates, natives, faeries, and the lost boys that Anderson has created so vividly. In many ways, reading Tiger Lily is much like being sprinkled with faerie dust yourself – magical, unbelievable, and emotionally touching. I’ll admit that I only picked up this novel because of its beautiful cover – honestly, how do you resist that? – but I found...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
Before. This is the before. Before the infamous Wendy, there was Tiger Lily. This is her story.

3.5 stars. Expect the unexpected. This is not Peter Pan as you know it. This is Tiger Lily as seen through the eyes of Tinker Bell.

At first, I wasn't sure what to make of a story being told about one person while using the voice of another person (okay, little flying pixie bug thingamajig). It took me several chapters to warm up to the style of writing. I couldn't get past the fact that Tink was flyin...more
Hershey

What can I say about this book? I am staring at my laptop screen thinking of how to put the various jumbled thoughts of mine into comprehensible words.

Let me first tell you how I felt after reading Tiger Lily.
1) I wanted to go to Neverland.
2) I wanted to cuddle and treasure Tinker Bell.
3) I wanted to scream and cry and laugh at the s...more
NotoriousGOT
When I first saw Tiger Lily hidden among all the other Harper Teen galleys, I was like, "Oh what the shit is this? A retelling of Peter Pan? NOOO!!!". Then I picked it up and read the back summary and thought, "Nooo!!! It's a love triangle with Peter, Tiger Lily and Wendy? NOOOOOO!!!" Then I actually started reading the book and I realized "Holy $%@&! This is really amazing and not at all what I expected." And thus began my relationship with Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson.

This story, told...more
Victoria

“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've ever heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win.”

You know there are some books that you first took a glimpse of it and thought it was going to okay, but then when you delve into the story, it was better than what you expected and then overcome all your expectations? Tiger Lily was one of those kind of books that suprised me--in a very good way. Tiger Lily was j...more
Scarlet
2.5

Tiger Lily has all the elements of a good book. Lovely writing, fascinating characters, a place as wild and beautiful as Neverland, a tragic tale of first love. Yet, it lacks the one thing that is so crucial to making a book work, especially a love-story. It lacks passion.

This book was painfully lacklustre. It did not evoke any strong emotions in me. Even the parts that were supposed to be gut-wrenching barely made me bat an eyelid. I kept waiting for something to tug at my heart but the clos...more
Jean
This was a difficult book for me. I've been fascinated by Tiger Lily, as a character, since youth, and the idea of a book based from her point of view? Fantastic! But the book itself is a mixed bag. You know the expression, 'Too many chefs ruin the soup?' Too many ingredients can as well, as this book shows off too well.When you begin to realize that it's gimmick layered upon gimmick... Well, I came to terms with it, but that's when I started to see just what was bothering me about it. Don't get...more
Blythe
Guess who now owns a copy of this book?

Guess.

Keep guessing.

(view spoiler)
Misty
This. This sounds effing awesome.
Nafiza
I liked this in the way you like things that take your heart and twist it tightly. And painfully.

*clears throat* Here we go:

I don’t know if I’m ready to write a review of this book. Then again, I don’t know if I ever will so let me put on my big girl pants and get on with it.

The novel is narrated from Tinkerbell’s perspective and before I continue, I must point out a sticking point here. Tink says she has no language (by which I think she meant she can’t talk) but she is TALKING or rather narra...more
Sam
My heart is aching.

I loved this book more than I can even explain.
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)

This shall be the first book I've ever read in which I am unable to rate it. The reason is simply because I can't decide whether I love it to death, or hate it beyond reason.

Very brief description: A retelling of Peter Pan when before Peter falls for Wendy, he falls in love with Tiger Lily, the Indian girl with crow feathers in her hair. The story is told from the perspective of Tinker Bell, who is also in love with Peter but is loyal only to Tiger Lily.
It's completely different from the origi...more
Audrey  *Ebook and Romance Lover*
*October 15,2013 edit: Pictures and a little bit re-written!

