Start by marking “Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)

Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Professional dog walker Ellie Engleman doesn't know much about the ins and outs of dog shows. But when one handler is killed, Ellie will learn that it's a dog-eat-dog world. Especially since the killer might now have it out for her. She and her sometime boyfriend, Detective Sam Ryder, will have to dig up the truth faster than a speeding bulldog...
Published June 1st 2010 by NAL (first published May 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Show

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books About Animals
370th out of 873 books — 1,276 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Best Talking-Animal Books
212th out of 541 books — 552 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book, "Death in Show" by Judi McCoy has been on my TBR piles for a bit. What a lovely book to read. I was so amused by my fictional friends, Ellie Engleman and her main man, Rudy.

The dialog between Ellie and Rudy are at times funny even when Rudy tells dreadful jokes. Oh, did I mention that Ellie can talk to Rudy and Rudy can talk to Ellie. The excitement being that Rudy is a dog. Ellie is his owner, a human. Ellie's human boyfriend is somewhat accepting of Ellie's eccentricity but gets ve
Susan
Lori Whitwam
I'd hoped the series would rebound with #3, after a disappointing second book, but it got worse. Still no additional character or relationship development, progression of Ellie's ability to communicate with Rudy, either by the connection changing or strengthening, or bringing a friend or other character into the equation (telling them what she can do). Plus, the mystery this time was weak. I figured who did it, and how, by the halfway point. I might have accepted this if the characters were beco ...more
Lokki
Death in Show is the third book in McCoy's light, fluffy mystery series. Despite the fact that the plot always centres around a murder, the books are very light-hearted and the mysteries not really all that hard to untangle. Still, the books provide an entertaining diversion, especially for dog lovers.

Ellie Engleman has a rare talent. She can talk to dogs, really talk to them and they answer back. No wonder she has done so well with her dog walking business. When one of her charges, a stuck-up
May
Jun 04, 2010 May rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fiction readers who also love dogs
Shelves: mystery, series
I've been a fan of this series because as a dog and mystery lover - how could I not? Ellie, our heroine who falls into murders all too easily, is such a sweet heroine - I love going along on her adventures. Paired with the fact that she can talk to dogs + hear what they're saying, and it's a set up for me to love.

This is book #3, and well, the new & excitingness of the series is gone. I found myself interested, but at the same time feeling like it was a bit bland, a bit dull, a bit tired. I
Julia
I picked up this book because I like cozy mysteries, and I like stories about dogs. I was surprised when 6 pages into the book, the main character Ellie, began psychically talking to dogs. I do enjoy reading paranormal stories, but there was nothing on the cover to indicate this story had a paranormal element.

The book was entertaining. The method used in the murder was unusual and interesting. It did seem that at the end Ellie was a little too naive and got into trouble because of it. I don't kn
Myhotstylist
3rd in series, In this episode, we follow Ellie as she tries to uncover the murder of her client, Flora and champion Lulu's dog handler. Since Lulu's handler dropped dead on the dog show floor, the show must go on so Ellie is talked into tbeing the new handler. As if she didnt have enough problems, Arnie the handler died from an unknown sustance, and someone is trying to frame Flora for the murder with mysterious dog treats. Ellie and Rudy do some serious sniffing around to uncover the murderer. ...more
Danielle
Totally awesome! The more I read these- the more I love my dog! I love reading these fascinating stories about who-killed-who while getting the love quotient and the sarcastic commentary from the dog-- TOO FUNNY! I love this series! Yet again, Ellie and her dog Rudy end up cracking the case before the police do, but the trusty detective comes to bail them out when in trouble. It's the type of book that you have the hunch of what will happen, but aren't really sure, so you stay up late reading un ...more
Jeanne Quigley
A very enjoyable, charming story. The mystery was intriguing and I liked the dog show setting. I love the main character's ability to talk with dogs. I want that power!
Sara
Being a dog-lover, I'm naturally drawn to Judi McCoy's Dog Walker mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed the first two. Book three, Death In Show, did NOT disappoint! The "dog show world" is a character all its own and really added to this storyline. Ellie and her canine charges again provide many comic moments (and I really want to know what's up with Cheech and Chong!) plus there are some surprises along the way.

Judi, you did it again! I have only one request....write faster! LOL!
Waverly Curtis
I love these books. I would give them a 5 but they're kind of fluffy, which is a kind of book I like but I guess I feel I can only give 5's to serious books. This book is fun, has a lowkey romantic subplot. Love the way the main character can talk with all of the dogs she walks. The mystery is based around showing a champion Havanese and so I learned a bit about how to show a dog (not that much). Engaging characters. Breezy read. I'm going on to the next one.
Dawn
This is the 3rd in the series but it is the first one I read. I enjoyed it so much I quickly found the first 2 at the library and read those right away as well. The story is just so fun listening to the conversations between Ellie and the dogs. Perfect when you just want to read and relax and not have to think too much.
Kelley
There wasn't enough mystery in this one, however a lot of dog show stuff going on, which was why I picked to read it right now, with Westminster last week, and the cluster this past weekend, was in a dog show mood. However if my dog could talk to me, I would think he would be sweet and not grumpy like Rudy;)
Amber Polo
I really wanted to like this book, but stopped at page 13. Sorry but a
Dog show error when the “expert” says “Winner’s Bitch in the Toy Group" makes me sure there was no fact checking. There are so many super dog world mysteries. Look for experts like Sheila Webster Boneham, Donna Ball, and Susan Conant.
Karin
Very cute, liked it very much. Would give it 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 stars. I wasn't able to figure out who the killer was until the last few chapters so I think the mystery was good. I like that her and the "defective detective"'s relationship is progressing nicely.
Trayz
I was enjoying this until I got two thirds of the way through when the main character made a racist statement referring to two chihuahua's as "bean eaters". This was the first and last book I'll be reading by this author.
Sandra Hernandez
Good book I did find myself getting bored 3/4 of the way through the book but overall it still was a good read and it was interesting to see Ellie and Sam romance develop more
Janeene Timothy
You have to really like dogs to enjoy these books! Her conversations with the dogs sometimes gets pretty stupid! Easy read though if you have nothing else to do!
Janet
These books are steadily improving. Sometimes it takes a while for authors to hit their stride. McCoy has definitely hit hers. Here’s hoping she can keep it up.
Renee
A fairly light cozy about a professional dog-walker in NYC, this book was enjoyable and a pleasant way to fall asleep at night.
Allie Danek
It was okay, the whole talking to dog thing sometimes got to be too much.
Jen
Entertaining and excellent, as always! Looking forward to the next one!
Heather
Cute. I wish Rudy wasn't so sarcastic about Detective Sam.
Rosie
I love the series, i love Rudy. Its a fun book =)
Tara Choate
Disappointed because of so many inaccuracies.
Danielle Smiley
Cute mysytery, but went along pretty slow.
Deborah
...still a cute series...
Cony
fun book...great dogs...
Diane
This one was not as fast a read as expected. Ok ending.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Howl Deadly (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #8)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #3)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
Passed away February 18, 2012
More about Judi McCoy...

Dog Walker Mysteries (6 books)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries, #2)
  • Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)
Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1) Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries, #2) Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4) Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5) Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)