Start by marking “Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)

Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries #3)

Professional dog walker Ellie Engleman doesn't know much about the ins and outs of dog shows. But when one handler is killed, Ellie will learn that it's a dog-eat-dog world. Especially since the killer might now have it out for her. She and her sometime boyfriend, Detective Sam Ryder, will have to dig up the truth faster than a speeding bulldog...
Published June 1st 2010 by NAL (first published May 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Show

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Mar 10, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This book, "Death in Show" by Judi McCoy has been on my TBR piles for a bit. What a lovely book to read. I was so amused by my fictional friends, Ellie Engleman and her main man, Rudy.

The dialog between Ellie and Rudy are at times funny even when Rudy tells dreadful jokes. Oh, did I mention that Ellie can talk to Rudy and Rudy can talk to Ellie. The excitement being that Rudy is a dog. Ellie is his owner, a human. Ellie's human boyfriend is somewhat accepting of Ellie's eccentricity but gets ve
Lori Whitwam
Aug 30, 2010 Lori Whitwam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-dog
I'd hoped the series would rebound with #3, after a disappointing second book, but it got worse. Still no additional character or relationship development, progression of Ellie's ability to communicate with Rudy, either by the connection changing or strengthening, or bringing a friend or other character into the equation (telling them what she can do). Plus, the mystery this time was weak. I figured who did it, and how, by the halfway point. I might have accepted this if the characters were beco ...more
Susan
Michael crage
Jan 10, 2017 Michael crage rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read. The series is about a woman who walks dogs for a living and is able to talk with the dogs. She seems to find dead bodies or at least be involved with dead people. In this book, her boyfriend (?) is the detective who's job is to solve murders in the township they live in. He doesn't want her being involved in the solving of the murders, while she finds reasons that makes her feel she has to do so. I won't say any more about the book. I want you to have the enjoyment o ...more
Lokki
May 01, 2015 Lokki rated it it was ok
Death in Show is the third book in McCoy's light, fluffy mystery series. Despite the fact that the plot always centres around a murder, the books are very light-hearted and the mysteries not really all that hard to untangle. Still, the books provide an entertaining diversion, especially for dog lovers.

Ellie Engleman has a rare talent. She can talk to dogs, really talk to them and they answer back. No wonder she has done so well with her dog walking business. When one of her charges, a stuck-up
May
May 23, 2010 May rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fiction readers who also love dogs
Shelves: series, mystery
I've been a fan of this series because as a dog and mystery lover - how could I not? Ellie, our heroine who falls into murders all too easily, is such a sweet heroine - I love going along on her adventures. Paired with the fact that she can talk to dogs + hear what they're saying, and it's a set up for me to love.

This is book #3, and well, the new & excitingness of the series is gone. I found myself interested, but at the same time feeling like it was a bit bland, a bit dull, a bit tired. I
Julia
Jan 28, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I like cozy mysteries, and I like stories about dogs. I was surprised when 6 pages into the book, the main character Ellie, began psychically talking to dogs. I do enjoy reading paranormal stories, but there was nothing on the cover to indicate this story had a paranormal element.

The book was entertaining. The method used in the murder was unusual and interesting. It did seem that at the end Ellie was a little too naive and got into trouble because of it. I don't kn
Danielle
Jul 08, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Totally awesome! The more I read these- the more I love my dog! I love reading these fascinating stories about who-killed-who while getting the love quotient and the sarcastic commentary from the dog-- TOO FUNNY! I love this series! Yet again, Ellie and her dog Rudy end up cracking the case before the police do, but the trusty detective comes to bail them out when in trouble. It's the type of book that you have the hunch of what will happen, but aren't really sure, so you stay up late reading un ...more
Myhotstylist
Jun 03, 2011 Myhotstylist rated it it was amazing
3rd in series, In this episode, we follow Ellie as she tries to uncover the murder of her client, Flora and champion Lulu's dog handler. Since Lulu's handler dropped dead on the dog show floor, the show must go on so Ellie is talked into tbeing the new handler. As if she didnt have enough problems, Arnie the handler died from an unknown sustance, and someone is trying to frame Flora for the murder with mysterious dog treats. Ellie and Rudy do some serious sniffing around to uncover the murderer. ...more
Sara
May 30, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
Being a dog-lover, I'm naturally drawn to Judi McCoy's Dog Walker mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed the first two. Book three, Death In Show, did NOT disappoint! The "dog show world" is a character all its own and really added to this storyline. Ellie and her canine charges again provide many comic moments (and I really want to know what's up with Cheech and Chong!) plus there are some surprises along the way.