I have always liked the Peter Pan Stories and the movies. When I first saw the cartoon 1953 Peter Pan movie and then the second part of the movie with Wendy's daughter and then the human version of the movie, I just immediately fell in love with the story. I just knew that the Peter Pan and I were a match *(he was my first book boyfriend after Gilbert Blythe of course).For days I would think about the movie and pretend with my sister...more
Faye (The Social Potato)

I think it's safe to say this is one of the best retellings out there. Yes? Yes?

I can't sing this book praises enough. I haven't really read the Peter Pan books and have only watched a few of its cartoon episodes when I was younger, but I remembering shipping Wendy and Peter Pan so hard. I remember being attracted to Peter's charm and antics, and I've always felt a sense of adventure and fun during the good old days. But after reading Tiger Lily, it left my heart in a raw and broken state with...more
Summer {is puntastic}

Halfway through reading Tiger Lily, I was sure that this would end up being a 4-star-read. After finishing that last note, that last P.S., I realized how wrong I was.

At that point it hit me that Tiger Lily made it to the top of my 2013 favorites list, catching me by surprise and leaving me at a loss for word...more
Megan
TIGER LILY is a gorgeous story that transcends the young adult genre at the same time that it's the perfect YA novel. While the themes are mature--colonization, identity, love, confidence, religion--the protagonist is young and, I thought, intensely relatable. The love story is sweet but uncompromisingly honest. Anderson writing does not cater/pander to a younger reader, which I always find so refreshing. And it's a retelling of the Peter Pan story, doing what Wicked did for The Wizard of Oz sto...more
Jill
God, I am such a sucker. Give me an excellent ending and I will add at least one star to any rating. While reading Tiger Lily, I was merely whelmed. But then the final chapters slapped me in the face and made me cry and I’m like okay okay I’ve totally forgotten everything that was whelming since now I am overwhelmed! Just stop making me cry please! Please?

What didn’t impress me was the narration. Although a daring choice, Tinker Bell narrating a story that belonged entirely to Tiger Lily held me...more
What a beautifully, wonderful tragic love story. I absolutely adored Tiger Lily, so much so that I'm finding a hard time putting my thoughts into words.

Peter Pan has always been one of my favorite stories. I loved it when I was little – in all forms. The Disney version, the play, the novel, you name it, I loved it. Maybe it's something about never growing old and always being a dreamer. Maybe it's about magic and fairies and mermaids. Whatever it is, I always connected to the story. I always a...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
I finished TIGER LILY with a gasp a goosebumps, head over heels in love with the characters and world that Anderson created. I was hesitant to start it, Tiger Lily was always a character that fired my imagination, but even my childhood daydreams couldn’t quite fit her happily ever after into the myth. In TIGER LILY, Jodi Lynn Anderson has given me the Peter Pan story I’ve always dreamed of, gorgeously written, intimate, and inspired.

As I read TIGER LILY my mind’s eye kept flashing to Disney’s cl...more
Jasprit
Peter Pan and I have a complicated sort of relationship, parts of me love the idea of Neverland and the idea of never growing up, but then there parts of me that I can be a sore thumb about. I don’t actually remember growing up reading Peter Pan, but the book was given to me by someone at some point, so I always saw it around the house. But I grew up watching Hook the movie starring Robin Williams and have lost count of times I’ve watched it, I was captivated by the world then and then fell in l...more
Annabel ♥
This review is also posted on Leopard Kitty Books

I am crying right now. This was an amazing story. I'm in love.

I've always found it incredibly difficult to choose a favorite book. I have read so many awesome books in my lifetime that it is impossible to pick just one that was my absolute favorite. But here, I have a winner. The story of Tiger Lily takes the top slot on my favorite books.

I loved everything about it. I have not one complaint. I warn you, if you read this book, you will cry loud...more
Karina Halle
Five sparkling stars.

Brilliant and exquisite.

This was quite the unexpected surprise, to be honest. Tiger Lily had been on my bookshelf for some time (I'm quite the hardcover hoarder). Yesterday, on a whim, I plucked it out of the shelf and was immediately immersed in the gorgeously realistic yet fantastical world that Jodi Lynn Anderson has created.