Judi, you did it again! I have only one request....write faster! LOL!
Waverly Curtis
May 09, 2012 Waverly Curtis rated it really liked it
I love these books. I would give them a 5 but they're kind of fluffy, which is a kind of book I like but I guess I feel I can only give 5's to serious books. This book is fun, has a lowkey romantic subplot. Love the way the main character can talk with all of the dogs she walks. The mystery is based around showing a champion Havanese and so I learned a bit about how to show a dog (not that much). Engaging characters. Breezy read. I'm going on to the next one.
Dorothy Timm
Mar 23, 2016 Dorothy Timm rated it liked it
Really an average of 3 1/2. The three was because I just couldn't believe her "talking" to her dog, or her charges. Also, the relationship with her and her boyfriend, and most especially her dog and her boyfriend didn't make sense to me. However, I'd give a four to the idea that I guessed who the murderer was fairly early on. And I like dogs, so the fact that there were all these cute little dogs involved was fun. I just wish they hadn't "talked". Too incredible.
Jennifer Blackburn
Jun 20, 2016 Jennifer Blackburn rated it really liked it
Well the series gets better and better. I finished the third book to the series and now onto the fourth. Reading is my outlet to getting away from the real world for awhile and what better way then a great book and series. I feel as though I am a part of the characters in the the book and I learn new things. This book I learned about dart frogs and how they become poisoned. So onto book four of the series
Dawn
Feb 04, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd in the series but it is the first one I read. I enjoyed it so much I quickly found the first 2 at the library and read those right away as well. The story is just so fun listening to the conversations between Ellie and the dogs. Perfect when you just want to read and relax and not have to think too much.
Amber Polo
Aug 20, 2013 Amber Polo rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs
I really wanted to like this book, but stopped at page 13. Sorry but a
Dog show error when the “expert” says “Winner’s Bitch in the Toy Group" makes me sure there was no fact checking. There are so many super dog world mysteries. Look for experts like Sheila Webster Boneham, Donna Ball, and Susan Conant.
Kelley
Jun 09, 2010 Kelley rated it liked it
There wasn't enough mystery in this one, however a lot of dog show stuff going on, which was why I picked to read it right now, with Westminster last week, and the cluster this past weekend, was in a dog show mood. However if my dog could talk to me, I would think he would be sweet and not grumpy like Rudy;)
Anne
Dec 31, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dog mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery, dogs
This was a cute story. But the author needs to do some research into dog shows. Having shown dogs for 35 years before retiring, there were some glaring mistakes about awards, groups, ribbons and other things. I did enjoy the characters and especially the cute Havanese, but once again, talking dogs are not my thing.
Trayz
Sep 20, 2010 Trayz rated it did not like it
Shelves: everything-dogs
I was enjoying this until I got two thirds of the way through when the main character made a racist statement referring to two chihuahua's as "bean eaters". This was the first and last book I'll be reading by this author.
Karin
Jan 20, 2011 Karin rated it liked it
Very cute, liked it very much. Would give it 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 stars. I wasn't able to figure out who the killer was until the last few chapters so I think the mystery was good. I like that her and the "defective detective"'s relationship is progressing nicely.
Jen
Jun 25, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Entertaining and excellent, as always! Looking forward to the next one!
Janet Windeguth
Dec 20, 2011 Janet Windeguth rated it liked it
These books are steadily improving. Sometimes it takes a while for authors to hit their stride. McCoy has definitely hit hers. Here’s hoping she can keep it up.
Danielle Smiley
Jul 19, 2010 Danielle Smiley rated it liked it
Cute mysytery, but went along pretty slow.
Cony
Sep 17, 2012 Cony rated it it was amazing
fun book...great dogs...
Heather
Nov 29, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Cute. I wish Rudy wasn't so sarcastic about Detective Sam.
Libby
(E-Lib) This was cute. I like how Rudy tried to impress Lulu.
Jeanne Quigley
Jan 20, 2014 Jeanne Quigley rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable, charming story. The mystery was intriguing and I liked the dog show setting. I love the main character's ability to talk with dogs. I want that power!
Allie Danek
Oct 10, 2010 Allie Danek rated it liked it
It was okay, the whole talking to dog thing sometimes got to be too much.
Diane
Sep 26, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
This one was not as fast a read as expected. Ok ending.
Janeene Timothy
Apr 07, 2011 Janeene Timothy rated it it was ok
You have to really like dogs to enjoy these books! Her conversations with the dogs sometimes gets pretty stupid! Easy read though if you have nothing else to do!
Renee
Jun 09, 2012 Renee rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A fairly light cozy about a professional dog-walker in NYC, this book was enjoyable and a pleasant way to fall asleep at night.
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
  • Elvis And The Memphis Mambo Murders
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Reel Murder (Talk Radio Mystery #2)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Short Squeeze
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
Passed away February 18, 2012
More about Judi McCoy...

Dog Walker Mysteries (6 books)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries, #2)
  • Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (Dog Walker Mysteries, #5)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)