Tiger Lily is an engaging re-imagining of Peter Pan that makes me look at the story (and, let's face it, Disney film) in a whole new way. The story i...more
Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson is definitely my new favorite read of 2012. I was entranced by the beautiful, poetic and beautifully descriptive writing that attracted my attention instantly. This is not a typical Young Adult book. Be warned; it will leave you heartbroken and yet make you crave more of Neverland. It doesn't matter if you have read the original story by J.M. Barrie or not. You'll be enraptured by this enthralling retelling of Peter Pan.

"Let me tell you something straight off. Th...more
Marla Mei
Enchanting and magical. A captivating read.

Tiger Lily has left me in awe and out of words. I will not be able to justify the brilliance of this book by mere sentences alone. Never. I don't think I am capable of constructing a review that this book truly deserves.

This book will always be kept in my heart. This isn't just an ordinary read. My journey with this book is special and dear. It's been a long time since a book has made this great impact to me. I'll never be able to forget Tiger Lily.
Addicted to YA: Tiger Lily 17 181 Jan 26, 2014 06:56PM
What did you think? 25 158 Dec 13, 2013 11:23PM
I kind of wish this were a series :/ 3 45 Oct 06, 2013 11:33PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson>>>> Starts July 16,2013 41 20 Jul 18, 2013 10:07AM
Bookworm Bitches : February 2013: Tiger Lily 47 269 Jun 10, 2013 08:48AM
Who are your favorite characters? 1 15 May 19, 2013 09:13PM
  • Vessel
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • The Girl With Borrowed Wings
  • Shadows on the Moon
  • This is Not a Test
  • The Lost Girl
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Kill Me Softly
  • In the Shadow of Blackbirds
  • The Wicked and the Just
  • Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1)
  • Team Human
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)
  • Teeth
  • Poison
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
I write books about vaguely magical peach orchards, resorts in the afterlife, enigmatic island princesses beloved by Tinkerbell, and...civics! I was an awkward and strange child who kept lots of secrets. Now I live with a sweet Basenji dog named Peanut who loves to eat shoes, and a sweet husband who is good at all the things I'm bad at, like being organized and thinking things through. I've loved...more
More about Jodi Lynn Anderson...
Peaches (Peaches, #1) The Secrets of Peaches (Peaches, #2) May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1) May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2) Love and Peaches (Peaches, #3)

“Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories. Like we may as well just be words on a page, because we're only what we've done and what we are going to do.” 337 likes
“Did you know I always thought you were braver than me? Did you ever guess that that was why I was so afraid? It wasn't that I only loved some of you. But I wondered if you could ever love more than some of me.

I knew I'd miss you. But the surprising thing is, you never leave me. I never forget a thing. Every kind of love, it seems, is the only one. It doesn't happen twice. And I never expected that you could have a broken heart and love with it too, so much that it doesn't seem broken at all. I know young people look at me and think my youth seems so far away, but it's all around me, and you're all around me. Tiger Lily, do you think magic exists if it can be explained? I can explain why I loved you, I can explain the theory of evolution that tells me why mermaids live in Neverland and nowhere else. But it still feels magic.

The lost boys all stood at our wedding. Does it seem odd to you that they could have stood at a wedding that wasn't yours and mine? It does to me. and I'm sorry for it, and for a lot, and I also wouldn't change it.

It is so quiet here. Even with all the trains and the streets and the people. It's nothing like the jungle. The boys have grown. Everything has grown. Do you think you will ever grow? I hope not. I like to think that even if I change and fade away, some other people won't.

I like to think that one day after I die, at least one small particle of me - of all the particles that will spread everywhere - will float all the way to Neverland, and be part of a flower or something like that, like that poet said, the one that your Tik Tok loved. I like to think that nothing's final, and that everyone gets to be together even when it looks like they don't, that it all works out even when all the evidence seems to say something else, that you and I are always young in the woods, and that I'll see you sometime again, even if it's not with any kind of eyes I know of or understand. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the way things go after all - that all things end happy. Even for you and Tik Tok. and for you and me.

Always,
Your Peter

P.S. Please give my love to Tink. She was always such a funny little bug.”
313 likes